Total Posts:67|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Biblical Prophecies

ScottyDouglas
Posts: 2,350
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2012 8:08:10 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
One thing science and claimed discripancies can not overcome is amazingly accurate Biblical prophecies! These are actually but a few. There are many, many more!

Biblical Prophecies Fulfilled, Being Fulfilled & Yet to come

(1) Exile & return of Jews

Bible passage: Amos 9:14-15/Ezekiel 37:14;21/Isaiah 66:8/Jeremiah 16:14-15/Ezekiel 34:13/Jeremiah 31:10/Deuteronomy 30:3-4/ Isaiah 49:15-16 /Leviticus 26:44/Jeremiah 32:37/Leviticus 26:32-33/ Isaiah 11:11-12/Zechariah 12:3-6

Amos 9:14 And I will bring again the captivity of my people of Israel, and they shall build the waste cities, and inhabit them; and they shall plant vineyards, and drink the wine thereof; they shall also make gardens, and eat the fruit of them. 15 And I will plant them upon their land, and they shall no more be pulled up out of their land which I have given them, saith the LORD thy God.

Ezekiel 37:14 And shall put my spirit in you, and ye shall live, and I shall place you in your own land: then shall ye know that I the LORD have spoken it, and performed it, saith the LORD.

Isaiah 66:8 Who hath heard such a thing? who hath seen such things? Shall the earth be made to bring forth in one day? or shall a nation be born at once? for as soon as Zion travailed, she brought forth her children.

Ezekiel 37:21 And say unto them, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, I will take the children of Israel from among the heathen, whither they be gone, and will gather them on every side, and bring them into their own land:

Jeremiah 14:14 Then the LORD said unto me, The prophets prophesy lies in my name: I sent them not, neither have I commanded them, neither spake unto them: they prophesy unto you a false vision and divination, and a thing of nought, and the deceit of their heart. 15 Therefore thus saith the LORD concerning the prophets that prophesy in my name, and I sent them not, yet they say, Sword and famine shall not be in this land; By sword and famine shall those prophets be consumed.

Ezekiel 34:13 And I will bring them out from the people, and gather them from the countries, and will bring them to their own land, and feed them upon the mountains of Israel by the rivers, and in all the inhabited places of the country.

Jeremiah 31:10 Hear the word of the LORD, O ye nations, and declare it in the isles afar off, and say, He that scattered Israel will gather him, and keep him, as a shepherd doth his flock.

Deuteronomy 30:3 That then the LORD thy God will turn thy captivity, and have compassion upon thee, and will return and gather thee from all the nations, whither the LORD thy God hath scattered thee. 4 If any of thine be driven out unto the outmost parts of heaven, from thence will the LORD thy God gather thee, and from thence will he fetch thee:

Isaiah 49:15 Can a woman forget her sucking child, that she should not have compassion on the son of her womb? yea, they may forget, yet will I not forget thee. 16 Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands; thy walls are continually before me.

Leviticus 26:44 And yet for all that, when they be in the land of their enemies, I will not cast them away, neither will I abhor them, to destroy them utterly, and to break my covenant with them: for I am the LORD their God.

Jeremiah 32:37 Behold, I will gather them out of all countries, whither I have driven them in mine anger, and in my fury, and in great wrath; and I will bring them again unto this place, and I will cause them to dwell safely:

Leviticus 26:32 And I will bring the land into desolation: and your enemies which dwell therein shall be astonished at it. 33 And I will scatter you among the heathen, and will draw out a sword after you: and your land shall be desolate, and your cities waste.

Isaiah 11:11 And it shall come to pass in that day, that the Lord shall set his hand again the second time to recover the remnant of his people, which shall be left, from Assyria, and from Egypt, and from Pathros, and from Cush, and from Elam, and from Shinar, and from Hamath, and from the islands of the sea. 12 And he shall set up an ensign for the nations, and shall assemble the outcasts of Israel, and gather together the dispersed of Judah from the four corners of the earth.

Zechariah 12:3 And in that day will I make Jerusalem a burdensome stone for all people: all that burden themselves with it shall be cut in pieces, though all the people of the earth be gathered together against it. 4 In that day, saith the LORD, I will smite every horse with astonishment, and his rider with madness: and I will open mine eyes upon the house of Judah, and will smite every horse of the people with blindness. 5 And the governors of Judah shall say in their heart, The inhabitants of Jerusalem shall be my strength in the LORD of hosts their God. 6 In that day will I make the governors of Judah like an hearth of fire among the wood, and like a torch of fire in a sheaf; and they shall devour all the people round about, on the right hand and on the left: and Jerusalem shall be inhabited again in her own place, even in Jerusalem.

All Fulfilled

(2) Destruction of the Temple

Matthew 24:1-2/Mark 13:2/Luke 21:6

Matthew 24:1 And Jesus went out, and departed from the temple: and his disciples came to him to show him the buildings of the temple. 2 And Jesus said to them, See ye not all these things? verily I say to you, There shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down.

Mark 13:2 And Jesus answering said to him, Seest thou these great buildings? there shall not be left one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down.

Luke 21:6 As for these things which ye behold, the days will come, in the which there shall not be left one stone upon another, that shall be thrown down.

Fulfilled
TheAsylum
ScottyDouglas
Posts: 2,350
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2012 8:11:32 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
(3) End time prophecies

Matthew 24:6-12;24/Luke 21:11

Matthew 24:6 And ye will hear of wars, and rumors of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet. 7 For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there will be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes in divers places. 8 All these are the beginning of sorrows. 9 Then will they deliver you up to be afflicted, and will kill you: and ye will be hated of all nations for my name's sake. 10 And then will many be offended, and will betray one another, and will hate one another. 11 And many false prophets will rise, and will deceive many. 12 And because iniquity will abound, the love of many will become cold.

Matthew 24:24 For false Christs will arise, and false prophets, and will show great signs and wonders; so that, if it were possible, they would deceive the very elect.

Luke 21:11 And great earthquakes shall be in divers places, and famines, and pestilences; and fearful sights and great signs shall there be from heaven.

Being fulfilled

(Matthew 24:32/Mark 13:13;22/2 Petet 2:1-2/ 1 TIM. 4:1-3)

Matthew 24:32 Now learn a parable of the fig-tree; When its branch is yet tender and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh: 33 So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at at the doors. 34 Verily I say to you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things shall be fulfilled.

Mark 13:13 And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that shall endure to the end, the same shall be saved.

Mark 13:22 For false Christs and false prophets shall rise, and shall show signs and wonders, to seduce, if it were possible, even the elect.

2 Peter 2:1 But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction. 2 And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of.

1 Timothy 4:1 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of demons; 2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron; 3 Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.

Fulfilled and still being fulfilled

(4) Return of days of Noah

Matthew 24: 37-39/Mark 13:24-26/Luke 17:26

Matthew 24:37 But as the days of Noah were, so will also the coming of the Son of man be. 38 For as in the days that were before the flood, they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noah entered into the ark, 39 And knew not until the flood came, and took them all away: so also will be the coming of the Son of man.

Mark 13:24 But in those days, after that tribulation, the sun shall be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, 25 And the stars of heaven shall fall, and the powers that are in heaven shall be shaken. 26 And then shall they see the Son of man coming in the clouds with great power and glory.

Luke 17:26 And as it was in the days of Noe, so shall it be also in the days of the Son of man.

To be fulfilled

(5) Gospel to all nations of the world

Mark 13:10

Mark 13:10 And the gospel must first be published among all nations.
Fulfilled

(6) Nuclear weapons

Zechariah 14:12

Zechariah 14:12 And this shall be the plague wherewith the LORD will smite all the people that have fought against Jerusalem; Their flesh shall consume away while they stand upon their feet, and their eyes shall consume away in their holes, and their tongue shall consume away in their mouth.

Fulfilled and to be fulfilled still

(7) Israel kingless

Hosea 3:4-5

Hosea 3:4 For the children of Israel shall abide many days without a king, and without a prince, and without a sacrifice, and without an image, and without an ephod, and without teraphim: 5 Afterward shall the children of Israel return, and seek the LORD their God, and David their king; and shall fear the LORD and his goodness in the latter days.

Fulfilled still

(8) Blossming of Israel from waste

Isaiah 27:6; 35:1/Ezekiel 36:34-36/Joel 3:18/Amos 9:13/Isaiah 41:18-19

Isaiah 27:6 He shall cause them that come of Jacob to take root: Israel shall blossom and bud, and fill the face of the world with fruit.

Isaiah 35:1 The wilderness and the solitary place shall be glad for them; and the desert shall rejoice, and blossom as the rose.

Ezekiel 36:34 And the desolate land shall be tilled, whereas it lay desolate in the sight of all that passed by. 35 And they shall say, This land that was desolate is become like the garden of Eden; and the waste and desolate and ruined cities are become fenced, and are inhabited.

Joel 3:18 And it shall come to pass in that day, that the mountains shall drop down new wine, and the hills shall flow with milk, and all the rivers of Judah shall flow with waters, and a fountain shall come forth of the house of the LORD, and shall water the valley of Shittim.

Amos 9:13 Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that the plowman shall overtake the reaper, and the treader of grapes him that soweth seed; and the mountains shall drop sweet wine, and all the hills shall melt.

Isaiah 41:18 I will open rivers in high places, and fountains in the midst of the valleys: I will make the wilderness a pool of water, and the dry land springs of water. 19 I will plant in the wilderness the cedar, the shittah tree, and the myrtle, and the oil tree; I will set in the desert the fir tree, and the pine, and the box tree together:

Has been fulfilled

(24) The Hebrew language would be restored

Zephaniah 3:9

Zephaniah 3:9 For then will I turn to the people a pure language, that they may all call upon the name of the LORD, to serve him with one consent.

(25) Homosexuality would be flaunted at the end of the age

Luke 17:28-30/Romans 1:

Luke 17:28 Likewise also as it was in the days of Lot; they did eat, they drank, they bought, they sold, they planted, they builded; 29 But the same day that Lot went out of Sodom it rained fire and brimstone from heaven, and destroyed them all. 30 Even thus shall it be in the day when the Son of man is revealed.

Romans 1:24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonor their own bodies between themselves: 25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshiped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen. 26 For this cause God gave them up to vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: 27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet. 28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;

Fulfilling

(26) The Ethiopian Jews would return to Israel

Zephaniah 3:10-11

Zephaniah 3:10 From beyond the rivers of Ethiopia my suppliants, even the daughter of my dispersed, shall bring mine offering. 11 In that day shalt thou not be ashamed for all thy doings, wherein thou hast transgressed against me: for then I will take away out of the midst of thee them that rejoice in thy pride, and thou shalt no more be haughty because of my holy mountain.

Awaiting to be Fulfilled
TheAsylum
ScottyDouglas
Posts: 2,350
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2012 8:13:00 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
(27) Stress would increase because of selfishness

2 Timothy 3:1-2

2 Timothy 3:1 This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. 2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, 3 Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, 4 Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; 5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.6 For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts, 7 Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.

Fufilling right now

(28) The returning Jews would once again use the ancient shekel for commerce

Ezekiel 45:12; Amos 8:5

Ezekiel 45:12 And the shekel shall be twenty gerahs: twenty shekels, five and twenty shekels, fifteen shekels, shall be your maneh.

Amos 8:5 Saying, When will the new moon be gone, that we may sell corn? and the sabbath, that we may set forth wheat, making the ephah small, and the shekel great, and falsifying the balances by deceit?

Fulfilled

(29) Plans to rebuild the temple in Israel anticipated

Revelation 11:1-2; Matthew 24:15

Revelation 11:1 And there was given me a reed like to a rod: and the angel stood, saying, Rise, and measure the temple of God, and the altar, and them that worship therein. 2 But the court which is without the temple leave out, and measure it not; for it is given to the Gentiles: and the holy city shall they tread under foot forty and two months.

Matthew 24:15 When therefore ye shall see the abomination of desolation spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoever readeth, let him understand,)

Awaiting fulfillment

(30) A red heifer without blemish must be born and sacrificed to purify the temple in Israel

Numbers 19:2

Numbers 19:2 This is the ordinance of the law which the LORD hath commanded, saying, Speak unto the children of Israel, that they bring thee a red heifer without spot, wherein is no blemish, and upon which never came yoke:
Fulfilled after thousands of years

(31) The temple sacrifices would be reinstitued in Israel in the last days

Daniel 9:26-27; Daniel 12:11

Daniel 9:26 And after threescore and two weeks shall Messiah be cut off, but not for himself: and the people of the prince that shall come shall destroy the city and the sanctuary; and the end thereof shall be with a flood, and unto the end of the war desolations are determined. 27 And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate.

Daniel 12:11 And from the time that the daily sacrifice shall be taken away, and the abomination that maketh desolate set up, there shall be a thousand two hundred and ninety days.

Awaiting to be fulfilled

(32) In the last days, Israel would be surrounded by enemy Nations.

Psalm 83:4-12

Psalms 83:4 They have said, Come, and let us cut them off from being a nation; that the name of Israel may be no more in remembrance. 5 For they have consulted together with one consent: they are confederate against thee: 6 The tabernacles of Edom, and the Ishmaelites; of Moab, and the Hagarenes; 7 Gebal, and Ammon, and Amalek; the Philistines with the inhabitants of Tyre; 8 Assur also is joined with them: they have holpen the children of Lot. Selah. 9 Do unto them as unto the Midianites; as to Sisera, as to Jabin, at the brook of Kison: 10 Which perished at Endor: they became as dung for the earth. 11 Make their nobles like Oreb, and like Zeeb: yea, all their princes as Zebah, and as Zalmunna: 12 Who said, Let us take to ourselves the houses of God in possession.

They are and it is fulfilled
TheAsylum
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2012 9:34:52 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
If I can find a Biblical prophecy that failed to be fulfilled, will it count as evidence against the veracity of the Bible?

Or are you using Prophecies in a completely unfalsifiable manner to post hoc claim divine inerrancy while ignoring all failed prophecies as "misread" or "yet to occur?"

Because if that is so, we have absolutely no reason to take your argument as significant.
imabench
Posts: 21,230
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2012 9:37:22 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/23/2012 9:34:52 PM, Wnope wrote:
If I can find a Biblical prophecy that failed to be fulfilled, will it count as evidence against the veracity of the Bible?

http://faithskeptic.50megs.com...

Or are you using Prophecies in a completely unfalsifiable manner to post hoc claim divine inerrancy while ignoring all failed prophecies as "misread" or "yet to occur?"

Because if that is so, we have absolutely no reason to take your argument as significant.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Chicken
Posts: 1,296
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2012 9:38:09 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Atheism 1
Theism -10
Disciple of Koopin
Right Hand Chicken of the Grand Poobah DDO Vice President FREEDO

Servant of Kfc
annanicole
Posts: 19,792
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2012 9:43:46 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
"Matthew 24:6 And ye will hear of wars, and rumors of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet. 7 For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there will be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes in divers places. 8 All these are the beginning of sorrows. 9 Then will they deliver you up to be afflicted, and will kill you: and ye will be hated of all nations for my name's sake. 10 And then will many be offended, and will betray one another, and will hate one another. 11 And many false prophets will rise, and will deceive many. 12 And because iniquity will abound, the love of many will become cold.

Matthew 24:24 For false Christs will arise, and false prophets, and will show great signs and wonders; so that, if it were possible, they would deceive the very elect.

Luke 21:11 And great earthquakes shall be in divers places, and famines, and pestilences; and fearful sights and great signs shall there be from heaven.

Being fulfilled"

^ ^ ^ ^ Already fulfilled

"Mark 13:24 But in those days, after that tribulation, the sun shall be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, 25 And the stars of heaven shall fall, and the powers that are in heaven shall be shaken. 26 And then shall they see the Son of man coming in the clouds with great power and glory."

^ ^ ^ ^ Already fulfilled
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
ScottyDouglas
Posts: 2,350
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2012 9:44:59 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/23/2012 9:34:52 PM, Wnope wrote:
If I can find a Biblical prophecy that failed to be fulfilled, will it count as evidence against the veracity of the Bible?

Failed is not have not happened, only ignorance thinks such. But by all means, have at it!
TheAsylum
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2012 9:45:53 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
The amazing thing about prophecies is that if someone knows about them, they can take their own steps to fulfil them. Israel is a perfect opportunity... I mean, that prophesy was fulfilled BECAUSE it was made.

Also, we have test conditions for so-called psychics... conditions they can never work within.

The day a previously undiscovered prophesy is discovered (think dead sea scrolls) with actual specific prophesies and they've been fulfilled in the time between when the document was lost and when it was rediscovered will be the day I even begin to second guess my belief that the bible is bronze age nonsense.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2012 9:54:20 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/23/2012 9:44:59 PM, ScottyDouglas wrote:
At 9/23/2012 9:34:52 PM, Wnope wrote:
If I can find a Biblical prophecy that failed to be fulfilled, will it count as evidence against the veracity of the Bible?

Failed is not have not happened, only ignorance thinks such. But by all means, have at it!

"Failed is not have not happened?"

I take this to mean "Any prophecy which could be classified as 'failed' simply has yet to happen and therefore does not count as evidence against the Bible."

Thank you, that's exactly the answer I was hoping for.

You've just conceded that your argument is entirely unfalsifiable and post hoc, not even justifiable in an inductive sense. Every example of a prophecy in your OP is useless, since by definition all prophecies have or will have occurred.

This thread has not presented any evidence for the veracity of the Bible that is not directly derived from the presupposition that all prophecies have or will be fulfilled.

No one with any intellectual integrity will accept your standard of evidence other than those who share your presupposition that Biblical prophecies necessarily are true.
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2012 9:55:21 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/23/2012 9:54:20 PM, Wnope wrote:
At 9/23/2012 9:44:59 PM, ScottyDouglas wrote:
At 9/23/2012 9:34:52 PM, Wnope wrote:
If I can find a Biblical prophecy that failed to be fulfilled, will it count as evidence against the veracity of the Bible?

Failed is not have not happened, only ignorance thinks such. But by all means, have at it!

"Failed is not have not happened?"

I take this to mean "Any prophecy which could be classified as 'failed' simply has yet to happen and therefore does not count as evidence against the Bible."

Thank you, that's exactly the answer I was hoping for.

You've just conceded that your argument is entirely unfalsifiable and post hoc, not even justifiable in an inductive sense. Every example of a prophecy in your OP is useless, since by definition all prophecies have or will have occurred.

This thread has not presented any evidence for the veracity of the Bible that is not NECESSARILY derived from the presupposition that all prophecies have or will be fulfilled.

No one with any intellectual integrity will accept your standard of evidence other than those who share your presupposition that Biblical prophecies necessarily are true.
ScottyDouglas
Posts: 2,350
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2012 10:11:29 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/23/2012 9:43:46 PM, annanicole wrote:

"Mark 13:24 But in those days, after that tribulation, the sun shall be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, 25 And the stars of heaven shall fall, and the powers that are in heaven shall be shaken. 26 And then shall they see the Son of man coming in the clouds with great power and glory."

^ ^ ^ ^ Already fulfilled

Really, how many times do you suppose Jesus Christ is coming in clouds, Anna?
TheAsylum
ScottyDouglas
Posts: 2,350
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2012 10:16:00 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/23/2012 9:54:20 PM, Wnope wrote:
At 9/23/2012 9:44:59 PM, ScottyDouglas wrote:
At 9/23/2012 9:34:52 PM, Wnope wrote:
If I can find a Biblical prophecy that failed to be fulfilled, will it count as evidence against the veracity of the Bible?

Failed is not have not happened, only ignorance thinks such. But by all means, have at it!

"Failed is not have not happened?"

I take this to mean "Any prophecy which could be classified as 'failed' simply has yet to happen and therefore does not count as evidence against the Bible."

Thank you, that's exactly the answer I was hoping for.

You've just conceded that your argument is entirely unfalsifiable and post hoc, not even justifiable in an inductive sense. Every example of a prophecy in your OP is useless, since by definition all prophecies have or will have occurred.:
It is completely falsifiable. If you can find one.

This thread has not presented any evidence for the veracity of the Bible that is not directly derived from the presupposition that all prophecies have or will be fulfilled.:
Then why post, Because you want to moan and cry.

No one with any intellectual integrity will accept your standard of evidence other than those who share your presupposition that Biblical prophecies necessarily are true.

Ah, but you also have less intergrity. You can not show none that have not happened. If one has not happened and suppose to the that is fair. But if it is something future then that is not a fair assesment and you very well know that.
TheAsylum
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2012 10:20:19 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/23/2012 9:37:22 PM, imabench wrote:
At 9/23/2012 9:34:52 PM, Wnope wrote:
If I can find a Biblical prophecy that failed to be fulfilled, will it count as evidence against the veracity of the Bible?

http://faithskeptic.50megs.com...

Not that I'm Christian but most of those are quite unconvincing. Some of them are flat out false and just because a prophecy hasn't been fulfilled doesn't mean it won't be. And it kind of refutes itself with the Jonah one. It proves the God of the Bible changes his mind so it makes failed prophecies a little irrelevant.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2012 10:21:04 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/23/2012 9:34:52 PM, Wnope wrote:
If I can find a Biblical prophecy that failed to be fulfilled, will it count as evidence against the veracity of the Bible?

Not really since the God of the Bible likes to changes his mind.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
ScottyDouglas
Posts: 2,350
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2012 10:23:39 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/23/2012 10:21:04 PM, phantom wrote:
At 9/23/2012 9:34:52 PM, Wnope wrote:
If I can find a Biblical prophecy that failed to be fulfilled, will it count as evidence against the veracity of the Bible?

Not really since the God of the Bible likes to changes his mind.

He doesnt change His mind really, He says He will do this if you do this and He say;s I will do that if you do that. More like If you are ba then I will punish you this way but if you stop being bad I will stop my punishment.
TheAsylum
ScottyDouglas
Posts: 2,350
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2012 10:29:00 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/23/2012 9:34:52 PM, Wnope wrote:
If I can find a Biblical prophecy that failed to be fulfilled, will it count as evidence against the veracity of the Bible?

I am fair Wnope, bring one forth. One at a time.
TheAsylum
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2012 10:30:17 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/23/2012 10:23:39 PM, ScottyDouglas wrote:
At 9/23/2012 10:21:04 PM, phantom wrote:
At 9/23/2012 9:34:52 PM, Wnope wrote:
If I can find a Biblical prophecy that failed to be fulfilled, will it count as evidence against the veracity of the Bible?

Not really since the God of the Bible likes to changes his mind.

He doesnt change His mind really, He says He will do this if you do this and He say;s I will do that if you do that. More like If you are ba then I will punish you this way but if you stop being bad I will stop my punishment.

Like when Moses talked him out of wiping out the Israelites?
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
ScottyDouglas
Posts: 2,350
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2012 10:33:29 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/23/2012 10:30:17 PM, phantom wrote:
At 9/23/2012 10:23:39 PM, ScottyDouglas wrote:
At 9/23/2012 10:21:04 PM, phantom wrote:
At 9/23/2012 9:34:52 PM, Wnope wrote:
If I can find a Biblical prophecy that failed to be fulfilled, will it count as evidence against the veracity of the Bible?

Not really since the God of the Bible likes to changes his mind.

He doesnt change His mind really, He says He will do this if you do this and He say;s I will do that if you do that. More like If you are ba then I will punish you this way but if you stop being bad I will stop my punishment.

Like when Moses talked him out of wiping out the Israelites?

It is unlikely that Moses, in his prayer, supplied God with new information. Rather, the prophet's appeal revealed his own heart of compassion.
TheAsylum
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2012 10:40:45 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/23/2012 10:33:29 PM, ScottyDouglas wrote:
At 9/23/2012 10:30:17 PM, phantom wrote:
At 9/23/2012 10:23:39 PM, ScottyDouglas wrote:
At 9/23/2012 10:21:04 PM, phantom wrote:
At 9/23/2012 9:34:52 PM, Wnope wrote:
If I can find a Biblical prophecy that failed to be fulfilled, will it count as evidence against the veracity of the Bible?

Not really since the God of the Bible likes to changes his mind.

He doesnt change His mind really, He says He will do this if you do this and He say;s I will do that if you do that. More like If you are ba then I will punish you this way but if you stop being bad I will stop my punishment.

Like when Moses talked him out of wiping out the Israelites?

It is unlikely that Moses, in his prayer, supplied God with new information. Rather, the prophet's appeal revealed his own heart of compassion.

Yeah...Point is, he changed his mind!
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
annanicole
Posts: 19,792
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2012 10:53:33 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/23/2012 10:11:29 PM, ScottyDouglas wrote:
At 9/23/2012 9:43:46 PM, annanicole wrote:

"Mark 13:24 But in those days, after that tribulation, the sun shall be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, 25 And the stars of heaven shall fall, and the powers that are in heaven shall be shaken. 26 And then shall they see the Son of man coming in the clouds with great power and glory."

^ ^ ^ ^ Already fulfilled

Really, how many times do you suppose Jesus Christ is coming in clouds, Anna?

Figuratively or literally?
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
annanicole
Posts: 19,792
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2012 10:54:44 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I'll return the favor: how many kingdoms of God were prophesied to appear?
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
ScottyDouglas
Posts: 2,350
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2012 11:41:02 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/23/2012 10:53:33 PM, annanicole wrote:
At 9/23/2012 10:11:29 PM, ScottyDouglas wrote:
At 9/23/2012 9:43:46 PM, annanicole wrote:

"Mark 13:24 But in those days, after that tribulation, the sun shall be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, 25 And the stars of heaven shall fall, and the powers that are in heaven shall be shaken. 26 And then shall they see the Son of man coming in the clouds with great power and glory."

^ ^ ^ ^ Already fulfilled

Really, how many times do you suppose Jesus Christ is coming in clouds, Anna?

Figuratively or literally?

LOL, So Jesus Christ is going to figuratively come and wont? LOL, That is like lying.
TheAsylum
ScottyDouglas
Posts: 2,350
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2012 11:41:36 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/23/2012 10:54:44 PM, annanicole wrote:
I'll return the favor: how many kingdoms of God were prophesied to appear?

ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
TheAsylum
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2012 2:03:59 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/23/2012 10:29:00 PM, ScottyDouglas wrote:
At 9/23/2012 9:34:52 PM, Wnope wrote:
If I can find a Biblical prophecy that failed to be fulfilled, will it count as evidence against the veracity of the Bible?

I am fair Wnope, bring one forth. One at a time.

How can I provide one if you JUST conceded that your position is unfalsifiable?

Are you changing your stance?
ScottyDouglas
Posts: 2,350
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2012 2:36:51 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Genesis 26:4 And I will make thy seed to multiply as the stars of heaven, and will give unto thy seed all these countries; and in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed.

Here God tells Isaac that his descendents (Hebrews) will be as numerous as the stars. Considering the number of stars there are in the universe, that would have to be on the order of 1020 Jewish people.

A): Almost every race in this earth has Issac's genes. If we add that to all those who have died, and remember the Bible is spitirual so the dead count there, then His seed literally out numbers stars.

Isaiah 7:14 Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.

Christians say that this verse is a prophecy of Jesus' birth to a virgin. There are a couple problems with this prophecy...First, virgin in this verse is a mistranslation of the Hebrew word "almah", which actually means "young woman". A young woman is not necessarily a virgin. "Bethulah" would have been the correct word to use if the author meant virgin. Second, nowhere in the New Testament is Jesus referred to as Immanuel.

A): Jesus was called many names. Also, who is to say Mary was not a virgin? No one here.

Isaiah 17:1 The burden of Damascus. Behold, Damascus is taken away from being a city, and it shall be a ruinous heap.

Damascus is still inhabited today with over a million people, and hardly a ruinous heap.

A): This again is not fulfilled. It may happen and could happen. The world is still here and Jesus has not come back. This is a iffy at best contradiction.

Isaiah 19:4-5 And the Egyptians will I give over into the hand of a cruel lord; and a fierce king shall rule over them, saith the Lord, the LORD of hosts. And the waters shall fail from the sea, and the river shall be wasted and dried up.

The river mentioned here is the Nile. The Nile is still one of Egypt's greatest natural resource.

A): God did not do this. It is also written that if Egypt turns from their wickedness He wouldn't.

Isaiah 19:18 In that day shall five cities in the land of Egypt speak the language of Canaan, and swear to the LORD of hosts; one shall be called, The city of destruction.
The Canaanite language has never been spoken in Egypt, and is now an extinct.

A): The Canaanites were ran out of there land, those that survived. Most fled to Egypt. It is possible that 5 cities did speak Canaan. You can prove they did or didn't, that was in 7,6,500 BC or older.

Isaiah 52:1 Awake, awake; put on thy strength, O Zion; put on thy beautiful garments, O Jerusalem, the holy city: for henceforth there shall no more come into thee the uncircumcised and the unclean.

There are uncircumcised people living in Jerusalem even today.

A): This is The New Jerusalem from heaven and the whole chapter reflects this.
Ezekiel 29:10-11 Behold, therefore I am against thee, and against thy rivers, and I will make the land of Egypt utterly waste and desolate, from the tower of Syene even unto the border of Ethiopia. No foot of man shall pass through it, nor foot of beast shall pass through it, neither shall it be inhabited forty years.

Never in its long history has Egypt ever been uninhabited for forty years.

A): Again, this was a punishment that God, which is also written, did not do. He said He would not do this if they turn from their wickedness.

Amos 9:15 And I will plant them upon their land, and they shall no more be pulled up out of their land which I have given them, saith the LORD thy God.

Many times, Jews have been pulled up out of their land. The ownership of their land is still being fought for.

A): This is at the end of the OT and this is a end time prophecy. If the Jews lose thier land today, then this would be true.

Jonah 3:4 And Jonah began to enter into the city a day's journey, and he cried, and said, Yet forty days, and Nineveh shall be overthrown.

Nineveh was never overthrown. Why? Because God changed his mind in verse 3:10, despite what Malachi 3:6, Numbers 23:19 and Ezekiel 24:14 says about God never changing his mind.

Jonah 3:10 And God saw their works, that they turned from their evil way; and God repented of the evil, that he had said that he would do unto them; and he did it not.

A): These verses do not say what is implied here. God never said He will never change his mind, in certain cases He says He will not change for that case but not in all cases, ever.

Zechariah 11:12 And I said unto them, If ye think good, give me my price; and if not, forbear. So they weighed for my price thirty pieces of silver.

Christians say that this prophecy is was fulfilled when Judas received 30 pieces of silver for betraying Jesus. Matthew 27:9 recites this verse, but incorrectly credits Jeremiah with the prophecy.

A): Notice that Matthew says that this was "spoken" by Jeremiah the prophet. It does not say that it was written. The currency then was the Danaris and we have no idea if 17 shekels was the same as 30 danaris. This question is linked twice.
TheAsylum
ScottyDouglas
Posts: 2,350
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2012 2:38:25 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Matthew 1:22-23 Now all this was done, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying, Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.

Again, Jesus is never referred to as Emmanuel (Immanuel).

A): There are many names given to Jesus using the phrase "He shall be called," both in the Old and New Testaments. This was a common way of saying that people would refer to Him in these various ways. Isaiah prophesied of the Messiah, "His name shall be called Wonderful, Counselor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace" Yes, Jesus was God and He was with them.

Matthew 2:23 And he came and dwelt in a city called Nazareth: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophets, He shall be called a Nazarene.
Nowhere in the Old Testament is such a prophecy found, so how could such a one be fulfilled?

A): There many ways to reconcile this. One, there is the Nazarite, which is mentioned quite alot in the OT. Also, that the of Nazareth was a village called something else in the OT which is mentioned. Also, because the toen know before Jesus birth by Nazareth was mentioned in other NT passages as negative and that surely a prophet could not come from there.

Matthew 12:5 Or have ye not read in the law, how that on the sabbath days the priests in the temple profane the sabbath, and are blameless?

There is no passage in the Old Testament that can be attributed to what Jesus is saying here.

A): Ezekiel 22:26 Her priests have violated my law, and have profaned mine holy things: they have put no difference between the holy and profane, neither have they shewed difference between the unclean and the clean, and have hid their eyes from my sabbaths, and I am profaned among them.

Matthew 24:34 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.

Jesus states that all the signs marking the end of the world in Matthew 24 would be fulfilled before his generation ended. That generation ended 2000 years ago, and the world has not come to an end, neither has all those signs been fulfilled.

A): All these things have not passed. Bad example, almost dishonest.

Matthew 27:9 Then was fulfilled that which was spoken by Jeremy the prophet, saying, And they took the thirty pieces of silver, the price of him that was valued, whom they of the children of Israel did value.

This prophecy was never spoken by Jeremiah.

A): And Jeremiah wrote, "The word of the LORD came to me, saying, 7. "Behold, Hanamel the son of Shallum your uncle will come to you, saying, "Buy my field which is in Anathoth, for the right of redemption is yours to buy it."" 8. Then Hanamel my uncle"s son came to me in the court of the prison according to the word of the LORD, and said to me, "Please buy my field that is in Anathoth, which is in the country of Benjamin; for the right of inheritance is yours, and the redemption yours; buy it for yourself." Then I knew that this was the word of the LORD. 9. So I bought the field from Hanamel, the son of my uncle who was in Anathoth, and weighed out to him the money"seventeen shekels of silver.
Notice that Matthew says that this was "spoken" by Jeremiah the prophet. It does not say that it was written. The currency then was the Danaris and we have no idea if 17 shekels was the same as 30 danaris.

Matthew 26:64 Jesus saith unto him, Thou hast said: nevertheless I say unto you, Hereafter shall ye see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven.

Jesus tells the high priest that he would see his second coming. The high priest is long dead, and Jesus hasn't returned yet.
Throughout the New Testament, the end of the world is prophesied as being very near, at hand, to be witnessed by those living at the time. Paul often told the people he preached to that they would be witnesses to Jesus' second coming. They are all long gone.

A): Is the world still here? I thought so. Also, Jesus says hereafter, this would normally mean after the end of the world when judged!
TheAsylum
ScottyDouglas
Posts: 2,350
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2012 2:43:42 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/24/2012 2:03:59 AM, Wnope wrote:
At 9/23/2012 10:29:00 PM, ScottyDouglas wrote:
At 9/23/2012 9:34:52 PM, Wnope wrote:
If I can find a Biblical prophecy that failed to be fulfilled, will it count as evidence against the veracity of the Bible?

I am fair Wnope, bring one forth. One at a time.

How can I provide one if you JUST conceded that your position is unfalsifiable?

Are you changing your stance?

If it is fair and not a ridiculous claim.
TheAsylum
Archistrategos
Posts: 602
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2012 2:47:00 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/24/2012 2:36:51 AM, ScottyDouglas wrote:
Genesis 26:4 And I will make thy seed to multiply as the stars of heaven, and will give unto thy seed all these countries; and in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed.

Here God tells Isaac that his descendents (Hebrews) will be as numerous as the stars. Considering the number of stars there are in the universe, that would have to be on the order of 1020 Jewish people.

A): Almost every race in this earth has Issac's genes. If we add that to all those who have died, and remember the Bible is spitirual so the dead count there, then His seed literally out numbers stars.

You are joking right??? You have to be joking...i mean you have GOT to be joking...right?

The observable universe contains between 10^22 and 10^24 stars (between 10 sextillion and 1 septillion stars......that's 100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 stars IN JUST THE OBSERVABLE UNIVERSE!!!

An estimate of the total number of humans who have ever lived totals approximately 106 billion....that's 106,000,000,000 humans EVER.

Please tell me you were joking...