Jump to topic:

Questions2 Christians who take a liberal view

phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 2:45:46 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
The Bible is a collection of books written by man about the the Judeo-Christian God and Christianity. The books which were to be included in the Bible were also decided by man via a counsel.

If this is the case, isn't it probable that some books of the Bible should probably never have been included, such as some old testament books and Hebrews which was even controversial at the time?

Doesn't it also mean books that weren't in the Bible maybe should have been?

Are there any books you completely reject?

How do you know which ones to trust or not?

The above basically highlights my view when I was Christian.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
TheAsylum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 3:06:43 PM
At 9/9/2012 2:45:46 PM, phantom wrote:
The Bible is a collection of books written by man about the the Judeo-Christian God and Christianity. The books which were to be included in the Bible were also decided by man via a counsel.

If this is the case, isn't it probable that some books of the Bible should probably never have been included, such as some old testament books and Hebrews which was even controversial at the time?

I only read the KJV, so, I do not feel any in the KJV are not suppose to be there.

Yes, I think there are books that should have been in.
Not in mine, KJV.

I read them and grasp a feeling if they are right and consistant throughout the Bible. I determine if they are right through the Holy Ghost and I feel the KJV is correct.

Understandable.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 3:09:19 PM
At 9/9/2012 3:06:43 PM, TheAsylum wrote:

I only read the KJV, so, I do not feel any in the KJV are not suppose to be there.

Which ones?
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
TheAsylum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 3:12:09 PM
At 9/9/2012 3:09:19 PM, phantom wrote:

Which ones?

I will only mention one I feel for sure, I own it.- Book of Enoch
I also own the -Book of Jasher but I do not think it should be in the Bible. It is a very accurate history book that goes along wth the Bible. Jasher means- UpRight.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 3:17:18 PM
Thanks for the response.
stubs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 4:32:14 PM

I like this quote, "Out of whose mouth did scripture come, then? God's or man's? The only biblical answer is "both." Indeed, God spoke through the human authors in such a way that his words were simultaneously their words, and their words were simultaneously his. This is the double authorship of the Bible. Scripture is equally the Word of God and the words of human beings. Better, it is the Word of God through the words of human beings." John Stott, The contemporary Christian

I don't see why this is the case.

I personally don't believe so.

Reject as inspired that are not in the bible? If that's what you mean then yes.

I think the council that chose was lead by the holy spirit and I think they did a good job.

If you don't mind me asking, what caused you to no longer hold to a Christian worldview?
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 5:03:38 PM
At 9/9/2012 4:32:14 PM, stubs wrote:

If you don't mind me asking, what caused you to no longer hold to a Christian worldview?

I'm extremely skeptical. I held on for a while, shaped my beliefs significantly but eventually lost all faith in Christianity. Various arguments by Hitchens, Dawkins and others made it seem unlikely and illogical. The problem of evil (though I actually don't consider it that strong anymore.) My increased leaning to determinism which if true, would alleviate so much that Christianity claims. I didn't feel close to God or like the holy spirit was in me. The claims I needed for my world view seemed increasingly lacking in evidence and I began realizing the flaws in some of the arguments I was making. I don't want to name all the reasons. There were many and I don't wish to recall and write them all down.
TheAsylum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 5:11:47 PM
I agree Stubs, I am fine with Th Bible at hand, atleast the KJV. I do not use many others at all. I wanted to ask you a question though, The Book of Enoch was found in the dead sea scrolls. This is means that it was highly likely taught in Jesus's day. If you have not read it I suggest you do. It is very inspired, I believe, but in either way has alot of knowledge that go hand and hand with the Bible. Are you aware that it was up for addition in our current Bible and was rejected and non-insored books were put in?
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 7:34:09 PM

These men were inspired by God. You sound like you're skeptical of the council, or the process. If so, that's understandable but look at the viability of the option. Suppose God wrote it himself, and left it somewhere or dropped it in for someone to find. How believable would that have been, and how believable would it be for us now??

I'm fine with the Bible as is. I don't know of any that should be removed. Jesus approved of the list of books so that works for me.

They were not included for several reasons. They were either not considered inspired, didn't claim to be the word of God, contained unbiblical concepts, or historical innacuracies.

No

Trust them all. You have to either accept that the Bible is the inspired word of God, or you don't. I refuse to believe that a benevolent God would send me to hell for believing what I thought was His word.

stubs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 7:54:50 PM
At 9/9/2012 5:03:38 PM, phantom wrote:

I'm extremely skeptical.

Me too.

I held on for a while, shaped my beliefs significantly but eventually lost all faith in Christianity. Various arguments by Hitchens, Dawkins and others made it seem unlikely and illogical.

Could you share which arguments you found convincing.

The problem of evil (though I actually don't consider it that strong anymore.) My increased leaning to determinism which if true, would alleviate so much that Christianity claims.

You cold ask paradox but I believe Calvanism holds to determinism.

I didn't feel close to God or like the holy spirit was in me.

I don't always feel very close to God either. Somedays I feel really close to him and others I know there's just something not right in me.

The claims I needed for my world view seemed increasingly lacking in evidence and I began realizing the flaws in some of the arguments I was making. I don't want to name all the reasons. There were many and I don't wish to recall and write them all down.
stubs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 8:05:13 PM
At 9/9/2012 5:11:47 PM, TheAsylum wrote:
I agree Stubs, I am fine with Th Bible at hand, atleast the KJV.

I don't like KJV. Outdated language not only makes it hard to read for contemporary readers, but it was also translated from inferior Greek texts.

I do not use many others at all. I wanted to ask you a question though, The Book of Enoch was found in the dead sea scrolls. This is means that it was highly likely taught in Jesus's day. If you have not read it I suggest you do. It is very inspired, I believe, but in either way has alot of knowledge that go hand and hand with the Bible. Are you aware that it was up for addition in our current Bible and was rejected and non-insored books were put in?

I have not read it nor do I know about it. I don't believe it to be inspired either way. I don't believe it belongs in the bible and I believe all the book in the bible do belong there.
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 8:15:33 PM
At 9/9/2012 8:05:13 PM, stubs wrote:

I don't like KJV. Outdated language not only makes it hard to read for contemporary readers, but it was also translated from inferior Greek texts.

I do not use many others at all. I wanted to ask you a question though, The Book of Enoch was found in the dead sea scrolls. This is means that it was highly likely taught in Jesus's day. If you have not read it I suggest you do. It is very inspired, I believe, but in either way has alot of knowledge that go hand and hand with the Bible. Are you aware that it was up for addition in our current Bible and was rejected and non-insored books were put in?

I have not read it nor do I know about it. I don't believe it to be inspired either way. I don't believe it belongs in the bible and I believe all the book in the bible do belong there.

How can you argue against something without knowing anything about it?
TheAsylum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 8:47:50 PM
I don't like KJV.:
I do.
Outdated language not only makes it hard to read for contemporary readers:
Not so, if you use the Spirit to help you by prayer before study. If you speak English.
but it was also translated from inferior Greek texts.:
How do you know which is superior and which it is not?
I have not read it nor do I know about it. I don't believe it to be inspired either way. I don't believe it belongs in the bible and I believe all the book in the bible do belong there.:
How can you determine if something is inspired whitout reading? I hope not by scholars? You must understand that being a scholar, preacher, teacher and knowledgable Biblical person, comes from God not colleges and such. Well it is known that some, alot in fact, Bibles have non-inspired books, they should not be in the Bible. KJV does not and why I stick to it. But if a book or books from Jesus's day was found with all the other books in our current Bible and it is highly possible that it was taught in Jesus's day by Jesus's himself or apprved of by Him, then I would say it should be considered inspired and added. The Roman Catholic Church kept it out. Are you saying that they had a authority to do such and add non-inspired books?
GenesisCreation
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 8:57:42 PM
At 9/9/2012 3:12:09 PM, TheAsylum wrote:

Which ones?

I also own the -Book of Jasher but I do not think it should be in the Bible. It is a very accurate history book that goes along wth the Bible. Jasher means- UpRight.

In this regard I would trust the work of independant scholars. I think overwhelming evidence exists that the Apochryphal writings are not old enough to qualify as ordained scriptures. Books like 1 and 2 Maccabees are guessed to have been written in 124 BC, which completely seperates them from the pentateuch. I haven't done a full study of the apochryphal writing yet, but until I have a good working knowledge of their content, I'm sticking to traditional KJV, NKJV or ESV.
Um....You've got a log in your eye.
"I would be suspicious of an argument without any concessions." - John Dickson
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 8:59:31 PM
At 9/9/2012 8:47:50 PM, TheAsylum wrote:
I don't like KJV.:
I do.
Outdated language not only makes it hard to read for contemporary readers:
Not so, if you use the Spirit to help you by prayer before study. If you speak English.

Oh, great. Now the Holy Spirit replaces a Greek-English lexicon or a dictionary. Why am I not surprised?

but it was also translated from inferior Greek texts.:
How do you know which is superior and which it is not?
I have not read it nor do I know about it. I don't believe it to be inspired either way. I don't believe it belongs in the bible and I believe all the book in the bible do belong there.:
How can you determine if something is inspired whitout reading? I hope not by scholars? You must understand that being a scholar, preacher, teacher and knowledgable Biblical person, comes from God not colleges and such. Well it is known that some, alot in fact, Bibles have non-inspired books, they should not be in the Bible. KJV does not and why I stick to it. But if a book or books from Jesus's day was found with all the other books in our current Bible and it is highly possible that it was taught in Jesus's day by Jesus's himself or apprved of by Him, then I would say it should be considered inspired and added. The Roman Catholic Church kept it out. Are you saying that they had a authority to do such and add non-inspired books?
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
TheAsylum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 9:05:48 PM
At 9/9/2012 8:57:42 PM, GenesisCreation wrote:
At 9/9/2012 3:12:09 PM, TheAsylum wrote:

Which ones?

In this regard I would trust the work of independant scholars. I think overwhelming evidence exists that the Apochryphal writings are not old enough to qualify as ordained scriptures. Books like 1 and 2 Maccabees are guessed to have been written in 124 BC, which completely seperates them from the pentateuch. I haven't done a full study of the apochryphal writing yet, but until I have a good working knowledge of their content, I'm sticking to traditional KJV, NKJV or ESV.

I understand and I am happy with my KJV.
TheAsylum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 9:07:14 PM
Oh, great. Now the Holy Spirit replaces a Greek-English lexicon or a dictionary. Why am I not surprised?

Those can help greatly but the Spirit out ranks any and all acholars.LOL
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 9:19:18 PM

I'm extremely skeptical. I held on for a while, shaped my beliefs significantly but eventually lost all faith in Christianity. Various arguments by Hitchens, Dawkins and others made it seem unlikely and illogical. The problem of evil (though I actually don't consider it that strong anymore.) My increased leaning to determinism which if true, would alleviate so much that Christianity claims. I didn't feel close to God or like the holy spirit was in me. The claims I needed for my world view seemed increasingly lacking in evidence and I began realizing the flaws in some of the arguments I was making. I don't want to name all the reasons. There were many and I don't wish to recall and write them all down.

You can't tell, but I'm laughing so hard I'm getting dizzy. Really?
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
TheAsylum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 9:22:29 PM
At 9/9/2012 9:19:18 PM, MouthWash wrote:

I have read tons of thier works and can get alot of it but in no way has it diminished my faith. It actually claims alot of what the Bible claims was happening back then.
stubs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 9:43:10 PM
At 9/9/2012 8:15:33 PM, THEBOMB wrote:

Because I believe those that made the canon were inspired by the holy spirit and therefore if the book was actually inspired God would have made sure it got in the bible. I have this crazy theology that God actually knows what he's doing.
TheAsylum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 9:53:45 PM
At 9/9/2012 9:43:10 PM, stubs wrote:

Because I believe those that made the canon were inspired by the holy spirit and therefore if the book was actually inspired God would have made sure it got in the bible. I have this crazy theology that God actually knows what he's doing.:

First, I agree with you. God surely inspires and knows what He is doing. I love my Bible. Second, what books do you consider canon? Or easier what Bible's do you considered as proper canon?
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 10:44:18 PM
At 9/9/2012 9:19:18 PM, MouthWash wrote:

They're very intelligent people. Dawkins may be a wus (for not debating Craig) and Hitchens a deuche bag but they both make very good arguments.
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 10:51:58 PM

Because I believe those that made the canon were inspired by the holy spirit and therefore if the book was actually inspired God would have made sure it got in the bible. I have this crazy theology that God actually knows what he's doing.

Ehh...the people who wrote the books of the bible may have been inspired by God. But, the biblical canon was arranged by men who argued for long periods of time over what should have gone into the bible. God may know what he is doing and what is happening, but he leaves much of what occurs on earth to man.
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 10:53:16 PM

Basically, you just completely lost faith. Ultimately that is what Christianity is based upon, a calling of sorts.
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 2:54:54 AM

First...Council...Counsel may also be correct, but I doubt you meant the Spirit.

As to the rest...IF...makes it hypothetical, and since your first statement is incomplete, based in ignorance, lacking foundation, and states historical falsehoods your questions are designed to be unanswerable.
GenesisCreation
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 4:31:52 AM

Lol....love it.
Um....You've got a log in your eye.
"I would be suspicious of an argument without any concessions." - John Dickson
stubs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 9:42:27 AM
At 9/9/2012 10:51:58 PM, THEBOMB wrote:
Ehh...the people who wrote the books of the bible may have been inspired by God. But, the biblical canon was arranged by men who argued for long periods of time over what should have gone into the bible. God may know what he is doing and what is happening, but he leaves much of what occurs on earth to man.

Yeah I messed up the wording there. I meant to say they were led by the holy spirit. The writers were inspired. I believe there is a difference. My apologies for making that mistake.
stubs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 9:44:44 AM
At 9/10/2012 9:42:27 AM, stubs wrote:

Yeah I messed up the wording there. I meant to say they were led by the holy spirit. The writers were inspired. I believe there is a difference. My apologies for making that mistake.

Sorry now that I look back I realize I made a mistake in saying I made a mistake haha. I was pointing out that the books themselves were inspired. Not those choosing at the biblical cannon. If the books were indeed inspired, I believe God would have found a way to get them into the bible. He gets to do a lot of the things he wants. It's one of the cool things about being all powerful.
TheAsylum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 10:25:15 AM
At 9/10/2012 9:44:44 AM, stubs wrote:
At 9/10/2012 9:42:27 AM, stubs wrote:

Sorry now that I look back I realize I made a mistake in saying I made a mistake haha. I was pointing out that the books themselves were inspired. Not those choosing at the biblical cannon. If the books were indeed inspired, I believe God would have found a way to get them into the bible. He gets to do a lot of the things he wants. It's one of the cool things about being all powerful.

+1