Jump to topic:

Bill Maher's 'Religulous'

Floid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2009 5:21:39 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
Yeah, it had some funny parts and a few interesting parts. For the most part Bill goes after people who are obviously ignorant to having ever given deep thought about the issues related to religion, like in the truck stop church at the beginning or in the Jesus park place. While it gives some amusing answers (and unfortunately for those of us who live in places like the south eastern United States are all too familiar) it doesn't lead to good debate or answers.

What I did find interesting is when he interviews Francis Collins (I think that is his name, the guy who led the genome mapping project) and the Catholic astronomer (probably the best versed in actually presenting intelligent pro-Christian points of view in the movie). Collins was very disappointing for someone I would assume was really bright... he falls back to the "I just believe" which is a pretty weak statement for a scientist to make.

Anyway, the movie was entertaining but no necessarily super informative.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2009 7:57:19 AM
At 9/21/2009 5:21:39 AM, Floid wrote:
What I did find interesting is when he interviews Francis Collins (I think that is his name, the guy who led the genome mapping project) Collins was very disappointing for someone I would assume was really bright... he falls back to the "I just believe" which is a pretty weak statement for a scientist to make.

I don't find this surprising at all. I won't pretend to have anywhere near the expertise that Collins has, but I am familiar enough with the topic and the processes around the topic (research politics, the politics of the scientific community) to know that this man obviously has no support for what he believes.

I believe I was caught in a discussion with some creationist on the forum who brought up Collins' name, I forget who, but it is painfully obvious that his expertise had little if anything to do with his belief.

You'll see that whenever someone acts as head of any project, the amount of thinking they have to do goes way down. Those who use his position as evidence for Intelligent Design don't get it. If the human genome project really had this sort of revelation, why don't Collins' interns and technicians come out with a newfound belief in an Intelligent Designer?

Answer: Because they were the ones doing all the work.

In all likelihood, Collins did not more than act as a figurehead, and ID proponents gloss over that probability.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2009 7:32:50 AM
At 9/21/2009 5:21:39 AM, Floid wrote:
Yeah, it had some funny parts and a few interesting parts. For the most part Bill goes after people who are obviously ignorant to having ever given deep thought about the issues related to religion, like in the truck stop church at the beginning or in the Jesus park place. While it gives some amusing answers (and unfortunately for those of us who live in places like the south eastern United States are all too familiar) it doesn't lead to good debate or answers.

What I did find interesting is when he interviews Francis Collins (I think that is his name, the guy who led the genome mapping project) and the Catholic astronomer (probably the best versed in actually presenting intelligent pro-Christian points of view in the movie). Collins was very disappointing for someone I would assume was really bright... he falls back to the "I just believe" which is a pretty weak statement for a scientist to make.

Anyway, the movie was entertaining but no necessarily super informative.

' I just believe ' is the STRONGEST statement imaginable.
The Cross.. the Cross.