Jump to topic:

Christian Rituals

Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2012 10:45:45 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Last night I saw the most RIDICULOUS religious infomercial on BET late at night. It was for No More Evil oil (nomoreeviloil.com), and there was an evil, lying redneck pastor claiming that God was talking to him. He would say the most obscure things you could possibly imagine, and when he correctly guessed that an elderly attendee had arthritis, this was apparently proof that God was speaking to him. These absolute mindless followers were hanging on his every word and doing the HALLELUJAH thing when he claimed that by placing the No More Evil oil on them, they would be cured of every illness, etc. Sure enough one lady who was deaf in one ear had the oil put on her and said that she could magically hear. People were crying, throwing themselves on the floor " the whole 9 yards. It was insane. And pathetic. So today while I was explaining to some co-workers why I"m a voluntaryist and don"t support democracy" because it"s not fair that these fvcking batsh!t crazy people vote and affect policy that dictates my life" another co-worker who sits next to me yelled at me and told me to stop, because she believed in that stuff.

Rather than feel uncomfortable or embarrassed for talking about religion/politics at work when we all know that"s taboo, I"m frustrated that we have to be so sensitive to people"s offenses. Every single person in my department was making fun of Scientology last week and that was perfectly okay, but Allah forbid we criticize the absurdities of Christianity. I also love how people make fun of Hindus and call them "dot heads," yet nobody says a word when Christians walk around with dirt on their forehead on Ash Wednesday. I was in Salem last week and tourists scoffed at Wiccan rituals, yet the crosses on their neck indicated they pray at similar altars. They made fun of the idea that you could "bless" things, yet I"m sure cross themselves with holy water every week which is nothing but water that the priest has "blessed." Let"s be clear: all of you religious people believe in ridiculous bullsh!t. Just because the majority of people in this country are Christian doesn't mean that this religion is any less absurd than the others. I understand the purpose of rituals, but my point is that you have no business insulting those of others when you abide by similar nonsense. I've seen people poke fun of Scientology on this board as well, which is just hilarious coming from Christians.
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2012 10:54:40 AM
Sorry for the weird quotation marks and problems with punctuation. I copied and pasted that from my Facebook status and that's what happened.
President of DDO
stubs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2012 1:37:39 PM
At 10/15/2012 10:45:45 AM, Danielle wrote:
Last night I saw the most RIDICULOUS religious infomercial on BET late at night. It was for No More Evil oil (nomoreeviloil.com), and there was an evil, lying redneck pastor claiming that God was talking to him. He would say the most obscure things you could possibly imagine, and when he correctly guessed that an elderly attendee had arthritis, this was apparently proof that God was speaking to him. These absolute mindless followers were hanging on his every word and doing the HALLELUJAH thing when he claimed that by placing the No More Evil oil on them, they would be cured of every illness, etc. Sure enough one lady who was deaf in one ear had the oil put on her and said that she could magically hear. People were crying, throwing themselves on the floor " the whole 9 yards. It was insane. And pathetic. So today while I was explaining to some co-workers why I"m a voluntaryist and don"t support democracy" because it"s not fair that these fvcking batsh!t crazy people vote and affect policy that dictates my life" another co-worker who sits next to me yelled at me and told me to stop, because she believed in that stuff.

Rather than feel uncomfortable or embarrassed for talking about religion/politics at work when we all know that"s taboo, I"m frustrated that we have to be so sensitive to people"s offenses. Every single person in my department was making fun of Scientology last week and that was perfectly okay, but Allah forbid we criticize the absurdities of Christianity. I also love how people make fun of Hindus and call them "dot heads," yet nobody says a word when Christians walk around with dirt on their forehead on Ash Wednesday. I was in Salem last week and tourists scoffed at Wiccan rituals, yet the crosses on their neck indicated they pray at similar altars. They made fun of the idea that you could "bless" things, yet I"m sure cross themselves with holy water every week which is nothing but water that the priest has "blessed." Let"s be clear: all of you religious people believe in ridiculous bullsh!t. Just because the majority of people in this country are Christian doesn't mean that this religion is any less absurd than the others. I understand the purpose of rituals, but my point is that you have no business insulting those of others when you abide by similar nonsense. I've seen people poke fun of Scientology on this board as well, which is just hilarious coming from Christians.

What do I believe that qualifies as that in bold?
TheAntidoter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2012 2:22:53 PM
At 10/15/2012 2:20:48 PM, InquireTruth wrote:
I remember when I believed I was always right.

I remember when people thought I was always right.
Affinity: Fire
Class: Human
Abilities: ????

Nac.

WOAH, COLORED FONT!
Paradox_7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2012 2:29:52 PM

I agree with most of this.. however, it's like taboo for me to talk about Christianity in public or at work. People can use Christ and God as profanity all day, but if I say 'f@g' or 'thats gay' I get yelled at.
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2012 2:33:18 PM

So is there an argument in here or is it just that you can't cope with the fact that not all religious people are irrational?
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2012 2:39:09 PM
Let"s be clear: all of you religious people believe in ridiculous bullsh!t. Just because the majority of people in this country are Christian doesn't mean that this religion is any less absurd than the others.

Everyone believes in ridiculous bullshit. So what?
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2012 2:41:09 PM

It is absurd to believe that voodoo, wiccan, leprechauns, scientology, zeus and wizards are silly, unreasonable and foolish while Christianity makes sense.
TheAntidoter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2012 2:54:19 PM
At 10/15/2012 2:41:09 PM, twocupcakes wrote:

It is absurd to believe that voodoo, wiccan, leprechauns, scientology, zeus and wizards are silly, unreasonable and foolish while Christianity makes sense.

But what about people who don't believe in voodoo, wiccan, leprechauns, scientology, zeus and Christian but believe in wizards?
Affinity: Fire
Class: Human
Abilities: ????

Nac.

WOAH, COLORED FONT!
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2012 2:56:30 PM
At 10/15/2012 2:54:19 PM, TheAntidoter wrote:

But what about people who don't believe in voodoo, wiccan, leprechauns, scientology, zeus and Christian but believe in wizards?

Same thing. It is absurd to think that Christianity, Zeus and Leprechauns are unreasonable but wizards make sense.
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2012 3:00:23 PM
Some people like to live in fairy tale land. However, itis wrong to think that a personal fairy tale makes sense, while all other fairy tales are silly.
Ahmed.M
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2012 3:09:10 PM
At 10/15/2012 3:00:23 PM, twocupcakes wrote:
Some people like to live in fairy tale land. However, itis wrong to think that a personal fairy tale makes sense, while all other fairy tales are silly.

How do you know that a fairytale doesn't exist?
Archistrategos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2012 3:13:16 PM
So...who's eggshells get stomped and who's do we tip toe around?

Who's butt-hurt is righteous butt-hurt?

None.
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2012 3:15:35 PM

Sure, I suppose a fairy tale could exist. But there is no evidence for them. So, there is nothing wrong with thinking fairy tales are silly. However, it is absurd to believe some fairy tales are reasonable while others are not.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2012 3:17:16 PM
I love conjecture without substance.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
stubs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2012 3:34:44 PM

Would you agree with the statement, "The Christian God is no more probable than zeus." ?
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2012 3:38:35 PM
At 10/15/2012 3:34:44 PM, stubs wrote:

Would you agree with the statement, "The Christian God is no more probable than zeus." ?

Yes
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2012 4:02:49 PM

Welcome to the grown up world. We all have to put up with people that believe differently than we do, having a vote that affects our lives. Many times we view those beliefs as insane ways of thinking, so you're not alone.

Rather than feel uncomfortable or embarrassed for talking about religion/politics at work when we all know that"s taboo, I"m frustrated that we have to be so sensitive to people"s offenses.

Frankly, if I were your boss, I'd offer to buy you a one-way plane ticket out of the country. If you declined, I'd tell you to preach the gospels of your beliefs on your own time, not at work, and that this policy applies to everyone and is non-negotiable.

I'd be unemployed within the day if I went to work and started preaching to my patients and co-workers about Jesus Christ, or talking to them about sexual immorality. Again, you're not the only one who has to watch what they say at work. It sounds to me like you have a pretty liberal workplace environment, so you shouldn't complain. Most of us don't have the freedom to discuss such matters at work, and work isn't the place to preach your own personal beliefs.

Every single person in my department was making fun of Scientology last week and that was perfectly okay, but Allah forbid we criticize the absurdities of Christianity. I also love how people make fun of Hindus and call them "dot heads," yet nobody says a word when Christians walk around with dirt on their forehead on Ash Wednesday. I was in Salem last week and tourists scoffed at Wiccan rituals, yet the crosses on their neck indicated they pray at similar altars. They made fun of the idea that you could "bless" things, yet I"m sure cross themselves with holy water every week which is nothing but water that the priest has "blessed." Let"s be clear: all of you religious people believe in ridiculous bullsh!t. Just because the majority of people in this country are Christian doesn't mean that this religion is any less absurd than the others. I understand the purpose of rituals, but my point is that you have no business insulting those of others when you abide by similar nonsense. I've seen people poke fun of Scientology on this board as well, which is just hilarious coming from Christians.
Paradox_7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2012 4:06:40 PM

It is absurd to believe that voodoo, wiccan, leprechauns, scientology, zeus and wizards are silly, unreasonable and foolish while atheism makes sense.

Ah-ha!.. lol
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
Ahmed.M
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2012 4:07:17 PM
At 10/15/2012 3:15:35 PM, twocupcakes wrote:

Sure, I suppose a fairy tale could exist. But there is no evidence for them. So, there is nothing wrong with thinking fairy tales are silly. However, it is absurd to believe some fairy tales are reasonable while others are not.

abscence of evidence is not evidence of abscence. Also you can't know for sure a fairytale doesn't exist unless you know of a contradiction against it or you know everything.
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2012 4:20:30 PM

It is absurd to believe that voodoo, wiccan, leprechauns, scientology, zeus and wizards are silly, unreasonable and foolish while atheism makes sense.

Ah-ha!.. lol

"It is absurd to believe that the supernatural is foolish, while atheism makes sense" Is this your contention? In order to believe in atheism, one must believe that the supernatural is unreasonable. It is not absurd to disregard the supernatural if one is an atheist.
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2012 4:22:38 PM
At 10/15/2012 4:07:17 PM, Ahmed.M wrote:

abscence of evidence is not evidence of abscence. Also you can't know for sure a fairytale doesn't exist unless you know of a contradiction against it or you know everything.

Yes, there is no evidence of absence for all supernatural like zeus, Jesus, FSM, and Leprechauns. So if one believes Jesus is true, they must believe that everything else could be true.
DanielChristopherBlowes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2012 4:36:41 PM
At 10/15/2012 10:54:40 AM, Danielle wrote:
Sorry for the weird quotation marks and problems with punctuation. I copied and pasted that from my Facebook status and that's what happened.

Perhaps you'd be happier at rant.com or polemic.org.. ;D
Everyone on the side of Truth listens to Me. (Jesus Christ)
Paradox_7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2012 5:28:32 PM
At 10/15/2012 4:20:30 PM, twocupcakes wrote:

Ah-ha!.. lol

"It is absurd to believe that the supernatural is foolish, while atheism makes sense" Is this your contention? In order to believe in atheism, one must believe that the supernatural is unreasonable. It is not absurd to disregard the supernatural if one is an atheist.

In order to believe in Christianity, one must believe that it's the only true faith. It is not absurd to disregard other religions if one is a Christian.
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2012 5:34:48 PM
At 10/15/2012 4:22:38 PM, twocupcakes wrote:
At 10/15/2012 4:07:17 PM, Ahmed.M wrote:

Yes, there is no evidence of absence for all supernatural like zeus, Jesus, FSM, and Leprechauns. So if one believes Jesus is true, they must believe that everything else could be true.

If I admit that I can't disprove the existence of the FSM, how does that effect a non-believer in Christ so drastically that they would need to lash out against me, or publicly ridicule my belief??
Archistrategos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2012 7:04:41 PM
At 10/15/2012 5:34:48 PM, medic0506 wrote:
If I admit that I can't disprove the existence of the FSM, how does that effect a non-believer in Christ so drastically that they would need to lash out against me, or publicly ridicule my belief??

Not very Christ-like...he would invite the person into a conversation.
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2012 7:21:15 PM
At 10/15/2012 7:04:41 PM, Archistrategos wrote:

Not very Christ-like...he would invite the person into a conversation.

That's essentially what I'm trying to do by first asking him to examine why someone's belief in Christ is a bother to him, or affects his life in some negative way.
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2012 8:23:53 PM

In order to believe in Christianity, one must believe that it's the only true faith. It is not absurd to disregard other religions if one is a Christian.

"I can't believe those Irish farmers make circles of rocks in their fields to encourage Leprechauns to use magic to help their crops grow! What Yahoos! Clearly, instead, they should make a cross out of wood, then fold there hands to ask for help from an arab man who was executed and came back to life 2000 years ago."

If one believes in supernatural activity, it is absurd to think that only a certain supernatural phenomena is reasonable while dismissing the rest as silly. As other supernatural is believed for the same reasons. There is no evidence for any supernatural over other supernatural.

However, if one takes the atheistic/agnostic stance it is consistent to reject all supernatural.
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2012 8:32:08 PM
At 10/15/2012 7:21:15 PM, medic0506 wrote:
At 10/15/2012 7:04:41 PM, Archistrategos wrote:

I never said that people need to lash out at you in public. IDK where that came from. I was just pointing out a logical inconsistency, how believers should not dismiss other beliefs as silly.

That's essentially what I'm trying to do by first asking him to examine why someone's belief in Christ is a bother to him, or affects his life in some negative way.

I can't comprehend as to how someone can be so sure about supernatural activity as too ridicule other supernatural beliefs, yet be 100% sure in their own supernatural beliefs. As no evidence can confirm either.