To all the Atheist

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2012 6:06:54 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/20/2012 5:55:40 PM, Jordan56 wrote:
Why do you choose not to believe in God. What is your reasoning.

It's not that I reject God,....it's that I reject your God, the one that is personal and intervenes in the natural world, and then sends people to heaven or hell based on their Earthly deeds. The reason is that such a being with the power to leave obvious and observable footprints on Earth should be incontestable...the absence of those footprints, and thus those purported powers leads me to believe that a God with those attributes must be nonsense. In addition, it's increasingly obvious that there's no such logical or physical thing as "freedom of will", so ascribing ethereal punishments to the victims of a predetermined causal sequence is a miscarriage of justice, and displacement of blame.

I agree with the common atheistic talking points like the POE and paradox of stone,...they are valid. However aren't what sustains my dissent. My dissent is sustained by the absence proof, and the idea that I should donate my life to some cosmic creature that has given me no compelling reason to acknowledge his existence. Christianity, and other such dogmatic religions infuriate me. My conviction is against them. My conviction is not necessarily against theism.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2012 6:21:30 PM
At 9/20/2012 6:06:54 PM, 000ike wrote:

It's not that I reject God,....it's that I reject your God, the one that is personal and intervenes in the natural world, and then sends people to heaven or hell based on their Earthly deeds.

I do not believe in eternal hell.

The reason is that such a being with the power to leave obvious and observable footprints on Earth should be incontestable...the absence of those footprints, and thus those purported powers leads me to believe that a God with those attributes must be nonsense.

I do believe the there is supporting evidence for God's existence but I'm not inclined to discuss or advance my religion..

In addition, it's increasingly obvious that there's no such logical or physical thing as "freedom of will", so ascribing ethereal punishments to the victims of a predetermined causal sequence is a miscarriage of justice, and displacement of blame.

One day I may teach you about this funny concept called "compatibilism."

I agree with the common atheistic talking points like the POE and paradox of stone,...they are valid.

Only to a God that could "defy logic", so to speak. I don't think that God could do that; he only has unlimited power.

However aren't what sustains my dissent. My dissent is sustained by the absence proof, and the idea that I should donate my life to some cosmic creature that has given me no compelling reason to acknowledge his existence. Christianity, and other such dogmatic religions infuriate me. My conviction is against them. My conviction is not necessarily against theism.

I see. Well, I'm not trying to convert anyone. I'm just bothered by irrationality from both sides.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
ScottyDouglas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2012 6:23:01 PM
My dissent is sustained by the absence proof, and the idea that I should donate my life to some cosmic creature that has given me no compelling reason to acknowledge his existence.:
He has given you plenty of reason, you ignore it! God is not a creature, we are.
Christianity, and other such dogmatic religions infuriate me.:
This may be your problem. You mite need consuling. You have a anger problem.
My conviction is against them.:
You are racist against Christians, How nice.
TheAsylum
Deathbeforedishonour
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2012 6:23:13 PM

http://www.debate.org...

This is my case against ALL god's, both Theistic and Deistic.
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." ~ John 1:1

Matthew 10:22- "And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved."
Jordan56
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2012 6:26:39 PM

It's not that I reject God,....it's that I reject your God, the one that is personal and intervenes in the natural world, and then sends people to heaven or hell based on their Earthly deeds. The reason is that such a being with the power to leave obvious and observable footprints on Earth should be incontestable...the absence of those footprints, and thus those purported powers leads me to believe that a God with those attributes must be nonsense. In addition, it's increasingly obvious that there's no such logical or physical thing as "freedom of will", so ascribing ethereal punishments to the victims of a predetermined causal sequence is a miscarriage of justice, and displacement of blame.

I agree with the common atheistic talking points like the POE and paradox of stone,...they are valid. However aren't what sustains my dissent. My dissent is sustained by the absence proof, and the idea that I should donate my life to some cosmic creature that has given me no compelling reason to acknowledge his existence. Christianity, and other such dogmatic religions infuriate me. My conviction is against them. My conviction is not necessarily against theism.

Very interesting. Again not trying to convert anyone, but the way I see it is you portray a God that basically says repent or go to hell. I'm going to need you to be a little open minded here. I believe the christian religion has more to do with everyone trying there best to life a pure life. By what your saying, with God in the picture your whole life has to be a test of right and wrong, yet it isn't. I believe it has more to do with striving for a perfect life and in the end God will clean the earth and provide you with that perfect life. I also don't believe in an eternal hell. God doesn't want people to suffer. We are his children.

Lets say that your disobey your father. He forgives you and yet you continue to disobey. And yet he continues to forgive you. This happens to the point where your killing thousands of people. Your father loves you, yet he's going to kill you to stop all the deaths. Remember he forgave you numerous times, yet you continued wrong.

God is delaying his return so that everyone has a fair chance to live pure and in harmony with one another.

Again not trying to convert anyone, just doing some research and gaining some opinions. I know some points might be off but just trying to understand.

Any more opinions.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2012 6:27:11 PM

What purpose is there to believing in a God? There is no earthly way of knowing God exists. And if he does, then so what? Most societies have ethical codes to keep people in line, that if they are followed correctly, most people should be able to get into heaven even if these Gods do exists. If we are good people, care about others, don't murder, rape, or mentally/physically abuse others, and generally lead good lives, can we not get into heaven, even if we don't believe in God?

If God were so harsh, then I wouldn't want to waste time worshipping or believing in one. If a God does exist, then I think I will be accepted by him, but I think actively believing in a God is kind of pointless without actually knowing if one could exist.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2012 6:29:54 PM
At 9/20/2012 6:26:39 PM, Jordan56 wrote:
I believe the christian religion has more to do with everyone trying there best to life a pure life. I believe it has more to do with striving for a perfect life and in the end God will clean the earth and provide you with that perfect life. God doesn't want people to suffer. We are his children.

Okay, so if I do these things without believing in a God, do you think I should still be allowed into heaven?
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2012 6:34:45 PM
Most atheists that I've met are usually not as fervently opposed on the area of a deist as they are on the traditional mainstream religions. More so than simply a disbelief in God, atheism is probably bred from all of the religious dogma that mainstream religions (Christianity, Judaism, and especially Islam) are trying to shove down the throats of their own country, use it to justify religious Holy wars, or use it to justify the abhorrent treatment of other humans in a society.

Personally, I would be fine being a deist with a God that rules over the universe but doesn't intervene- not that I am, because there is no evidence. However, it's the Christian and Islamo fascists that make most atheists want to puke and are likely significant factors in their "conversion."
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Jordan56
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2012 6:44:21 PM
At 9/20/2012 6:29:54 PM, TUF wrote:
At 9/20/2012 6:26:39 PM, Jordan56 wrote:
I believe the christian religion has more to do with everyone trying there best to life a pure life. I believe it has more to do with striving for a perfect life and in the end God will clean the earth and provide you with that perfect life. God doesn't want people to suffer. We are his children.

Okay, so if I do these things without believing in a God, do you think I should still be allowed into heaven?

Yes, and you probably will. God doesn't want to bash you just because you don't believe in him. He accepts you when you have a clean soul even if you don't believe in him.
Jordan56
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2012 6:47:30 PM
At 9/20/2012 6:34:45 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Most atheists that I've met are usually not as fervently opposed on the area of a deist as they are on the traditional mainstream religions. More so than simply a disbelief in God, atheism is probably bred from all of the religious dogma that mainstream religions (Christianity, Judaism, and especially Islam) are trying to shove down the throats of their own country, use it to justify religious Holy wars, or use it to justify the abhorrent treatment of other humans in a society.

Personally, I would be fine being a deist with a God that rules over the universe but doesn't intervene- not that I am, because there is no evidence. However, it's the Christian and Islamo fascists that make most atheists want to puke and are likely significant factors in their "conversion."

Even though I am Christian, I feel the same way. All religions are wrong in their teaching. They all try to get people to come to their church and at the same time drowning them in scriptures and telling them they are going to hell if they don't believe. I am not about that God.
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2012 7:02:42 PM

No, I think it's nutfucks like Dawkins that convert people by calling all religion violent.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
Polaris
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2012 7:24:11 PM
At 9/20/2012 6:23:01 PM, ScottyDouglas wrote:

One cannot be racist against members of something other than race.
ScottyDouglas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2012 7:42:19 PM
At 9/20/2012 7:24:11 PM, Polaris wrote:

Ohh...who said that Christians and people of God are the same race as others who are not? Because we are not! Therefore there is racism.
Remember we are of God and those who are not are of their father the serpent. We are lambs and they are vipors.
TheAsylum
Archistrategos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2012 7:52:58 PM
At 9/20/2012 7:42:19 PM, ScottyDouglas wrote:
At 9/20/2012 7:24:11 PM, Polaris wrote:

Ohh...who said that Christians and people of God are the same race as others who are not? Because we are not! Therefore there is racism.
Remember we are of God and those who are not are of their father the serpent. We are lambs and they are vipors.

I believe the word you guys are looking for is bigot.

And is their any other Creator? Any other Father of Life other than The One True Living God?

We are all His children and nothing can take out of his hand what is His. Unless He hands them to the lesser light that rules the night for their chastising.
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2012 7:54:25 PM
ALL Supernatural god(s) are 100% human conceived & devised Supernatural mythical beings!

Even the next genuine Story book believer to step forward outside of Story book Land will be the very first in man's entire history!

That is easily proven by using their own preferred Story book bible version!
Polaris
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2012 7:57:30 PM

Ohh...who said that Christians and people of God are the same race as others :who :are not? Because we are not! Therefore there is racism.

No one, nor would they need to. Christianity isn't a race, therefore prejudice of Christians wouldn't constitute racism.
Agent_Orange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2012 8:01:38 PM

I don't choose not to believe. I just don't.
#BlackLivesMatter
Jordan56
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2012 8:07:13 PM
At 9/20/2012 8:01:38 PM, Agent_Orange wrote:

I don't choose not to believe. I just don't.

So would you classify yourself as an atheist gnostic and really just not care about the issue.

http://freethinker.co.uk...
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2012 8:17:57 PM
At 9/20/2012 7:02:42 PM, MouthWash wrote:

No, I think it's nutfucks like Dawkins that convert people by calling all religion violent.

The three main religions are extremely violent in some degrees; there is absolutely no denying this.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2012 8:23:15 PM
. . . . . . . . those who are not are of their father the serpent. . . . .

Me Composer the ongoing successful Cult buster: In your preferred Story book Land Genesis narrative the one that told the Truth was the Serpent NOT Story book god!
wiploc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 11:00:31 AM

I always expected to become a Christian. Everyone around me was Christian. Madalyn Murray was the only American non-theist I'd ever heard of. I waited patiently for someone to explain how the bible could be distinguished from Mother Goose, which I assumed they would do when they thought I was ready.

This never happened. Eventually, I got impatient; I went to the public library, and read the teleological, ontological, and cosmological arguments. They were stupid, patently absurd.

If those were the best arguments the theists had, then there was no reason to be a theist. The reason nobody had explained how bible stories could be distinguished from fairy tales is this: Bible stories are fairy tales.

I felt confident that theists didn't secretly have any better arguments. It stands to reason that they'd field good arguments if they had them. People with good arguments don't bother with bad ones.

---

The Meaning of "God."

Now, the above is why I believe I'll never encounter a good argument for believing in god. But why do I believe there are no gods? That depends on what we mean by gods. The Pharaohs and Roman emperors were gods; and they really existed; so doesn't that prove the existence of gods? The problem is, that's not how I generally use the word.

To my way of thinking, gods are extraordinary. They pass the Superman test. Superman could outrun a speeding locomotive and leap over tall buildings with a single bound. That's impressive. That's godlike. If you can't do something at least that weird and unlikely, then you aren't a god.

Gods are unlikely, then. If you aren't unlikely, you aren't a god; if you are a god, you probably don't exist.

---

The Parable of the Pawnbroker

True story. I call it a parable, but it happened to me.

I was a pawnbroker. This guy came into my store, drew a chain out of his right-side pocket, and said, "How much will you give me for this fine gold necklace?"

I politely looked at his necklace. It was fake. I pointed out to him the chintzy clasp, totally unlike what would be on a necklace of value. But he still insisted that it was real; so I cut the chain with a file, ready to test it with acid. But I didn't need the acid: the inside was brown, not even gold in color.

The guy dropped the chain in his left pocket. He drew another chain out of his right pocket, and said, "This one's the real thing." This one's the real thing? That was like admitting he"d known all along that the first one was fake.

I showed him that this one didn't say, "14K," like real gold would. It said, "14KEP," meaning it was electroplate. It wasn't even pretending to be real. But the guy still insisted it was real. So I cut it with my file, and showed him it was another fake.

Can you guess what he did then? He dropped it into his left pocket, pulled a third chain from his right, and told me that this one was real. I was happy to file this one too, ruin it, so he couldn't try to fool anyone else.

He pulled out a fourth chain. He said it was real. I showed him that it wasn't.

First pattern: When this guy said a chain was real, that didn't carry any weight. His apparent sincerity was an act or a pathology, not an indication of actual truthfulness. His saying something was legitimate didn't make it legitimate, didn't even increase the likelihood that it was legitimate.

Second pattern: This guy's chains were fake. I had yet to examine his [next] chain, but I already believed it was fake.

I was willing to be surprised; if the chain turned out to be real, I would have accepted that. But I believed it was fake. And that was a justified belief, reasonable in the circumstances.

This story is analogous with my experience with Christianity. Somebody will tell me that the ontological argument is solid gold proof of the existence of Jehovah. I point out that it is patently absurd, and he pulls out another argument.

He doesn't blush or backpedal. He makes no apology for having indiscriminately swallowed a lie and repeated it as a truth. He doesn't tell his friends, "Hey, don't be using this argument anymore." No, he just tells me that the modal argument for necessary greatness is absolute proof of god's existence. When I point out that this argument is no stronger than its opposite, the modal argument for the nonexistence of necessary greatness, what does he do? Is he taken aback? Does he say he'd better rethink whether his god really exists? Of course not. He pulls out another argument, and says, with all the sincerity of a seller of fake chains, "This one's the real thing."

---

The Scale of Plausibility

How does a rational mind handle an unusual claim? Let's look at some examples:

Category One: Normal Claims.
Suppose I told you that I had $30 in my pocket. There wouldn't be anything particularly strange about that claim. We can call that a mundane or normal claim. You'd probably take me at my word if I made that claim.

Category Two: Strange Claims.
If, however, I said I had $30,000 in my pocket, you might think that a little strange. I could be telling the truth, but you might reserve judgement, draw no conclusions.

Category Three: Deeply Weird Claims.
What if I said my pocket, this pocket here, contains $3,000,000 in cash? That would be deep weirdness. Most of you would just assume I was lying.

Category Four: Wacko Claims.
And if I claim that I have three hundred trillion dollars in my pocket, that I have been to Mars seventeen times, and that on Mars I found the body of President Lincoln, and that I revived him to life? That would be beyond weird; that would be wacko! You would no longer think I was just lying. If you thought I was serious at all, you would assume I was sick, deranged.

This is how the rational mind works. The weirder a claim is, the less credence it is given.

The principle I illustrate is that extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Rational people dismiss extraordinary claims as false. That is the rational position. That dismissal is the fruit of a rational mind. There is nothing wrong or illogical about dismissing wacko propositions as false.

But it would be wrong would be to close your mind entirely. If you do look at the evidence for an extraordinary claim, you have to weigh that evidence objectively. You can't twist the evidence so as to allow you to reach whatever conclusion you are comfortable with. No, so long as there is any possibility that a claim is true, you cannot entirely write it off.

Category Five: Contradictions.
The only claims that we can be certain are false are those claims which involve contradiction. If something contradicts itself, then we know it is not true. Contradictions cannot be true. Therefore, they are not true. No amount of evidence could even begin to support a contradiction.

There we have it, a continuum, a range of possible claims, from the mundane through the strange, and the weird, and the whacko -- with each additional level of weirdness requiring an additional level of proof -- until we finally reach the claims that are logically impossible, where no amount of proof can suffice.

Tri-omni gods (omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent) who coexist with evil are contradictions. They do not exist because they cannot exist. Omnipotent gods who cannot defeat iron chariots cannot exist. Gods who are both all just and all merciful are contradictions. They do not exist. Gods who both can and cannot be seen are nonexistent. The Christian god, category five, cannot exist.
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 11:08:16 AM
At 9/20/2012 8:17:57 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

The three main religions are extremely violent in some degrees; there is absolutely no denying this.

What is violent about Christianity?? Are you saying that God Himself is violent, that Christianity preaches violence, what do you mean by violent??
wiploc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 11:10:55 AM
So, the Standard Christian God is a category five god. As a contradiction, he can't exist. No amount of evidence could even begin to weigh in favor of his existence.

What about other gods. Depends how weird they are. If your claim is only that your god is powerful enough to jump over a fireplug, then I believe he exists, but I don't call him a god. If your claim is that your god can stop the sun in the sky, then I'll call him a god, but he is presumptively nonexistent. You'd need to bring compelling evidence for a god like that.

The rational rule is this: The more godlike something is, the less likely to exist. And the more likely that something exists, the less likely it is to be a god.

Presumptively, then, gods do not exist. We should of course keep an open mind, in case someone presents compelling evidence for the existence of a really weird god. But we have a warranted expectation that no such evidence is forthcoming. If theists had good arguments, they wouldn't be making such terrible ones.
MilitaryAtheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 11:11:39 AM
At 9/21/2012 11:08:16 AM, medic0506 wrote:

What is violent about Christianity?? Are you saying that God Himself is violent, that Christianity preaches violence, what do you mean by violent??

I would agree. God killed entire cities and groups and also murdered Earths Ecosystem ( the Flood).
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 11:21:14 AM
Atheism holds better grammar :)
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 11:21:19 AM
At 9/21/2012 11:08:16 AM, medic0506 wrote:

Both. Not only is the God a complete prick, but if you go by scripture, Christianity is extremely violent in that of what it preaches it members to do.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 11:40:13 AM
At 9/20/2012 6:23:13 PM, Deathbeforedishonour wrote:

http://www.debate.org...

This is my case against ALL god's, both Theistic and Deistic.

LOL. You really believe that. Ok, afterlife, what? Most deists, including myself and socialpinko when he was one, do not believe in the after life. It's not even necessary for religion either. Omnipotence is not a necessary belief for theism either and I will gladly debate you on the excuse of an argument omnipotence paradox. Argument from evil? What on earth. That doesn't even touch deism nor some eastern religions.

Lastly, not that it matters much but deism is a theistic concept so your statement is incoherent.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)