Jump to topic:

Other Beliefs

revdox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2012 7:54:37 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
What do you think of paganism and neopaganism? Can you support your position on either? Just trying to get a discussion going on something other than Judeo Christian Faiths.
Paradox_7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2012 8:06:21 PM
At 10/16/2012 7:54:37 PM, revdox wrote:
What do you think of paganism and neopaganism? Can you support your position on either? Just trying to get a discussion going on something other than Judeo Christian Faiths.

Do you have anything a little more specific?

pagan typically refers to a cultural religion, or just not Christian..
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2012 8:28:56 PM

Me Composer the ongoing successful Cult buster: My concept is that the Universe as we know it & beyond was created by an alien called Susan & her 12 sisters!

I could be wrong, but so far I have no legitimate evidence disproving my concept!

Cheers!
revdox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2012 8:31:11 PM
At 10/16/2012 8:06:21 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:

True but I left t this broad so people can comment on those pagan beliefs they know something about.

I want to see how this post will evolve or die with people having the option to think with in the confines of what they know,or at least think they know.
revdox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2012 8:34:26 PM
At 10/16/2012 8:28:56 PM, Composer wrote:

Me Composer the ongoing successful Cult buster: My concept is that the Universe as we know it & beyond was created by an alien called Susan & her 12 sisters!

I could be wrong, but so far I have no legitimate evidence disproving my concept!

Cheers!

LOL, Wow 13 girls. That explains a lot. Having 4 sisters myself I know my father and I always went hunting for about a week each month.
Citrakayah
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2012 9:55:05 PM
I know a lot of neopagans/pagans (granted, mostly through online interactions). Pretty much all of them are pleasant people, and I won't deny that their general outlook on life has shaped mine to a small degree.

Nice people, despite being unfairly maligned.
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2012 11:09:23 PM
I'm a Christian, but I can probably answer any questions about the so called "pagan" beliefs of the Cherokee people, if not, I have practicing relatives I can call.

Any questions?
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2012 11:16:03 PM
At 10/16/2012 11:12:09 PM, FREEDO wrote:
I am Pagan.

I think it's pretty silly.

Lake of fire for you.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2012 11:20:55 PM
At 10/16/2012 11:16:03 PM, Sidewalker wrote:
I am Pagan.

Lake of fire for you.

Look me up when you get there, we'll party.
revdox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2012 12:16:37 AM
At 10/16/2012 11:09:23 PM, Sidewalker wrote:
I'm a Christian, but I can probably answer any questions about the so called "pagan" beliefs of the Cherokee people, if not, I have practicing relatives I can call.

Any questions?

Sure the question is what do you think of those beliefs? Do you find any similarities to yours? Do you feel the belief system in total is the wrong one to follow? If you do why?
revdox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2012 12:20:15 AM
I am Pagan.

I like the honesty in your post. Why do you think it is silly? Do you disagree with something you are being taught, or is it just something you find silly as in a fun way?
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2012 12:24:20 AM

So, would that mean Judaism and Islam are pagan religions?
revdox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2012 12:30:27 AM
At 10/17/2012 12:24:20 AM, s-anthony wrote:

Judaism is a Judeo Christian and Islam is categorized as an Abrahamic Christian faith. I believe. Though I could be wrong, after all I am not omnipotent.
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2012 7:23:54 AM
At 10/17/2012 12:30:27 AM, revdox wrote:

Judaism is a Judeo Christian and Islam is categorized as an Abrahamic Christian faith. I believe. Though I could be wrong, after all I am not omnipotent.

I would love to hear you tell an Orthodox Jew and a Muslim that.
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2012 8:20:52 PM

Judaism is a Judeo Christian and Islam is categorized as an Abrahamic Christian faith. I believe.

Egads, just get over believing that, it couldn't be further from the truth.

Though I could be wrong, after all I am not omnipotent.

Yes, you are quite wrong. All three are considered Abrahamic faiths, of the three only Christianity is Christian.

Christianity is characterized by belief in the Incarnation, Jesus as God or Son of God, his Atoning death by Crucifixion, and his Resurrection. Christians worship Jesus.

Judaism traditionally sees Jesus as a man, but just one of many false Messiahs, other than that he really has no standing in Judaism and is not really considered, the Christian worship of Jesus is considered idolatry in Judaism.

Islam sees Jesus as only a man (a Muslim), but a major prophet, second to Muhammad. They do believe in the virgin birth and miracles, but these were only by the power of God, and they do not believe he was crucified and resurrected. Worship of either Jesus or Muhammad are considered idolatry in Islam.
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2012 8:38:13 PM
At 10/17/2012 12:16:37 AM, revdox wrote:
At 10/16/2012 11:09:23 PM, Sidewalker wrote:

Any questions?

Sure the question is what do you think of those beliefs? Do you find any similarities to yours? Do you feel the belief system in total is the wrong one to follow? If you do why?

I have great respect for those beliefs, and although I consider myself a Christian, I have engaged in some of the traditional practices of my relatives. I'm a strong religious pluralist, I believe the path most faiths take converge on the same mountaintop, so to speak. Most religious believers, especially monotheists, line the various faiths up side by side and draw lines between the different religions or denominations vertically, I draw mine horizontally, between exoteric and esoteric, at the loftier and more esoteric heights, the higher you go up the mountain, so to speak, I believe the various faiths become one.

I also think this belief is completely supported by Christian scripture and is central to the teachings of Jesus, there's certainly not a lot of THAT going around, but I'm rather devout in holding this belief.
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2012 8:46:52 PM

No, they are monotheistic faiths. Pagan historically referred to polytheistic beliefs but it's come to be used as a derogatory term applied to almost any faith the user of the term doesn't like much, but Judaism and Islam are almost never called Pagan faiths, especially not directly to a Jew or Muslim's face.
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2012 8:48:37 PM
At 10/17/2012 7:23:54 AM, s-anthony wrote:

I would love to hear you tell an Orthodox Jew and a Muslim that.

LOL, and you wouldn't do very well telling them they are Pagans either.