Total Posts:49|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Lets play a game..

Rational_Thinker9119
Posts: 9,054
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2012 3:45:16 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Theists, if you could only use one argument to try and convert an agnostic to theism, what would it be? How would you support it? Whichever theist convinces me the most, will win my friendship, an online hug, and mailed cookie (I'm kind of a big deal, so the idea of being my friend and getting an online hug from me should get you stoked, and my cookies are the bomb).

Thanks guys!
imabench
Posts: 21,228
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2012 3:48:57 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/26/2012 3:45:16 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
Theists, if you could only use one argument to try and convert an agnostic to theism, what would it be? How would you support it? Whichever theist convinces me the most, will win my friendship, an online hug, and mailed cookie (I'm kind of a big deal, so the idea of being my friend and getting an online hug from me should get you stoked, and my cookies are the bomb).

Thanks guys!

Convert to Theism or you will never see your mother, who I kidnapped, ever again.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
imabench
Posts: 21,228
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2012 3:50:02 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/26/2012 3:48:57 PM, imabench wrote:
At 9/26/2012 3:45:16 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
Theists, if you could only use one argument to try and convert an agnostic to theism, what would it be? How would you support it? Whichever theist convinces me the most, will win my friendship, an online hug, and mailed cookie (I'm kind of a big deal, so the idea of being my friend and getting an online hug from me should get you stoked, and my cookies are the bomb).

Thanks guys!

Convert to Theism or you will never see your mother, who I kidnapped, ever again.

NO I GOT A BETTER IDEA

Convert to Theism and I will kill Justin Bieber and Nicki Minaj for you

^ Impossible to turn down
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Ruckmanite
Posts: 289
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2012 3:50:54 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/26/2012 3:45:16 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
Theists, if you could only use one argument to try and convert an agnostic to theism, what would it be? How would you support it? Whichever theist convinces me the most, will win my friendship, an online hug, and mailed cookie (I'm kind of a big deal, so the idea of being my friend and getting an online hug from me should get you stoked, and my cookies are the bomb).


Thanks guys!

Here is one:
http://carm.org......

Here is another:
Why do people do good things when there is no benefit for them unless there was a Creator that gave them a conscience. For example, why would someone give up there seat on a bus for an old lady? Or why would someone donate blood, assuming its not for a relative and they arent promised free ice cream or something? or why would a man jump into a river to save a little girl and he knows he will drown in the process.
Let your words be the genuine picture of your heart- John Wesley
Money is a horrid thing to follow, but a charming thing to meet-Henry James
Rational_Thinker9119
Posts: 9,054
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2012 4:00:36 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/26/2012 3:50:54 PM, Ruckmanite wrote:
At 9/26/2012 3:45:16 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
Theists, if you could only use one argument to try and convert an agnostic to theism, what would it be? How would you support it? Whichever theist convinces me the most, will win my friendship, an online hug, and mailed cookie (I'm kind of a big deal, so the idea of being my friend and getting an online hug from me should get you stoked, and my cookies are the bomb).


Thanks guys!

Here is one:
http://carm.org......

Here is another:
Why do people do good things when there is no benefit for them unless there was a Creator that gave them a conscience. For example, why would someone give up there seat on a bus for an old lady? Or why would someone donate blood, assuming its not for a relative and they arent promised free ice cream or something? or why would a man jump into a river to save a little girl and he knows he will drown in the process.

I already addressed this in the "what if your wrong?" thread...
Rational_Thinker9119
Posts: 9,054
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2012 4:03:03 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/26/2012 3:50:02 PM, imabench wrote:
At 9/26/2012 3:48:57 PM, imabench wrote:
At 9/26/2012 3:45:16 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
Theists, if you could only use one argument to try and convert an agnostic to theism, what would it be? How would you support it? Whichever theist convinces me the most, will win my friendship, an online hug, and mailed cookie (I'm kind of a big deal, so the idea of being my friend and getting an online hug from me should get you stoked, and my cookies are the bomb).

Thanks guys!

Convert to Theism or you will never see your mother, who I kidnapped, ever again.

NO I GOT A BETTER IDEA

Convert to Theism and I will kill Justin Bieber and Nicki Minaj for you

^ Impossible to turn down

So far, this is the most convincing argument hands down. If I join your church, will you take care of Lady Gaga as well?
Paradox_7
Posts: 1,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2012 4:12:10 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
There is no way to convince anyone to be a Christian.

Every person resists the truth of God, and every person wishes to either:

A) have a God they like, or
B) be their own God.

The only possibility of a man coming to the truth, is by 'irresistable grace'.

Preaching of the Gospel is the means God's uses to give sight to the blind; give life to the dead. If the Gospel does not 'convince' you, then there is nothing anyone can say that would.

If you are opposed to such a notion, then it is likely determined for you to reject it, and the truth is actively hidden from you.

Romans 11
7 What then? What the people of Israel sought so earnestly they did not obtain. The elect among them did, but the others were hardened, 8 as it is written:

"God gave them a spirit of stupor,
eyes that could not see
and ears that could not hear,
to this very day."
9 And David says:

"May their table become a snare and a trap,
a stumbling block and a retribution for them.
10 May their eyes be darkened so they cannot see,
and their backs be bent forever."
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
Paradox_7
Posts: 1,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2012 4:13:12 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/26/2012 4:03:03 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 9/26/2012 3:50:02 PM, imabench wrote:
At 9/26/2012 3:48:57 PM, imabench wrote:
At 9/26/2012 3:45:16 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
Theists, if you could only use one argument to try and convert an agnostic to theism, what would it be? How would you support it? Whichever theist convinces me the most, will win my friendship, an online hug, and mailed cookie (I'm kind of a big deal, so the idea of being my friend and getting an online hug from me should get you stoked, and my cookies are the bomb).

Thanks guys!

Convert to Theism or you will never see your mother, who I kidnapped, ever again.

NO I GOT A BETTER IDEA

Convert to Theism and I will kill Justin Bieber and Nicki Minaj for you

^ Impossible to turn down

So far, this is the most convincing argument hands down. If I join your church, will you take care of Lady Gaga as well?


Lmao.. I never thought I could be tempted in such a way!!
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
imabench
Posts: 21,228
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2012 4:32:04 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/26/2012 4:03:03 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 9/26/2012 3:50:02 PM, imabench wrote:
At 9/26/2012 3:48:57 PM, imabench wrote:
At 9/26/2012 3:45:16 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
Theists, if you could only use one argument to try and convert an agnostic to theism, what would it be? How would you support it? Whichever theist convinces me the most, will win my friendship, an online hug, and mailed cookie (I'm kind of a big deal, so the idea of being my friend and getting an online hug from me should get you stoked, and my cookies are the bomb).

Thanks guys!

Convert to Theism or you will never see your mother, who I kidnapped, ever again.

NO I GOT A BETTER IDEA

Convert to Theism and I will kill Justin Bieber and Nicki Minaj for you

^ Impossible to turn down

So far, this is the most convincing argument hands down. If I join your church, will you take care of Lady Gaga as well?

She would get a trial with the death penalty as a possible option.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
stubs
Posts: 1,887
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2012 4:35:56 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I would talk about the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ. However, in my personal experience, I've never seen someone converted to theism through a philosophical argument nor looking at the historical evidence. While those may contribute to the process, it is ultimately not those things which convinces people.
THEBOMB
Posts: 2,872
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2012 4:51:36 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/26/2012 3:45:16 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
Theists, if you could only use one argument to try and convert an agnostic to theism, what would it be? How would you support it? Whichever theist convinces me the most, will win my friendship, an online hug, and mailed cookie (I'm kind of a big deal, so the idea of being my friend and getting an online hug from me should get you stoked, and my cookies are the bomb).

*growl* nobody shall be eating me!
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2012 4:53:49 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/26/2012 3:50:54 PM, Ruckmanite wrote:
At 9/26/2012 3:45:16 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
Theists, if you could only use one argument to try and convert an agnostic to theism, what would it be? How would you support it? Whichever theist convinces me the most, will win my friendship, an online hug, and mailed cookie (I'm kind of a big deal, so the idea of being my friend and getting an online hug from me should get you stoked, and my cookies are the bomb).


Thanks guys!

Here is one:
http://carm.org......

Here is another:
Why do people do good things when there is no benefit for them unless there was a Creator that gave them a conscience. For example, why would someone give up there seat on a bus for an old lady? Or why would someone donate blood, assuming its not for a relative and they arent promised free ice cream or something? or why would a man jump into a river to save a little girl and he knows he will drown in the process.

This is the stupidest fvcking sh!t that I have ever heard in the religion forum that was not from Scottydouglas. Please time travel 19 years ago and abort yourself to spare humanity from your dumbfvckery.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
THEBOMB
Posts: 2,872
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2012 4:59:17 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/26/2012 3:50:54 PM, Ruckmanite wrote:
At 9/26/2012 3:45:16 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
Theists, if you could only use one argument to try and convert an agnostic to theism, what would it be? How would you support it? Whichever theist convinces me the most, will win my friendship, an online hug, and mailed cookie (I'm kind of a big deal, so the idea of being my friend and getting an online hug from me should get you stoked, and my cookies are the bomb).


Thanks guys!

Here is one:
http://carm.org......

Here is another:
Why do people do good things when there is no benefit for them unless there was a Creator that gave them a conscience.

Erm...I don't know? Perhaps they want to? Or maybe people dying in a hospital would make them feel bad? Or maybe even because society taught them that doing good things is a good thing...

For example, why would someone give up there seat on a bus for an old lady?

Society.

Or why would someone donate blood, assuming its not for a relative and they arent promised free ice cream or something?

Because generally people don't like to see other people die. Generally, we are not sociopaths.

or why would a man jump into a river to save a little girl and he knows he will drown in the process.

He wouldn't. If he died, he wouldn't save the little girl....
Rational_Thinker9119
Posts: 9,054
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2012 5:01:25 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/26/2012 4:35:56 PM, stubs wrote:
I would talk about the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ. However, in my personal experience, I've never seen someone converted to theism through a philosophical argument nor looking at the historical evidence. While those may contribute to the process, it is ultimately not those things which convinces people.

What else could possibly convert people then, if not for some form of argumentation?
THEBOMB
Posts: 2,872
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2012 5:04:12 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/26/2012 5:01:25 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 9/26/2012 4:35:56 PM, stubs wrote:
I would talk about the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ. However, in my personal experience, I've never seen someone converted to theism through a philosophical argument nor looking at the historical evidence. While those may contribute to the process, it is ultimately not those things which convinces people.

What else could possibly convert people then, if not for some form of argumentation?

Well...during the Inquisition, torture was a primary mean of conversion.
Rational_Thinker9119
Posts: 9,054
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2012 5:05:22 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/26/2012 5:04:12 PM, THEBOMB wrote:
At 9/26/2012 5:01:25 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 9/26/2012 4:35:56 PM, stubs wrote:
I would talk about the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ. However, in my personal experience, I've never seen someone converted to theism through a philosophical argument nor looking at the historical evidence. While those may contribute to the process, it is ultimately not those things which convinces people.

What else could possibly convert people then, if not for some form of argumentation?

Well...during the Inquisition, torture was a primary mean of conversion.

Lol Fair enough.
stubs
Posts: 1,887
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2012 5:08:47 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/26/2012 5:01:25 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:

What else could possibly convert people then, if not for some form of argumentation?

Through testimony of the holy spirit. I've taken classes on evangelism and apologetics and I'm admittedly not that good at the apologetics side of things. However, it never really bothered me because like I said before, arguments don't usually convince people. The majority of people that are believers become Christians because of the differences, and the love, that they see in other believers lives. You may say that is a dumb and an unintellectual reason, but nonetheless that is actually how it generally works.
Sidewalker
Posts: 3,713
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2012 5:18:28 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I have one that is guaranteed to convert you but I consulted with all the other Theists first and they said don't do it, apparently nobody wants you to join.

Well, except for the Urantia Book folks, they said they'd take you, but I really can't speak for them, you'll have to go direct on that.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
Rational_Thinker9119
Posts: 9,054
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2012 5:28:53 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/26/2012 5:08:47 PM, stubs wrote:
At 9/26/2012 5:01:25 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:

What else could possibly convert people then, if not for some form of argumentation?

Through testimony of the holy spirit.

So people testifying about some "holy spirit" is supposed to be more convincing than actual philosophical argumentation? Lol

I've taken classes on evangelism and apologetics and I'm admittedly not that good at the apologetics side of things. However, it never really bothered me because like I said before, arguments don't usually convince people.

You still have not provided a better alternative to argumentation.

The majority of people that are believers become Christians because of the differences, and the love, that they see in other believers lives.

So because you're beliefs make guys more happy, God exists? It seems you have a very low standard when it comes to convincing...Hey, would you like to purchase some volcano insurance? ;)

You may say that is a dumb and an unintellectual reason

Bingo.

but nonetheless that is actually how it generally works.

Oh that's how it works. Then Hallelujah praise the Lord Jesus, I've seen the light!
Rational_Thinker9119
Posts: 9,054
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2012 5:31:05 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/26/2012 5:18:28 PM, Sidewalker wrote:
I have one that is guaranteed to convert you but I consulted with all the other Theists first and they said don't do it, apparently nobody wants you to join.

Oh no, I feel so left out!


Well, except for the Urantia Book folks, they said they'd take you, but I really can't speak for them, you'll have to go direct on that.
stubs
Posts: 1,887
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2012 5:34:34 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/26/2012 5:28:53 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 9/26/2012 5:08:47 PM, stubs wrote:
At 9/26/2012 5:01:25 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:

What else could possibly convert people then, if not for some form of argumentation?

Through testimony of the holy spirit.

So people testifying about some "holy spirit" is supposed to be more convincing than actual philosophical argumentation? Lol


Not testifying through the working of the holy spirit in someone elses life but the conviction of the holy spirit in ones own life.

I've taken classes on evangelism and apologetics and I'm admittedly not that good at the apologetics side of things. However, it never really bothered me because like I said before, arguments don't usually convince people.

You still have not provided a better alternative to argumentation.


In your opinion.

The majority of people that are believers become Christians because of the differences, and the love, that they see in other believers lives.

So because you're beliefs make guys more happy, God exists? It seems you have a very low standard when it comes to convincing...Hey, would you like to purchase some volcano insurance? ;)


That's not what I said at all. I said people see that in believers lives (sometimes) and are convicted by the holy spirit.

You may say that is a dumb and an unintellectual reason

Bingo.


Called it.

but nonetheless that is actually how it generally works.

Oh that's how it works. Then Hallelujah praise the Lord Jesus, I've seen the light!

I mean you can disagree, but that is generally how people come to Christ. How many people have I seen converted to Christianity through philosophical arguments? 0. Through conviction of the holy spirit? Several. Heard stories of many more.
imabench
Posts: 21,228
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2012 5:39:43 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Is my argument still leading?
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Rational_Thinker9119
Posts: 9,054
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2012 5:51:46 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/26/2012 5:34:34 PM, stubs wrote:
At 9/26/2012 5:28:53 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 9/26/2012 5:08:47 PM, stubs wrote:
At 9/26/2012 5:01:25 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:

What else could possibly convert people then, if not for some form of argumentation?

Through testimony of the holy spirit.

So people testifying about some "holy spirit" is supposed to be more convincing than actual philosophical argumentation? Lol


Not testifying through the working of the holy spirit in someone elses life but the conviction of the holy spirit in ones own life.

Oh I get it, I just haven't been caressed by the divine hand of God. I haven't been touched by the Holy Ghost...If I only I was one of the chosen ones, like you, then I would definitely be a believer. You just have information I don't have access to, because the creator of the universe loves you...This is delusional to me (no offense). Unfortunately, this nonsense shouldn't convince anybody.

I've taken classes on evangelism and apologetics and I'm admittedly not that good at the apologetics side of things. However, it never really bothered me because like I said before, arguments don't usually convince people.

You still have not provided a better alternative to argumentation.


In your opinion.

Not really. "God exists" doesn't follow from "I witness the Holy Spirit". No matter what you say, it has to boil down to logical argumentation in order to be convincing to a rational human being. I can just say I feel the hand of Zeus and it's just as convincing as your comments about the Holy Ghost.


The majority of people that are believers become Christians because of the differences, and the love, that they see in other believers lives.

So because you're beliefs make guys more happy, God exists? It seems you have a very low standard when it comes to convincing...Hey, would you like to purchase some volcano insurance? ;)


That's not what I said at all. I said people see that in believers lives (sometimes) and are convicted by the holy spirit.

You mean they think they are, how do they know it's not something else? How do your know, they aren't just calling what the feel the "Holy Spirit" due to already existing presuppositions?


You may say that is a dumb and an unintellectual reason

Bingo.


Called it.

At least you are aware of it.


but nonetheless that is actually how it generally works.

Oh that's how it works. Then Hallelujah praise the Lord Jesus, I've seen the light!

I mean you can disagree, but that is generally how people come to Christ.

You mean, slap the label "Christ" on some feeling which is probably just a chemical reaction in the brain?

How many people have I seen converted to Christianity through philosophical arguments? 0. Through conviction of the holy spirit? Several. Heard stories of many more.

I've seen many people convert to theism over the argument from the Universal Orch-Or theory, or even the fine-tuning argument. I haven't come across one rational skeptical thinking person who said "ya, I felt the Holy Spirit and stuff, so I believe now". How intellectually dumb, I'm glad I have not encountered that like you have.
Chicken
Posts: 1,296
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2012 5:52:16 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/26/2012 3:48:57 PM, imabench wrote:
At 9/26/2012 3:45:16 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
Theists, if you could only use one argument to try and convert an agnostic to theism, what would it be? How would you support it? Whichever theist convinces me the most, will win my friendship, an online hug, and mailed cookie (I'm kind of a big deal, so the idea of being my friend and getting an online hug from me should get you stoked, and my cookies are the bomb).

Thanks guys!

Convert to Theism or you will never see your mother, who I kidnapped, ever again.

Ugh, now i have to worship god...
Disciple of Koopin
Right Hand Chicken of the Grand Poobah DDO Vice President FREEDO

Servant of Kfc
medic0506
Posts: 13,450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2012 5:52:17 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/26/2012 3:45:16 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
Theists, if you could only use one argument to try and convert an agnostic to theism, what would it be? How would you support it? Whichever theist convinces me the most, will win my friendship, an online hug, and mailed cookie (I'm kind of a big deal, so the idea of being my friend and getting an online hug from me should get you stoked, and my cookies are the bomb).


Thanks guys!

Do some looking into the historical evidence for Jesus, at your own leisure so that you aren't getting pressured or getting a biased view of things. Then look at some of the miracles He performed. Ask yourself why eyewitnesses didn't come out in protest of what the Christians were preaching, if they were saying things that didn't actually happen. Ask yourself why people allowed themselves to be killed for professing Christ as Savior if they weren't fully convinced. Would you die for something that you "think" is true but had not seen with your own eyes?? This didn't just happen to one psycho crazed individual, it happened to numerous people, and they all held firmly to their beliefs through the end. Not only that, but the Christian church continued to grow, even though it's leaders were being killed.

Here's a good video by Lee Strobel, pay attention to the timeline, then see if you can disprove it with historical evidence.
Rational_Thinker9119
Posts: 9,054
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2012 5:59:07 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/26/2012 5:52:17 PM, medic0506 wrote:
At 9/26/2012 3:45:16 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
Theists, if you could only use one argument to try and convert an agnostic to theism, what would it be? How would you support it? Whichever theist convinces me the most, will win my friendship, an online hug, and mailed cookie (I'm kind of a big deal, so the idea of being my friend and getting an online hug from me should get you stoked, and my cookies are the bomb).


Thanks guys!

Do some looking into the historical evidence for Jesus, at your own leisure so that you aren't getting pressured or getting a biased view of things. Then look at some of the miracles He performed. Ask yourself why eyewitnesses didn't come out in protest of what the Christians were preaching, if they were saying things that didn't actually happen. Ask yourself why people allowed themselves to be killed for professing Christ as Savior if they weren't fully convinced. Would you die for something that you "think" is true but had not seen with your own eyes?? This didn't just happen to one psycho crazed individual, it happened to numerous people, and they all held firmly to their beliefs through the end. Not only that, but the Christian church continued to grow, even though it's leaders were being killed.

Here's a good video by Lee Strobel, pay attention to the timeline, then see if you can disprove it with historical evidence.



"Would you die for something that you "think" is true but had not seen with your own eyes??"

No, because I'm not a delusional religious nut bag. The terrorists on 911 "thought" they were going to get 72 virgins. I guess they really got them according to your logic. I guess all the people involved in the Heaven's Gate incident really did meet up with an extra-terrestrial after committing a group suicide, because they were so convinced and willing to die for their beliefs.

Come on dude lol
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2012 6:27:48 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
http://www.godlessgeeks.com...
FU bench. I'm winning.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
medic0506
Posts: 13,450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2012 6:29:24 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/26/2012 5:59:07 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 9/26/2012 5:52:17 PM, medic0506 wrote:
At 9/26/2012 3:45:16 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
Theists, if you could only use one argument to try and convert an agnostic to theism, what would it be? How would you support it? Whichever theist convinces me the most, will win my friendship, an online hug, and mailed cookie (I'm kind of a big deal, so the idea of being my friend and getting an online hug from me should get you stoked, and my cookies are the bomb).


Thanks guys!

Do some looking into the historical evidence for Jesus, at your own leisure so that you aren't getting pressured or getting a biased view of things. Then look at some of the miracles He performed. Ask yourself why eyewitnesses didn't come out in protest of what the Christians were preaching, if they were saying things that didn't actually happen. Ask yourself why people allowed themselves to be killed for professing Christ as Savior if they weren't fully convinced. Would you die for something that you "think" is true but had not seen with your own eyes?? This didn't just happen to one psycho crazed individual, it happened to numerous people, and they all held firmly to their beliefs through the end. Not only that, but the Christian church continued to grow, even though it's leaders were being killed.

Here's a good video by Lee Strobel, pay attention to the timeline, then see if you can disprove it with historical evidence.



"Would you die for something that you "think" is true but had not seen with your own eyes??"

No, because I'm not a delusional religious nut bag. The terrorists on 911 "thought" they were going to get 72 virgins. I guess they really got them according to your logic. I guess all the people involved in the Heaven's Gate incident really did meet up with an extra-terrestrial after committing a group suicide, because they were so convinced and willing to die for their beliefs.

Come on dude lol

Apples and oranges.

Those people that you mentioned all took their own lives, active suicide.

The early church leaders could have lived had they simply denied Christ, but none of them did. If they hadn't seen the miracles, why do you suppose they would have let themselves be killed?? If they didn't know for sure what awaited them after death, what would have been their logic for not doing what would have kept them alive??
imabench
Posts: 21,228
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2012 6:31:13 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/26/2012 6:27:48 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
http://www.godlessgeeks.com...
FU bench. I'm winning.

"ARGUMENT FROM ASSUMPTION
(1) God exists.
(2) Therefore, God exists."

Thats the dumbest argument for God ive ever heard.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015