Total Posts:18|Showing Posts:1-18
Jump to topic:

Question for the Religious

Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 11:57:48 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Is there any reason other than fear/superstition to believe in any version of an afterlife?
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Archistrategos
Posts: 602
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 12:09:08 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/21/2012 11:57:48 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Is there any reason other than fear/superstition to believe in any version of an afterlife?

My own NDE proved it too me.....not to mention the great deal of research I've put into NDE's

And then my solving the Theory of Everything pretty much sealed the deal ;)
Archistrategos
Posts: 602
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 12:17:13 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/21/2012 12:11:24 PM, medic0506 wrote:
lol...given the bias already built into your question, what kind of answers do you expect to recieve??

He'll get two main kinds, reactionary answers, and answers that step right over it.
yoda878
Posts: 902
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 12:18:46 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
IDK should we ask the many people that have turned their life around when they became religious? Hummm... Many people have claimed that when they found God they turned their life around. Drug addicts have said God helped them stop doing drugs, whether you think its mere mind over matter, (i disagree with that) It seems to be that their are many reasons to be religious.
Me
ScottyDouglas
Posts: 2,350
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 12:20:36 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/21/2012 12:18:46 PM, yoda878 wrote:
IDK should we ask the many people that have turned their life around when they became religious? Hummm... Many people have claimed that when they found God they turned their life around. Drug addicts have said God helped them stop doing drugs, whether you think its mere mind over matter, (i disagree with that) It seems to be that their are many reasons to be religious.
TheAsylum
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 1:10:30 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/21/2012 12:18:46 PM, yoda878 wrote:
IDK should we ask the many people that have turned their life around when they became religious? Hummm... Many people have claimed that when they found God they turned their life around. Drug addicts have said God helped them stop doing drugs, whether you think its mere mind over matter, (i disagree with that) It seems to be that their are many reasons to be religious.

Not the question I was asking... I was asking why would someone believe in a version of an afterlife?
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Archistrategos
Posts: 602
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 1:12:17 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/21/2012 1:10:30 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
At 9/21/2012 12:18:46 PM, yoda878 wrote:
IDK should we ask the many people that have turned their life around when they became religious? Hummm... Many people have claimed that when they found God they turned their life around. Drug addicts have said God helped them stop doing drugs, whether you think its mere mind over matter, (i disagree with that) It seems to be that their are many reasons to be religious.

Not the question I was asking... I was asking why would someone believe in a version of an afterlife?

Have you done any NDE research?
THEBOMB
Posts: 2,872
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 2:47:38 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/21/2012 11:57:48 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Is there any reason other than fear/superstition to believe in any version of an afterlife?

Yes.
One_Winged_Rook
Posts: 4
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 3:48:56 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Justice...

If one is to believe that there is Justice, that Justice is something that is A Priori (not something that I believe, but some people may believe this)... maybe I shouldn't even say Justice.. maybe karma is more like... If people that Karma is a real thing... then there must be an afterlife for which we receive reward and punishment for our actions on earth.

If for all the good that we do, we MUST be rewarded in someway and for all Evil that we place upon the world, it will come back to us.... certainly that hasn't happened to everyone in their earthly bodies (not everyone gets their reward or their punishment here)

Therefore, there must be an afterlife

If not, then Justice/Karma isn't real , just something we've made up... thus negating my premise

Not saying I agree with it, but I think it is an argument for believing in an afterlife that isn't based on fear/superstition
Three Cheers for a Thousand Years!
yoda878
Posts: 902
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 3:57:00 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/21/2012 11:57:48 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Is there any reason other than fear/superstition to believe in any version of an afterlife?

Because it can shape how you live your life here, not always out of fear but out of faith, and with faith brings happiness.
Me
ScottyDouglas
Posts: 2,350
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 4:01:22 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/21/2012 1:10:30 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

Not the question I was asking... I was asking why would someone believe in a version of an afterlife?

Simple, because God said there was.
TheAsylum
Archistrategos
Posts: 602
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 4:19:11 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/21/2012 4:01:22 PM, ScottyDouglas wrote:
At 9/21/2012 1:10:30 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

Not the question I was asking... I was asking why would someone believe in a version of an afterlife?

Simple, because God said there was.

Man...the burden of proof with you is light! *chuckle*
Archistrategos
Posts: 602
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 4:25:50 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/21/2012 4:21:22 PM, FREEDO wrote:
There's no reason to believe in anything beyond this moment.

I have a strong hunch based on previous moments...so far tomorrow keeps happening....so far.
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 10:45:27 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/21/2012 4:21:22 PM, FREEDO wrote:
There's no reason to believe in anything beyond this moment.

You need to compile a list of these sayings. I don't care if they are true or not, they make me think.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2012 2:54:03 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/21/2012 11:57:48 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Is there any reason other than fear/superstition to believe in any version of an afterlife?

Obviously not. That's why people had to create the god concept in the first place.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Sidewalker
Posts: 3,713
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2012 8:38:20 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/21/2012 11:57:48 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Is there any reason other than fear/superstition to believe in any version of an afterlife?

There is no direct evidence against belief in an afterlife and many argue that while the evidence for it may not be conclusive, it provides a preponderance of supporting evidence in favor of such belief. Some of the arguments in favor of belief in an afterlife that do not presume the "fear/superstition" of the typical trolling manner of stating the question follow:

The word "emergent" is not an explanatory word, it is a descriptive word, and the law of cause and effect says that nothing can exist that did not always exist in some extremely attenuated way. The very existence of consciousness then, makes an argument for dualism and by its very nature, dualism makes consciousness independent of materiality. The 1st law of thermodynamics says that anything in existence must be conserved, so many believe that it logically follows that consciousness can continue after bodily death.

The realm of parapsychology provides many with evidence in favor of belief in an afterlife, telepathy, precognition, possessions, reincarnation experiences, past life memories, apparitions, and purported phenomena such as mediums contacting the dead to reveal information they could not have known, provide many people with strong evidence for a belief in an afterlife.

While the existence of ESP can cut both ways, for many it strengthens the case for belief in existence because it challenges the naturalistic view of consciousness.
Near death experiences have been shown to include content that cannot have been explained by a physically altered brain state providing a wide range of evidentiary support in favor of the existence of consciousness in a transcendent realm that can continue after death of the physical body.

There is an evolutionary argument that the high level of consciousness we have attained supersedes biological need and is therefore not necessary to provide an evolutionary advantage. It follows that the conscious mind is too advanced if it only ends upon death and therefore supports a belief that it transcends the death of the material body. It is consequently reasoned that we have reached such an advanced state of consciousness and are self conscious and aware of our own mortality because we do not cease to exist upon bodily death.

Quantum physics can provide evidentiary support because of the explicit implication that conscious observation is inherently necessary for the collapse of the wave function. So it follows that matter cannot exist without a conscious observer and because life and consciousness temporally came into existence on this earth and therefore consciousness must be independent of matter and can continue to exist beyond physical death.

It can be logically argued that if existence is not everlasting, it makes existence pointless in the first place, and it follows that there is a necessary existence beyond the death of the physical body.

There is also an argument from evil, morality and/or the concept of Karma. It is reasoned that if there is no afterlife then there is no realm in which injustice can be remedied, and the problem of evil becomes logically irreconcilable.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater