Total Posts:176|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

How sure are you?

phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2012 9:23:47 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
If you had to put a percentage on it, how sure would you say you are in regards to the existence/non-existence of God?

I'll past mine latter.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Zaradi
Posts: 14,125
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2012 9:25:37 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
72.381673846192134854619 percent sure.

I mean, wtf do you want us to say other than "pretty sure" "not so sure" or "absolutely sure"?
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
Zaradi
Posts: 14,125
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2012 9:26:02 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/15/2012 9:25:37 PM, Zaradi wrote:
72.381673846192134854619 percent sure to the non-existence of God.

I mean, wtf do you want us to say other than "pretty sure" "not so sure" or "absolutely sure"?
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
famer
Posts: 679
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2012 9:26:31 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/15/2012 9:23:47 PM, phantom wrote:
If you had to put a percentage on it, how sure would you say you are in regards to the existence/non-existence of God?

I'll past mine latter.

I'm not very religiously educated (haven't read the bible, looked deeply at the history and had theist-atheist discussions etc.) but I'm 99% sure that some form of supernatural power govern the world we live in.

But in regards to the Christian God, i'm about 60-70% sure of his existence.
abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc
famer
Posts: 679
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2012 9:27:04 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/15/2012 9:26:02 PM, Zaradi wrote:
At 9/15/2012 9:25:37 PM, Zaradi wrote:
72.381673846192134854619 percent sure to the non-existence of God.

I mean, wtf do you want us to say other than "pretty sure" "not so sure" or "absolutely sure"?

Percentage-wise I guess.
abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2012 9:41:02 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
99.99999% sure.

I'm not just trolling to get on theists' nerves. Most of the theistic arguments in favor of God are open-ended, placing limits on the scope of science and then using God to fill the gap. However it doesn't necessarily follow that because the universe must come from an uncaused thing, that thing is a God. If you really want to curtail the scope of science and speculate on existence beyond the universe, you're arguing on a terrain that transgresses the laws of logic (since logic is bound to the universe)....and any subject that defies logic is completely incomprehensible. Therefore there must be limitless doubt, doubt ad infinitum....and God, a conscious, personal, omni-xyz being can only be 1 arbitrary possibility out of infinity.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
EricPrice
Posts: 79
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2012 9:50:38 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
A militant and angry anti-theist am I. Therefore, if I say that there are gods, then my opinion should be weighted more than that of most.

Kim Jong Il, the god who until recently ruled over North Korea was at least one of our world's divine beings. There have been many such deities over the centuries, though I have worshiped none of them. Pharaohs, pfft.

As for the more fantastical, "you can't see them but I can" gods.... these don't exist outside of literature, and I am more than certain. I can also prove it absolutely. So.
EricPrice
Posts: 79
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2012 10:04:12 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Apologies. I am 100% certain that these literary creations are not floating about anywhere, solid and active, in our universe.

We may observe and study their appearances in literature, and trace back their authors to within a few thousand persons. We may watch the popularity of stories about them wax and then wane, and then vanish. Unless we are expected to remain careful that we not offend Mithra, or Thor, or Pan, or Enki, or Pazuzu.... we should not give much mind to the ones that have not been forgotten yet, either.

For those who can never seem to "prove a negative:" I am god. I am all of them, and you can't prove I'm not. You can be 99.99999% sure that I am mistaken, but if you are to be intellectually honest, you can never be absolutely certain that I am not about to blast your @ss with my wrathful thunderbolts for your doubts. As your god and the creator of the universe, I demand money. And a few girls. And absinthe and Dr. Pepper. And some privacy.

Now, mortals!
THEBOMB
Posts: 2,872
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2012 10:06:53 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/15/2012 9:23:47 PM, phantom wrote:
If you had to put a percentage on it, how sure would you say you are in regards to the existence/non-existence of God?

I'll past mine latter.

0% sure of the existence of god. 0% sure of the non-existence of god. Why? This is a loaded question. Religions, such as Christianity, are faith based. Thomas Aquinas wrote that truth is known by reason (natural revelation/phenomenon) and faith (supernatural revelation/phenomenon). I believe God falls under the second category :P You can deduce god through reason but that deduction is "empty" without faith.
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2012 10:10:50 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I am 100% sure that I am 100% unsure.

And I am 73% sure that God both does and doesn't exist at the same time.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Deathbeforedishonour
Posts: 1,058
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2012 10:14:15 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
99.99% That sure that gods/goddesses are fiction.
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." ~ John 1:1

Matthew 10:22- "And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved."
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2012 10:17:32 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I am 100% sure that all gods exist. Yahweh, Ra, Vishnu, Krishna, Thor, Zeus, Allah, Brahman, they all exist.

Why? Because I believe 100% in Infinity. And in Infinity, everything exists.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2012 10:18:27 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
It depends on how you look at it. As far as belief is concerned it can't be a percentage. You either believe something or you don't. That's why people get fed up with agnostics, because they don't understand that belief isn't the same thing as certainty. So belief wise, I just plain don't believe. I've flirted with deism for a while but now I'm not so sure and feel comfortable holding a negative view on the matter (organized religion I've had non-belief in for over a year probably). As far as certainty is concerned, I've been moving closer and closer to a sort of epistemic nihilism. You know, sensory fallibility and the circularity of logic and all that jazz. So under certainty just put me down as N/A.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
imabench
Posts: 21,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2012 10:19:02 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
In my opinion:

95% chance God exists
84% chance the Devil exists
40% chance that the major events of the Bible actually occurred
4% chance that EVERYTHING in the Bible actually happened
2% chance the Jets win the Superbowl
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2012 10:19:55 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
People will be endlessly confused until they stop applying the primitive notion of strictly "is" and "isn't" to everything.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2012 10:21:02 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/15/2012 10:17:32 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
I am 100% sure that all gods exist. Yahweh, Ra, Vishnu, Krishna, Thor, Zeus, Allah, Brahman, they all exist.

Why? Because I believe 100% in Infinity. And in Infinity, everything exists.

But the Jewish Yahweh, Christian God, and Muslim Allah are all conceived of as infinite. Isn't it impossible for multiple infinities to exist simultaneously? Forgive me as I haven't looked too much into whether such a thing is possible.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2012 10:21:27 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/15/2012 10:19:55 PM, FREEDO wrote:
People will be endlessly confused until they stop applying the primitive notion of strictly "is" and "isn't" to everything.

This...ish.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
stubs
Posts: 1,887
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2012 10:22:21 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/15/2012 10:17:32 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
I am 100% sure that all gods exist. Yahweh, Ra, Vishnu, Krishna, Thor, Zeus, Allah, Brahman, they all exist.

Why? Because I believe 100% in Infinity. And in Infinity, everything exists.

Logical impossibility. If the Christian God exists then the others do not. He claims that he is the only God and according to Christianity he's not much of a liar.
stubs
Posts: 1,887
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2012 10:23:04 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/15/2012 10:19:02 PM, imabench wrote:
In my opinion:

95% chance God exists
84% chance the Devil exists
40% chance that the major events of the Bible actually occurred
4% chance that EVERYTHING in the Bible actually happened
2% chance the Jets win the Superbowl

Hahah crying
Ron-Paul
Posts: 2,557
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2012 10:23:44 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
For me:

99.99% Allah exists.
pi% a sizable amount of the Bible stuff actually happened.
e-e%the whole of the Bible stuff happened.
i% The Bible is fact
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2012 10:25:33 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/15/2012 10:21:02 PM, socialpinko wrote:
But the Jewish Yahweh, Christian God, and Muslim Allah are all conceived of as infinite. Isn't it impossible for multiple infinities to exist simultaneously? Forgive me as I haven't looked too much into whether such a thing is possible.

Not really. Yahweh isn't in Hell, Yahweh isn't a demon, Yahweh isn't in a black hole. Yahweh is a deity who claimed to be the best God. Just like Zeus. Judaism and Islam are Henotheistic. They acknowledge the existence of other gods, but claim to be the biggest and best.

However, everything is the infinite according to the Holonistic view point. Just like a hologram, everything in the universe is a smaller version of the whole. So Yahweh, Allah, Zeus, Ra, are all Infinite if speaking in those terms.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2012 10:27:08 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/15/2012 10:22:21 PM, stubs wrote:
Logical impossibility. If the Christian God exists then the others do not. He claims that he is the only God and according to Christianity he's not much of a liar.

False. The Bible isn't entirely true. It is wrong about it's description of Yahweh. So it is not a logical impossibility, it is merely an impossibility according to your doctrine.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2012 10:27:15 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/15/2012 10:25:33 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 9/15/2012 10:21:02 PM, socialpinko wrote:
But the Jewish Yahweh, Christian God, and Muslim Allah are all conceived of as infinite. Isn't it impossible for multiple infinities to exist simultaneously? Forgive me as I haven't looked too much into whether such a thing is possible.

Not really. Yahweh isn't in Hell, Yahweh isn't a demon, Yahweh isn't in a black hole. Yahweh is a deity who claimed to be the best God. Just like Zeus. Judaism and Islam are Henotheistic. They acknowledge the existence of other gods, but claim to be the biggest and best.

I honestly didn't realize that.

However, everything is the infinite according to the Holonistic view point. Just like a hologram, everything in the universe is a smaller version of the whole. So Yahweh, Allah, Zeus, Ra, are all Infinite if speaking in those terms.

What about the Christian God? Isn't it considered explicitly omni-everything?
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2012 10:28:57 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/15/2012 10:27:08 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 9/15/2012 10:22:21 PM, stubs wrote:
Logical impossibility. If the Christian God exists then the others do not. He claims that he is the only God and according to Christianity he's not much of a liar.

False. The Bible isn't entirely true. It is wrong about it's description of Yahweh. So it is not a logical impossibility, it is merely an impossibility according to your doctrine.

You just said that everything exists in infinity. Therefore, this answer does not address the issue.

I would say that people are simply not well comprehending of the idea of separate universes and what that entails.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2012 10:30:08 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/15/2012 10:28:57 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 9/15/2012 10:27:08 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 9/15/2012 10:22:21 PM, stubs wrote:
Logical impossibility. If the Christian God exists then the others do not. He claims that he is the only God and according to Christianity he's not much of a liar.

False. The Bible isn't entirely true. It is wrong about it's description of Yahweh. So it is not a logical impossibility, it is merely an impossibility according to your doctrine.

You just said that everything exists in infinity. Therefore, this answer does not address the issue.

How not. Just because "everything exists in Infinity" doesn't mean that all propositions are true.

I would say that people are simply not well comprehending of the idea of separate universes and what that entails.

That is true.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2012 10:37:26 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/15/2012 10:30:08 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
How not. Just because "everything exists in Infinity" doesn't mean that all propositions are true.

Better to say that it does away with truth all together. If all is, there there is no not, which makes makes is meaningless, as there's nothing to compare it to.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
stubs
Posts: 1,887
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2012 10:39:42 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/15/2012 10:27:08 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 9/15/2012 10:22:21 PM, stubs wrote:
Logical impossibility. If the Christian God exists then the others do not. He claims that he is the only God and according to Christianity he's not much of a liar.

False. The Bible isn't entirely true. It is wrong about it's description of Yahweh. So it is not a logical impossibility, it is merely an impossibility according to your doctrine.

So you're saying the Christian God exists but he's not actually the Christian God? Okay
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2012 11:01:32 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/15/2012 10:59:07 PM, TheAsylum wrote:
Im sure, like 1000% sure!

and you're 1000% dead wrong.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
TheAsylum
Posts: 772
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2012 11:03:49 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/15/2012 11:01:32 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 9/15/2012 10:59:07 PM, TheAsylum wrote:
Im sure, like 1000% sure!

and you're 1000% dead wrong.

I didn't even say what I was sure of, but you knew that didn't you. Ike, you know jack-sizz.