Jump to topic:

The Bible

emospongebob527
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2012 12:54:41 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Is biblical literalism and selective reading of the Holy Bible acceptable?
"not to toot my own horn (it aint need no tooin if u know what im saying), but my writings on "viciousness: the one true viture (fancy spelling for virtue)" and my poem "A poem I wrote about DDO" put me in a class of my damn own. im just an UNRECONGIZED geniuse" -bananafana
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2012 2:01:02 AM
It is important to distinguish between the related, but separate concepts of Biblical literalism, Biblical inerrancy, and Biblical infallibility. Some are used interchangeably depending on who you ask. But going by strict definitions for reasons of precision, however, they are different - many doctrinal bases or confessions for churches and organised sects require adherents to view the Bible as "inerrant" but do not support literalistic interpretations like creationism.

Biblical literalism. A literalist position insists that every word must be taken as literally true and treats everything as either a historical document or literal prophecy. This, of course, has problems because of translation issues, but in practice it usually focuses on convenient and (relatively) modern translations such as with the King James Only movement.
Biblical inerrancy. This is the basis that the Bible simply doesn't contain any errors. There is subtle but important difference between this and it being historically accurate as stories can still be interpreted as allegorical, but that their meaning is still true.
Biblical infallibility is the least radical position. It holds that the Bible is an infallible source regarding questions of faith and redemption, but not on questions of science and history. These people are willing to accept scientific facts like evolution as true.

The actual interpretation of these questions further depends on the various denominations and theological schools of thought.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Dogknox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2012 6:13:03 PM
Wallstreetatheist you said..
The actual interpretation of these questions further depends on the various denominations and theological schools of thought.

I reply: Yes; Right you are... Proving the very idea of; "We don't need Church, all man needs is the scriptures, Scriptures ALONE" can't be true!

Man needs an AUTHORITY to interpret the scriptures!
PROOF is...
Wallstreetatheist Proof is the thousands and thousands of man made churches, very one claims to have the ONLY TRUTH but not even one is the same! All these thousands of man made bodies came about because each man has decided what it TRUTH!

All the Chaos, division and fragmented bodies of men is only because of the idea of; "Scriptures ALONE" as each man can interpret the scriptures alone and get them interpreted right!

Dogknox