Jump to topic:

A series that can change your life.

Alex
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2009 7:50:30 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I'm not sure if this has already been posted on the site before, but i haven't seen it so i thought i would share it.

It's a 10 episode series, called H20 A Journey Of Faith. I encourage you to watch the whole series, but if you watch at least one I recommend the second episode. The series has changed a great many of people, so i encourage you to watch.

If your interested here's a link to the site.

http://tv.cityonahillproductions.com...
Why kill people who kill people to show that killing people is wrong?
Alex
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2009 10:01:56 PM
*Awaits a sarcastic or demeaning comment from the local atheists*
TheSkeptic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2009 12:19:43 AM
At 9/23/2009 10:01:56 PM, alex_hanson911 wrote:
*Awaits a sarcastic or demeaning comment from the local atheists*

And rightfully so ;).

I watched the preview, and I'll admit I stopped a little after halfway because I couldn't bear it anymore; it was frustratingly empty of anything that would pique my interest. And I don't mean to say that this new side of Christianity is boring and thus I won't watch it - no, if there was some new argument for Christianity then I'd definitely look into it. What this series is best for is other Christians who perhaps are looking for something else, or aren't satisfied with their current church - but NOT for the atheist who is looking for some justification on the Christian's part.

For atheists though, I don't see much motivation to look into it. I'm not sure there are any arguments for Christianity in there, and in fact the material it's preview is based on can be used as fuel for the fire. A criticism directed to exploit the psychological weakness of many "born again Christians", and of how the church is eager to take advantage of this. Of course, I don't mean that most church members consciously have this in mind (they're just doing their job to take care of their fellow brothers and sisters, and that's perfectly fine). However, it is the nature of religion to do so, it's a VERY hand tool natural selection made. Dennett talked about this in his book, you should check it out.

But hey, the cinematography and acting wasn't too bad. I understood the Chinese part with the girl too :) Bonus.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2009 6:29:18 AM
I gave it a shot (the trailer).

First of all, I feel very uncomfortable with some All-American douche looking at me and telling me that HE'S going to represent the Church and confess the Church's sins and shortcomings to me. I mean who IS this guy? Second, he 'apologizes' for the Church being too traditional and wrapped up in itself to be open to others; however, neglects the fact that the Church doesn't want to welcome some people in the first place unless it's to change them or their lifestyle (i.e. gays). Third, he automatically assumes that romantic love is not fulfilling. I can say that while some 'love' isn't, it's only because you find out later on that it wasn't really love to begin with. Moreover, even if it was and it was temporary, it just means that you've lived a little and learned (experienced) along the way.

Next, this guy tells us that nobody's going to remember us when we die. This seems similar to fear-mongering and basically getting people to convert out of our selfish desire for approval and our fear of being forgotten because that translates to our lives being meaningless. As humans, it's very difficult for people to accept that their life is insignificant. Finally he concludes with, "But perhaps if you search, you'll find what you've been looking for all along." Yeah - and what if that answer is nothing?

This is completely off topic, but why do Christians always assume that atheists are missing something or simply not getting it? Atheists don't ask Christians to assume that nothing exists or that there is no God. Instead, they merely challenge certain beliefs and ask the theist for logic, evidence or proof to support their claims. This does not seem unreasonable to me. However in this series, and in most conversation with theists, they do not offer these very simple things to satisfy people's curiosity and intellectual needs. Instead, they say maybe you can "feel" it. Well empiricism ain't too reliable, k?

I think this movie is a perfect example of theists preying on the weak or those in need. It depicts people in various situations where their lives may not be working out too well. This happens to all of us at some point, and it's very easy to take someone in a moment of suffering and offer the idea of God (salvation) to them to make them feel better. It's very tempting, but we shouldn't forget our original point -- That the Church has always been very corrupt and hypocritical; that the God theory doesn't make any sense; and that religion can be dangerous and isn't too far off from being cult-like or brainwashing.

That said, I appreciate alex_hanson911 posting this video and apologize if I sound a little harsh. I've tried to be open-minded here, but I'm jaded to this BS :)
President of DDO
Floid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2009 6:36:07 AM
To answer the questions posed by the preview:

What do we all have in common?

We all are located on a planet called Earth which revolves around a star that we call the Sun that is towards the outer edge of the Milky Way galaxy.

We all share a common genome that gives us common features such as internal organ structure, skeletal structure, etc (except for the rare exceptions through birth defects or traumatic events when these structures are deformed).

When was the last time I was really thirsty

This morning when I woke up.

Do I ever feel like life is this big search for something that I know is out there?

No, if I can't empirical demonstrate that something exists then I have no idea if it is out there or not.

Have I ever wondered why this world is so messed up?

Actually, given the factors I observe I think this world works remarkably well. You have 6 billion thinking creatures, many of whom who over the last three hundreds years have managed educate themselves to a point where they drastically reduced their desire to kill and subjugate one another.

Why can't we just get along with each other?

Many of us do.

Why can't we find lasting joy and peace?

Maybe because these are unrealistic, utopian goals?

There rest of it is great. If people gathering together and comforting each other brings them happiness then more power to all of them. The problem comes when you attribute that happiness to an imaginary deity and not the act of common fellowship among people bringing happiness.

People don't kill each other, torture each other, disregards others feelings and beliefs because they gather together in a different group than them to find comfort. They do so because they use ancient documents written by barbaric people to find evidence of an imaginary deity and then they take the rest of those documents, which contain the writings of barbaric people, as the truth and try to implement what they say.

As Thomas Jefferson said, the Bible has a collection good moral philosophy (the moral teachings of Jesus) surrounded by the works of clearly inferior minds. If Christianity could separate the two it would be a lot better off.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2009 7:11:15 AM
At 9/24/2009 6:36:07 AM, Floid wrote:

As Thomas Jefferson said, the Bible has a collection good moral philosophy (the moral teachings of Jesus) surrounded by the works of clearly inferior minds. If Christianity could separate the two it would be a lot better off.

Cheers.
President of DDO
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2009 8:18:40 AM
This series has changed my life. I didn't realize how unhappy and unfulfilled I was until I watched this trailer. Consider me a Christian from now on!

On a serious note, I found theLwerd's analysis to be pretty spot on. "All American douchebag" indeed.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2009 11:29:15 AM
Damnit Lwerd.

Nothing else to add. *shuffles away*
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
Alex
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2009 12:30:24 PM
The show wasn't made in attempt to present new Christian "arguments"
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2009 12:34:14 PM
At 9/24/2009 12:30:24 PM, alex_hanson911 wrote:

Exactly. Which is why the series is not for atheists, but for so-so christians/theists.
Alex
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2009 12:42:43 PM
At 9/24/2009 12:34:14 PM, Nags wrote:
At 9/24/2009 12:30:24 PM, alex_hanson911 wrote:

Exactly. Which is why the series is not for atheists, but for so-so christians/theists.

Not necessarily, i guess we must see the line between atheists who have absolutely no intention of considering Christianity, in which case your right the show is not for them. But there are those atheists who quite going to church, or stopped believing in God for some past experience, such as feeling unwelcome at church, or maybe they went through a rough time and they didn't get immediate relief then they looked to God, and so they stopped believing he was there. In which case the video could do some good.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2009 4:54:19 AM
I just watched the trailer and I have to say it looks pretty horrible:
As with all TV/movies etc it is a carnal experience.. designed to manipulate the emotions.
Also it's the same old 'what can we do to save people'.. where as I believe we should be trusting God and His power, by His Spirit..
In short, ZOMBIE CHRISTIANITY(tm)
The Cross.. the Cross.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2009 6:22:07 AM
I agree with alex. I personally think the movie looks like a bunch of BS; however, that's because I'd consider myself a fairly logical person and can see right through what the movie is trying to do. However, alex is right - for an atheist who was once Christian (like many of us were) or for someone who isn't OPPOSED to religion and just hasn't had exposure, the movie will probably be at least somewhat successful at conversion which I guess is the entire point. It'd be interesting if a science-minded movie could come out directed at atheists or something haha although that seems quite paradoxical. That just reminded me to post about this documentary I watched recently... :)
President of DDO
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2009 8:53:10 PM
If you're going to spend your time watching a 10 episode series, I'd recommend Band of Brothers. All the violence of the old testament, none of the obligation, and just as likely to change your life.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2009 5:39:50 AM
At 9/28/2009 1:05:51 AM, theLwerd wrote:
Lol... feel-good movies about war are a bunch of BS too :P

*waits for women to suddenly 'get' war movies*