Jump to topic:

Anti-Islam Film Causes Violent Protests

chrumbelievable
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 11:38:23 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
A recent Anti-Islam movie created by a California filmmaker, and available on YouTube, has created increased hostility and revolt throughout the Muslim World. Violent, mostly anti-American protests continue to break out in Libya, Egypt, Pakistan and other places, with numerous innocent people losing their lives in the process.

Is this violence an appropriate response? Voice your opinion in one of today's featured topics: http://www.debate.org...
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 11:49:16 AM
At 9/21/2012 11:38:23 AM, chrumbelievable wrote:
A recent Anti-Islam movie created by a California filmmaker, and available on YouTube, has created increased hostility and revolt throughout the Muslim World. Violent, mostly anti-American protests continue to break out in Libya, Egypt, Pakistan and other places, with numerous innocent people losing their lives in the process.

Is this violence an appropriate response? Voice your opinion in one of today's featured topics: http://www.debate.org...

See, this is just what I expect from leftists. They don't seem to understand that conservatives or people with sincere religious beliefs usually don't approve of mass murder and arson, so they ask other people their opinion and say "See? Violence is wrong no matter what!" as if any regular people actually approve of it...
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 11:57:49 AM
Of course it isn't an appropriate response. They are violent extremists and are going to find a reason to be violent no matter whether the film exists or not.
chrumbelievable
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 12:00:39 PM
At 9/21/2012 11:58:40 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
You're smarter than that, Chrum!

This is great! Post this in the "Opinions" section!!!!!!!
chrumbelievable
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 12:01:14 PM
At 9/21/2012 11:49:16 AM, MouthWash wrote:

See, this is just what I expect from leftists. They don't seem to understand that conservatives or people with sincere religious beliefs usually don't approve of mass murder and arson, so they ask other people their opinion and say "See? Violence is wrong no matter what!" as if any regular people actually approve of it...

...What?
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 12:14:21 PM
At 9/21/2012 12:01:14 PM, chrumbelievable wrote:

...What?

Who do you possibly think would vote yes to this? Were you expecting people to?
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
chrumbelievable
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 1:25:42 PM
At 9/21/2012 12:14:21 PM, MouthWash wrote:
At 9/21/2012 12:01:14 PM, chrumbelievable wrote:

...What?

Who do you possibly think would vote yes to this? Were you expecting people to?

Well, you never really know what to expect from the users on this site. Obviously I would hope no one would say yes, but that's just me. Anywho, I'm just trying to spark a discussion re: the topic at hand.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 1:25:50 PM
This is old news now, and no it's not an appropriate response. However, I don't think it was solely triggered by the movie. The movie was just something that pushed them over the edge. I think in general they're tired of the west intervening in their countries, particularly when people in the west are then going and being disrespectful like this. People seem to forget that in islamic countries religion still plays a very prominent role unlike here in the west.
Archistrategos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 1:35:19 PM
At 9/21/2012 1:25:50 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
This is old news now, and no it's not an appropriate response. However, I don't think it was solely triggered by the movie. The movie was just something that pushed them over the edge. I think in general they're tired of the west intervening in their countries, particularly when people in the west are then going and being disrespectful like this. People seem to forget that in islamic countries religion still plays a very prominent role unlike here in the west.

Some people are looking to throw rocks...and some hornets are just itching for the opportunity to sting.
Archistrategos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 1:37:46 PM
At 9/21/2012 1:35:19 PM, Archistrategos wrote:
At 9/21/2012 1:25:50 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

Some people are looking to throw rocks...and some hornets are just itching for the opportunity to sting.

And curse the one that brings both to the picnic!!!
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 1:54:30 PM
Imagine people not killing others because of an arbitrary film made thousands of miles away that gives them an excuse to exercise their violent religion.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Archistrategos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 1:58:03 PM
At 9/21/2012 1:54:30 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

Imagine people not killing others because of an arbitrary film made thousands of miles away that gives them an excuse to exercise their violent religion.

Agent provocateurs abound....and the predisposed to provocation are parading...
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 2:06:26 PM
At 9/21/2012 1:58:03 PM, Archistrategos wrote:

Blabber...nonsensical blabber.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Clash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 2:29:20 PM

No, I don't think this violence is an appropriate response at all. It is probably this kind of a response the one behind this ignorant, irrational and false Anti-Islam movie wanted. Muslims should not use this opportunity to kill people or to destroy things. Rather, we Muslims should use this opportunity to tell the world who prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him) really was, and invite them to his message. Dr. Wael Shihab, PhD in Islamic Studies from Al-Azhar University and the Head of the Sharia Department of Onislam.net website, nicely states:

'It is unfortunate that some biased anti-Islam individuals and movements are stirring up hatred against Islam and Muslims in every possible way. The recent anti-Prophet film is a single manifestation of a series of unfair and illegal attacks against Islam and Muslims. It aims at tarnishing the image of Islam and spoiling the relations between Muslims and peoples of the world.

In reaction to such biased and illegal attacks, Muslims must think deeply before acting emotionally and erratically. For overreacting to such campaigns will only make things worse. Overreacting includes using other than the lawful, peaceful means. Resorting to violence should never be an option.

Meanwhile, in keeping with the spirit of the Qur"anic teaching to, "repel evil with what is better," (41:34), it is the duty of Muslims to prove to the world that Islam means peace. They could hold peaceful protests to show their valid objection to the biased film against Islam and the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him. Muslim and Arab states should make use of all possible diplomatic means to stop offences against Islam and Muslims.

It goes without saying that Muslims are definitely NOT allowed to attack embassies or to react with violence. Attacking diplomatic missions or embassies are illegal in the Sharia and all world conventions. Moreover, it is not Islamically justified to attack public or private properties for some individuals" wrongdoings.

Given the above, I believe that the best course of action for Muslims in the current situation is:

1. To show their valid and legal objection to offending Islam, Prophet Muhammad and Muslims through legal and diplomatic channels.

2. To introduce the Prophet Muhammad as a role model in the modern world.

3. To avoid hurling insults against the people of other religions as a result of producing such a provocative film against the Prophet, as Allah Almighty says:

'Revile not those unto whom they pray beside Allah lest they wrongfully revile Allah through ignorance. Thus unto every nation have We made their deed seem fair. Then unto their Lord is their return, and He will tell them what they used to do.' (Surah Al-An"am 6:108)

4. To use all legal channels to stop this campaign of hatred against Islam and Muslims.

5. Finally, not to react emotionally, but to follow the decisions of the responsible leading scholars in their communities. We must always be disciplined, peaceful, and organized in our approaches to such crucial issues.'

http://www.faithinallah.org...
Archistrategos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 2:53:15 PM
At 9/21/2012 2:06:26 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 9/21/2012 1:58:03 PM, Archistrategos wrote:

Blabber...nonsensical blabber.

You repeat yourself often don't you? Your lack of understanding me says nothing about me and everything about you.

You can't imagine that it might be instigated on both sides?
Are you not entertained?
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 3:25:15 PM
At 9/21/2012 3:20:20 PM, Mirza wrote:
their violent religion.
Mayday, Mayday! We need a forum for trolling!

Nearly all religions-especially the mainstream ones- are violent and/or promote violence to some degree. Saying anything to the contrary is just disingenuous.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 3:28:17 PM
At 9/21/2012 3:25:15 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Nearly all religions-especially the mainstream ones- are violent and/or promote violence to some degree.
Really Ma'am? I thought they were all pacifist and forbade violence even if the usage thereof would be much better for humankind.

Saying anything to the contrary is just disingenuous.
I don't recall saying anything to the contrary. Do you?
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 3:51:09 PM

Then it would still be violent killers killing for non-religious reasons, but you'd be ok with that right, lil Adolph??
DeFool
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 4:23:09 PM
The movie, called, "The Innocence of Muslims" was criticizing murder and bigotry.

Because it was "so stupid," and, "extremist," and, "bigoted."

As if Islam was any less bigoted. I note, with amusement, that the purpose of these filmakers was to portray Muslims as violent extremists. They failed to present their case as well as the Muslims themselves... Who immediately lived up to their worst stereotypes.
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 4:23:14 PM
I can't believe the movie is still on Youtube, wouldn't you think they could have it removed as a matter of national security.

They pulled that Canadian psycho killers video off as soon as they realized what he had done, how can this movie still be there?
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 4:29:00 PM
At 9/21/2012 4:23:14 PM, Sidewalker wrote:
I can't believe the movie is still on Youtube, wouldn't you think they could have it removed as a matter of national security.

They pulled that Canadian psycho killers video off as soon as they realized what he had done, how can this movie still be there?

because the man has the right to express his opinions, and no one in their right mind legitimately believes that that video was the driving force of the blood shed. These people are violent criminals with violent intentions, we will not acknowledge their trivial scapegoats.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 4:37:17 PM
At 9/21/2012 4:29:00 PM, 000ike wrote:

because the man has the right to express his opinions, and no one in their right mind legitimately believes that that video was the driving force of the blood shed. These people are violent criminals with violent intentions, we will not acknowledge their trivial scapegoats.

No doubt the protests are politically motivated, but the cowardly pr!cks that are stirring it up use this video to enrage the local population so they can hide behind it, the film needs to be removed.

This isn't about free speech, you can yell fire in a crowded movie theater either.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 4:59:27 PM
At 9/21/2012 4:37:17 PM, Sidewalker wrote:
At 9/21/2012 4:29:00 PM, 000ike wrote:

No doubt the protests are politically motivated, but the cowardly pr!cks that are stirring it up use this video to enrage the local population so they can hide behind it, the film needs to be removed.

This isn't about free speech, you can yell fire in a crowded movie theater either.

I considered that example but ultimately reject it. You can't yell fire in a crowed movie theater because panic, havoc, and danger are predictable and reasonable responses.

Mobbing, burning down embassies, and murdering diplomats is not a predictable or reasonable response to a sacrilegious video made by a random person with a poor budget on youtube.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 5:06:22 PM
You can't just attribute all the protests to some obscure crappy video. We have to look at what predisposes to many people to be hostile like this. Hint, it might have something to do with drone killing innocent civilians, overthrowing governments, and establishing and supporting authoritarian governments. But whatevs it seems easier just to say "oh ma gawd Muslims are crazy!"
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 5:23:56 PM
At 9/21/2012 5:06:22 PM, socialpinko wrote:
You can't just attribute all the protests to some obscure crappy video. We have to look at what predisposes to many people to be hostile like this. Hint, it might have something to do with drone killing innocent civilians, overthrowing governments, and establishing and supporting authoritarian governments. But whatevs it seems easier just to say "oh ma gawd Muslims are crazy!"

Honestly, I think the video was stragetically released to make it not look like that is why muslims are rioting. There's a US election coming up and the US continues to have interests in the middle east so certainly they needed some way to justify remaining there? I'm no conspiritard, but really the evidence points to this. Like why did nobody in America know of the video's existence until very recently and why are all the details surrounding its origins so sketchy?
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 5:57:00 PM
At 9/21/2012 3:28:17 PM, Mirza wrote:
Nearly all religions-especially the mainstream ones- are violent and/or promote violence to some degree.
Really Ma'am? I thought they were all pacifist and forbade violence even if the usage thereof would be much better for humankind.

Oh yes, because stoning the gays is definitely violence which is for the better of mankind.

You dissented that Islam was violent.
MattDescopa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 6:11:08 PM
At 9/21/2012 5:57:00 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 9/21/2012 3:28:17 PM, Mirza wrote:

Oh yes, because stoning the gays is definitely violence which is for the better of mankind.

I wouldn't support stoning homosexuals, since it wouldn't be really inefficient and would cost labor.

You dissented that Islam was violent.

At least he's not a racist!

---------------------------------------------

The Muslims are justified in their protest. Most Christians would support a harsh punishment on people who criticize christianity so why double standards for Muslims.
DeFool
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 7:48:04 PM
The reaction of the Islamic community to any offence renders the lot of them pussilanimous twats.

Should the film ever be removed from YouTube, I shall re-post in on a blog. I have also, I should mention, burned Qurans and bibles. I am certain to do do again. I make blasphemy a daily habit.

Inspired as I am by these rampaging Muslims.