Jump to topic:

Christianity and Science

AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2012 12:45:14 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Just thought I'd share this quote by St. Augustine: "One does not read in the Gospel that the Lord said: "I will send you the Paraclete who will teach you about the course of the sun and moon." For He willed to make them Christians, not mathematicians."

So, Christians, what do you think about your faith and science? Do you think the Bible contains 100% literal descriptions of scientific processes? Can I think of a third question to round off this post nicely?
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
Archistrategos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2012 1:01:42 PM
At 10/4/2012 12:45:14 PM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:
Just thought I'd share this quote by St. Augustine: "One does not read in the Gospel that the Lord said: "I will send you the Paraclete who will teach you about the course of the sun and moon." For He willed to make them Christians, not mathematicians."

So, Christians, what do you think about your faith and science? Do you think the Bible contains 100% literal descriptions of scientific processes? Can I think of a third question to round off this post nicely?

It is not as it originally was.

"The first word of the Hebrew Genesis, as traditionally vocalized and pronounced, means literally "In a beginning".

However, tradition has it meaning and translated as "In the beginning". The literal meaning is considered as contradicting reality. Therefore, Rashi, the noted medieval commentator, suggested a syntactic solution that maintains the traditional meaning. However, this syntactic solution, as is shown later, requires a change in the vocalization and pronunciation of the second word of Genesis. This paper argues that we should accept the traditional, Masoretic vocalizations along with its literal meaning, and explores the consequences of that literal meaning."

The bible is highly mathematically organized. The Hebrews wept when it got translated into other languages.
Ahmed.M
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2012 1:10:35 PM
The paraclete is prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him). He has been foretold in the New Testament as well as in the Old Testament.
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2012 1:14:37 PM
At 10/4/2012 1:10:35 PM, Ahmed.M wrote:
The paraclete is prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him). He has been foretold in the New Testament as well as in the Old Testament.

Care to debate that?
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2012 1:15:32 PM
At 10/4/2012 1:14:37 PM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:

Care to debate that?

I don't mean to sound aggressive, but I already had a debate on that exact same topic, and it resolved unsatisfyingly with my opponent forfeiting.

So I would like to have another stab at it.
Ahmed.M
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2012 1:38:22 PM
At 10/4/2012 1:15:32 PM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:
At 10/4/2012 1:14:37 PM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:

Care to debate that?

I don't mean to sound aggressive, but I already had a debate on that exact same topic, and it resolved unsatisfyingly with my opponent forfeiting.

So I would like to have another stab at it.

I can't right now, I'm in two debates. After I finish them, I will challenge you.
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2012 1:41:15 PM
At 10/4/2012 1:38:22 PM, Ahmed.M wrote:
I can't right now, I'm in two debates. After I finish them, I will challenge you.

Fair enough.
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2012 8:48:26 PM
Do you think the Bible contains 100% literal descriptions of scientific processes?

No I don't. The Bible was not meant to be a science book, and the concern of the authors was not to teach science, but to teach matters of God and spirituality.

I do think there are some instructions given in the OT that have a scientific basis, but was given to the Jews for their own benefit, to keep them from spreading disease, and causing birth defects.