Jump to topic:

Bible Question: The 4th Commandment

Dan4reason
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2012 9:45:33 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:
5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;

A graven image is an engraved image, so the verse is saying you can't make engraved images or any pictures of anything.

So... are the Amish and the Muslims right?
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2012 10:13:05 AM
At 10/14/2012 9:45:33 AM, Dan4reason wrote:
4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:
5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;

A graven image is an engraved image, so the verse is saying you can't make engraved images or any pictures of anything.

That's not the fourth commandment.
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2012 10:20:16 AM
At 10/14/2012 10:13:05 AM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:
That's not the fourth commandment.

That's the second commandment (I think) among Protestants.

It's not a commandment in Judaism or in Latin-rite Catholicism.
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2012 10:55:08 AM

Since we cannot see the face of God, any attempt to create His likeness will be false, and will likely create adoration of that image. Therefore, not a good idea.
Dogknox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2012 11:17:06 AM

Dan4reason good to meet you...
I must assume you are a JEW!!

Christians have just TWO (2) Commandments not ten!!!
Mark 12:30
Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength."
31 The second is this: "Love your neighbor as yourself." There is no commandment greater than these."

Dan4reason The TWO (2) Christian commandments are greater then the Jews TEN (10) commandments!

The two (2) Commandments Jesus gave his followers sum up the ten and add freedom of WORSHIP as we want.. ALL..
Dan4reason All foods are acceptable to the Christians, Christians can eat pork!!
Christians can Worship God as we want.. He can see true WORSHIP, he can see into my heart!

John 13:34
"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.
Dan4reason Do you see it??? "A new command I give you"
When the NEW COMES the Old ones pass away!!

YOU MUST LOVE! Is the new command!
All of the Jewish ten are replaced by "LOVE!"

Dan4reason Christians can eat with dirty hands, we do NOT have to wash to our elbows!
Matthew 15:2
"Why do your disciples break the tradition of the elders? They don"t wash their hands before they eat!"

Christians worship God on Sundays; the Apostles.. Christians every one of them, worship God on Sundays!

Dan4reason Christians can make images of God and Our Saints, they help us worship God! They help us honor our Saints!
The Jew is pushing the boundaries of their commandment #4.. Every camera makes "Graven images on paper"! (Shame on them)

Christians ONLY WORSHIP God; We honor Mary our Mother!!

Jesus is our BROTHER so Mary is the MOTHER of the Christian!
Jesus is our BROTHER so God is our Father!
Jesus is NOT the brother of the Jew, Jesus judges them by their works!
Jesus judges his Brothers and sisters by their hearts.. "Harden NOT your hearts"!
Jesus honors Mary our Mother, Our heart tells all Christians to.. Honor Mary our Mother! God can see us Honor Mary.. he wants us to Honor Her!
Honor your father and Mother!

Christians can make graven images... We are not stuck in the rigid laws of the Jews.. We do all things following your hearts we always WORSHIP God by honoring Mary and by asking our brothers and sisters in heaven to pray for us!!

Dan4reason I want you to consider becoming Christian.. I will be first to welcome you into God' family!

Romans 13:9
The commandments, "You shall not commit adultery," "You shall not murder," "You shall not steal," "You shall not covet," and whatever other command there may be, are summed up in this one command: "Love your neighbor as yourself."

Dogknox
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2012 11:22:03 AM
At 10/14/2012 11:17:06 AM, Dogknox wrote:

We still have the ten commandments.

Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength."
31 The second is this: "Love your neighbor as yourself." There is no commandment greater than these."

"There is no commandment greater than these", not there is no commandment other than these.

Dan4reason The TWO (2) Christian commandments are greater then the Jews TEN (10) commandments!

But the ten commandments still exist.

http://www.vatican.va...

The Jew is pushing the boundaries of their commandment #4.. Every camera makes "Graven images on paper"! (Shame on them)

That's not even a Jewish commandment (to my knowledge). It's a Protestant one.
Dogknox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2012 11:31:15 AM
At 10/14/2012 11:22:03 AM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:
At 10/14/2012 11:17:06 AM, Dogknox wrote:

We still have the ten commandments.

"There is no commandment greater than these", not there is no commandment other than these.

But the ten commandments still exist.

http://www.vatican.va...

That's not even a Jewish commandment (to my knowledge). It's a Protestant one.

AlwaysMoreThanYou Good points!!

Yes the ten are still there.. BUT the TWO Christians commandments OUT DO the ten by a long shot.. Keeping the TWO is more then enough better then the ten!

It is LOVING act, following your heart to not steal!
It is LOVING act, following your heart, to not commit adultery!
etc....
The HEART GIVES to the needy... What commandment of the ten would MAKE the Jew give to the needy!

The Jews have a Mosaic law one of their 600; "Do not turn away the traveler"!

Christians following the heart says.. "Give to those in need including the traveler!"

Dogknox
baggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2012 11:33:17 AM
The Holy Bible - Matthew 5:19
Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

The Holy Quran: 5:116-118
And behold! Allah will say: "O Jesus the son of Mary! Didst thou say unto men, worship me and my mother as gods in derogation of Allah.?" He will say: "Glory to Thee! never could I say what I had no right (to say). Had I said such a thing, thou wouldst indeed have known it. Thou knowest what is in my heart, Thou I know not what is in Thine. For Thou knowest in full all that is hidden.

"Never said I to them aught except what Thou didst command me to say, to wit, 'worship Allah, my Lord and your Lord'; and I was a witness over them whilst I dwelt amongst them; when Thou didst take me up Thou wast the Watcher over them, and Thou art a witness to all things.

"If Thou dost punish them, they are Thy servant: If Thou dost forgive them, Thou art the Exalted in power, the Wise."
The Holy Quran 29:19-20

See they not how Allah originates creation, then repeats it: truly that is easy for Allah.

Say: "Travel through the earth and see how Allah did originate creation; so will Allah produce a later creation: for Allah has power over all things.
Dogknox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2012 3:08:12 PM
AlwaysMoreThanYou you said.. (no graven images)
You said.. That's not even a Jewish commandment (to my knowledge). It's a Protestant one.

Exodus 20:4
"You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below.
5 You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me,
6 but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments.

Deuteronomy 5:6
"I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery.
7 "You shall have no other gods before me.
8 "You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below.
9 You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me,
10 but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments.

The ONE GREAT Christian Commandment covers all ten Jewish commandments!
"Love God and Neighbor"!

Dogknox
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2012 4:09:43 PM
At 10/14/2012 3:08:12 PM, Dogknox wrote:
You said.. That's not even a Jewish commandment (to my knowledge). It's a Protestant one.

"You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below.
5 You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me,
6 but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments.

"I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery.
8 "You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below.
9 You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me,
10 but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments.

"Love God and Neighbor"!

Dogknox

It is a command (technically) but there are ten commandments, not seventeen or however many verses there are.

As far as I know, Jews combine the "no graven images" and "worship only God" into one commandment, just like Catholics.
Dogknox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2012 9:50:52 PM
At 10/14/2012 4:09:43 PM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:
At 10/14/2012 3:08:12 PM, Dogknox wrote:

"Love God and Neighbor"!

Dogknox

It is a command (technically) but there are ten commandments, not seventeen or however many verses there are.

As far as I know, Jews combine the "no graven images" and "worship only God" into one commandment, just like Catholics.

Yes you could be right...
I add, the Jews have an additional 600 plus "Works of the Law"!

Wash to the elbows before you eat!
Matthew 15:2
"Why do your disciples break the tradition of the elders? They don"t wash their hands before they eat!"

The new command is "LOVE"!!

Love is always the law of the heart never the hands..!
"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.

>MUST< love!

When the NEW arrives the Old is done away with!
All the ten commands all 600 plus "Works of the Law" are now just "LOVE!"
"Love God and Neighbor!"

All men (other then the Jews) are judged by their hearts.
The Jews will be judged by their LAWS... Laws no one can keep.. So they are "Hooped"!

Dogknox
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2012 12:39:19 AM

old testament doctrine is not practiced by christian religions.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2012 5:05:12 AM
At 10/14/2012 9:50:52 PM, Dogknox wrote:
"Love God and Neighbor!"

Me Composer the ongoing successful Cult buster: There goes your Cults BS insistence on Sabbath Keeping!

Your ONLY literal Saviour moi!
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2012 5:09:53 AM
At 10/15/2012 5:05:12 AM, Composer wrote:
"Love God and Neighbor!"

Me Composer the ongoing successful Cult buster: There goes your Cults BS insistence on Sabbath Keeping!

Catholics don't insist on keeping the Sabbath.
Double_Helix46
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2012 5:39:06 AM
At 10/15/2012 5:09:53 AM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:
"Love God and Neighbor!"

We know it.
Exodus 20:8
"Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.

Ezekiel 44:24
In a controversy they shall stand to judge; according to my ordinances shall they judge it: and they shall keep my laws and my statutes in all my appointed feasts; and they shall make my sabbaths holy.

Mark 2:27
He said to them, "The sabbath was made for man, not man for the sabbath.

Hebrews 4:9
There remains therefore a sabbath rest for the people of God.
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2012 5:40:28 AM
At 10/15/2012 5:09:53 AM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:
"Love God and Neighbor!"

Me Composer the ongoing successful Cult buster: 1. Interesting because Story book jebus was an eternal Jew, so catholics aren't genuine followers apparently?

2. catholics apparently still must keep their version of the Jewish Sabbath they have conveniently named - The lords day/ Sabbath version 2 catholic style? LOL
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2012 5:48:08 AM
At 10/15/2012 5:40:28 AM, Composer wrote:
Me Composer the ongoing successful Cult buster: 1. Interesting because Story book jebus was an eternal Jew, so catholics aren't genuine followers apparently?

I would like you to prove that, please.

2. catholics apparently still must keep their version of the Jewish Sabbath they have conveniently named - The lords day/ Sabbath version 2 catholic style? LOL

More or less.
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2012 5:51:49 AM
At 10/15/2012 5:39:06 AM, Double_Helix46 wrote:
We know it.
Exodus 20:8
"Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.

OT.

Ezekiel 44:24
In a controversy they shall stand to judge; according to my ordinances shall they judge it: and they shall keep my laws and my statutes in all my appointed feasts; and they shall make my sabbaths holy.

OT.

Mark 2:27
He said to them, "The sabbath was made for man, not man for the sabbath.

Exactly.

Hebrews 4:9
There remains therefore a sabbath rest for the people of God.

Hebrews 4:8

"Now if Joshua had given them rest, he would not have spoken afterwards of another day."
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2012 6:00:48 AM
At 10/15/2012 5:48:08 AM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:
At 10/15/2012 5:40:28 AM, Composer wrote:

At 10/15/2012 5:48:08 AM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:
I would like you to prove that, please.

Me Composer the ongoing successful Cult buster: Ok, so I'll get YOU to support my proofs -

My Question to YOU: " Was Story book jebus born a Jew? "
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2012 6:01:57 AM
At 10/15/2012 6:00:48 AM, Composer wrote:
Me Composer the ongoing successful Cult buster: Ok, so I'll get YOU to support my proofs -

That's not really what I asked.

Can you prove that "story book jebus" was an "eternal jew"?

It doesn't matter whether or not I support your proofs, because I'm just as capable of being wrong as the next guy.
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2012 6:24:56 AM
At 10/15/2012 6:23:28 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Dogknox is my favorite poe on this site.

Dogknox is legitimate. Either that, or he's the most dedicated person in the world.

If you search the internet, you'll find he was on many, many forums before this one.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2012 12:17:27 AM
At 10/15/2012 6:24:56 AM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:

Dogknox is legitimate. Either that, or he's the most dedicated person in the world.

If you search the internet, you'll find he was on many, many forums before this one.

What happened? Did they all run him off?
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2012 1:13:10 AM
At 10/16/2012 12:17:27 AM, annanicole wrote:
At 10/15/2012 6:24:56 AM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:

What happened? Did they all run him off?

Good question. I don't know.
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2012 7:40:17 PM
At 10/15/2012 6:01:57 AM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:
At 10/15/2012 6:00:48 AM, Composer wrote:

At 10/15/2012 6:01:57 AM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:: That's not really what I asked.

Me Composer the ongoing successful Cult buster: You are another dope incapable of even keeping up!

I ASKED THAT QUESTION! IF YOU WERE PAYING ATTENTION YOU WOULD KNOW THAT!

At 10/15/2012 6:01:57 AM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote
Can you prove that "story book jebus" was an "eternal jew"?

Me Composer the ongoing successful Cult buster: YES! Using your preferred Story book I most certainly shall hence my question to YOU!

" Was Story book jebus born a Jew? "

At 10/15/2012 6:01:57 AM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote
It doesn't matter whether or not I support your proofs, because I'm just as capable of being wrong as the next guy.

Me Composer the ongoing successful Cult buster: Alleged 2000+ years of catholic Johnny Come Lately holy-sprit guidance & Papal succession and you admit your Cult can still preach lies and false teachings? LOL!

You & your latest Cults credibility remains a constant zero!
Dogknox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2012 5:04:51 PM
The NEW Commandment is Greater then the old!

Matthew 13:52
He said to them, "Therefore every teacher of the law who has become a disciple in the kingdom of heaven is like the owner of a house who brings out of his storeroom new treasures as well as old."

The CHRISTIAN has NEW LAWS of the heart!!
Love is the new treasure!! (above)

Luke 5:37
And no one pours new wine into old wineskins. Otherwise, the new wine will burst the skins; the wine will run out and the wineskins will be ruined.
38 No, new wine must be poured into new wineskins.
39 And no one after drinking old wine wants the new, for they say, "The old is better.""

The JEWS do not want the "NEW LAW" of "LOVE God and Neighbor"! They say "the old is better"!

They reject God' NEW COMMAND you; "MUST LOVE!"

Christians have embraced God's new commandment and also keep the Old Testament Ten!

Dogknox
DanielChristopherBlowes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2012 5:11:59 PM
At 10/19/2012 5:04:51 PM, Dogknox wrote:

He said to them, "Therefore every teacher of the law who has become a disciple in the kingdom of heaven is like the owner of a house who brings out of his storeroom new treasures as well as old."

And no one pours new wine into old wineskins. Otherwise, the new wine will burst the skins; the wine will run out and the wineskins will be ruined.
39 And no one after drinking old wine wants the new, for they say, "The old is better.""

The JEWS do not want the "NEW LAW" of "LOVE God and Neighbor"! They say "the old is better"!

Christians have embraced God's new commandment and also keep the Old Testament Ten!

Dogknox

"The law was given through Moses but grace and truth came through Jesus Christ"

However, there's going to be a great revival of the Jews in these last days.

And remember:

"Whoever curses my people I will curse and whoever blesses them I will bless"
Everyone on the side of Truth listens to Me. (Jesus Christ)
Dogknox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2012 5:29:18 PM
At 10/19/2012 5:11:59 PM, DanielChristopherBlowes wrote:

Dogknox

And remember:

DanielChristopherBlowes Yes.. You can quote scriptures...

I reply: God' People are "IN" the Holy Catholic Church!

LOOK...
Romans was written when there was ONLY ONE PEOPLE of God.. Jesus' Holy Catholic Peoples are ALL CHRISTIANS!
All the Early Church Father' were CATHOLIC'S!
The "US" and the "OUR" & the "WE" (below) can only be CATHOLIC's, there was NO Other peoples for sixteen Hundred years after Romans was written!
DanielChristopherBlowes The Other people' that arrived sixteen Hundred Years after Jesus wrote Romans .. were in PROTEST against Jesus and his Bride.. they were the "de-Formers" they LEFT Jesus' body they are NOT part of the; "US, WE & OURS"!

Romans 8:26
In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans.
27 And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit i intercedes for God"s people in accordance with the will of God.

DO YOU SEE IT?? "The Spirit i intercedes for God"s people"

The man in Protest... The prodigy of the "De-Formation" had better take heed!

Dogknox
DanielChristopherBlowes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2012 5:38:04 PM
At 10/19/2012 5:29:18 PM, Dogknox wrote:
At 10/19/2012 5:11:59 PM, DanielChristopherBlowes wrote:

Dogknox

And remember:

DanielChristopherBlowes Yes.. You can quote scriptures...

I reply: God' People are "IN" the Holy Catholic Church!

LOOK...
Romans was written when there was ONLY ONE PEOPLE of God.. Jesus' Holy Catholic Peoples are ALL CHRISTIANS!
All the Early Church Father' were CATHOLIC'S!
The "US" and the "OUR" & the "WE" (below) can only be CATHOLIC's, there was NO Other peoples for sixteen Hundred years after Romans was written!
DanielChristopherBlowes The Other people' that arrived sixteen Hundred Years after Jesus wrote Romans .. were in PROTEST against Jesus and his Bride.. they were the "de-Formers" they LEFT Jesus' body they are NOT part of the; "US, WE & OURS"!

Romans 8:26
In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans.
27 And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit i intercedes for God"s people in accordance with the will of God.

DO YOU SEE IT?? "The Spirit i intercedes for God"s people"

The man in Protest... The prodigy of the "De-Formation" had better take heed!

Dogknox

No, that scripture comes from the Old Testament.

The Catholics, like all denominations have many errors, so show mercy that you may be shown it.

Also, try to make your answers a little more concise.

Q: who are the 144000 in Revelations?
Everyone on the side of Truth listens to Me. (Jesus Christ)
Dogknox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2012 5:51:00 PM
DanielChristopherBlowes
No, that scripture comes from the Old Testament.

The Catholics, like all denominations have many errors, so show mercy that you may be shown it.

Also, try to make your answers a little more concise.

Q: who are the 144000 in Revelations?

I reply: God is the God of both Old & New Testament!!
God's people are CATHOLICS! There was NO others for sixteen Hundred years AFTER Jesus!

The 144,000 are MALE Jews that never have lied, all VIRGINS!!!
Rev 7:4
Then I heard the number of those who were sealed: 144,000 from all the tribes of Israel.

Rev 14:3
And they sang a new song before the throne and before the four living creatures and the elders. No one could learn the song except the 144,000 who had been redeemed from the earth.
4 These are those who did not defile themselves with women, for they remained virgins. They follow the Lamb wherever he goes. They were purchased from among mankind and offered as firstfruits to God and the Lamb.
5 No lie was found in their mouths; they are blameless.

DanielChristopherBlowes DO YOU SEE IT!!?
All the tribes of Israel. JEWS!!!
those who did not defile themselves with women, for they remained virgins. MALE VIRGINS!!!
No lie was found in their mouths; HONEST men who never lie!!!

Catholic's believe the scriptures!!!
Your words.. The Catholics, like all denominations have many errors

God's words..
25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her
26 to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word,
27 and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless.

Do you see it?? God' Holy Catholic Church is BLAMELESS!
Jesus died for her he LOVES HER!

Your words reject Jesus' words!!

Dogknox