Jump to topic:

Faith vs Works

Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2012 5:22:07 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
In Christianity, which is more important, faith or works?
I practice first century Christianity, so I believe in a balance, but many christian religions require no faith, or no works. If that's you, I would like to hear your views.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2012 5:23:17 AM
At 10/8/2012 5:22:07 AM, Smithereens wrote:
I practice first century Christianity, so I believe in a balance, but many christian religions require no faith, or no works. If that's you, I would like to hear your views.

How do you "practice first century Christianity"?
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2012 5:29:15 AM
Also, what Christians believe in no works?

To answer the question (which I realized I didn't do), Catholics believe in Grace -> Faith -> Works.
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2012 5:29:43 AM
At 10/8/2012 5:29:15 AM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:
Also, what Christians believe in no faith?

Typo there.

To answer the question (which I realized I didn't do), Catholics believe in Grace -> Faith -> Works.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2012 5:32:40 AM
There is no Faith without works. A believer will always react upon his faith, and do good works as a result. The concept of blessing through mere faith is nonsensical. It's an excuse to be lazy.
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2012 5:57:32 AM
At 10/8/2012 5:23:17 AM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:
At 10/8/2012 5:22:07 AM, Smithereens wrote:

The first century church had no name, so I can't really call it anything. The day of Pentecost saw the first members added to the church, the rituals they performed are what I refer to as 'first century Christianity.'
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2012 5:57:54 AM

Me Composer the ongoing successful Cult buster: The Earliest & Original believers were NOT trinitarian; so for your next attempts against me & your Story book, you need to join one like that that! -

"At first the Christian faith was not Trinitarian" It was not so in the apostolic and sub-apostolic ages, as reflected in the New Testament and other early Christian writings" (Encyclopedia of Religion and Ethics, ed. James Hastings, 1922, Vol. 12, p. 461).

The Trinity "is not directly and immediately the Word of God" (New Catholic Encyclopedia, 1967, Vol. XIV, p. 304).

Much much much much much much much better luck with your next attempts from your new Cult now your old one has been successfully busted here again by moi!

PS, Another helpful Tip from your Saviour moi! -

Try and pick a Cult this time that doesn't produce paedophiles, homosexual abominations & Nun rapers that force abortions on them!

Your ONLY literal Saviour moi!
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2012 5:58:58 AM

Do you know what the faith prayer is? Its upheld by many christians, I'm not sure of the actual names of their sects, but if you say this prayer, then you are saved forever. Others believe that baptism is completely useless, just believe that God is, and you are saved.
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2012 5:59:01 AM
At 10/8/2012 5:57:54 AM, Composer wrote:

Me Composer the ongoing successful Cult buster: The Earliest & Original believers were NOT trinitarian; so for your next attempts against me & your Story book, you need to join one like that that! -

"At first the Christian faith was not Trinitarian" It was not so in the apostolic and sub-apostolic ages, as reflected in the New Testament and other early Christian writings" (Encyclopedia of Religion and Ethics, ed. James Hastings, 1922, Vol. 12, p. 461).

The Trinity "is not directly and immediately the Word of God" (New Catholic Encyclopedia, 1967, Vol. XIV, p. 304).

Much much much much much much much better luck with your next attempts from your new Cult now your old one has been successfully busted here again by moi!

Try and pick a Cult this time that doesn't produce paedophiles, homosexual abominations & Nun rapers that force abortions on them!

I wasn't asking you, you dolt.
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2012 5:59:38 AM
At 10/8/2012 5:58:58 AM, Smithereens wrote:

Do you know what the faith prayer is? Its upheld by many christians, I'm not sure of the actual names of their sects, but if you say this prayer, then you are saved forever. Others believe that baptism is completely useless, just believe that God is, and you are saved.

Yeah, that was a typo. I meant to say "what Christians believe in no faith".
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2012 6:00:29 AM
At 10/8/2012 5:29:43 AM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:

Typo there.

Those that believe that all are saved regardless of their faith, as long as they were a good person. They say there is no faith required, but you must have good works.
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2012 6:01:17 AM
At 10/8/2012 6:00:29 AM, Smithereens wrote:
At 10/8/2012 5:29:43 AM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:

Typo there.

Those that believe that all are saved regardless of their faith, as long as they were a good person. They say there is no faith required, but you must have good works.

Hmm... Interesting.
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2012 6:01:39 AM
At 10/8/2012 5:57:54 AM, Composer wrote:

who is this kid?
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2012 6:03:24 AM
At 10/8/2012 6:01:39 AM, Smithereens wrote:
who is this kid?

Someone not worthy of a response, unless you want to increase your number of posts.
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2012 6:17:21 AM
At 10/8/2012 5:57:32 AM, Smithereens wrote:
The first century church had no name, so I can't really call it anything.

Me Composer the ongoing successful Cult buster: 1. The Earliest & Original beliefs were NOT trinitarian so that gives you all a clue where to start!

"At first the Christian faith was not Trinitarian"It was not so in the apostolic and sub-apostolic ages, as reflected in the New Testament and other early Christian writings" (Encyclopedia of Religion and Ethics, ed. James Hastings, 1922, Vol. 12, p. 461).

2. Story book jebus frequented & taught in the synagogues and that would NOT have been permitted had he not adhered to the Jewish teachings and considered a halakah = (authorized opinions).

3. Story book jebus was an eternal Jew, so that's clue number 3 from your only literal Saviour moi!
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2012 6:22:34 AM
At 10/8/2012 6:17:21 AM, Composer wrote:

Me Composer the ongoing successful Cult buster: 1. The Earliest & Original beliefs were NOT trinitarian so that gives you all a clue where to start!

"At first the Christian faith was not Trinitarian"It was not so in the apostolic and sub-apostolic ages, as reflected in the New Testament and other early Christian writings" (Encyclopedia of Religion and Ethics, ed. James Hastings, 1922, Vol. 12, p. 461).

2. Story book jebus frequented & taught in the synagogues and that would NOT have been permitted had he not adhered to the Jewish teachings and considered a halakah = (authorized opinions).

3. Story book jebus was an eternal Jew, so that's clue number 3 from your only literal Saviour moi!

what are you trying to advocate?
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2012 6:24:09 AM
At 10/8/2012 6:03:24 AM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:
who is this kid?

Someone not worthy of a response, unless you want to increase your number of posts.

Me Composer the ongoing successful Cult buster: So speaks the successfully busted hypocrytical supporter of the teachings of paedophiles, homosexual deviant abomination producing & child raping, OR others Nun raping, then forcing abortions on them catholic priests! LOL!

All in all an abominable Pagan based Non-Earliest & NON-Original Story book false believer and its ' rotten fruit producing ' abominable (disgusting) catholic Cult!
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2012 6:24:56 AM
The first century church had no name, so I can't really call it anything. The day of Pentecost saw the first members added to the church, the rituals they performed are what I refer to as 'first century Christianity.'

So, what rituals did they perform?
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2012 6:25:36 AM
At 10/8/2012 6:24:09 AM, Composer wrote:
who is this kid?

Me Composer the ongoing successful Cult buster: So speaks the successfully busted hypocrytical supporter of the teachings of paedophiles, homosexual deviant abomination producing & child raping, OR others Nun raping, then forcing abortions on them catholic priests! LOL!

All in all an abominable Pagan based Non-Earliest & NON-Original Story book false believer and its ' rotten fruit producing ' abominable (disgusting) catholic Cult!

You still have failed to respond to my criticisms of your arguments from silence.

Please do that before polluting other threads. Let's try to keep the virus quarantined, shall we?
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2012 6:29:12 AM
At 10/8/2012 6:24:56 AM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:

So, what rituals did they perform?

they would gather from house to house to break bread and encourage one another, they would spread and preach the gospel like a wildfire, they would examine each preacher to see if he was correct etc, but they would never change anything. They were against adding to the bible or taking from it, they existed until the rise of catholosism, then it died out compeltely. It came back during the industrial age, when people got fed up with so many doctrines and just wanted the plain old bible. Nowadays, its slowly growing back, 80 congregations are known to exist in Australia, with about 2000 members. There are a few hundred thousand in USA though.
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2012 6:30:49 AM
At 10/8/2012 6:24:09 AM, Composer wrote:
who is this kid?

The actions of a few do not represent the actions of the many, and they definately do not reflect the beliefs they are supposed to uphold. This is an example of human corruption and nature, being compelled to naturally do bad things.
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2012 6:34:13 AM
At 10/8/2012 6:22:34 AM, Smithereens wrote:
At 10/8/2012 6:17:21 AM, Composer wrote:

what are you trying to advocate?

Me Composer the ongoing successful Cult buster: 1. Read my Posts!

2. The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, . . . . (2 Pet. 3:9) KJV Story book

So according to your allegedly preferred variety of Story book; we all have nothing to worry or concern ourselves about, for IF it isn't willing that any should perish, then that is that!

Regardless, in Story book Land it remains so far a liar, & narcissitic bumbling child spiritually raping, bastard producing Story book god we unfortunately read about!

QED
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2012 6:38:35 AM
At 10/8/2012 6:31:32 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
LOL, Composer is such a funny troll.

A reading from the Wisdom of Annanicole:

At 10/7/2012 4:11:59 PM, annanicole wrote:
Even being a troll requires a certain minimum of intelligence. Without further elaboration, I question that Composer is a troll. That's no crime, however: I have a cat sleeping on the couch here beside me. It can't be a troll, either.
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2012 7:07:22 AM
At 10/8/2012 6:29:12 AM, Smithereens wrote:
they would gather from house to house to break bread and encourage one another, they would spread and preach the gospel like a wildfire, they would examine each preacher to see if he was correct etc, but they would never change anything. They were against adding to the bible or taking from it,

Did the Bible exist in the first century?

Honest question; I'm not sure of when each book was written.

they existed until the rise of catholosism, then it died out compeltely. It came back during the industrial age, when people got fed up with so many doctrines and just wanted the plain old bible. Nowadays, its slowly growing back, 80 congregations are known to exist in Australia, with about 2000 members. There are a few hundred thousand in USA though.

Got Bishops?
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2012 7:29:41 AM
At 10/8/2012 7:07:22 AM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:
At 10/8/2012 6:29:12 AM, Smithereens wrote:
they would gather from house to house to break bread and encourage one another, they would spread and preach the gospel like a wildfire, they would examine each preacher to see if he was correct etc, but they would never change anything. They were against adding to the bible or taking from it,

Did the Bible exist in the first century?

Yes and no. The individual books which comprise the Bible did exist; thus technically the Bible did exist in the 1st century.

Honest question; I'm not sure of when each book was written.

I believe the final book was the Gospel of John, written about AD95.

they existed until the rise of catholosism, then it died out compeltely. It came back during the industrial age, when people got fed up with so many doctrines and just wanted the plain old bible. Nowadays, its slowly growing back, 80 congregations are known to exist in Australia, with about 2000 members. There are a few hundred thousand in USA though.

Got Bishops?

Yes, bishops or elders or pastors or shepherds. All refer to the same office.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2012 7:32:38 AM
At 10/8/2012 7:29:41 AM, annanicole wrote:

u b a member?
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2012 8:42:25 AM
At 10/8/2012 7:32:38 AM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:
At 10/8/2012 7:29:41 AM, annanicole wrote:

u b a member?

A member? Of what?
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
baggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2012 9:19:30 AM
At 10/8/2012 5:32:40 AM, Mirza wrote:
There is no Faith without works. A believer will always react upon his faith, and do good works as a result. The concept of blessing through mere faith is nonsensical. It's an excuse to be lazy.
The Holy Quran 29:19-20

See they not how Allah originates creation, then repeats it: truly that is easy for Allah.

Say: "Travel through the earth and see how Allah did originate creation; so will Allah produce a later creation: for Allah has power over all things.