Jump to topic:

Fruit of the Spirit

stubs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2012 1:15:08 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
This was an interesting fact I learned in Greek today that I wanted to share with the other Christians on this site or anyone else that is interested. Some of you guys probably already know this, but I'm not that smart so I didn't haha.

Galatians 5:22-23 says:

"22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law."

In this verse the word for fruit is pronounced "karpos" (That's not how it's spelled, just how it sounds.) The word is actually singular meaning there is only one fruit of the spirit. Some people will read that and think there are 9, however there are not.

This also means someone can't say, "I'm not very good at self-control, but I have the rest of the fruit of the spirit." If you don't have that, then you don't have the fruit of the spirit for there is only one.

Just an interesting fact I wanted to share with anyone who was interested.

Thanks.
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2012 1:20:34 PM
At 9/7/2012 1:15:08 PM, stubs wrote:
This was an interesting fact I learned in Greek today that I wanted to share with the other Christians on this site or anyone else that is interested. Some of you guys probably already know this, but I'm not that smart so I didn't haha.

"22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law."

In this verse the word for fruit is pronounced "karpos" (That's not how it's spelled, just how it sounds.) The word is actually singular meaning there is only one fruit of the spirit. Some people will read that and think there are 9, however there are not.

This also means someone can't say, "I'm not very good at self-control, but I have the rest of the fruit of the spirit." If you don't have that, then you don't have the fruit of the spirit for there is only one.

Thanks.

So translations and transcriptions are in error? Did you Greek professor explane how the punctuation got in there? Point....The text is full of mistakes and human error so quoting it outside a theological operant, reflecting a faith community is ignorant.
stubs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2012 1:24:14 PM
At 9/7/2012 1:20:34 PM, logicrules wrote:
So translations and transcriptions are in error? Did you Greek professor explane how the punctuation got in there? Point....The text is full of mistakes and human error so quoting it outside a theological operant, reflecting a faith community is ignorant.

Translations can never be perfect because there is never a word that perfectly translates. The reason for this often mistake is because in English if there is an orange on the table we say, "There is fruit on the table." If there are two oranges we say, "There is fruit on the table." It has to do with the singular and plural of the word. Nothing to do with a transcription error.
TheAsylum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2012 1:28:58 PM
At 9/7/2012 1:15:08 PM, stubs wrote:

Thanks.

Thanks. I got this out of it;
I'm not very good at self-control, but I have the rest of the fruit of the spirit.
I have alot of self-control in many things but sometimes esp. when dealing wit people and the Word of God and thier of repsect and Biblical knowledge, I lose it. You inspired me to do better, Thanks.
TheAsylum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2012 1:30:18 PM
I'm not very good at self-control, but I have the rest of the fruit of the spirit.
I have alot of self-control in many things but sometimes esp. when dealing wit people and the Word of God and thier LACK of reSpect and Biblical knowledge, I lose it. You inspired me to do better, Thanks.

Sorry.
stubs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2012 1:31:21 PM
At 9/7/2012 1:28:58 PM, TheAsylum wrote:
I have alot of self-control in many things but sometimes esp. when dealing wit people and the Word of God and thier of repsect and Biblical knowledge, I lose it. You inspired me to do better, Thanks.

You also made a good point. Just because some areas are harder for us, it does not mean we do not have the fruit of the spirit. Everyone just struggles with different things. Thanks for your input.
TheAsylum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2012 1:34:12 PM
At 9/7/2012 1:31:21 PM, stubs wrote:
At 9/7/2012 1:28:58 PM, TheAsylum wrote:

You also made a good point. Just because some areas are harder for us, it does not mean we do not have the fruit of the spirit. Everyone just struggles with different things. Thanks for your input.

I understand and I think you should feel free to voice your opinion more because the Lord works with you. I struggle in the above mentioned because, I feel so strong to God, it upsets me when not only non-believers reject it but when self proclaimed Christians teach errors to others and lead them astray. Thanks for your input.
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2012 2:33:43 PM
At 9/7/2012 1:24:14 PM, stubs wrote:

Translations can never be perfect because there is never a word that perfectly translates. The reason for this often mistake is because in English if there is an orange on the table we say, "There is fruit on the table." If there are two oranges we say, "There is fruit on the table." It has to do with the singular and plural of the word. Nothing to do with a transcription error.

mmm When it comes to scripture transcriptions are all we have, and those are translated. As to you perfect comment...nothings perfect, but translations can be very good provided they are multidisciplinary. See, in the oldest source documents we have for scripture there is no punctuation or word separation, If a letter is left out or put with the wrong word it can change everything because of the nature of ancient languages. That is further complicated by all the redactions and theologies seeking God's blessing.

eg In law there is a motion called Pro Hac Vicae......but there is no latin word HAC, its a mistake that is now universal in the US litigation practice. (it took less than a generation)
stubs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2012 2:40:00 PM
At 9/7/2012 2:33:43 PM, logicrules wrote:
At 9/7/2012 1:24:14 PM, stubs wrote:

mmm When it comes to scripture transcriptions are all we have, and those are translated.

Yep

As to you perfect comment...nothings perfect, but translations can be very good provided they are multidisciplinary. See, in the oldest source documents we have for scripture there is no punctuation or word separation,

In a lot of them yes.

If a letter is left out or put with the wrong word it can change everything because of the nature of ancient languages. That is further complicated by all the redactions and theologies seeking God's blessing.

eg In law there is a motion called Pro Hac Vicae......but there is no latin word HAC, its a mistake that is now universal in the US litigation practice. (it took less than a generation)

This post did not have much to do with the thread or anything I posted. I will gladly do my best to answer any related questions.