Jump to topic:

Which Door?

Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2009 5:42:36 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
What is frustrating me with the constant cries of 'if you don't believe in Jesus you will go to hell' is the sheer lack of logic, justice or sense and my inability to express that to the preachers.

Let's try an analogy,

You are presented with three doors,

One is green, one is blue, one is red.

Behind each door stands a man.

One man has a shotgun and will kill you.

One man has a flamethrower and will kill you.

One man has a fat suitcase bulging with money which he will give to you.

What door do you choose?
You have no possible way of determing which man is behind which door.

By the same token which religion are we meant to choose?

There are 16+ branches of Islam, each one preaches that the others go to hell. There are countless branches of Christianity, there is Zorastrianism, Judaism, that wierd pagan devil worshipping bunch in Kurdistan, Hinduism, Bhuddism, Shinto, Voodoo, Wicca, Raelism, Scientology, Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, Hellenistic Paganism, Norse Paganism, Saxon Paganism, Animism, the Cult of Cthulhu, the Church of Dagon, the Illuminated Mysteries of Pnut'kar.

When we ask for evidence we are rebuffed, actively denied. Told that evidence would not change our minds because we hate God. Told that evidence denies faith and that we should simply prayer and hope that God deigns to give us faith... if he does not we are screwed so it's not a choice at all.

What are we meant to pray to and why?
What makes you think you are on the winning team?

Do you think any of this actually makes sense?
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2009 6:31:03 AM
At 9/17/2009 5:42:36 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
What is frustrating me with the constant cries of 'if you don't believe in Jesus you will go to hell' is the sheer lack of logic, justice or sense and my inability to express that to the preachers.

Let's try an analogy,

You are presented with three doors,

One is green, one is blue, one is red.

Behind each door stands a man.

One man has a shotgun and will kill you.

One man has a flamethrower and will kill you.

One man has a fat suitcase bulging with money which he will give to you.

What door do you choose?
You have no possible way of determing which man is behind which door.

By the same token which religion are we meant to choose?

There are 16+ branches of Islam, each one preaches that the others go to hell. There are countless branches of Christianity, there is Zorastrianism, Judaism, that wierd pagan devil worshipping bunch in Kurdistan, Hinduism, Bhuddism, Shinto, Voodoo, Wicca, Raelism, Scientology, Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, Hellenistic Paganism, Norse Paganism, Saxon Paganism, Animism, the Cult of Cthulhu, the Church of Dagon, the Illuminated Mysteries of Pnut'kar.

When we ask for evidence we are rebuffed, actively denied. Told that evidence would not change our minds because we hate God. Told that evidence denies faith and that we should simply prayer and hope that God deigns to give us faith... if he does not we are screwed so it's not a choice at all.

What are we meant to pray to and why?
What makes you think you are on the winning team?

Do you think any of this actually makes sense?

You KNOW which religion to attack..
You KNOW which group of people to mock..
You KNOW which icon to choose for maximum leverage..
You know.
The Cross.. the Cross.
JustCallMeTarzan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2009 12:40:58 PM
It makes perfect sense. That's why most religions make up some cockamimie story about how you can somehow know what's behind the doors or get the information to make a choice... that way they can blame you for choosing the wrong one.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2009 12:43:22 PM
I would say look in the keyhole, but they do everything they can to get us to not look in the keyhole.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2009 10:03:14 PM
At 9/17/2009 1:10:25 PM, tkubok wrote:
Actually, Deep down, every christian KNOWS that God doesnt exist. Theyre all just pretending not to.

And you shall KNOW the Truth and the Truth shall set you FREE..
It IS for FREEDOM that Christ has set us free..
WHOEVER the Son sets free is FREE INDEED!
The Cross.. the Cross.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2009 10:13:14 PM
Actually, Deep down, every christian KNOWS that God doesnt exist. Theyre all just pretending not to.

That is the second time a post on DDO has reminded me of a Christopher Hitchens idea.

Do pastors, imams, rabbis, Popes and the rest of these individuals all believe in God, or are they privy to the truth, and thus only in it for the power and the empathy they feel for their followers?
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2009 5:06:30 AM
At 9/18/2009 10:13:14 PM, Volkov wrote:

That is the second time a post on DDO has reminded me of a Christopher Hitchens idea.

Do pastors, imams, rabbis, Popes and the rest of these individuals all believe in God, or are they privy to the truth, and thus only in it for the power and the empathy they feel for their followers?

It wasn't 'The Hitch'es idea: it was satans.
The Cross.. the Cross.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2009 10:21:56 AM
At 9/18/2009 10:13:14 PM, Volkov wrote:

In the age of the internet, I doubt that something like that could stay in the shadows for very long. GeoLaureate might be able to weigh in, but I haven't seen him post in a while.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2009 11:22:50 AM

That means that your analogy should be:
Choose one of first hundred doors (only one of which is not a horrible death). If you choose the right door, you must then choose another door out of 40 options (only one of which is not a horrible death).
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2009 11:24:00 AM
From this we see that the likelihood of choosing the "correct" religion (if such a thing even exists) is very very slim, despite everyone being absolutely certain that they have chosen the correct door.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2009 11:32:45 AM
At 9/19/2009 11:22:50 AM, JBlake wrote:

Choose one of first hundred doors (only one of which is not a horrible death). If you choose the right door, you must then choose another door out of 40 options (only one of which is not a horrible death).

Yes you are right! That did cross my mind!
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2009 4:44:20 AM
At 9/19/2009 11:24:00 AM, JBlake wrote:
From this we see that the likelihood of choosing the "correct" religion (if such a thing even exists) is very very slim, despite everyone being absolutely certain that they have chosen the correct door.

Ultimately God chooses, not you.
The Cross.. the Cross.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2009 8:08:01 AM
At 9/19/2009 11:22:50 AM, JBlake wrote:

The lesson to be learned?

Be a door salesman.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2009 10:51:19 AM
At 9/21/2009 4:44:20 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
At 9/19/2009 11:24:00 AM, JBlake wrote:

Ultimately God chooses, not you.

Lies. Datcmoto, is satan himself, the father of lies.

So everything he says is a lie.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2009 10:59:44 AM
About the whole atheist pastors thing... there sure are a few anyway :P

http://www.christiantoday.com...
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2009 7:47:44 AM
At 9/22/2009 10:59:44 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
About the whole atheist pastors thing... there sure are a few anyway :P

http://www.christiantoday.com...

Then they should get out of their jobs and give them to people who DO believe.
The Cross.. the Cross.