Total Posts:15|Showing Posts:1-15
Jump to topic:

Does God Exist?

phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 8:27:04 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I've seen about an hour of it. Hitchens does a poor job addressing Craig. And also who created God? Please, that's such a lame argument.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
alex1094
Posts: 15
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 8:46:23 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Hitchens murdered Craig. Craig continually asks Hitchens how he can "prove his atheism" as though it's something which has to be affirmed.
Dogknox
Posts: 5,078
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 2:26:57 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/11/2012 8:46:23 AM, alex1094 wrote:
Hitchens murdered Craig. Craig continually asks Hitchens how he can "prove his atheism" as though it's something which has to be affirmed.

alex1094 I disagree with you!!
The Atheist BELIEVES there is no God!
The Atheist has FAITH there is no God!!

He can't prove there is NO God; He relies on his own FAITH & Belief!
It has to be affirmed or proven or he lowered himself to less then the Christian!

alex1094 Christians have God' words, they have the many miracles that happen over the centuries! Christians have Billions of people that back them up, BILLIONS of people believe in a God!!

Christians have HISTORY of Man...
From the very beginning, man has believed in a God or gods, a higher being of some sort!
Example: The North American Indian believed in; "A great White Spirit"!

The Atheist is in the minority considering the history of man; There must be less then 1% of all the men in history that rejects a god of some sort!
I am not saying voting; "if there is a God" counts, I am saying Man has this inward deep feeling that there is some kind of "Higher being"!
This inward feeling of a god might even be placed inside of man by our creator! You must deny man has this (feeling) as a lie!!

alex1094 You lower yourself to an "Animal" Pigs, Dogs, Cows, Snails, have no God!

You feel it is not important to know why you BELIEVE there is no God!!!
THINK: You have a lot to lose if you are wrong!!!!

Dogknox
stubs
Posts: 1,887
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 2:51:52 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/11/2012 8:46:23 AM, alex1094 wrote:
Hitchens murdered Craig. Craig continually asks Hitchens how he can "prove his atheism" as though it's something which has to be affirmed.

Hahah
Enji
Posts: 1,022
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 2:59:40 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/11/2012 2:26:57 PM, Dogknox wrote:

The Atheist BELIEVES there is no God!
The Atheist has FAITH there is no God!!

He can't prove there is NO God; He relies on his own FAITH & Belief!
It has to be affirmed or proven or he lowered himself to less then the Christian!

On the contrary, the atheist does not believe that there is a god - the atheist does not claim that a god does not exist. From the atheist perspective, there is no evidence or reason to believe that a god exists, however this does not disprove god (to assert that it does would be arguing from ignorance).

Appealing to a majority is not a valid argument.
stubs
Posts: 1,887
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 3:08:22 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/11/2012 2:59:40 PM, Enji wrote:
On the contrary, the atheist does not believe that there is a god - the atheist does not claim that a god does not exist. From the atheist perspective, there is no evidence or reason to believe that a god exists, however this does not disprove god (to assert that it does would be arguing from ignorance).

Appealing to a majority is not a valid argument.

Yes they do. That's what an atheist is. To be an atheist you have to believe the sentence, "God exists." expresses a false proposition. If you believe "God exists" is false then you claim God does not exist and are an atheist.
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 3:16:39 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/11/2012 8:46:23 AM, alex1094 wrote:
Hitchens murdered Craig. Craig continually asks Hitchens how he can "prove his atheism" as though it's something which has to be affirmed.

lol are you delusional?
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Dogknox
Posts: 5,078
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 3:24:55 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/11/2012 2:59:40 PM, Enji wrote:
At 9/11/2012 2:26:57 PM, Dogknox wrote:

The Atheist BELIEVES there is no God!
The Atheist has FAITH there is no God!!

He can't prove there is NO God; He relies on his own FAITH & Belief!
It has to be affirmed or proven or he lowered himself to less then the Christian!

On the contrary, the atheist does not believe that there is a god - the atheist does not claim that a god does not exist. From the atheist perspective, there is no evidence or reason to believe that a god exists, however this does not disprove god (to assert that it does would be arguing from ignorance).

Appealing to a majority is not a valid argument.

Enji You said.. (above) the atheist does not claim that a god does not exist.
I reply "WRONG" he stands on the highest chair and claims in a loud voice; "There is NO GOD!"
.......................................................
DICTIONARY DOT COM
a"the"ist   [ey-thee-ist] Show IPA
noun
a person who denies or disbelieves the existence of a supreme being or beings.
..........................................................

You said.. Appealing to a majority is not a valid argument.

I reply: It proves MAN has always BELIEVED in a God!!
Believed long before there was Christianity or the bible! It proves the evidence for the existence does not have to be tied to the scriptures!

Again "The North American Indian believed in a God!"

Cave man believed in a God!!
It is human nature to BELIEVE in a God!
Animals have NO God!
The atheist has NO God!

LOGIC alone says: To be atheist is to lower one self to the level of the PIG! To debase oneself as a human, to that of an Animal!!

The atheist can ONLY BELIEVE there is NO God he can't prove it!!!!
FACT: The atheist cannot PROVE there is NO God!
You say, he does NOT HAVE TO PROVE IT!!

I say he can't prove it so he is WRONG to believe it!

Children believe in Santa Clause, tooth fairy are you saying the Atheist knows there is no god "just because" he says so!?

Dogknox
Enji
Posts: 1,022
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 3:27:17 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/11/2012 3:08:22 PM, stubs wrote:
At 9/11/2012 2:59:40 PM, Enji wrote:
On the contrary, the atheist does not believe that there is a god - the atheist does not claim that a god does not exist. From the atheist perspective, there is no evidence or reason to believe that a god exists, however this does not disprove god (to assert that it does would be arguing from ignorance).

Yes they do. That's what an atheist is. To be an atheist you have to believe the sentence, "God exists." expresses a false proposition. If you believe "God exists" is false then you claim God does not exist and are an atheist.

No, an atheists does not believe that the statement "A god exists."* is true, but they don't assert that it's false. It's much like if I were to tell you that there's a giant, invisible, intangible unicorn that is undetectable by human means (with the exception of my magical unicorn test, that only I can use) behind you - you can't prove that such a unicorn isn't behind you, however there is no reason to believe that it actually is there. Atheism is not the position that a god or gods don't exist, it is the position that there is no reason to believe in such god(s). Thus, atheists do not have to prove that gods or supernatural entities don't exist, since they don't assert that. Arguing against a specific religion's god (for example Christianity) does not constitute denying the existence of a god (to assert that it does would be the fallacy of equivocation). The Christian god makes supernatural claims about the natural world through the bible that can be shown to have more reasonable natural causes (and, to a less objective extent, claims about morality that are morally dubious) and so it is possible to argue against the Christian, architect, omnipotent, etc.. god without denying the possibility of the existence of a god.

*Changed to remove ambiguity regarding a god and a specific religion's god
Rational_Thinker9119
Posts: 9,054
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 3:37:52 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
William Lane Craig did very well in this debate. Hitchens, however, fell flat and lost pretty clearly. I haven't seen the debate in a while, but I recall Hitchens failing to respond sufficiently to the arguments for God.
Rational_Thinker9119
Posts: 9,054
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 3:41:33 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/11/2012 3:08:22 PM, stubs wrote:
At 9/11/2012 2:59:40 PM, Enji wrote:
On the contrary, the atheist does not believe that there is a god - the atheist does not claim that a god does not exist. From the atheist perspective, there is no evidence or reason to believe that a god exists, however this does not disprove god (to assert that it does would be arguing from ignorance).

Appealing to a majority is not a valid argument.

Yes they do. That's what an atheist is. To be an atheist you have to believe the sentence, "God exists." expresses a false proposition. If you believe "God exists" is false then you claim God does not exist and are an atheist.

Not necessarily. You forget that there are many subsets of Atheism which are not Strong Atheism.
Enji
Posts: 1,022
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 3:44:23 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/11/2012 3:41:33 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 9/11/2012 3:08:22 PM, stubs wrote:
At 9/11/2012 2:59:40 PM, Enji wrote:
On the contrary, the atheist does not believe that there is a god - the atheist does not claim that a god does not exist. From the atheist perspective, there is no evidence or reason to believe that a god exists, however this does not disprove god (to assert that it does would be arguing from ignorance).

Appealing to a majority is not a valid argument.

Yes they do. That's what an atheist is. To be an atheist you have to believe the sentence, "God exists." expresses a false proposition. If you believe "God exists" is false then you claim God does not exist and are an atheist.

Not necessarily. You forget that there are many subsets of Atheism which are not Strong Atheism.

Isn't that what I said (with a double negative which may have confused you)?
stubs
Posts: 1,887
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 5:19:00 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/11/2012 3:41:33 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 9/11/2012 3:08:22 PM, stubs wrote:
At 9/11/2012 2:59:40 PM, Enji wrote:
On the contrary, the atheist does not believe that there is a god - the atheist does not claim that a god does not exist. From the atheist perspective, there is no evidence or reason to believe that a god exists, however this does not disprove god (to assert that it does would be arguing from ignorance).

Appealing to a majority is not a valid argument.

Yes they do. That's what an atheist is. To be an atheist you have to believe the sentence, "God exists." expresses a false proposition. If you believe "God exists" is false then you claim God does not exist and are an atheist.

Not necessarily. You forget that there are many subsets of Atheism which are not Strong Atheism.

Good point. I havnt really looked at the different types and terms for atheism. I just like to make it simple and say you either believe God exists, believe God doesnt exist, or youre not sure. It seems to me like that should cover everybody haha. But wouldn't the general statement "God does not exist" be found true by all atheist or can we not say that?