Jump to topic:

Most convincing argument...

alex1094
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 8:49:02 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Atheists, what's the most convincing argument for the existence of God?
Theists, what's the most convincing argument for atheism?

For me personally as an atheist, I'd say it's the fine tuning of the universe argument.
Microsuck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 8:50:07 AM
At 9/11/2012 8:49:02 AM, alex1094 wrote:

There is none. I have not seen any "arguments" that can't be easily refuted.

I always found the incoherence of Christianity/Theism to be good.

For me personally as an atheist, I'd say it's the fine tuning of the universe argument.

LOL!, the fine tuning argument is so fallacious. In fact, using its own logic, we can PROVE atheism!
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD
Newsflash: Atheists do not believe in the Devil! - Me
Newsflash: I doesnt matter if you think you do or not.....You do - SD

"you [imabench] are very naive and so i do not consider your opinions as having any merit. you must still be in highschool" - falconduler
alex1094
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 8:54:09 AM
Alright calm down. I know they can be easily refuted, it's just the one I had to think about longest before I came to my conclusions about it.
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 9:39:03 AM
I don't find any particular argument of theism convincing, but I do waver in my (non)belief because of the psychologal benefits.
yang.
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 9:47:41 AM
At 9/11/2012 9:39:03 AM, tulle wrote:
I don't find any particular argument of theism convincing, but I do waver in my (non)belief because of the psychologal benefits.

you paint love in selfishness and remove all romance from the world :P but perhaps your "delusion" is in fact delusion, eh? ;)
signature
alex1094
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 9:48:04 AM

Interesting, I think it definitely can have some but it certainly depends. Wouldn't like to be stuck living with all that Catholic guilt...
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 9:54:57 AM
without love what have you of man? but the creative instinct, selfish and devastating... my theory's certainly elegant enough as to be correct methinks.
signature
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 9:57:41 AM
and it legitimately felt as though God himself enlightened me to it, but granted it was after taking a considerable amount of mdma and he hasn't talked to me since.... but that could be but the doubt to be overcome! guys, we should be communists...
signature
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 9:59:30 AM
i also personally believe it the only conceivable solution to the Problem of Evil and newly found by me...possibly through my buddy, God.
signature
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 10:06:03 AM
At 9/11/2012 9:48:04 AM, alex1094 wrote:

Interesting, I think it definitely can have some but it certainly depends. Wouldn't like to be stuck living with all that Catholic guilt...

You can believe in God without being religious or subscribing to any religion. But I think belief in something "higher" gives people hope. Whether it's right or wrong is irrelevant to me. I work in suicide prevention and I capitalize on people's beliefs in God, despite not believing in it myself. Self-delusion has been an integral part of my psychological well-being, as it is for anybody. It works for me. That's the most convincing argument for me.
yang.
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 10:12:30 AM
At 9/11/2012 10:06:03 AM, tulle wrote:

You can believe in God without being religious or subscribing to any religion. But I think belief in something "higher" gives people hope. Whether it's right or wrong is irrelevant to me. I work in suicide prevention and I capitalize on people's beliefs in God, despite not believing in it myself. Self-delusion has been an integral part of my psychological well-being, as it is for anybody. It works for me. That's the most convincing argument for me.

you're too pretty to be a monster :P
signature
alex1094
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 10:32:07 AM
At 9/11/2012 10:06:03 AM, tulle wrote:

I will never understand how you can knowingly delude yourself.. How do you make yourself believe something?
This may sound a little insensitive.. but surely a belief in God and an afterlife draws you to the idea of suicide?
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 10:32:50 AM
At 9/11/2012 10:26:07 AM, tulle wrote:
Lol badger... I work in suicide prevention but my atheism makes me a monster?

He's an alcoholic; take everything he says with a block of salt.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 10:36:08 AM

do you not believe it ultimately for your own benefit and thus selfish no matter how you dress it up? because if not, you subscribe to something magical.
signature
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 10:38:16 AM
At 9/11/2012 10:32:50 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

He's an alcoholic; take everything he says with a block of salt.

how many greats throughout history were partial to intoxication? how do you measure up? ad homs alone don't cut it dude...
signature
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 10:41:42 AM
At Alex --- please forgive the typos, I've moved to using my phone.

Those are good questions and in terms of "fast tracking" to the afterlife, that's a question a theist would have to answer. I've asked that myself on this site before.

In terms of delusion, you'd be surprised how impressionable our brains are. Its really not that hard to convince yourself of something. See "cognitive dissonance". There is a lot of power in language. I sound like a crazy person, i know. Hopefully someone else can understand what im trying to say and make sense of it for me :p I've got to go for now.
yang.
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 10:42:27 AM
thomas harris dubbed his hero hannibal lecter the renowned psychologist the monster. and then showed us how similar we really are to him.
signature
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 10:50:22 AM
i dunno. i just think that of but a mechanical universe comes but a monstrous being, uncaring but in want or in delusion of want as tulle speaks of. make beauty of the delusion all you want i guess.
signature
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 10:55:15 AM
At 9/11/2012 10:50:22 AM, badger wrote:
i dunno. i just think that of but a mechanical universe comes but a monstrous being, uncaring but in want or in delusion of want as tulle speaks of. make beauty of the delusion all you want i guess.

that would be in essence though to dream of God...
signature
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 11:12:26 AM
sorry to be real, but like jeez it was obvious. without God you're but a robot built by chance to survive...
signature
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 11:28:52 AM
At 9/11/2012 8:50:07 AM, Microsuck wrote:

There is none. I have not seen any "arguments" that can't be easily refuted.

I always found the incoherence of Christianity/Theism to be good.

LOL!, the fine tuning argument is so fallacious. In fact, using its own logic, we can PROVE atheism!

What's to prove, atheism is merely a lack of belief and nothing more, right?? And you can't prove a negative according to most atheists, so how can you prove atheism??

Ha, lmao...where was this quote when I needed it for my debate??
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 3:25:15 PM

There are only arguments against certain types of Gods, so no argument can really disprove theism. The problem of evil for example does not disprove the deistic God only certain Gods, and the paradox of the stone only applies to certain views of omnipotence. The strongest thing atheists can do is refute the arguments for God. My certain degree of uncertainty about the arguments for God is what pushes me nearest to atheism so I would say that.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Enji
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 3:39:02 PM

KRFournier's presentation of the KCA has been the most convincing argument for the possible existence of a god that I've seen.

http://www.debate.org...
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 3:54:38 PM
At 9/11/2012 3:39:02 PM, Enji wrote:

KRFournier's presentation of the KCA has been the most convincing argument for the possible existence of a god that I've seen.

http://www.debate.org...

How so? The debate was about the implications of the Kalam. All he attempted to prove was that if the KCA was correct, the cause was probably God. The premises that the universe began to exist and everything that begins to exist has a cause were not debated.

Though as far as what was debated went, yes he did a good job.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)