Jump to topic:

"Jesus said to them, 'My wife..."

Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2012 12:53:39 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
"A historian of early Christianity at Harvard Divinity School has identified a scrap of papyrus that she says was written in Coptic in the fourth century and contains a phrase never seen in any piece of scripture: "Jesus said to them, 'My wife..."

Just below the line about Jesus having a wife, the papyrus includes a second provocative clause that purportedly says, "she will be able to be my disciple."

Even with many questions unsettled, the discovery could reignite the debate over whether Jesus was married, whether Mary Magdalene was his wife and whether he had a female disciple."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At this point, little is known about the authenticity, origins, or context of the scrap in question, but what about the potential relevance? If true, would Jesus being married have any significance to you? Could historical discoveries ever, or have they ever, impacted your personal beliefs?
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Paradox_7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2012 1:06:34 AM
Christ referred to the church as his bride.

This item will most likely be found unreliable, however, the church being a body of disciples isn't to unlikely given the reference of wife.
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2012 1:12:42 AM
I don't think I'd rely too much on a scrap of paper dated to 300-400 years after Jesus lived.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
baggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2012 1:20:00 AM
At 9/19/2012 12:53:39 AM, Maikuru wrote:
"A historian of early Christianity at Harvard Divinity School has identified a scrap of papyrus that she says was written in Coptic in the fourth century and contains a phrase never seen in any piece of scripture: "Jesus said to them, 'My wife..."

Just below the line about Jesus having a wife, the papyrus includes a second provocative clause that purportedly says, "she will be able to be my disciple."

Even with many questions unsettled, the discovery could reignite the debate over whether Jesus was married, whether Mary Magdalene was his wife and whether he had a female disciple."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At this point, little is known about the authenticity, origins, or context of the scrap in question, but what about the potential relevance? If true, would Jesus being married have any significance to you? Could historical discoveries ever, or have they ever, impacted your personal beliefs?

The question of matrimony of Prophet Jesus (Peace on Him) does not affects his message. It should have no impact on faith. On other hand, it is an interesting question.
The Holy Quran 29:19-20

See they not how Allah originates creation, then repeats it: truly that is easy for Allah.

Say: "Travel through the earth and see how Allah did originate creation; so will Allah produce a later creation: for Allah has power over all things.
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2012 3:43:17 AM
Story book jesus was obviously a disgusting homosexual, so any reference to its Story book wife would be a reference to another male!

Next!
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2012 4:59:46 AM
At 9/19/2012 3:43:17 AM, Composer wrote:
Story book jesus was obviously a disgusting homosexual, so any reference to its Story book wife would be a reference to another male!

Next!

y u h8 homosexls?
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2012 5:08:53 AM
At 9/19/2012 4:59:46 AM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:
At 9/19/2012 3:43:17 AM, Composer wrote:

Next!

y u h8 homosexls?

Me Composer the ongoing successful Cult buster: Because they stick their penis in disgusting pooh!
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2012 12:23:10 PM
At 9/19/2012 3:29:28 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Perhaps the book "The Da Vinci Code" was onto something even if it is fiction, haha.

Dan Brown meticulously researches before he publishes things. He didn't make that up; there has been speculation about it for a long time.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2012 12:23:30 PM
There is some speculation that Jesus married Mary Magdalene. Dan Brown's The DaVinci Code is a fiction book that explores that idea.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2012 4:36:56 PM
Are you sure its talking about the actual Jesus? I have a neighbor named Jesus (yes hes Mexican) and Im not sure if Jesus was a popular name back then, but im skeptical to even consider this if the text doesnt mention his full name and only refers to a Jesus
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2012 6:12:56 PM
At 9/19/2012 12:53:39 AM, Maikuru wrote:

At this point, little is known about the authenticity, origins, or context of the scrap in question, but what about the potential relevance? If true, would Jesus being married have any significance to you?

Not particularly.

Could historical discoveries ever, or have they ever, impacted your personal beliefs?

Yes, they could, they should and they have. The whole field of biblical criticism is intimately tied to historical fields like archaeology and anthropology and the like.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Archistrategos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2012 6:19:18 PM
At 9/19/2012 6:09:12 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
http://cosmiclog.nbcnews.com...

Yeahhh...

And the man was questioned "From whence didst thou gain thy knowing?"

And he answered "From a burning box full of light and color, and its name was NBC."
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2012 6:21:48 PM
At 9/19/2012 6:19:18 PM, Archistrategos wrote:
At 9/19/2012 6:09:12 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
http://cosmiclog.nbcnews.com...

Yeahhh...

And the man was questioned "From whence didst thou gain thy knowing?"

And he answered "From a burning box full of light and color, and its name was NBC."

...okay?
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2012 6:33:20 PM
Don't you think that if Jesus had been married, His treatment of His wife would have made it into the Bible as an example of how to treat our wives?? Don't you think his wife would have been mentioned in the Gospels??
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2012 8:43:55 PM
At 9/19/2012 6:33:20 PM, medic0506 wrote:
Don't you think that if Jesus had been married, His treatment of His wife would have made it into the Bible as an example of how to treat our wives?? Don't you think his wife would have been mentioned in the Gospels??

Not if some people considered sex a necessary sin. Jesus was supposed to be free from all sin, including lust.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2012 8:48:42 PM
Medic, there actually is a Gospel that indicates that Jesus married Mary Magdalene. It's called the Gospel of Phillip.

The Gospel of Philip depicts Mary as Jesus' Koinōnos (κοινωνός), a Greek term indicating a "close friend" or "companion". [74] Mary Magdalene is mentioned as one of three Marys "who always walked with the Lord" and as his companion (Philip 59.6-11). The work also says that Lord loved her more than all the disciples, and used to kiss her often (63.34-36).[22] Author John Dickson argues that it was common in early Christianity to kiss a fellow believer by way of greeting,[1 Pet. 5:14] and as such kissing would have no romantic connotations.[75] Kripal writes that "the historical sources are simply too contradictory and simultaneously too silent" to make absolute declarations regarding Jesus' sexuality.[76] Bart Ehrman concludes: "What does the historical evidence tell us about Mary and Jesus?..it tells us nothing at all - certainly nothing to indicate that Jesus and Mary had a sexual relationship of any kind.".[77]
13th century Romanesque capital showing Jesus and Mary Magdalene (Noli me tangere).

Mary Magdalene appears with more frequency than other women in the canonical Gospels and is shown as being a close follower of Jesus. Mary's presence at the Crucifixion and Jesus' tomb, has been suggested to be as at least consistent with the role of grieving wife and widow.[citation needed]

Proponents of a companionship with Jesus argue that it would have been unthinkable for an unmarried, adult male Jew to travel about teaching as a rabbi.[citation needed]
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2012 8:51:20 PM
At 9/19/2012 6:33:20 PM, medic0506 wrote:

The Fool: The Gospels cut out Jesus Whole child hood. The parts of that story exist. The Greeks just decided to not put that part in the cannon. Because it potrayed Jesus as a childhood hood trouble maker. Turnging People into animals And such. But if he wasn`t even child like then. He should have been able to talk as a fetus and or being first born with perfect understanding of the universe and perfect language. I can see him now the talking infant that some how didn`t make the bible.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2012 9:47:00 PM
At 9/19/2012 12:23:10 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
Perhaps the book "The Da Vinci Code" was onto something even if it is fiction, haha.

Dan Brown meticulously researches before he publishes things.

Roflcopter.
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2012 10:04:37 PM
At 9/19/2012 9:47:00 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

Dan Brown meticulously researches before he publishes things.

Roflcopter.

He does. I'm not saying that it's conclusively true; I'm just saying that it wasn't his original idea.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2012 8:02:41 AM
This was all over the news in Dallas last night. I do find it hilarious how people start making judgement before the full analysis is complete.

Some things I heard:
- 400 years after Jesus, so the newer gospels more valid.
- Since newer gospels did not mention an important fact like marriage, it didn't happen.
- It didn't get into the bible because God didn't want it to be there.

Probably best valid judgement I heard was:
- Even if Jesus was found to be married, it does not change anything in the faith. (Although I have to imagine sects which practice celibacy will be kicking themselves in the butt, but I'm sure they can still rationalize celibacy.)
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2012 12:44:23 PM
I don't understand what this actually changes, and why this is a big deal. His message remains the same, and his ultimate purpose doesn't change. Who really cares, (I mean beyond the general interest factor)?
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2012 12:57:08 PM

Dan Brown meticulously researches before he publishes things. He didn't make that up; there has been speculation about it for a long time.

lol. whilst the idea has been around for a while, claiming dan brown reaserches his sh1t is sh1t. he makes so many basic errors in his bookes thatwa its kinda obvious he did jack all reaserch.
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2012 12:58:02 PM
At 9/28/2012 12:57:08 PM, Thaddeus wrote:

lol. whilst the idea has been around for a while, claiming dan brown reaserches his sh1t is sh1t. he makes so many basic errors in his bookes thatwa its kinda obvious he did jack all reaserch.

im referring to georgraphic/historical errors. couldn't care about jdawgs wifinator.
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2012 2:22:36 PM
At 9/28/2012 12:44:23 PM, innomen wrote:
I don't understand what this actually changes, and why this is a big deal. His message remains the same, and his ultimate purpose doesn't change. Who really cares, (I mean beyond the general interest factor)?

I don't see that it would change anything either, but as a married man, I also don't believe it's possible.

In the entire history of the world, no married man has ever told the wife he's going on a road trip with twelve of his buddies for a year or so and actually survived the ensuing discussion. It just couldn't happen.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater