Jump to topic:

Honest question for atheists/antitheists

medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2012 9:19:03 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
You guys claim that you don't believe religious claims. Ok that's fine, but what is the motivation for raiding a religion forum?? There are as many, if not more, non-believers on the religion forum, as there are believers. I don't believe there are aliens in outer space but I wouldn't go on a forum where people who believe in them are, and spend hours arguing that they're kooks. I don't go on atheist sites and tell them they're all going to hell, so I have a hard time understanding what motivates you guys to do this.

Do you get a sense of intellectual superiority, or does it make you feel smart??

Do you just like to antagonize and offend?? I mean surely you guys don't think that we're going to accept your arguments that aren't even scientifically conclusive.

Are you trying to convert people?? If you answer yes then don't tell me atheism isn't a religion.

Or is it that you actually want to believe and you're hoping that someone has a new point that will convince you??

What is it exactly, that motivates atheists to spend hours arguing the same ineffective arguments against us??
GenesisCreation
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2012 11:07:28 AM
At 10/1/2012 9:19:03 AM, medic0506 wrote:
You guys claim that you don't believe religious claims. Ok that's fine, but what is the motivation for raiding a religion forum?? There are as many, if not more, non-believers on the religion forum, as there are believers. I don't believe there are aliens in outer space but I wouldn't go on a forum where people who believe in them are, and spend hours arguing that they're kooks. I don't go on atheist sites and tell them they're all going to hell, so I have a hard time understanding what motivates you guys to do this.

Do you get a sense of intellectual superiority, or does it make you feel smart??

Do you just like to antagonize and offend?? I mean surely you guys don't think that we're going to accept your arguments that aren't even scientifically conclusive.

Are you trying to convert people?? If you answer yes then don't tell me atheism isn't a religion.

Or is it that you actually want to believe and you're hoping that someone has a new point that will convince you??

What is it exactly, that motivates atheists to spend hours arguing the same ineffective arguments against us??

I predict an Atheist will show up and :
1.> Tell you that you don't understand Atheism
2.> Tell you that they actively seek to root out the evil of religion (yet provide no objective reasoning for the concept of evil).
3.> Provide sarcastic remarks
4.> Sling character attacks
5.> Nominate you for the weekly stupid (which is the bi-weekly stupid [ which should be called the payday stupid {if you don't understand that, get a job}])
6.> Wallstreet Atheist will begin stalking your profile and VBing your debates.
7.> ScottyDouglas. ScottyDouglas, ScottyDouglas...ScottyDouglas.
Um....You've got a log in your eye.
"I would be suspicious of an argument without any concessions." - John Dickson
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2012 11:35:09 AM
At 10/1/2012 11:07:28 AM, GenesisCreation wrote:

I predict an Atheist will show up and :
1.> Tell you that you don't understand Atheism
2.> Tell you that they actively seek to root out the evil of religion (yet provide no objective reasoning for the concept of evil).
3.> Provide sarcastic remarks
4.> Sling character attacks
5.> Nominate you for the weekly stupid (which is the bi-weekly stupid [ which should be called the payday stupid {if you don't understand that, get a job}])
6.> Wallstreet Atheist will begin stalking your profile and VBing your debates.
7.> ScottyDouglas. ScottyDouglas, ScottyDouglas...ScottyDouglas.
8. Lordknukle will come to the defense of evolution (even though no one's challenging it), or else he'll just pipe in long enough to call us f--ktards.
9. Composer will be here to tell us how he successfully blah blah yada yada.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2012 11:39:57 AM

You're analogies are way off don't you think? No-ones going to another groups site. Atheists aren't going to a theists site. They're going to a debate site. Just because it's a religion forum doesn't mean it's for the religious. It's for discussing religion.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2012 12:07:18 PM
At 10/1/2012 11:39:57 AM, phantom wrote:

You're analogies are way off don't you think? No-ones going to another groups site. Atheists aren't going to a theists site. They're going to a debate site. Just because it's a religion forum doesn't mean it's for the religious. It's for discussing religion.

Very few actually discuss anything. Many of them just take the opportunity to insult and tell us how wrong we are, without being able to support their own positions so I still don't get the motivation for it.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2012 12:13:47 PM
At 10/1/2012 12:07:18 PM, medic0506 wrote:

Very few actually discuss anything. Many of them just take the opportunity to insult and tell us how wrong we are, without being able to support their own positions so I still don't get the motivation for it.

Lol, as if it's only secularists who do that. And as if you never do that. And as if very many of them don't intelligently discuss a lot of things.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2012 12:18:13 PM
At 10/1/2012 12:13:47 PM, phantom wrote:

Lol, as if it's only secularists who do that. And as if you never do that. And as if very many of them don't intelligently discuss a lot of things.

I wouldn't do it if they weren't here railing on us constantly. Notice I don't pick on the ones who actually present a decent argument or take part in an actual discussion.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2012 12:23:25 PM

Religion - "Engage and explore our religious forum and discuss your opinion on faith, world religions and more."

God doesn't exist is my opinion on faith, world religions, and more. You seem to be laboring on the false and rather hubristic stance that this forum is some private forum only for believers.

It isn't.

Sorry.
unitedandy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2012 12:23:27 PM

Speaking purely for myself, I'm here to challenge my own beliefs. I find it mystifying why someone on a debate site would have to ask why folk debate religion. It's interesting, topical and important, both socially and personally. And you do occasionally do get people shifting their opinion. As phantom said, it's a forum about religion, not designated solely for the religious.

But I do note the irony in someone who routinely refuses to debate chastise others for not being able to support their beliefs.
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2012 12:27:16 PM
At 10/1/2012 12:23:27 PM, unitedandy wrote:
But I do note the irony in someone who routinely refuses to debate chastise others for not being able to support their beliefs.

Debate is not the only way of supporting your beliefs.
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
unitedandy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2012 12:55:36 PM
At 10/1/2012 12:27:16 PM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:

Really? All this time . . .

Seriously though, what better mechanism is there for justifying one's beliefs on a debate site than debating them? Challenging someone to support their beliefs in this way is also a pretty good way of gauging how seriously we should take an opinion. Trust me, when someone makes an outlandish claim on the forums, it's amazing to see how this changes when they are challenged to debating it. Unequivocal and sweeping generalizations are usually cut back to far more defensible claims and so on.
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2012 12:57:20 PM
At 10/1/2012 12:55:36 PM, unitedandy wrote:

Seriously though, what better mechanism is there for justifying one's beliefs on a debate site than debating them? Challenging someone to support their beliefs in this way is also a pretty good way of gauging how seriously we should take an opinion. Trust me, when someone makes an outlandish claim on the forums, it's amazing to see how this changes when they are challenged to debating it. Unequivocal and sweeping generalizations are usually cut back to far more defensible claims and so on.

Debates aren't necessarily able to prove anything more conclusively than a discussion in the forums can.

Not that debates aren't useful.
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
bobingersoll
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2012 12:59:25 PM
Why are the arguments "ineffective"? Is it because they (all of them?) are bad or false, or is it because the vast majority of believers can not be persuaded?

Anyway, I debate religious believers for one reason - I enjoy it. If I didn't derive some pleasure from the process, I would no longer participate.
unitedandy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2012 1:16:48 PM
At 10/1/2012 12:57:20 PM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:
At 10/1/2012 12:55:36 PM, unitedandy wrote:

Debates aren't necessarily able to prove anything more conclusively than a discussion in the forums can.

Not that debates aren't useful.

Having a formal (or at least more formal) stage, where each participant is judged on the claims they make and support they can muster for them does seem to make a difference. People make claims on the forums (and medic is the prime example) which they either can't or won't defend in a debate setting.

I've said before, anyone can claim anything they want in the forums, but put them in a debate setting, where they have to defend these things, and you see an immediate shift in the nature of claims.
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2012 1:20:15 PM

Speaking purely for myself, I'm here to challenge my own beliefs. I find it mystifying why someone on a debate site would have to ask why folk debate religion. It's interesting, topical and important, both socially and personally. And you do occasionally do get people shifting their opinion. As phantom said, it's a forum about religion, not designated solely for the religious.

Don't start this junk again. I declined your debate only for the good reasons that I gave. I told you what I WOULD debate, which was the title of the thread, and I provided definitions, but you refused to do that so don't blame it on me. I don't "routinely" refuse to debate. I've been challenged 2 other times and debated both issues, knowing that the atheists wouldn't allow me to win one of them. I took the loss anyway.
unitedandy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2012 1:38:39 PM
At 10/1/2012 1:20:15 PM, medic0506 wrote:

Don't start this junk again. I declined your debate only for the good reasons that I gave. I told you what I WOULD debate, which was the title of the thread, and I provided definitions, but you refused to do that so don't blame it on me. I don't "routinely" refuse to debate. I've been challenged 2 other times and debated both issues, knowing that the atheists wouldn't allow me to win one of them. I took the loss anyway.

I believe you were challenged on evolution and you declined on a forum you started. I challenged you on 4 or 5 individual claims you made in the other forum, you declined these as well, all of this even granting your version of events of our initial debate.
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2012 1:51:30 PM
At 10/1/2012 1:38:39 PM, unitedandy wrote:

I believe you were challenged on evolution and you declined on a forum you started. I challenged you on 4 or 5 individual claims you made in the other forum, you declined these as well, all of this even granting your version of events of our initial debate.

I offered you a debate about the title of the thread that I started, and felt was fair, and you declined. I'm not arguing this again.
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2012 1:52:17 PM
At 10/1/2012 1:51:30 PM, medic0506 wrote:
I offered you a debate about the title of the thread that I started, and felt was fair, and you declined. I'm not arguing this again.

You should do a debate on that :P
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2012 2:03:23 PM
At 10/1/2012 1:52:17 PM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:

You should do a debate on that :P

lol...we already have, ad nauseum
unitedandy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2012 2:04:19 PM

Okay, I'm with you. I'm not wanting to go over ground either. But you did refuse to debate evolution after creating a thread about it, correct? And you did refuse to defend the statements I'm talking about in a debate?

In other words, when I said you routinely refused to defend what you said, I can point to instances where you point blank refuse to justify them in a debate setting, which you would acknowledge, presumably.
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2012 2:20:19 PM
At 10/1/2012 2:04:19 PM, unitedandy wrote:

Okay, I'm with you. I'm not wanting to go over ground either. But you did refuse to debate evolution after creating a thread about it, correct?

Did you not see the post where I capitulated after doing some more research on the guy and admitted that he was a quack??

And you did refuse to defend the statements I'm talking about in a debate?

I offered to debate the thread title.
unitedandy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2012 2:20:35 PM
Ironically, Medic, you even refused to debate Alwaysmorethanyou on catholicism, as if my point wasn't apparent enough, though admittedly this wasn't one your ad hom drive-by threads, like the atheism is intellectually bankrupt one.
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2012 2:22:13 PM
At 10/1/2012 2:20:35 PM, unitedandy wrote:
Ironically, Medic, you even refused to debate Alwaysmorethanyou on catholicism, as if my point wasn't apparent enough, though admittedly this wasn't one your ad hom drive-by threads, like the atheism is intellectually bankrupt one.

He did debate me on 2 Timothy 3:16-17, and while I feel that the voterage was quite, quite biased, I deserved to lose irregardlessly.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2012 2:23:40 PM

You really have nothing better to offer this site than vitriol? Do you understand what debate means? It means confrontation, challenge, inquisition. If you honestly want to sit around with your Christian buddies and have an intellectually vapid circle jerk then this isn't your site.

Your tactics are disgusting, your threads are juvenile, and your character is unworthy.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
unitedandy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2012 2:31:37 PM
At 10/1/2012 2:20:19 PM, medic0506 wrote:
At 10/1/2012 2:04:19 PM, unitedandy wrote:

Okay, I'm with you. I'm not wanting to go over ground either. But you did refuse to debate evolution after creating a thread about it, correct?

Did you not see the post where I capitulated after doing some more research on the guy and admitted that he was a quack??

Fair enough, though taking Kent Hovind seriously is pretty amazing, particularly from someone who was throwing the "intellectually bankrupt" label at the same time.

And you did refuse to defend the statements I'm talking about in a debate?

I offered to debate the thread title.

This doesn't really answer the question. Besides, you didn't. You offered to defend a qualified version of the title, to the point where the claim you made initially (atheism is false) was off the table.
unitedandy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2012 2:34:02 PM
At 10/1/2012 2:22:13 PM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:
At 10/1/2012 2:20:35 PM, unitedandy wrote:

He did debate me on 2 Timothy 3:16-17, and while I feel that the voterage was quite, quite biased, I deserved to lose irregardlessly.

I should have said refused to debate alwaysmorethanyou initially. My bad.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2012 2:40:11 PM
At 10/1/2012 12:23:25 PM, drafterman wrote:

Religion - "Engage and explore our religious forum and discuss your opinion on faith, world religions and more."

drafter nailed it, as usual. This thread would make sense if we were on IBelieveInGod.org.

Now, I happen to be here to giggle at the absurdity of both sides, so I vehemently oppose any cessation of hostilities.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Archistrategos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2012 2:59:02 PM
At 10/1/2012 2:40:11 PM, Maikuru wrote:
At 10/1/2012 12:23:25 PM, drafterman wrote:

drafter nailed it, as usual. This thread would make sense if we were on IBelieveInGod.org.

Now, I happen to be here to giggle at the absurdity of both sides, so I vehemently oppose any cessation of hostilities.

Blessed are the peace makers...
DeFool
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2012 3:00:57 PM
If the OA questions are earnest, then I suppose that I - the most unrepentant of all trolls, should respond.

I myself will not allow many religious statements to stand when they are uttered in my company. This is done out of fear. There is no way to "believe" in Christianity, Islam or Judaism without accepting murder and other acts of criminality.

Consider: The cluster-bombing Christians, killing politically disenfranchised Iraqi's (nominally for the sins of Hussein) because they are "ragheads." The Israelis, whose favorite sport seems to be exploding Palestinians. And the Muslims - who are so medieval in their beliefs that it's sometimes hard to believe that they are part of this century.

I maintain that there is no possible way to truly believe in heaven and stay alive. I will therefore, always answer the statement that there are heavens. I do not like to be lied to. Therefore, anyone who tells me that they believe in heaven, yet has not murdered their children and blown their own heads off.... I will call a liar.
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2012 3:10:28 PM
You guys claim that you don't believe religious claims. Ok that's fine, but what is the motivation for raiding a religion forum?? There are as many, if not more, non-believers on the religion forum, as there are believers. I don't believe there are aliens in outer space but I wouldn't go on a forum where people who believe in them are, and spend hours arguing that they're kooks.

I only call the theists with really wacky theories (like Young Earth Creationists) "kooks", simply believing in God isn't kooky at all in my opinion, it's understandable. The reason why I'm on here (as an agnostic), is to challenge theists theories so I can get a clear picture of how to form how I veiw reality, they can challenge my ideas as well. There are plenty of arguments that I used to have for example, that I don't use anymore. If I never debated these issues, I would still be using bad arguments. So there are rational reasons why an agnostic/ atheist would be on here.

Imagine if someone had a really god argument for Aliens existing in outer-space, and you missed out because you didn't want to participate. How could one not believe in Aliens anyway lol.

I don't go on atheist sites and tell them they're all going to hell, so I have a hard time understanding what motivates you guys to do this.

If your are debating a really kooky theist, it's kind of hard not to feel smart in comparison. This, however, is not the reason for the interactions (I am only speaking for myself here).

This all depends on how you define religion. Also, even if Atheism is a religion, what is your point?

Bingo. This is the reason I challenge theists on this site anyway...

Would could say the same thing in reverse. I've yet to hear one successful argument for theism. Also, in case you didn't notice, this is a debate website. If everyone was a theist on here just sucking each other off, it would get pretty boring now wouldn't it?