thoughts?

MilitaryAtheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 11:27:49 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
The Scenario:
You are sitting at your kitchen table, having a quiet cup of coffee when, in the chair directly in front of you, Jesus appears (For the sake of this scenario, assume that you are provided with whatever proof you would require to be satisfied that this entity before you is, without question, Jesus Christ. Establish that this is not Satan or a demon or anybody else trying to trick you, but the one and only Lord.)
Jesus says to you:
"I am Jesus Christ, your Lord. I have come to you to command you to fulfill the destiny for which you were brought into this world " to perform a mission as the Hand of God.
"You know that I am (along with my Father) the creator of all things. You know from the teachings of the Bible that I am all merciful and find joy in the glory of my creation, Man, but you must also know, as an educated person, that I also created anguish and suffering.
"Suffering is as important as joy in my creation. It is necessary in my plan for mankind, as there cannot be one without the other. There are no hills without valleys, no mountains without canyons.
"To this end, I created cancer. It is one of my proudest creations, right along with the brain and daylight. It is as necessary for your world as love and understanding, hate and despair, and hot and cold. Cancer allows me to strike down the mighty or the weak, the bold and the meek, at anytime I see fit.
"The reason I am here today is that my creation is being threatened, and you have been chosen to alleviate this threat as a service to your Creator.
"There are three children, aged 3, 5 and 6. These children will grow to adulthood and attend the same University, be on the same research team, and will stumble upon the key to, and the cure for, most of the cancers that plague humanity. 85% of the cancers will be almost immediately curable, then, within 20 years from their discovery, cancer will be completely wiped out. Cancer will no longer be known to mankind, other than as a curiosity tucked within the history books. This cannot happen yet."
Jesus then places both hands on the table, palms up. Suddenly there appears a dagger in his hands.
"This is the blessed dagger which you will use to complete your mission. It will protect you from discovery or capture until this mission is completed. It does not matter where you are when you perform the tasks, you will be completely impervious until the final task of the mission is completed.
"You are to go to these three children and cut their throats. You are to remain with them and watch them bleed out until you are absolutely sure that they are dead. This must be performed within 21 days of today, and must be performed in the manner I have described to you, for reasons that are my own and must not be questioned.
"After the final child has been sacrificed, you will be captured, prosecuted, and after 12 years in prison, you will be put to death via lethal injection. Nobody will ever believe that you spoke to God, and you will go to your grave known as a child killer.
"When you enter the Kingdom of Heaven, however, you will have a special place at my right hand for all eternity, among the others who have been martyred for my Word. You are not the first, and you will not be the last, who has sacrificed himself for my Word.
"If you refuse this mission, you will not be looked upon favorably on the Day of Judgment.
"There will be no further explanations; there will be no more questions. What is your answer?"
Question: Would you perform the mission as commanded by God? Please, yes or no, followed by your explanation.
Thanks in advance for your participation.
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 11:37:14 AM
At 9/11/2012 11:34:48 AM, MilitaryAtheist wrote:
You have issues

hey i read yours. in that spiel there i posted for you, you'll find a solution to the problem of evil :P
signature
MilitaryAtheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 11:38:49 AM
At 9/11/2012 11:37:14 AM, badger wrote:
You have issues

hey i read yours. in that spiel there i posted for you, you'll find a solution to the problem of evil :P

Shorten it plox
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 11:44:33 AM
Given that its 100% proven he is Jesus and the promised rewards in the afterlife are sincere, honestly Id do it.... I can sort of understand the reasoning behind what he is requesting, and I would do as he says, but there would be no way in hell I could make peace with my actions....
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
MilitaryAtheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 11:44:36 AM
At 9/11/2012 11:36:06 AM, badger wrote:
or at least i think i might've... drugs really do take the bang out of apparitions :(: At 9/11/2012 11:36:06 AM, badger wrote:
or at least i think i might've... drugs really do take the bang out of apparitions :(: At 9/11/2012 11:36:06 AM, badger wrote:
or at least i think i might've... drugs really do take the bang out of apparitions :(
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 11:45:15 AM
At 9/11/2012 11:38:49 AM, MilitaryAtheist wrote:
You have issues

Shorten it plox

God was initially a thing of loneliness, but all the same loving of existence. Split himself into all other living things so as to possibly banish that loneliness. Wasn't sure He wasn't just being selfish, though, and this doubt remains as the sin between Brothers and Sisters. We must fix it and pull ourselves together in Love as the new God. Communism is the answer, appeasement of the universe, God. :)
signature
MilitaryAtheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 11:46:58 AM
At 9/11/2012 11:45:15 AM, badger wrote:
You have issues

Shorten it plox

God was initially a thing of loneliness, but all the same loving of existence. Split himself into all other living things so as to possibly banish that loneliness. Wasn't sure He wasn't just being selfish, though, and this doubt remains as the sin between Brothers and Sisters. We must fix it and pull ourselves together in Love as the new God. Communism is the answer, appeasement of the universe, God. :)

Poe.
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 11:49:36 AM
At 9/11/2012 11:46:58 AM, MilitaryAtheist wrote:
You have issues

Shorten it plox

Poe.

you know i just won
signature
MilitaryAtheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 11:51:22 AM
At 9/11/2012 11:49:36 AM, badger wrote:
You have issues

Shorten it plox

Poe.

you know i just won

No. You have no proof.
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 12:00:13 PM
At 9/11/2012 11:51:22 AM, MilitaryAtheist wrote:
At 9/11/2012 11:49:36 AM, badger wrote:
You have issues

Shorten it plox

Poe.

you know i just won

No. You have no proof.

if you believed i came to this idea as i said i did would you find it more enticing? and there's a possible proof in experimentation as with every theory...
signature
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 12:21:33 PM
No, I can't do that Jesus. The morality that I've gained from You and the Father, forbid me from doing that. You're asking me to intentionally violate the 10 commandments, and the Golden Rule. I cannot kill 3 children in such a horrific manner, and a loving God would not ask this of me. He would simply replace cancer with something else, if it were truly necessary.

You had already promised me salvation just for accepting you and trying to follow your word. And now if I don't murder these kids, you imply that you will go back on that. A loving and honest God would not do that, an omniscient God would have already known that I wouldn't do it. Therefore, I'll sacrifice my own eternal existence, for the lives of those 3 children, and the eternal peace of mind of knowing that I did the only thing, given the choices, that can truly be considered "loving".

Man, I'm glad I had to say that to your Jesus and don't have to worry about that with mine. Yours doesn't seem to be very good at this Jesus thing, is he like, a rookie or something??
baggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 12:53:03 PM
At 9/11/2012 11:27:49 AM, MilitaryAtheist wrote:
The Scenario:
You are sitting at your kitchen table, having a quiet cup of coffee when, in the chair directly in front of you, Jesus appears (For the sake of this scenario, assume that you are provided with whatever proof you would require to be satisfied that this entity before you is, without question, Jesus Christ. Establish that this is not Satan or a demon or anybody else trying to trick you, but the one and only Lord.)
Jesus says to you:
"I am Jesus Christ, your Lord. I have come to you to command you to fulfill the destiny for which you were brought into this world " to perform a mission as the Hand of God.
"You know that I am (along with my Father) the creator of all things. You know from the teachings of the Bible that I am all merciful and find joy in the glory of my creation, Man, but you must also know, as an educated person, that I also created anguish and suffering.
"Suffering is as important as joy in my creation. It is necessary in my plan for mankind, as there cannot be one without the other. There are no hills without valleys, no mountains without canyons.
"To this end, I created cancer. It is one of my proudest creations, right along with the brain and daylight. It is as necessary for your world as love and understanding, hate and despair, and hot and cold. Cancer allows me to strike down the mighty or the weak, the bold and the meek, at anytime I see fit.
"The reason I am here today is that my creation is being threatened, and you have been chosen to alleviate this threat as a service to your Creator.
"There are three children, aged 3, 5 and 6. These children will grow to adulthood and attend the same University, be on the same research team, and will stumble upon the key to, and the cure for, most of the cancers that plague humanity. 85% of the cancers will be almost immediately curable, then, within 20 years from their discovery, cancer will be completely wiped out. Cancer will no longer be known to mankind, other than as a curiosity tucked within the history books. This cannot happen yet."
Jesus then places both hands on the table, palms up. Suddenly there appears a dagger in his hands.
"This is the blessed dagger which you will use to complete your mission. It will protect you from discovery or capture until this mission is completed. It does not matter where you are when you perform the tasks, you will be completely impervious until the final task of the mission is completed.
"You are to go to these three children and cut their throats. You are to remain with them and watch them bleed out until you are absolutely sure that they are dead. This must be performed within 21 days of today, and must be performed in the manner I have described to you, for reasons that are my own and must not be questioned.
"After the final child has been sacrificed, you will be captured, prosecuted, and after 12 years in prison, you will be put to death via lethal injection. Nobody will ever believe that you spoke to God, and you will go to your grave known as a child killer.
"When you enter the Kingdom of Heaven, however, you will have a special place at my right hand for all eternity, among the others who have been martyred for my Word. You are not the first, and you will not be the last, who has sacrificed himself for my Word.
"If you refuse this mission, you will not be looked upon favorably on the Day of Judgment.
"There will be no further explanations; there will be no more questions. What is your answer?"
Question: Would you perform the mission as commanded by God? Please, yes or no, followed by your explanation.

You are creating a hypothetical contradiction between concepts enshrined in all faith, i.e.:
1. We must obey instructions of God and God's beloved prophets in all cases.
2. The instructions of God and the messengers are as per human fitrah (i.e. instructions appear to be good as per human nature).

I guess the correct answer is - this is a hypothetical scenario. It is unlikely God will put such a heavy burden on us. We should pray to God to avoid giving us such heavy test.
The Holy Quran 29:19-20

See they not how Allah originates creation, then repeats it: truly that is easy for Allah.

Say: "Travel through the earth and see how Allah did originate creation; so will Allah produce a later creation: for Allah has power over all things.
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 2:26:30 PM
At 9/11/2012 12:53:03 PM, baggins wrote:
The Scenario:
Jesus says to you:

You are creating a hypothetical contradiction between concepts enshrined in all faith, i.e.:
2. The instructions of God and the messengers are as per human fitrah (i.e. instructions appear to be good as per human nature).

I guess the correct answer is - this is a hypothetical scenario. It is unlikely God will put such a heavy burden on us. We should pray to God to avoid giving us such heavy test.

I agree. I answered the OP in the way that I did so that I could show where WSA's Jesus went wrong.
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 2:38:39 PM
At 9/11/2012 2:26:30 PM, medic0506 wrote:
The Scenario:
Jesus says to you:

I agree. I answered the OP in the way that I did so that I could show where WSA's Jesus went wrong.

What? Surely you mean MilitaryAtheist?
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 2:57:54 PM
At 9/11/2012 2:38:39 PM, MouthWash wrote:
At 9/11/2012 2:26:30 PM, medic0506 wrote:
The Scenario:
Jesus says to you:

What? Surely you mean MilitaryAtheist?

My bad, I get those 2 confused.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 3:38:38 PM
If I was Christian.

If you do do it.

-Overall, a net-benefit for mankind. In the scenario Jesus said he wanted happiness, joy and the good of mankind. You said 100% certainty that we knew it was Jesus. Therefore also 100% certainty it would be good for mankind.

-A place in heaven at the right hand of God.

-Have to kill three children, be executed die with the label of a child killer.

If you don't do it

-Don't have to murder three children.

-Still have a life on earth.

-A net-negative result for mankind.

-Go to hell.

___

Yes I would do it. Given the factors, the benefit far outweighs the loss and you said 100% certainty.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 9:11:39 PM
At 9/11/2012 3:38:38 PM, phantom wrote:
If I was Christian.

If you do do it.

-Overall, a net-benefit for mankind. In the scenario Jesus said he wanted happiness, joy and the good of mankind. You said 100% certainty that we knew it was Jesus. Therefore also 100% certainty it would be good for mankind.

If you don't do it

-Go to hell.

___

Yes I would do it. Given the factors, the benefit far outweighs the loss and you said 100% certainty.

I tried to make myself say yes, but I couldn't justify it. I felt selfish, and everything felt wrong. I knew it wasn't the right thing to do. There are no benefits here except my own personal gain.

Even as a Christian, I couldn't get past the fact that a loving God would never ask that of me, when He is all powerful and could easily replace cancer with something else if it were truly needed.

It was actually a pretty interesting test. I enjoyed having to rationalize both sides of it, but frankly I found it a bit disturbing that I was able to side with my own set of morals, even though I had 100% guarantee that it was really Jesus. That's how I knew that the problem was with the test itself.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 9:24:33 PM
If you could guarantee that the offer was true, I don't see how you could rationally not accept.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 9:32:21 PM
At 9/11/2012 9:11:39 PM, medic0506 wrote:
At 9/11/2012 3:38:38 PM, phantom wrote:
If I was Christian.

If you do do it.

If you don't do it

-Go to hell.

___

I tried to make myself say yes, but I couldn't justify it. I felt selfish, and everything felt wrong. I knew it wasn't the right thing to do. There are no benefits here except my own personal gain.

Eh, the good of mankind isn't exactly for your own personal gain.

Even as a Christian, I couldn't get past the fact that a loving God would never ask that of me, when He is all powerful and could easily replace cancer with something else if it were truly needed.

"God works in mysterious way". That's what you believe right?

It was actually a pretty interesting test. I enjoyed having to rationalize both sides of it, but frankly I found it a bit disturbing that I was able to side with my own set of morals, even though I had 100% guarantee that it was really Jesus. That's how I knew that the problem was with the test itself.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Dogknox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2012 8:34:19 PM
MilitaryAtheist
Jesus suffered and died on a cross... Don't think God is uncaring!

Jesus died so you would not have to die!
All people only die one time, you can't die twice..
MilitaryAtheist You can't even kill a stinking dog twice!!! One time ONLY one time!!

FACT: Jesus die.. He was raised up for all to see him DIE! He was dead for 3 days... BUT
MilitaryAtheist but because Jesus was without sin, Jesus popped up, out of the grave, as a cork released at the bottom of a pool of water! He rose to life because sin bring death eternal; Jesus was sinless!

MilitaryAtheist All people who are "ADDED to the Body of Jesus" can't die!!!
Jesus has been there and done that, his body can't die again!!

Jesus died because he is LOVE.. PURE LOVE, He loves his father. "Dad if you want me to die for these people then I will do what you ask!"

36 Then Jesus went with his disciples to a place called Gethsemane, and he said to them, "Sit here while I go over there and pray."
37 He took Peter and the two sons of Zebedee along with him, and he began to be sorrowful and troubled.
38 Then he said to them, "My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death. Stay here and keep watch with me."
39 Going a little farther, he fell with his face to the ground and prayed, "My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will."

Dogknox