Jump to topic:

Christian Rock

Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2012 7:35:01 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Over the months I've seen antipathy toward Christian Rock music, particularly from Christians themselves (including Protestant, Othodox, and Catholic branches). I never stopped to ask why, and they never really explained their aversion to it, so I've devoted a thread to the sole purpose of discovering the reasons why many Christians dislike Christian Rock.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2012 8:03:50 PM
|--------------------------||____
| The Bump Truck |||""'|""\__,_
| _____________ l||__|__|__| )
|(@)@)"""""""**|(@)(@)**|(@)
""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2012 8:06:03 PM
I don't see that where I live WSA. At least a third of the radio stations around here play some form of Christian music.

I personally don't like a lot of it, not because of what it is saying but I don't like the music. My wife loves it though. She likes casting crowns, the first video is one of theirs.

I prefer NeedtoBreathe, better sound. What do you think of the second video. I think it will be something you might like.

The second is live, these guys can actually sing.

And the fourth video pretty good, the girl has a beautiful voice. And it is an awesome message.

I love the lyrics towards the end.

He' waiting to die as he sits
all alone
He's a man in a cell who
regrets what he's done

He utters a cry from the
depths of his soul
"Oh Lord, forgive me, I want
to go home"

Then he heard a voice
somewhere deep inside
and it said

"I know you've murdered
and I know you've lied
I have watch you suffer all
of your life

And now that you'll listen'
I'll tell you that I....."

I will love you for you
Not for what you have done
or what you will become

I will love you for you
I will give you the love
The love that you never knew
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2012 8:18:51 PM
I have not met a person in real life who is against christian rock, rap, ect...

I've heard there are people against it, but it's a small, small amount.
kfc
Paradox_7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2012 8:50:26 PM
At 10/9/2012 8:46:23 PM, twocupcakes wrote:
I would say that Christian Rock music is not good music and people just play it because it is Christian.

I tend to think this too..
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2012 9:27:38 PM
At 10/9/2012 8:46:23 PM, twocupcakes wrote:
I would say that Christian Rock music is not good music and people just play it because it is Christian.

No.
kfc
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2012 10:05:46 PM
I don't really listen to too much rock, Christian or otherwise, so I couldn't say.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2012 10:16:16 PM
At 10/9/2012 7:35:01 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Over the months I've seen antipathy toward Christian Rock music, particularly from Christians themselves (including Protestant, Othodox, and Catholic branches). I never stopped to ask why, and they never really explained their aversion to it, so I've devoted a thread to the sole purpose of discovering the reasons why many Christians dislike Christian Rock.

It's like any other music, there's good Christian rock and not so good Christian rock, there's jazz that's good and jazz that's bad, folk that's good, folk that's bad, rap that's...whoa, wait a second, nope, all rap is bad.

I'm pretty sure the whole point of rap is for my son to antagonize me with it.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2012 11:12:22 PM
At 10/9/2012 10:16:16 PM, Sidewalker wrote:

It's like any other music, there's good Christian rock and not so good Christian rock, there's jazz that's good and jazz that's bad, folk that's good, folk that's bad, rap that's...whoa, wait a second, nope, all rap is bad.

I'm pretty sure the whole point of rap is for my son to antagonize me with it.

Depends what rappers he listens to. I don't think anyone who listened to Eminem in his prime (no, not his Recovery say album) could say that rap isn't music. Even people who don't like rap love his songs.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2012 11:13:12 PM
At 10/9/2012 11:12:22 PM, MouthWash wrote:
Depends what rappers he listens to. I don't think anyone who listened to Eminem in his prime (no, not his Recovery album) could say that rap isn't music. Even people who don't like rap love his songs.

*fixed.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2012 11:26:55 PM
I'm not even a fan of religion and Christianity and I find quite a few Christian bands to be appealing, specifically naming just Skillet and Fireflight. Flyleaf is also okay, but mainly just because of the vocals, the rest of the band is iffy.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2012 11:32:28 PM
At 10/9/2012 11:04:28 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
Christian rock is just regular music with religious undertones in the lyrics most of the time.

this
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2012 11:53:39 PM

you just talking to the wrong Christians, probably the OOOOOOLLLLLLDDDDD GREY HARED GEREATIC kind. the reason they dont like it is there stuck up and refuse to allow themselves to like anything other than bluegrass and some old hyms and old country music. but in 20 years they will all be dead from old age and there will be no more like them disliking the new stuff.

Me, I love lots of christian contemporary music of all sorts. Need to Breath, Mathew West, Casting Crowns, Third Day, Toby Mac, my future wife Bitt Nicole, francesca battistelli, Merci Me, they are all some of my favorites just off the top of my head.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2012 3:36:24 AM
At 10/10/2012 5:32:34 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Maybe this has something to do with it.

I think he's taking bout a different kind of rock.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
CrazyPerson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2012 12:40:06 AM
Christian rock is just regular music with religious undertones in the lyrics most of the time.

Eh, 'regular'? Christian Rock is extremely sterile and consists mainly of (the heavenly) 4th, 5th, and octave intervals, which gives it a very, very generic and boring sound. With overwhelmingly generic and overly broadened biblical themes for lyrical content and little to no experimentation or inventive qualities. Overall, it is some of the plainest most boring crap ever.
But we try to pretend, you see, that the external world exists altogether independently of us.
- - - Watts
The moralist is the person who tells people that they ought to be unselfish, when they still feel like egos, and his efforts are always and invariably futile.
- - - Watts
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2012 12:54:29 AM
At 10/14/2012 12:40:06 AM, CrazyPerson wrote:

Eh, 'regular'? Christian Rock is extremely sterile and consists mainly of (the heavenly) 4th, 5th, and octave intervals, which gives it a very, very generic and boring sound. With overwhelmingly generic and overly broadened biblical themes for lyrical content and little to no experimentation or inventive qualities. Overall, it is some of the plainest most boring crap ever.

I've been playing Christian music for about six years in every format you could think of. Now, I play at a church that plays like soulful gospel, Christian rock, choir pieces, and worship music. Most Christian music can be broken into two categories: praise and worship. Praise music is the rock, funk, generally faster louder songs. Worship music is slow and ethereal.

I'll concede that the vast chunk of Christian Rock is quite boring, uninventive, yet I present two main objections:

1. Worship music is basically like a jam session for musicians to experiment and draw on the most emotional and express aspects of playing, working on connecting with the audience for emotional buildups, different styles, and achieving the effect of sounding like other-worldly music.

2. Some Christian rock music is really good, and should be preferred to secular rock as far as the elements of composition, style, improvisation, and rhythm are concerned. See the video I posted.
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2012 1:04:33 AM
So called xtian Rock is apparently the work of their Satan composing it from the Pits of the xtian Hell!

Other musicians also claiming to be xtians said to me that this sort of music together with so called xtian girls with low cut tops gyrating on the xtian stage, sucks the gullible young men in to xtianity and when sucked in, Story book jebus ' saves them? ' LOL! I quote almost ver batim!
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2012 3:16:25 PM

+1
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2012 3:43:38 PM
At 10/10/2012 5:32:34 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Maybe this has something to do with it.

Amazing message that sermon gives.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats