Jump to topic:

Bible Discussion #1 - Stubs - 2 Kings 22:4-17

jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2012 4:42:19 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
This is a great lesson in remembering God and His ways. Keep to His path and avoid destruction.

I regret many years of doing exactly what these people did, the Lord only wants what is best for us. We just have to remember Him in all things.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
Paradox_7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2012 5:13:06 PM
At 9/13/2012 4:42:19 PM, jharry wrote:
This is a great lesson in remembering God and His ways. Keep to His path and avoid destruction.

I regret many years of doing exactly what these people did, the Lord only wants what is best for us. We just have to remember Him in all things.

Oh brother.. -_-
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
stubs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2012 5:18:36 PM
My apologies but I actually meant to discuss 1 Kings 22:4-17. Here is a link to the reading for reference http://www.biblegateway.com...

I'm not sure exactly what you guys want so I will just throw some ideas out there and you guys can respond with whatever you want.

Jehoshaphat is looking to go to war against Ramoth Gilead. So he gets 400 prophets he asks them all if he should go to war. They all say yes. 400 people saying the exact same thing. Go to war. And in verse 7 Jehoshaphat is asking if that is everyone and the king of Israel says yeah there is one more guy but I hate him because he never prophesies anything good about me (verse 8). So they bring Micaiah in and they ask him if they should go to war. And he says yeah go (verse 15). Then the king asks no seriously should we go (verse 16)? And Micaiah replies no you're gonna lose (verse 17).

Could you imagine that? 400 people saying the same exact thing. Go to war. And then Micaiah walks in and he says, "you see these 400 people? They're all lying. I'm the one guy thats telling you the truth right now."

I'm just thinking, could I do that? If I walked into a church full of 400 people all saying the same thing that I knew was unbilblical, could I stand up and say, "No that's a lie. I've been doing what Joshua 1:8 says and meditating on the word day and night. I'm going back and forth through this book enough so I know all you guys are liars and I'm the one guy in here that will tell the truth."

The reason I bring this up is to not create more internal wars about insignificant things. We do enough of that. But I would just encourage you guys to be diligent in your studies of the scriptures so that you are able to know when someone is saying something that is untrue and I hope you have the courage to say something about it and the self-control to do it in the right manner.
TheAsylum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2012 5:45:55 PM
The reason I bring this up is to not create more internal wars about insignificant things. We do enough of that. But I would just encourage you guys to be diligent in your studies of the scriptures so that you are able to know when someone is saying something that is untrue and I hope you have the courage to say something about it and the self-control to do it in the right manner.:

I liked this Stubs. This is true. We should stand up in the light of contraversy and be truthful. When we stand up sometimes and show the Word and Truth people hate it. Sometimes we return that hate and that is wrong. We should stand up and be strong of God and others. When we do so, do it in all respect and love.
You made good points. I will go further later on this later.
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2012 5:46:44 PM
The book of Kings speaks about the history of the Kings of Israel. That is the main point of the passages. But, I must respectfully disagree with stubs analysis. I do not think that the point was to show the courage of the prophet Micaiah for speaking what the king did not want to hear. The Old Testament is full of prophets telling kings things which the kings did not want to hear in any way. It is not talking about courage, because if one truly has faith and truly hears god speaking to them, they will have the courage to say what is right, god allows for all. The courage is accepting that god is speaking to you and that god is correct in what he decrees, that is the hard part (in my opinion). Doing what god commands is the easy part. This passage rather shows the stubbornness of those who do not want to accept that they may be wrong. The King is stubborn in his ways, and will not accept that Micaiah may in fact be telling the truth, even when he (the king) knows in the bottom of his heart that Micaiah is telling the truth.
TheAsylum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2012 5:47:58 PM
At 9/13/2012 5:18:36 PM, stubs wrote:
My apologies but I actually meant to discuss 1 Kings 22:4-17. Here is a link to the reading for reference http://www.biblegateway.com...:

If you feel like it, go at this one too.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2012 6:11:31 PM
I'm not sure that courage would be needed to go into that place and judge 400 people Stubs.

The verse didn't seem to match the post. Your post would have more to do with Matt 18: 15-17 but doing the exact opposite of what is said in the verses.

It seems to me that the motive for judging the "prophets" has little to do with speaking the truth.
TheAsylum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2012 6:28:55 PM
At 9/13/2012 6:11:31 PM, jharry wrote:
I'm not sure that courage would be needed to go into that place and judge 400 people Stubs.

The verse didn't seem to match the post. Your post would have more to do with Matt 18: 15-17 but doing the exact opposite of what is said in the verses.

It seems to me that the motive for judging the "prophets" has little to do with speaking the truth.

I thought the story was off, I liked the points he made regardless.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2012 6:56:09 PM
I did mention having courage, and I believe we should be. But justified

I see a lot of things in these verses.

Courage: Telling the truth when you know it is going to cost you.

Honesty: Being honest with yourself. The King was seeking of advise he wanted to hear. Do we also fall short in that area?

When the verses are read in context of the chapter we see the King had strayed from God and would not turn from his stubbornness and pride. He allowed the King to be destroyed by his out sins. I think these verses have less to do with judging those outside of the Church and more to do with looking into our hearts and reflecting on the plank in our own eye.

A little warning: It is extremely harmful to seek justification for our actions with a handful of verses or logic alone. That is how Embassy's burn.