Total Posts:47|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

To all: What would be your defiition of God?

Archistrategos
Posts: 602
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 1:45:37 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
To one and all, religionists and especially atheists whole rail against the religious notions of God.

Take a journey in your imagination....and if you could put forth criteria to be met by God, what would God have to measure up to?

Be bold. Would not a God worthy of being called a God want you to use your reason and gifts of both mind and heart to come to a workable understanding?

So have an exploration illuminated by your greatest imagining and your heart of hearts assertions about what Life is. =)

We are com-petitors....ones who take a walk with each other.
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 2:03:31 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Well, let's see, my conception of God...

...hmm...

...well, foremost, I don't consider God simply a displacement of everything I can't conceive or the greatest that I can imagine. Not at all. I think God is more a general consciousness present in all things that we're personally aware of. That is to say, if we were to make contact with life-supporting planet in another solar system, we may see a completely different... personality present in everything that manifests physically and interacts there.

I think that would make our understanding of (and relationship with) God so much stronger, rather than dissillusion the conception of God altogether. It would make God so much more distinct.

It's pretty clear to me that life and matter on this planet -- in fact, this planet itself -- has a given personality present in all things about it. I think the simplest way to exemplify this is by appearance. There is a given way that things appear here... it's so distinct, that it's actually fairly easy to imagine things that violate this appearance... our conception of aliens or cartoons are two excellent examples. Indeed, there is nothing making the existence of these things impossible; they simply don't exist, because they don't fit the rubric applied to all things that do exist as we know it on this planet. There are even things that appear eccentric -- those organisms that seem to only loosely abide by this preconception of reality -- which further reinforces the claim. An example could be a platypus. A curious animal, there was a great deal of time that it appeared to supercede our understanding of biology. Still, it remains an exception to most of the rules we've deduced about life on this planet.

God is present in all these things; or, more accurately, his artistic style and personality is. However, this isn't to say that any specific entity physically manufactured these things. Instead, it means that the given consciousness that we acknowlege in all living things, ourselves included, is really a manifestation of this Godhead, which is unique to our specific arrangement, and immutable from it. We can personally communicate with this consciousnesses, although we are a part of it, and return to it fully once we no longer have our own consciousness to appeal to.

Religion is one way of, perhaps, better understanding or interacting with this overall consciousness, but that isn't to say that reach it is impossible through the sciences, or that the sciences don't evidence God in any way. As part of our general observation about all things, God is still a mysterious aspect that we're attempting to accomodate in our general understanding, but which doesn't apply on such a microcosmic level so distinctly that (he/it, really) can be isolated and studied in and of (his/it)self.

When it is all said and done, we can never acknowlege God, and even deny him our entire lives, and it wouldn't make a bit of a difference. However, he will exist within us nonetheless and color every picture we draw of our realities.
Archistrategos
Posts: 602
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 2:46:46 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/21/2012 2:03:31 PM, Ren wrote:
Well, let's see, my conception of God...

...hmm...

...well, foremost, I don't consider God simply a displacement of everything I can't conceive or the greatest that I can imagine. Not at all. I think God is more a general consciousness present in all things that we're personally aware of. That is to say, if we were to make contact with life-supporting planet in another solar system, we may see a completely different... personality present in everything that manifests physically and interacts there.

I think that would make our understanding of (and relationship with) God so much stronger, rather than dissillusion the conception of God altogether. It would make God so much more distinct.

It's pretty clear to me that life and matter on this planet -- in fact, this planet itself -- has a given personality present in all things about it. I think the simplest way to exemplify this is by appearance. There is a given way that things appear here... it's so distinct, that it's actually fairly easy to imagine things that violate this appearance... our conception of aliens or cartoons are two excellent examples. Indeed, there is nothing making the existence of these things impossible; they simply don't exist, because they don't fit the rubric applied to all things that do exist as we know it on this planet. There are even things that appear eccentric -- those organisms that seem to only loosely abide by this preconception of reality -- which further reinforces the claim. An example could be a platypus. A curious animal, there was a great deal of time that it appeared to supercede our understanding of biology. Still, it remains an exception to most of the rules we've deduced about life on this planet.

True that...and the personality has gone through some changes! Dinosaurs...6 foot wing span dragonfly's....spiders as big as a black lab. Seems the atmospheric pressure was a lot greater back then yes?
God is present in all these things; or, more accurately, his artistic style and personality is. However, this isn't to say that any specific entity physically manufactured these things. Instead, it means that the given consciousness that we acknowlege in all living things, ourselves included, is really a manifestation of this Godhead, which is unique to our specific arrangement, and immutable from it. We can personally communicate with this consciousnesses, although we are a part of it, and return to it fully once we no longer have our own consciousness to appeal to.

If our consciousness is immersed in God's consciousness...how can we ever lose consciousness?
Religion is one way of, perhaps, better understanding or interacting with this overall consciousness, but that isn't to say that reach it is impossible through the sciences, or that the sciences don't evidence God in any way. As part of our general observation about all things, God is still a mysterious aspect that we're attempting to accomodate in our general understanding, but which doesn't apply on such a microcosmic level so distinctly that (he/it, really) can be isolated and studied in and of (his/it)self.

Personaly I think they are looking in the wrong direction....but I suppose it gives them purpose to count the pebbles on the Mountain *chuckle*
When it is all said and done, we can never acknowlege God, and even deny him our entire lives, and it wouldn't make a bit of a difference. However, he will exist within us nonetheless and color every picture we draw of our realities.

What a beautiful and well thought out answer! Thank you so much for the gold you have spun with your mind, we are all wealthier for it =)
Archistrategos
Posts: 602
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 4:01:45 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/21/2012 3:20:19 PM, THEBOMB wrote:
By defining god you limit god.

So in your imagining The God that Is, has no qualities that can be descried?

Nothing that can be called Divine?

The God of no attributes?

You only limit a laser beam if you put something in front of it....even so....it still points in a direction.
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 7:14:30 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
My God =

The impersonal, amoral, powerful, conscious creator of the universe.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
THEBOMB
Posts: 2,872
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 10:36:08 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/21/2012 4:01:45 PM, Archistrategos wrote:
At 9/21/2012 3:20:19 PM, THEBOMB wrote:
By defining god you limit god.

So in your imagining The God that Is, has no qualities that can be descried?

Yep. The actual god, should he exist, cannot be described.


Nothing that can be called Divine?

What does divine mean?


The God of no attributes?

Attributes are human terms. They cannot fulfill the standard needed to define god.


You only limit a laser beam if you put something in front of it....even so....it still points in a direction.

Defining god "put[s] something in front of it." How do you know that the laser points in a direction? Also, comparing god to a laser is rather...well unintelligible. You can see and describe a laser. By describing a laser, you limit it's potentiality to what is there, you limit it so you can have meaningful discourse about the laser. The same goes for god, you limit god so you can have meaningful discourse about god, but defining god limits god.
THEBOMB
Posts: 2,872
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 10:36:35 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/21/2012 10:24:01 PM, stubs wrote:
The greatest conceivable being

Isn't what is the greatest different from one person to another?
Archistrategos
Posts: 602
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2012 12:32:38 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/21/2012 7:14:30 PM, phantom wrote:
My God =

The impersonal, amoral, powerful, conscious creator of the universe.

How can the Creator be amoral when the Creator creates Morality as a nature of The God pattering the universe?
Composer
Posts: 5,858
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2012 4:49:01 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
According to so called xtianities preferred Story book the correct definition of the Story book god is a child spiritually raping narcissistic bastard that dumps its little bastard on to another man and refuses to marry the child it made pregnant!, that drowned children and had others murdered but only interfered to spare its own bastard child, hates amputees, speaks self-contradicting BS and tells lies!

That's just a few examples of the true Story book biblical god, accurately defined according to so called xtianities preferred Story book!!

Next!
Veridas
Posts: 733
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2012 5:09:11 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I figure there are two possibilities for god.

The first is god as he is described emotionally in holy texts. Benevolent almost to the point of being creepy, and unsure how we as lesser creatures will percieve the morality (or lack thereof) of his actions, assuming he even knows how to fix a problem, he's sure as hell gonna try despite occasionally committing genocide by accident.

Thw second if god as he is described potentially in holy texts. Creator of the universe, infinite power. Arguably the reason behind many of the laws of physics and thermodynamics.

Why can't god be both?

because I never once commanded ants to worship me, and I'm sure nobody else hs either.
What fresh dickery is the internet up to today?
Archistrategos
Posts: 602
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2012 1:09:40 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/22/2012 4:49:01 AM, Composer wrote:
According to so called xtianities preferred Story book the correct definition of the Story book god is a child spiritually raping narcissistic bastard that dumps its little bastard on to another man and refuses to marry the child it made pregnant!, that drowned children and had others murdered but only interfered to spare its own bastard child, hates amputees, speaks self-contradicting BS and tells lies!

That's just a few examples of the true Story book biblical god, accurately defined according to so called xtianities preferred Story book!!

Next!
You have no original ideas do you? Next!
Archistrategos
Posts: 602
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2012 1:11:32 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/22/2012 5:09:11 AM, Veridas wrote:
I figure there are two possibilities for god.

The first is god as he is described emotionally in holy texts. Benevolent almost to the point of being creepy, and unsure how we as lesser creatures will percieve the morality (or lack thereof) of his actions, assuming he even knows how to fix a problem, he's sure as hell gonna try despite occasionally committing genocide by accident.

Thw second if god as he is described potentially in holy texts. Creator of the universe, infinite power. Arguably the reason behind many of the laws of physics and thermodynamics.

Why can't god be both?

because I never once commanded ants to worship me, and I'm sure nobody else hs either.

I can show you that.
Archistrategos
Posts: 602
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2012 1:39:48 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/21/2012 10:24:01 PM, stubs wrote:
The greatest conceivable being

So God is a thought of man???

How about the greatest Being that conceives! ;)
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2012 1:56:29 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/22/2012 12:32:38 AM, Archistrategos wrote:
At 9/21/2012 7:14:30 PM, phantom wrote:
My God =

The impersonal, amoral, powerful, conscious creator of the universe.

How can the Creator be amoral when the Creator creates Morality as a nature of The God pattering the universe?

Morality is a human construct.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
DeFool
Posts: 626
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2012 2:05:42 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
As there are no gods, I suppose a necessary condition would be that these aliens exist - as something other than literary figures and justifications for murder and child rape.

Once they existed, then I suppose that I would hate them passionately - since I am everywhere opposed to murder and child rape, the favorite pastimes of all the most modern gods.

Perhaps I am being hasty. Kim Jong Il was a god who did actually exist. He served mankind as the Dear Leader of North Korea for a time. Alas, his divine wisdom was rejected by humanity, despite his many murders and rapes.
Archistrategos
Posts: 602
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2012 2:18:47 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/22/2012 1:56:29 PM, phantom wrote:
At 9/22/2012 12:32:38 AM, Archistrategos wrote:
At 9/21/2012 7:14:30 PM, phantom wrote:
My God =

The impersonal, amoral, powerful, conscious creator of the universe.

How can the Creator be amoral when the Creator creates Morality as a nature of The God pattering the universe?

Morality is a human construct.

Try saying that at your panoramic life review after you are loosed from the physical body.

Best to be as moral and integral as one can....goodness is good =)
Archistrategos
Posts: 602
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2012 2:28:31 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/22/2012 2:05:42 PM, DeFool wrote:
As there are no gods, I suppose a necessary condition would be that these aliens exist - as something other than literary figures and justifications for murder and child rape.

Once they existed, then I suppose that I would hate them passionately - since I am everywhere opposed to murder and child rape, the favorite pastimes of all the most modern gods.

Perhaps I am being hasty. Kim Jong Il was a god who did actually exist. He served mankind as the Dear Leader of North Korea for a time. Alas, his divine wisdom was rejected by humanity, despite his many murders and rapes.

God is One, all other conceptions by man are just that...thoughts about the One God.

Kim Jong Ill? That is the extent of your imagining? Sad dude, real sad. Or do your just like to get ridiculous sometimes? It's okay, so do I ;)
DeFool
Posts: 626
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2012 2:32:14 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/22/2012 2:28:31 PM, Archistrategos wrote:
At 9/22/2012 2:05:42 PM, DeFool wrote:
As there are no gods, I suppose a necessary condition would be that these aliens exist - as something other than literary figures and justifications for murder and child rape.

Once they existed, then I suppose that I would hate them passionately - since I am everywhere opposed to murder and child rape, the favorite pastimes of all the most modern gods.

Perhaps I am being hasty. Kim Jong Il was a god who did actually exist. He served mankind as the Dear Leader of North Korea for a time. Alas, his divine wisdom was rejected by humanity, despite his many murders and rapes.

God is One, all other conceptions by man are just that...thoughts about the One God.

Kim Jong Ill? That is the extent of your imagining? Sad dude, real sad. Or do your just like to get ridiculous sometimes? It's okay, so do I ;)
Kim Jong Il was so a god.... He even said so. That's proof.

"God is real."
"How do you know?"
"Because the bible says so."
"How do you know that what the bible says is so?"
"Because it is the word of god."
DeFool
Posts: 626
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2012 2:36:30 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
"I have a billion dollars in my pocket."
"That's great! But, why don't you spend it?"

"I believe that I will go to heaven when I die."
"That's great! So why don't you die?"

The answer to these two questions: you don't really believe what you say you believe.

It is impossible to truly believe in heaven, and stay alive.
Archistrategos
Posts: 602
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2012 3:14:32 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/22/2012 2:32:14 PM, DeFool wrote:
Kim Jong Il was so a god.... He even said so. That's proof.

"God is real."
"How do you know?"
"Because the bible says so."
"How do you know that what the bible says is so?"
"Because it is the word of god."

How do I know? Because I have directly experienced the reality of God, and I could only take that Omnipresent Interpenetrating Consciousness for about 3 minutes before God had to leave or risk destroying me.

Just so you know, I come from a very different place of being. I don't believe in God, I have living faith and I follow it and I am changed so that Man and Truth may exist as One.
Veridas
Posts: 733
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2012 3:59:26 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/22/2012 1:11:32 PM, Archistrategos wrote:
At 9/22/2012 5:09:11 AM, Veridas wrote:
I figure there are two possibilities for god.

The first is god as he is described emotionally in holy texts. Benevolent almost to the point of being creepy, and unsure how we as lesser creatures will percieve the morality (or lack thereof) of his actions, assuming he even knows how to fix a problem, he's sure as hell gonna try despite occasionally committing genocide by accident.

Thw second if god as he is described potentially in holy texts. Creator of the universe, infinite power. Arguably the reason behind many of the laws of physics and thermodynamics.

Why can't god be both?

because I never once commanded ants to worship me, and I'm sure nobody else hs either.

I can show you that.

I'm sure.
What fresh dickery is the internet up to today?
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2012 6:32:10 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/22/2012 2:18:47 PM, Archistrategos wrote:
At 9/22/2012 1:56:29 PM, phantom wrote:
At 9/22/2012 12:32:38 AM, Archistrategos wrote:
At 9/21/2012 7:14:30 PM, phantom wrote:
My God =

The impersonal, amoral, powerful, conscious creator of the universe.

How can the Creator be amoral when the Creator creates Morality as a nature of The God pattering the universe?

Morality is a human construct.

Try saying that at your panoramic life review after you are loosed from the physical body.

Ok

Best to be as moral and integral as one can....goodness is good =)

I agree.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Chicken
Posts: 1,296
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2012 10:25:51 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
God- The bucket of 12 breasts and thighs covered in 11 herbs and spices sitting on my table. (Kfc)
Disciple of Koopin
Right Hand Chicken of the Grand Poobah DDO Vice President FREEDO

Servant of Kfc
Composer
Posts: 5,858
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2012 10:44:04 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/22/2012 3:14:32 PM, Archistrategos wrote:
How do I know? Because I have directly experienced the reality of God, and I could only take that Omnipresent Interpenetrating Consciousness for about 3 minutes before God had to leave or risk destroying me.

Me Composer the ongoing successful Cult buster: Shucks! I successfully destroyed those like you in the twinkling of an eye already!

I am obviously a superior experience and at least a literal one for a change, LOL!
THEBOMB
Posts: 2,872
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2012 10:44:54 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/22/2012 10:44:04 PM, Composer wrote:
At 9/22/2012 3:14:32 PM, Archistrategos wrote:
How do I know? Because I have directly experienced the reality of God, and I could only take that Omnipresent Interpenetrating Consciousness for about 3 minutes before God had to leave or risk destroying me.

Me Composer the ongoing successful Cult buster: Shucks! I successfully destroyed those like you in the twinkling of an eye already!

I am obviously a superior experience and at least a literal one for a change, LOL!

Composer does not exist, therefore he does not exist.
Archistrategos
Posts: 602
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2012 2:41:19 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/22/2012 10:44:04 PM, Composer wrote:
At 9/22/2012 3:14:32 PM, Archistrategos wrote:
How do I know? Because I have directly experienced the reality of God, and I could only take that Omnipresent Interpenetrating Consciousness for about 3 minutes before God had to leave or risk destroying me.

Me Composer the ongoing successful Cult buster: Shucks! I successfully destroyed those like you in the twinkling of an eye already!

I am obviously a superior experience and at least a literal one for a change, LOL!

Test me Composer and you will find the fathomless flood of an ocean and the inescapable fires of a star.

You are obviously a mote of dust blowing here and there, signifying nothing.
Sidewalker
Posts: 3,713
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2012 5:53:03 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/22/2012 4:49:01 AM, Composer wrote:
According to so called xtianities preferred Story book the correct definition of the Story book god is a child spiritually raping narcissistic bastard that dumps its little bastard on to another man and refuses to marry the child it made pregnant!, that drowned children and had others murdered but only interfered to spare its own bastard child, hates amputees, speaks self-contradicting BS and tells lies!

That's just a few examples of the true Story book biblical god, accurately defined according to so called xtianities preferred Story book!!

Next!

It's always amazing to see what passes for "clever" in an immature and small mind.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater