Total Posts:21|Showing Posts:1-21
Jump to topic:

Materialism Vs. Spirituality

s-anthony
Posts: 2,582
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2012 1:29:57 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Whether materialistic or spiritual, values serve the interests of the individual.

Some people, like a Wall Street broker, appraise some actions over others by which actions yields the highest gains. If doing good sacrifices their profits, then, it's more advantageous to sacrifice morality in the pursuit of gain.

Now, you may ask, what is profitable to the individual. That which a person values, like everything else, is relative to the individual.

Yet, there are those who seek to do good not for reward or recognition but for a sense of emotional satisfaction, even if doing so sacrifices other things they find valuable. They put a higher premium on the welfare and happiness of other people than they do on materialism and social standing.

This is not a religious or a secular morality but a material versus spiritual one. The goal is not to esteem one over the other but to create an equilibrium between the two.
Dogknox
Posts: 5,094
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2012 3:22:34 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/12/2012 1:29:57 PM, s-anthony wrote:
Whether materialistic or spiritual, values serve the interests of the individual.

Some people, like a Wall Street broker, appraise some actions over others by which actions yields the highest gains. If doing good sacrifices their profits, then, it's more advantageous to sacrifice morality in the pursuit of gain.

Now, you may ask, what is profitable to the individual. That which a person values, like everything else, is relative to the individual.

Yet, there are those who seek to do good not for reward or recognition but for a sense of emotional satisfaction, even if doing so sacrifices other things they find valuable. They put a higher premium on the welfare and happiness of other people than they do on materialism and social standing.

This is not a religious or a secular morality but a material versus spiritual one. The goal is not to esteem one over the other but to create an equilibrium between the two.

I disagree.. It is Satan against God!
It is religious morality against secular morality!
Satan corrupt LOVE, making it filthy, a desire of the flesh not the heart!
Satan is attacking the Family as never before "Adam & Eve"!

These people that put a higher premium on the welfare and happiness of other people than they do on materialism and social standing. Are people with God inside... They are LOVING OTHERS!

Love ALWAYS puts others first!!
You can't LOVE without letting go of self!
Love is "Good works of the heart"!
If you ever have a concern; is something a sin or not, ask yourself.. "Will my actions be loving actions" if NOT then the chances are it is a sin!

Satan is 100% HATE.. he can't love, he hates all men!
All of his actions are against man!!
Only man is made in the image of God, only Men are capable of LOVE!
"God is LOVE!" Satan attacks men by tempting them away from "Good works of the heart"! He attacks God by attacking LOVE!

Dogknox
VainApocalypse
Posts: 74
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2012 3:40:21 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/12/2012 1:29:57 PM, s-anthony wrote:
Whether materialistic or spiritual, values serve the interests of the individual.

Some people, like a Wall Street broker, appraise some actions over others by which actions yields the highest gains. If doing good sacrifices their profits, then, it's more advantageous to sacrifice morality in the pursuit of gain.

Now, you may ask, what is profitable to the individual. That which a person values, like everything else, is relative to the individual.

Yet, there are those who seek to do good not for reward or recognition but for a sense of emotional satisfaction, even if doing so sacrifices other things they find valuable. They put a higher premium on the welfare and happiness of other people than they do on materialism and social standing.

This is not a religious or a secular morality but a material versus spiritual one. The goal is not to esteem one over the other but to create an equilibrium between the two.

I don't think the two, as you've described them at least, are really that different.

They both make investments to affect some physical change in the world that makes them happy. The difference is merely in their preference of flavor. One measures his gains in the lives hes improved; the other measures his gains in his salary.

If you prefer one flavor to another, then by all means, esteem that one over the other; no equilibrium is required as long as you acknowledge that other people, too, have their own preferences.
VainApocalypse
Posts: 74
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2012 3:48:44 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/12/2012 3:22:34 PM, Dogknox wrote:
At 10/12/2012 1:29:57 PM, s-anthony wrote:
Whether materialistic or spiritual, values serve the interests of the individual.

Some people, like a Wall Street broker, appraise some actions over others by which actions yields the highest gains. If doing good sacrifices their profits, then, it's more advantageous to sacrifice morality in the pursuit of gain.

Now, you may ask, what is profitable to the individual. That which a person values, like everything else, is relative to the individual.

Yet, there are those who seek to do good not for reward or recognition but for a sense of emotional satisfaction, even if doing so sacrifices other things they find valuable. They put a higher premium on the welfare and happiness of other people than they do on materialism and social standing.

This is not a religious or a secular morality but a material versus spiritual one. The goal is not to esteem one over the other but to create an equilibrium between the two.

I disagree.. It is Satan against God!
It is religious morality against secular morality!
Satan corrupt LOVE, making it filthy, a desire of the flesh not the heart!
Satan is attacking the Family as never before "Adam & Eve"!

These people that put a higher premium on the welfare and happiness of other people than they do on materialism and social standing. Are people with God inside... They are LOVING OTHERS!

You've assumed a false dichotomy. Materialism and love are not mutually exclusive.

Love ALWAYS puts others first!!
You can't LOVE without letting go of self!
Love is "Good works of the heart"!
If you ever have a concern; is something a sin or not, ask yourself.. "Will my actions be loving actions" if NOT then the chances are it is a sin!

Contrarily, if you love someone, it is precisely because they give you pleasure. "Letting go of self" means disavowing your own joy and desires, but if you disavow the joy that someone gives you and your desire to see them happy and fulfilled then you do not love them.
Paradox_7
Posts: 1,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2012 5:27:26 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/12/2012 3:40:21 PM, VainApocalypse wrote:
At 10/12/2012 1:29:57 PM, s-anthony wrote:
Whether materialistic or spiritual, values serve the interests of the individual.

Some people, like a Wall Street broker, appraise some actions over others by which actions yields the highest gains. If doing good sacrifices their profits, then, it's more advantageous to sacrifice morality in the pursuit of gain.

Now, you may ask, what is profitable to the individual. That which a person values, like everything else, is relative to the individual.

Yet, there are those who seek to do good not for reward or recognition but for a sense of emotional satisfaction, even if doing so sacrifices other things they find valuable. They put a higher premium on the welfare and happiness of other people than they do on materialism and social standing.

This is not a religious or a secular morality but a material versus spiritual one. The goal is not to esteem one over the other but to create an equilibrium between the two.

I don't think the two, as you've described them at least, are really that different.

They both make investments to affect some physical change in the world that makes them happy. The difference is merely in their preference of flavor. One measures his gains in the lives hes improved; the other measures his gains in his salary.

If you prefer one flavor to another, then by all means, esteem that one over the other; no equilibrium is required as long as you acknowledge that other people, too, have their own preferences.


What if someone prefers to ignore the preferences of others?
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
Dogknox
Posts: 5,094
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2012 5:34:30 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
VainApocalypse Good to meet you..
You said..
Contrarily, if you love someone, it is precisely because they give you pleasure. "Letting go of self" means disavowing your own joy and desires, but if you disavow the joy that someone gives you and your desire to see them happy and fulfilled then you do not love them.

I reply: You are mistaken.. "Love is letting go of self.. putting others first!"
"Giving you pleasure" is "Sexual love"! Even then the woman "GIVES" her self to her husband and the man "GIVES" his seed!
The two make new LIFE from their actions of LOVE!
Love makes life!

VainApocalypse Satan has twisted love to mean "PLEASURE!"

Love is as simple as giving a cup of water to the thirsty! NOT..
Not selling the water to the thirsty.. but GIVING!

GIVING of self is good works! All people go to heaven if they LOVE!!
LOOK..
Matthew 25:34
"Then the King will say to those on his right, "Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me."

37 "Then the righteous will answer him, "Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?"


Do you see it?? "Then the righteous will answer him............. you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you

VainApocalypse The RIGHTEOUS go to heaven!
1 John 3:7
Dear children, do not let anyone lead you astray. The one who does what is right is righteous, just as he is righteous.

DO YOU SEE IT??? "Doing right saves"!
The one who does what is right is righteous

VainApocalypse The RIGHTEOUS are saved because they "DO RIGHT"!

GIVING of self from the heart is ACTIONS of LOVE!!
GIVING to others from the heart is called "Good WORKS!"
God calls us to do GOOD WORKS!

Works of the LAW are actions of the hand not the heart.. DON'T..
VainApocalypse Don't boast about your circumcision.. It is a "Work of the Law" The Mosaic LAW!!
Ephesians 2:8
For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith"and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God" 9 not by works, so that no one can boast. 10 For we are God"s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

GIVING to other's is GIVING to Jesus!!
GIVING is NOT working it is ACTIONS OF THE HEART.. LOVE!!

Dogknox
VainApocalypse
Posts: 74
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2012 7:09:04 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/12/2012 5:27:26 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:
At 10/12/2012 3:40:21 PM, VainApocalypse wrote:
At 10/12/2012 1:29:57 PM, s-anthony wrote:
Whether materialistic or spiritual, values serve the interests of the individual.

Some people, like a Wall Street broker, appraise some actions over others by which actions yields the highest gains. If doing good sacrifices their profits, then, it's more advantageous to sacrifice morality in the pursuit of gain.

Now, you may ask, what is profitable to the individual. That which a person values, like everything else, is relative to the individual.

Yet, there are those who seek to do good not for reward or recognition but for a sense of emotional satisfaction, even if doing so sacrifices other things they find valuable. They put a higher premium on the welfare and happiness of other people than they do on materialism and social standing.

This is not a religious or a secular morality but a material versus spiritual one. The goal is not to esteem one over the other but to create an equilibrium between the two.

I don't think the two, as you've described them at least, are really that different.

They both make investments to affect some physical change in the world that makes them happy. The difference is merely in their preference of flavor. One measures his gains in the lives hes improved; the other measures his gains in his salary.

If you prefer one flavor to another, then by all means, esteem that one over the other; no equilibrium is required as long as you acknowledge that other people, too, have their own preferences.


What if someone prefers to ignore the preferences of others?

Then they're asshats.
Paradox_7
Posts: 1,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2012 7:13:57 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/12/2012 7:09:04 PM, VainApocalypse wrote:
At 10/12/2012 5:27:26 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:
At 10/12/2012 3:40:21 PM, VainApocalypse wrote:
At 10/12/2012 1:29:57 PM, s-anthony wrote:
Whether materialistic or spiritual, values serve the interests of the individual.

Some people, like a Wall Street broker, appraise some actions over others by which actions yields the highest gains. If doing good sacrifices their profits, then, it's more advantageous to sacrifice morality in the pursuit of gain.

Now, you may ask, what is profitable to the individual. That which a person values, like everything else, is relative to the individual.

Yet, there are those who seek to do good not for reward or recognition but for a sense of emotional satisfaction, even if doing so sacrifices other things they find valuable. They put a higher premium on the welfare and happiness of other people than they do on materialism and social standing.

This is not a religious or a secular morality but a material versus spiritual one. The goal is not to esteem one over the other but to create an equilibrium between the two.

I don't think the two, as you've described them at least, are really that different.

They both make investments to affect some physical change in the world that makes them happy. The difference is merely in their preference of flavor. One measures his gains in the lives hes improved; the other measures his gains in his salary.

If you prefer one flavor to another, then by all means, esteem that one over the other; no equilibrium is required as long as you acknowledge that other people, too, have their own preferences.


What if someone prefers to ignore the preferences of others?

Then they're asshats.

Agree'd, but why would they care what you thought of them?

Futhermore, if they decided to live without regard for others, who's to say that they need to be different? Or, that their wrong for living that way?
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
THEBOMB
Posts: 2,872
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2012 7:58:42 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/12/2012 7:26:16 PM, stubs wrote:
At 10/12/2012 5:34:30 PM, Dogknox wrote:
All people go to heaven if they LOVE!!

Surely you don't believe that.

Faith, hope, love and the greatest of these is love.
Composer
Posts: 5,858
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2012 9:08:25 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/12/2012 3:22:34 PM, Dogknox wrote:
"God is LOVE!"
Me Composer the ongoing successful Cult buster: Story book disagrees!

Let's see what evidence YOU think you have for your claim?

At 10/12/2012 3:22:34 PM, Dogknox wrote:
Satan attacks men by tempting them away from "Good works of the heart"!

Me Composer the ongoing successful Cult buster: Using some Story books that do use the Hebrew Term Satan; they also show that their Satan is actually a goody at heart!

e.g. Of whom is Hymenaeus and Alexander; whom I have delivered unto Satan, that they may learn not to blaspheme. (1 Tim. 1:20) KJV Story book

I wonder what made Story book Paul take these guys to an alleged evil and ungodly Satan spirit being to learn godly things? LOL!

How did they know where it was?

Why did it agree to help Story book god?

Why did Story book Paul turn to Satan the evil being for help, instead of turning to Story book god?

Your ONLY literal Saviour moi!
VainApocalypse
Posts: 74
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2012 9:13:00 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/12/2012 7:13:57 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:
At 10/12/2012 7:09:04 PM, VainApocalypse wrote:
At 10/12/2012 5:27:26 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:
At 10/12/2012 3:40:21 PM, VainApocalypse wrote:
At 10/12/2012 1:29:57 PM, s-anthony wrote:
Whether materialistic or spiritual, values serve the interests of the individual.

Some people, like a Wall Street broker, appraise some actions over others by which actions yields the highest gains. If doing good sacrifices their profits, then, it's more advantageous to sacrifice morality in the pursuit of gain.

Now, you may ask, what is profitable to the individual. That which a person values, like everything else, is relative to the individual.

Yet, there are those who seek to do good not for reward or recognition but for a sense of emotional satisfaction, even if doing so sacrifices other things they find valuable. They put a higher premium on the welfare and happiness of other people than they do on materialism and social standing.

This is not a religious or a secular morality but a material versus spiritual one. The goal is not to esteem one over the other but to create an equilibrium between the two.

I don't think the two, as you've described them at least, are really that different.

They both make investments to affect some physical change in the world that makes them happy. The difference is merely in their preference of flavor. One measures his gains in the lives hes improved; the other measures his gains in his salary.

If you prefer one flavor to another, then by all means, esteem that one over the other; no equilibrium is required as long as you acknowledge that other people, too, have their own preferences.


What if someone prefers to ignore the preferences of others?

Then they're asshats.

Agree'd, but why would they care what you thought of them?

Futhermore, if they decided to live without regard for others, who's to say that they need to be different? Or, that their wrong for living that way?

They're welcome to have no regard for others, but it's in their interest to have such regard. People, with their specializations, cooperative efforts and vast vaults of knowledge, are an indispensable resource to one another. Ignoring the personal preferences of someone makes it a resource that's that much harder to excavate. This is true for everyone from barroom douche bags to serial rapists.
s-anthony
Posts: 2,582
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2012 10:41:29 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/12/2012 3:22:34 PM, Dogknox wrote:
I disagree.. It is Satan against God!
It is religious morality against secular morality!
Satan corrupt LOVE, making it filthy, a desire of the flesh not the heart!
Satan is attacking the Family as never before "Adam & Eve"!

Love is merely desire; whether being fleshly or that of one's emotions, it is still love. You draw a false dichotomy between a fleshly love and that of one's emotions. If you love to eat, it could not be said you abhor eating.

Love ALWAYS puts others first!!

No. It doesn't. You can love yourself or other things more than your desire for other people.

You can't LOVE without letting go of self!

You can't love, without yourself.

Only man is made in the image of God, only Men are capable of LOVE!

You're telling me, animals can't love? Then, what compels an animal to meet its needs?
Dogknox
Posts: 5,094
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2012 10:42:27 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/12/2012 7:26:16 PM, stubs wrote:
At 10/12/2012 5:34:30 PM, Dogknox wrote:
All people go to heaven if they LOVE!!

Surely you don't believe that.
stubs CHRISTIANS believes the scriptures, This is why I am Christian, I believe the scriptures!
And this is the difference between you and I; You believe the man made TRADITION of; "Man does not need church and her sacraments, all man needs is Faith.. Faith ALONE!"

The Man with only faith can't be righteous.. The "Breastplate of Righteousness" is made with >>LOVE<<!
1 Thessalonians 5:8
But since we belong to the day, let us be sober, putting on faith and love as a breastplate, and the hope of salvation as a helmet.

stubs the last part of the verse (above) tells you; "You have ZERO HOPE" you can't put on the "Helmet" it is made only with hope!!

God tells you as he tells all men.. "YOU MUST LOVE!"

The RIGHTEOUS go to heaven!
1 John 3:7
Dear children, do not let anyone lead you astray. The one who does what is right is righteous, just as he is righteous.

DO YOU SEE IT??? "Doing right saves"! The one who does what is right is righteous!!!
stubs The one who does what is right is righteous, the righteous go to heaven!
The RIGHTEOUS are saved because they; "DO RIGHT"!

John 5:28
"Do not be amazed at this, for a time is coming when all who are in their graves will hear his voice 29 and come out"those who have done what is good will rise to live, and those who have done what is evil will rise to be condemned.

stubs Don't be amazed, God tells you.. His words..(above) "Word for word" Those who have done what is good will rise to live!!!!

Doing GOOD are all actions of the heart..LOVE!
stubs All who DO RIGHT are RIGHTEOUS!
All with ONLY FAITH.. Do nothing!!

stubs The Goats have "Faith ALONE" proven by the fact "They do NOTHING for others, they have zero LOVE, only faith.. zero hope only faith"! These protestant go to the eternal fire reserved for Satan and his demons!

41 "Then he will say to those on his left (GOATS), "Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink.....

Dogknox
s-anthony
Posts: 2,582
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2012 10:47:52 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/12/2012 3:40:21 PM, VainApocalypse wrote:
If you prefer one flavor to another, then by all means, esteem that one over the other; no equilibrium is required as long as you acknowledge that other people, too, have their own preferences.

You are not merely a physical being; neither are you pure emotions. Both physical and emotional needs must be met, before one feels complete.
Dogknox
Posts: 5,094
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2012 11:36:54 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/12/2012 10:47:52 PM, s-anthony wrote:
At 10/12/2012 3:40:21 PM, VainApocalypse wrote:
If you prefer one flavor to another, then by all means, esteem that one over the other; no equilibrium is required as long as you acknowledge that other people, too, have their own preferences.

You are not merely a physical being; neither are you pure emotions. Both physical and emotional needs must be met, before one feels complete.
s-anthony Good post.. I agree 100%.

Man is NOT just physical.. Animals are just physical!
Man is made up of a Spiritual side, no man is complete if he lets is spiritual side starve!

Man must feed his spiritual side as well as his physical.
53 Jesus said to them, "Very truly I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you.
54 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.
55 For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink.
56 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in them.


AND

28 In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself.
29 After all, no one ever hated their own body, but they feed and care for their body, just as Christ does the church" 30 for we are members of his body.


Dogknox
CrazyPerson
Posts: 1,114
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2012 12:59:35 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/12/2012 7:09:04 PM, VainApocalypse wrote:
At 10/12/2012 5:27:26 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:
At 10/12/2012 3:40:21 PM, VainApocalypse wrote:
At 10/12/2012 1:29:57 PM, s-anthony wrote:
Whether materialistic or spiritual, values serve the interests of the individual.

Some people, like a Wall Street broker, appraise some actions over others by which actions yields the highest gains. If doing good sacrifices their profits, then, it's more advantageous to sacrifice morality in the pursuit of gain.

Now, you may ask, what is profitable to the individual. That which a person values, like everything else, is relative to the individual.

Yet, there are those who seek to do good not for reward or recognition but for a sense of emotional satisfaction, even if doing so sacrifices other things they find valuable. They put a higher premium on the welfare and happiness of other people than they do on materialism and social standing.

This is not a religious or a secular morality but a material versus spiritual one. The goal is not to esteem one over the other but to create an equilibrium between the two.

I don't think the two, as you've described them at least, are really that different.

They both make investments to affect some physical change in the world that makes them happy. The difference is merely in their preference of flavor. One measures his gains in the lives hes improved; the other measures his gains in his salary.

If you prefer one flavor to another, then by all means, esteem that one over the other; no equilibrium is required as long as you acknowledge that other people, too, have their own preferences.


What if someone prefers to ignore the preferences of others?

Then they're asshats.

Ask anyone who devotes their lives to serving others why they do so, and they will almost undoubtably reply - "Because it makes me feel good." Case dismissed.
But we try to pretend, you see, that the external world exists altogether independently of us.
- - - Watts
The moralist is the person who tells people that they ought to be unselfish, when they still feel like egos, and his efforts are always and invariably futile.
- - - Watts
Paradox_7
Posts: 1,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2012 3:23:49 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/12/2012 9:13:00 PM, VainApocalypse wrote:
At 10/12/2012 7:13:57 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:
At 10/12/2012 7:09:04 PM, VainApocalypse wrote:
At 10/12/2012 5:27:26 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:
At 10/12/2012 3:40:21 PM, VainApocalypse wrote:
At 10/12/2012 1:29:57 PM, s-anthony wrote:
Whether materialistic or spiritual, values serve the interests of the individual.

Some people, like a Wall Street broker, appraise some actions over others by which actions yields the highest gains. If doing good sacrifices their profits, then, it's more advantageous to sacrifice morality in the pursuit of gain.

Now, you may ask, what is profitable to the individual. That which a person values, like everything else, is relative to the individual.

Yet, there are those who seek to do good not for reward or recognition but for a sense of emotional satisfaction, even if doing so sacrifices other things they find valuable. They put a higher premium on the welfare and happiness of other people than they do on materialism and social standing.

This is not a religious or a secular morality but a material versus spiritual one. The goal is not to esteem one over the other but to create an equilibrium between the two.

I don't think the two, as you've described them at least, are really that different.

They both make investments to affect some physical change in the world that makes them happy. The difference is merely in their preference of flavor. One measures his gains in the lives hes improved; the other measures his gains in his salary.

If you prefer one flavor to another, then by all means, esteem that one over the other; no equilibrium is required as long as you acknowledge that other people, too, have their own preferences.


What if someone prefers to ignore the preferences of others?

Then they're asshats.

Agree'd, but why would they care what you thought of them?

Futhermore, if they decided to live without regard for others, who's to say that they need to be different? Or, that their wrong for living that way?

They're welcome to have no regard for others, but it's in their interest to have such regard. People, with their specializations, cooperative efforts and vast vaults of knowledge, are an indispensable resource to one another. Ignoring the personal preferences of someone makes it a resource that's that much harder to excavate. This is true for everyone from barroom douche bags to serial rapists.


I agree, but this didn't answer my question.

Was is it right, wrong, or neither for us to have intruded in the Nazi's plan to exterminate the Jews? Was their plan of genocide wrong, or just not beneficial?
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
Dogknox
Posts: 5,094
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2012 4:35:23 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/13/2012 3:23:49 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:

I agree, but this didn't answer my question.

Was is it right, wrong, or neither for us to have intruded in the Nazi's plan to exterminate the Jews? Was their plan of genocide wrong, or just not beneficial?

I reply: The Nazi's did what they did without any love so what they did was WRONG!

Killing babies is wrong.. it is SELFISH...It is not done with love!
CrazyPerson
Posts: 1,114
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2012 4:53:51 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/13/2012 4:35:23 PM, Dogknox wrote:
At 10/13/2012 3:23:49 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:

I agree, but this didn't answer my question.

Was is it right, wrong, or neither for us to have intruded in the Nazi's plan to exterminate the Jews? Was their plan of genocide wrong, or just not beneficial?

I reply: The Nazi's did what they did without any love so what they did was WRONG!

Killing babies is wrong.. it is SELFISH...It is not done with love!

This... this is yucky. Love is what exactly? And how do you know the Nazi's didn't have it?

I kill baby plants all the time. I guess it might be selfish because alas, I have to eat... but is it wrong?
But we try to pretend, you see, that the external world exists altogether independently of us.
- - - Watts
The moralist is the person who tells people that they ought to be unselfish, when they still feel like egos, and his efforts are always and invariably futile.
- - - Watts
imabench
Posts: 21,230
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2012 5:12:31 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/13/2012 4:35:23 PM, Dogknox wrote:
At 10/13/2012 3:23:49 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:

I agree, but this didn't answer my question.

Was is it right, wrong, or neither for us to have intruded in the Nazi's plan to exterminate the Jews? Was their plan of genocide wrong, or just not beneficial?

I reply: The Nazi's did what they did without any love so what they did was WRONG!

Killing babies is wrong.. it is SELFISH...It is not done with love!

So I assume that a person who kills babies and does it WITH love means youre ok with it?
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015