Jump to topic:

Reformed Theology

Paradox_7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2012 1:02:14 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Joneszj turned me on to the guys and I stumbled across this video.

It's a bit long, but it keeps your interest, so check it out; let me know what you think.
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2012 1:42:48 PM
Just wondering; who are these people?
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2012 2:26:09 PM
At 10/2/2012 1:02:14 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:

It's a bit long, but it keeps your interest, so check it out; let me know what you think.

If this was an accurate representation of what reformed theology is like, it must be an absolute mess.
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
GenesisCreation
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2012 2:35:06 PM
At 10/2/2012 2:26:09 PM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:

If this was an accurate representation of what reformed theology is like, it must be an absolute mess.

Would you care to discuss the doctrines of grace?
Um....You've got a log in your eye.
"I would be suspicious of an argument without any concessions." - John Dickson
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2012 2:36:39 PM
At 10/2/2012 2:35:06 PM, GenesisCreation wrote:

I don't even know what those are.
ScottyDouglas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2012 2:39:16 PM
At 10/2/2012 2:36:39 PM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:
At 10/2/2012 2:35:06 PM, GenesisCreation wrote:

I don't even know what those are.

I think you should discuss them then. I am interested but I think me and GC have a similiar view about it. Just speculating we do.
TheAsylum
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2012 2:42:12 PM
At 10/2/2012 2:39:16 PM, ScottyDouglas wrote:
I think you should discuss them then. I am interested but I think me and GC have a similiar view about it. Just speculating we do.

Fine then.

What are these "doctrines of grace", and can anyone provide a list of them with a meaningful definition/explanation of each one?
GenesisCreation
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2012 3:02:58 PM
At 10/2/2012 2:42:12 PM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:
At 10/2/2012 2:39:16 PM, ScottyDouglas wrote:

Fine then.

What are these "doctrines of grace", and can anyone provide a list of them with a meaningful definition/explanation of each one?

Total Depravity - Mankind is radically God hating, choosing evil over good.
Unconditional election - God chooses whom he saves without any condition on behalf of the sinner.
Limited Attonement - Christ died for his Church.
Irresistable Grace - Those whom are called, come.
Perseverance of the Saints - Those whom are justified cannot fall from Grace.

It's a rough translation. There is a 9 part series on T.U.L.I.P. here: http://www.student-preacher.com...
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2012 3:05:17 PM
At 10/2/2012 3:02:58 PM, GenesisCreation wrote:
Unconditional election - God chooses whom he saves without any condition on behalf of the sinner.

It's a rough translation. There is a 9 part series on T.U.L.I.P. here: http://www.student-preacher.com...

Your site is physically alluring, but even that is not able to compel me to watch a 9 part series if the first part, being in duration roughly 40 minutes, is anything to go by.

That would be like, five hours.
GenesisCreation
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2012 3:06:43 PM
At 10/2/2012 3:05:17 PM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:

Your site is physically alluring, but even that is not able to compel me to watch a 9 part series if the first part, being in duration roughly 40 minutes, is anything to go by.

Yea....scholarship takes time. Imagine what Martin Luther endured in the days of "reading books."
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2012 3:08:53 PM
At 10/2/2012 3:06:43 PM, GenesisCreation wrote:
Yea....scholarship takes time. Imagine what Martin Luther endured in the days of "reading books."

Personally, I have my doubts such days ever existed.
GenesisCreation
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2012 3:12:15 PM
At 10/2/2012 3:05:17 PM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:

It's worth the effort to understand. What if you're faced with sharing the Gospel to a prefessing Calvinist? Don't you want to understand his view on scripture? Because I can promise you, he has studied yours deeply. Many Calvinists are quite informed, and even more arrived at the doctrines of grace through years of batteling against the doctrines. It's not an easy position to arrive at. You practically have to trust in the truth of the scripture and completely empty yourself of your own bias.

You know how long I battled with Limited Atonement? I still ask God why, but at least now I trust His sovreign will on the issue. Like the scripture says:
Does the Clay Jar say to it's make:"Why did you make me thus?""
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2012 3:12:21 PM
Questions:

Always? I assume that's what "total" means, but I might as well ask it if I'm going to be asking other questions as well.

So why doesn't God choose to save everyone if he wills that all men be saved?

What is his Church?

Hmm... Not sure if I agree with that but I can't find any obvious question to ask about it.

What is being "justified" entail?
joneszj
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2012 3:12:26 PM

Haha, Shai Linne is amazing! Stephen the Levite too! Unfortunately I wanted to scream at my screen because Hazakim was describing in words what is known as prevenient grace but it seems no one there was aware of it and thus glossed over it.
GenesisCreation
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2012 3:14:04 PM
At 10/2/2012 3:08:53 PM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:

Rofl....awesome...and here I thought you folks had no humor.
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2012 3:14:28 PM
At 10/2/2012 3:12:15 PM, GenesisCreation wrote:
It's worth the effort to understand. What if you're faced with sharing the Gospel to a prefessing Calvinist? Don't you want to understand his view on scripture? Because I can promise you, he has studied yours deeply. Many Calvinists are quite informed, and even more arrived at the doctrines of grace through years of batteling against the doctrines. It's not an easy position to arrive at. You practically have to trust in the truth of the scripture and completely empty yourself of your own bias.

Yeah, but I don't expect to have five hours completely free any time soon.

I have severe doubts that anyone is able to empty themselves of their own bias.

You know how long I battled with Limited Atonement? I still ask God why, but at least now I trust His sovreign will on the issue. Like the scripture says:
Does the Clay Jar say to it's make:"Why did you make me thus?""

"No, because clay jars can't talk" - Anti-joke Chicken
GenesisCreation
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2012 3:15:33 PM
At 10/2/2012 3:12:21 PM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:
Questions:

Always? I assume that's what "total" means, but I might as well ask it if I'm going to be asking other questions as well.

What is his Church?

Hmm... Not sure if I agree with that but I can't find any obvious question to ask about it.

I need to get home. I'll post later to answer, but Google will do it justice if you're impatient.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2012 3:39:01 PM

Elaborate!
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2012 3:41:12 PM
At 10/2/2012 3:39:01 PM, imabench wrote:

Elaborate!

Not only is it a completely unwarranted speculation that people ever read books, but there is simply has no historical evidence.

Books have always simply been for show, no one has ever read a book for knowledge and no one will ever read a book for knowledge.

I challenge you to prove that there were ever days in which people "read books". Why would you read a book when Google can read it for you?
ScottyDouglas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2012 4:04:40 PM
At 10/2/2012 3:41:12 PM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:

Elaborate!

Not only is it a completely unwarranted speculation that people ever read books, but there is simply has no historical evidence.

Books have always simply been for show, no one has ever read a book for knowledge and no one will ever read a book for knowledge.

I challenge you to prove that there were ever days in which people "read books". Why would you read a book when Google can read it for you?

Please tell me you kidding! Please say somewhere that this is a joke.
TheAsylum
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2012 4:05:54 PM
At 10/2/2012 4:04:40 PM, ScottyDouglas wrote:

Elaborate!

lol

At least GenesisCreation got it. People seem to have difficulty telling when I'm being serious.
ScottyDouglas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2012 4:07:24 PM
At 10/2/2012 4:05:54 PM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:

Elaborate!

lol

At least GenesisCreation got it. People seem to have difficulty telling when I'm being serious.

I thought you was but sometimes it is hard to tell around here, can you blame someone?
TheAsylum
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2012 4:08:02 PM

Elaborate!

lol

AMTY, im always on the lookout for material for the weekly stupid, and you have no idea how close you came to ending up on it... Thats why I asked for you to elaborate.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2012 4:12:40 PM
Brilliant.

I guess I'll have to watch what I say from now on.

Who the hell could honestly believe that I think no one ever read books? Do I seriously come across as that stupid to you?
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2012 4:15:05 PM
At 10/2/2012 4:12:40 PM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:
Brilliant.

Who the hell could honestly believe that I think no one ever read books? Do I seriously come across as that stupid to you?

No, but ive found some spectacular stupidity in the religious forums... I found someone who thinks evolution is a religion, so literally anything said in here can be considered the valid opinion of someone. :P

AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2012 4:15:54 PM
At 10/2/2012 4:15:05 PM, imabench wrote:
Brilliant.

No, but ive found some spectacular stupidity in the religious forums... I found someone who thinks evolution is a religion, so literally anything said in here can be considered the valid opinion of someone. :P

I can write in coherent English. That should be a pretty big point in my favor.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2012 5:17:36 PM
At 10/2/2012 4:08:02 PM, imabench wrote:

Elaborate!

lol

AMTY, im always on the lookout for material for the weekly stupid, and you have no idea how close you came to ending up on it... Thats why I asked for you to elaborate.

Check for posts by Composer.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
GenesisCreation
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2012 5:59:24 PM
At 10/2/2012 4:15:05 PM, imabench wrote:
Brilliant.

Now Mr. Bench...may I call you Ima? Evolution may not be an intended religion, but the reasoning behind the statement is not entirely without cause.

Both systems have advocates that seek to indoctrinate. True, evolution on it's own does not, but zealots for the cause do. You cannot deny an active pro-evolution campaign that seeks to eradicate Christianity (almost exclusively).

Is it therefor suprising when we call an evolutionist with the zeal of a religious fanatic....a religious person?

Obviously, the term is designed to point out fanaticism, not faith, ....but it has it's place.
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2012 1:39:05 AM
At 10/2/2012 3:12:21 PM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:
Questions:

What is his Church?

Just in case this got lost while imabench was trying to put me on the weekly stupid.