Total Posts:71|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Religion

THEBOMB
Posts: 2,872
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 11:18:50 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I'm just curious, what does everyone here think the purpose of religion is? Not any one specific religion such as Christianity, but religion in general.
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 11:26:16 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
To console for the inevitability of death.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
MouthWash
Posts: 2,607
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 11:26:29 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
The truth.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
Archistrategos
Posts: 602
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 11:29:20 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/21/2012 11:18:50 AM, THEBOMB wrote:
I'm just curious, what does everyone here think the purpose of religion is? Not any one specific religion such as Christianity, but religion in general.

Re-Legio = To come together again.

I'm more of a fan of Re-Union
Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 11:30:34 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/21/2012 11:26:16 AM, Lordknukle wrote:
To console for the inevitability of death, and justify tyrannies and other political powers
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
medic0506
Posts: 13,450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 11:32:44 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/21/2012 11:26:16 AM, Lordknukle wrote:
To console for the inevitability of death.

Then why would we add in all this morality stuff that would obviously stop us from doing things that humans naturally want, like premarital sex, etc.?? Why not just stick to God existing and taking us to Heaven, and everyone gets to go??
Archistrategos
Posts: 602
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 11:40:30 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/21/2012 11:29:20 AM, Archistrategos wrote:
At 9/21/2012 11:18:50 AM, THEBOMB wrote:
I'm just curious, what does everyone here think the purpose of religion is? Not any one specific religion such as Christianity, but religion in general.

Re-Legio = To come together again.


But it has been turned into a tool of division.......by a bunch of tools.
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 11:41:38 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/21/2012 11:32:44 AM, medic0506 wrote:
At 9/21/2012 11:26:16 AM, Lordknukle wrote:
To console for the inevitability of death.

Then why would we add in all this morality stuff that would obviously stop us from doing things that humans naturally want, like premarital sex, etc.?? Why not just stick to God existing and taking us to Heaven, and everyone gets to go??

Because no matter what, nobody can be 100% certain that God exists and and that time, they didn't want to "ruin" their lives. Basically, to keep control.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
MouthWash
Posts: 2,607
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 11:46:07 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/21/2012 11:30:34 AM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
At 9/21/2012 11:26:16 AM, Lordknukle wrote:
To console for the inevitability of death, and justify tyrannies and other political powers

Stop reading Dawkins. :)
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
medic0506
Posts: 13,450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 11:55:19 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/21/2012 11:41:38 AM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 9/21/2012 11:32:44 AM, medic0506 wrote:
At 9/21/2012 11:26:16 AM, Lordknukle wrote:
To console for the inevitability of death.

Then why would we add in all this morality stuff that would obviously stop us from doing things that humans naturally want, like premarital sex, etc.?? Why not just stick to God existing and taking us to Heaven, and everyone gets to go??

Because no matter what, nobody can be 100% certain that God exists and and that time, they didn't want to "ruin" their lives. Basically, to keep control.

So is it to ease the transition, or control the masses?? Make up your mind.
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 12:09:16 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/21/2012 11:55:19 AM, medic0506 wrote:
At 9/21/2012 11:41:38 AM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 9/21/2012 11:32:44 AM, medic0506 wrote:
At 9/21/2012 11:26:16 AM, Lordknukle wrote:
To console for the inevitability of death.

Then why would we add in all this morality stuff that would obviously stop us from doing things that humans naturally want, like premarital sex, etc.?? Why not just stick to God existing and taking us to Heaven, and everyone gets to go??

Because no matter what, nobody can be 100% certain that God exists and and that time, they didn't want to "ruin" their lives. Basically, to keep control.

So is it to ease the transition, or control the masses?? Make up your mind.

False dichotomy. It's both.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
medic0506
Posts: 13,450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 12:13:41 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/21/2012 12:09:16 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 9/21/2012 11:55:19 AM, medic0506 wrote:
At 9/21/2012 11:41:38 AM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 9/21/2012 11:32:44 AM, medic0506 wrote:
At 9/21/2012 11:26:16 AM, Lordknukle wrote:
To console for the inevitability of death.

Then why would we add in all this morality stuff that would obviously stop us from doing things that humans naturally want, like premarital sex, etc.?? Why not just stick to God existing and taking us to Heaven, and everyone gets to go??

Because no matter what, nobody can be 100% certain that God exists and and that time, they didn't want to "ruin" their lives. Basically, to keep control.

So is it to ease the transition, or control the masses?? Make up your mind.

False dichotomy. It's both.

Ok Mr. Answerman...lol
Archistrategos
Posts: 602
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 12:58:20 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
What if it's a positive trichotomy? Based on truth, and to ease transition, and used to divide and control....
THEBOMB
Posts: 2,872
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 2:37:38 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
some religions do not assert god's existence or non-existence (Confucianism, Jainism, Buddhism, etc.) So Medic, you are wrong. If god does not exist in your world view, you cannot worship god. Many people assert that religion justifies tyranny, but what about peaceful religions? They would say any violence cannever be justified. Aka any religion that follows the law of ahisma. Other people say that it is to be hopefully for death, but what about those religions that do not concern themselves with the afterlife (confucianism is one example)? You cannot be correct in that regard. The only correct answer is from Mouthwash, the truth. Every single religion, no matter which one you examine wishes to learn the truth about the cosmos. Any other answer, even about God and morality, is completely wrong.
THEBOMB
Posts: 2,872
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 2:44:00 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/21/2012 2:42:20 PM, yoda878 wrote:
To open up the soul, or to bring the soul out.

A generic answer to a generic question.

Not all religion's deal themselves with the afterlife.
imabench
Posts: 21,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 2:48:28 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I see religion as a combination of trying to explain how the world works to the best they can using the knowledge at hand, to teach proper morals to people to live good lives, and to help people cope with death by rewarding those who do live their life by good morals.

I think that fits into every major religion from Christianity to Buddhism but if im wrong just let me know and Ill tweak it.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
THEBOMB
Posts: 2,872
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 2:51:45 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/21/2012 2:48:28 PM, imabench wrote:
I see religion as a combination of trying to explain how the world works to the best they can using the knowledge at hand,

In other words, I do not know, therefore god. Argument from ignorance. Religions seeks the truth, which people cannot know.

to teach proper morals to people to live good lives,

Atheists can be moral. Atheism is not a religion.

and to help people cope with death by rewarding those who do live their life by good morals.

Not every religion concerns themselves with death. Confucianism is one example.


I think that fits into every major religion from Christianity to Buddhism but if im wrong just let me know and Ill tweak it.

I was not just talking about every major religion. I was talking about EVERY religion, whether active or inactive, major or minor.
yoda878
Posts: 902
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 2:52:22 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/21/2012 2:44:00 PM, THEBOMB wrote:
At 9/21/2012 2:42:20 PM, yoda878 wrote:
To open up the soul, or to bring the soul out.

A generic answer to a generic question.

Not all religion's deal themselves with the afterlife.

Name some that don't believe in afterlife or reincarnation, besides atheist or likewise?
Me
Paradox_7
Posts: 1,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 2:55:23 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/21/2012 11:18:50 AM, THEBOMB wrote:
I'm just curious, what does everyone here think the purpose of religion is? Not any one specific religion such as Christianity, but religion in general.


Therapy, behavior modification (like a long list of chores..lol).

Religion is mostly a good thing gone bad. Why? because people got involved..
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
THEBOMB
Posts: 2,872
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 3:01:36 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/21/2012 2:52:22 PM, yoda878 wrote:
At 9/21/2012 2:44:00 PM, THEBOMB wrote:
At 9/21/2012 2:42:20 PM, yoda878 wrote:
To open up the soul, or to bring the soul out.

A generic answer to a generic question.

Not all religion's deal themselves with the afterlife.

Name some that don't believe in afterlife or reincarnation, besides atheist or likewise?

Confucianism, sikhism (holy scriptures don't dweal on death), deism.
medic0506
Posts: 13,450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 3:01:59 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/21/2012 2:37:38 PM, THEBOMB wrote:
some religions do not assert god's existence or non-existence (Confucianism, Jainism, Buddhism, etc.) So Medic, you are wrong. If god does not exist in your world view, you cannot worship god. Many people assert that religion justifies tyranny, but what about peaceful religions? They would say any violence cannever be justified. Aka any religion that follows the law of ahisma. Other people say that it is to be hopefully for death, but what about those religions that do not concern themselves with the afterlife (confucianism is one example)? You cannot be correct in that regard. The only correct answer is from Mouthwash, the truth. Every single religion, no matter which one you examine wishes to learn the truth about the cosmos. Any other answer, even about God and morality, is completely wrong.

I'm not wrong. God is the truth in my religion so there is no search for truth, we already have it. You can make whatever answer you want the right one but your answer makes no sense to those religions who already believe they have the truth.
THEBOMB
Posts: 2,872
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 3:02:07 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/21/2012 2:55:23 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:
At 9/21/2012 11:18:50 AM, THEBOMB wrote:
I'm just curious, what does everyone here think the purpose of religion is? Not any one specific religion such as Christianity, but religion in general.


Therapy, behavior modification (like a long list of chores..lol).

Religion is mostly a good thing gone bad. Why? because people got involved..

I don't think many jains or buddhists believe in that.
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 3:04:33 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
It helps if we remember that a majority of "religions" took the form of hunter gatherers worshipping animals spirits and agricultural societies with religions focused on cycles of sacrifice leading to new crops.
imabench
Posts: 21,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 3:06:23 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/21/2012 2:51:45 PM, THEBOMB wrote:
At 9/21/2012 2:48:28 PM, imabench wrote:
I see religion as a combination of trying to explain how the world works to the best they can using the knowledge at hand,

In other words, I do not know, therefore god. Argument from ignorance. Religions seeks the truth, which people cannot know.

Just because they seek truth and do a sh*tty job of presenting it doesnt mean they arent trying though.

to teach proper morals to people to live good lives,

Atheists can be moral. Atheism is not a religion.

I didnt say you need religion to be moral, but its still true that religions try to teach people morality

and to help people cope with death by rewarding those who do live their life by good morals.

Not every religion concerns themselves with death. Confucianism is one example.

Fair enough, ill take that part out then

I think that fits into every major religion from Christianity to Buddhism but if im wrong just let me know and Ill tweak it.

I was not just talking about every major religion. I was talking about EVERY religion, whether active or inactive, major or minor.

Fine Ill amend that one too.

I see all religions as a combination of trying to explain how the world works to the best they can using the knowledge at hand, to teach proper morals to people to live good lives, and most of them also go on to try to help people cope with death by claiming that those who live good moral lives will be rewarded in some way.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
THEBOMB
Posts: 2,872
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 3:06:24 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/21/2012 3:01:59 PM, medic0506 wrote:
At 9/21/2012 2:37:38 PM, THEBOMB wrote:
some religions do not assert god's existence or non-existence (Confucianism, Jainism, Buddhism, etc.) So Medic, you are wrong. If god does not exist in your world view, you cannot worship god. Many people assert that religion justifies tyranny, but what about peaceful religions? They would say any violence cannever be justified. Aka any religion that follows the law of ahisma. Other people say that it is to be hopefully for death, but what about those religions that do not concern themselves with the afterlife (confucianism is one example)? You cannot be correct in that regard. The only correct answer is from Mouthwash, the truth. Every single religion, no matter which one you examine wishes to learn the truth about the cosmos. Any other answer, even about God and morality, is completely wrong.

I'm not wrong.

You are.

God is the truth in my religion

You're Christian. God has the truth (divine law). Something you cannot know. All you can do is theorize. About that truth.

so there is no search for truth, we already have it.

What is divine law then?

You can make whatever answer you want the right one but your answer makes no sense to those religions who already believe they have the truth.

Every religion wants to find that truth. It's not that difficult of a concept. Even if you believe you have the truth (which even in your own world view is a fallacious statement because you cannot know divine law...), all that is doing is backing up my argument. I argue religion is the path to truth, you argue that your religion has found the truth, or is looking for that truth. How exactly does that contradict my statement?
THEBOMB
Posts: 2,872
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 3:08:19 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/21/2012 3:06:23 PM, imabench wrote:
At 9/21/2012 2:51:45 PM, THEBOMB wrote:
At 9/21/2012 2:48:28 PM, imabench wrote:
I see religion as a combination of trying to explain how the world works to the best they can using the knowledge at hand,

In other words, I do not know, therefore god. Argument from ignorance. Religions seeks the truth, which people cannot know.

Just because they seek truth and do a sh*tty job of presenting it doesnt mean they arent trying though.

True.


to teach proper morals to people to live good lives,

Atheists can be moral. Atheism is not a religion.

I didnt say you need religion to be moral, but its still true that religions try to teach people morality

Religion does not try to teach morality, almost every religion is trying to develop that morality that is within you.


and to help people cope with death by rewarding those who do live their life by good morals.

Not every religion concerns themselves with death. Confucianism is one example.

Fair enough, ill take that part out then

I think that fits into every major religion from Christianity to Buddhism but if im wrong just let me know and Ill tweak it.

I was not just talking about every major religion. I was talking about EVERY religion, whether active or inactive, major or minor.

Fine Ill amend that one too.

I see all religions as a combination of trying to explain how the world works to the best they can using the knowledge at hand, to teach proper morals to people to live good lives, and most of them also go on to try to help people cope with death by claiming that those who live good moral lives will be rewarded in some way.

In other words....the truth :P
THEBOMB
Posts: 2,872
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 3:10:33 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/21/2012 3:04:33 PM, Wnope wrote:
It helps if we remember that a majority of "religions" took the form of hunter gatherers worshipping animals spirits and agricultural societies with religions focused on cycles of sacrifice leading to new crops.

So?