It's Rosh Hashanah - L'Shanah Tovah

Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2012 6:46:36 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
L'shanah tovah tikatev v'taihatem

(May you be inscribed and sealed for a good year)
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2012 6:50:12 PM
At 9/16/2012 6:46:36 PM, Sidewalker wrote:

I have monday and tuesday off because for this holiday I don't even celebrate :p. Thank God for religions
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2012 8:28:37 PM
At 9/16/2012 8:14:08 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
What does this holiday entail? I'm just curious.

It's the Jewish new year, as far as I know. I don't really know the specifics though.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2012 8:38:31 PM
At 9/16/2012 8:14:08 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
What does this holiday entail? I'm just curious.

Well like most Jewish holidays (with the exception of Yom Kippur) it involves eating. Naturally special prayers are involved as well.

There's an important aspect of asking for forgiveness and preparing ones self for the new year.

One of the most important aspects of Rosh Hashana is hearing the Shofar. A ritual horn that alerts Jewish people that the new year has arrived and that they should prepare themselves spiritually. The shofar is sounded at specific times, and in specific ways, during the prayer services and is one of the essential things one must do on Rosh Hashana.

Aside from that there are various other customs for the sake of symbolism. One involves easting apples dipped in honey during the meal to symbolize a desire to have a sweet year.

Another is the "Seudat Rosh Hashana" which is a festive meal shared with family and friends.

Another is wishing as many people as possible a L'shana Tova... 'A Happy new year'.
Debate.org Moderator
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2012 8:39:46 PM

thank you

Debate.org Moderator
baggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 2:20:30 PM

The Holy Quran 29:19-20

See they not how Allah originates creation, then repeats it: truly that is easy for Allah.

Say: "Travel through the earth and see how Allah did originate creation; so will Allah produce a later creation: for Allah has power over all things.
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 9:27:11 PM

"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)