Jump to topic:

Enki

DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2012 8:41:45 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
The Sumerians were the first to develop a written language. The Sumerian civilization began in the city of Eridu. Eridu was considered to be built on the home of Enki. Enki's name comes from the words "En" meaning lord, and "Ki" meaning Earth. Enki's name literally meant "lord of Earth". Eniki was God of the seas, and creation. Eniki's name was shortened to Ea, by the Akkadians and Babylonians. Ea became El, who was worshiped by Semitic cultures, such as the Canaanites and the Hebrews. Eniki's symbol was the double-helix snake, similar to the Greek Caduceus. Like Eniki, Poseidon was the God of the Seas. During the Bronze Age po-se-da-wo-ne ("Poseidon") appeared more frequently in text than di-u-ja ("Zeus"), implying that Poseidon was originally Greek's chief God. Poseidon was lord of the Earth, Zeus was the lord of the sky, and Hades was lord of the underworld. Poseidon was often called the Earth Shaker, because he was considered responsible for natural disasters.

The God of the Hebrew religion, El, bears close resemblance Poseidon. When God destroyed the earth he used a flood. When Moses fled Egypt he parted the seas, after which the Hebrews built a statue of a golden bull to honor El. Jonah was swallowed by a fish for defying God. The list goes on.

In the Christian religion, Jesus, the son of God, continued with the Poseidon theme. Jesus walked on water, which was an ability Poseidon was known to grant his children. Jesus turned water into wine. The symbol of Jesus was a fish. Jesus fed 5,000 people with fish, and several of his Apostles were fishermen. Jesus helped pay the temple tax by having Peter catch a fish, and a coin was in the fish's mouth. When Jesus was stabbed on the cross, water came out of his side. Baptism is also an important aspect of Christianity.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2012 9:12:53 PM
I don't know if it's the same with Poseidon but the claims about Jesus being a fabrication of Horus are just wackoff bullsh!t. Almost all of the claims were either very distorted or completely false. Again, I only investigated the Horus claims so maybe these are correct, but I've heard similar feedback about the other accusations.

I just always take these arguments with a grain of salt.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2012 9:33:55 PM
At 10/21/2012 9:12:53 PM, phantom wrote:
I don't know if it's the same with Poseidon but the claims about Jesus being a fabrication of Horus are just wackoff bullsh!t. Almost all of the claims were either very distorted or completely false. Again, I only investigated the Horus claims so maybe these are correct, but I've heard similar feedback about the other accusations.

I just always take these arguments with a grain of salt.

Technically I said אל‎ (El) was the same as Poseidon. Jesus being the son of El, makes him the son of Poseidon. Which comes with specific traits, such as walking on water.
Double_Helix46
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2012 6:26:12 AM
At 10/21/2012 8:41:45 PM, DanT wrote:
Eniki's symbol was the double-helix snake, similar to the Greek Caduceus.:
I have reseached these things alot myself. This is the same symbol as most medical institutes today. Let's think serpent..snake..around our DNA?? Satan is the God of this earth you are right. Angels threw out of heaven are the supposed Gods of these cultures. Many Hebrews did worship these Gods. You have the men that worshipped God of Gods, the Hebrew God, throughout the Bible. Adam to Seth to Enoch to Noah to Abraham to Moses and so on. There were many fish God's also in that period, so it relates to Jesus none.
DanielChristopherBlowes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2012 8:38:10 AM
The Sumerians were the first to develop a written language. The Sumerian civilization began in the city of Eridu. Eridu was considered to be built on the home of Enki. Enki's name comes from the words "En" meaning lord, and "Ki" meaning Earth. Enki's name literally meant "lord of Earth". Eniki was God of the seas, and creation. Eniki's name was shortened to Ea, by the Akkadians and Babylonians. Ea became El, who was worshiped by Semitic cultures, such as the Canaanites and the Hebrews. Eniki's symbol was the double-helix snake, similar to the Greek Caduceus. Like Eniki, Poseidon was the God of the Seas. During the Bronze Age po-se-da-wo-ne ("Poseidon") appeared more frequently in text than di-u-ja ("Zeus"), implying that Poseidon was originally Greek's chief God. Poseidon was lord of the Earth, Zeus was the lord of the sky, and Hades was lord of the underworld. Poseidon was often called the Earth Shaker, because he was considered responsible for natural disasters.

The God of the Hebrew religion, El, bears close resemblance Poseidon. When God destroyed the earth he used a flood. When Moses fled Egypt he parted the seas, after which the Hebrews built a statue of a golden bull to honor El. Jonah was swallowed by a fish for defying God. The list goes on.

In the Christian religion, Jesus, the son of God, continued with the Poseidon theme. Jesus walked on water, which was an ability Poseidon was known to grant his children. Jesus turned water into wine. The symbol of Jesus was a fish. Jesus fed 5,000 people with fish, and several of his Apostles were fishermen. Jesus helped pay the temple tax by having Peter catch a fish, and a coin was in the fish's mouth. When Jesus was stabbed on the cross, water came out of his side. Baptism is also an important aspect of Christianity.

You'll find that most, it not all, of these myths came after Christ: satan is a counterfeiter of the truth.
Everyone on the side of Truth listens to Me. (Jesus Christ)
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2012 10:54:56 AM
Funny thing is, some of the early Christians changed the Christian tradition to fit with the "pagan" religions so that the Romans would be more inclined towards Christianity since it wasn't "so different from theirs". That's why Christians celebrate Jesus birthday on December 25th. Now people like those that made the Zeitgeist movie think it proves the Jesus story is just a plagiarism without realizing that nothing in the Bible even states when Jesus was born.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2012 1:11:41 PM
At 10/22/2012 8:38:10 AM, DanielChristopherBlowes wrote:

You'll find that most, it not all, of these myths came after Christ: satan is a counterfeiter of the truth.

No, Eniki, Ea, El, and Poseidon came before Jesus.
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2012 1:46:23 PM
At 10/22/2012 10:54:56 AM, phantom wrote:
Funny thing is, some of the early Christians changed the Christian tradition to fit with the "pagan" religions so that the Romans would be more inclined towards Christianity since it wasn't "so different from theirs". That's why Christians celebrate Jesus birthday on December 25th. Now people like those that made the Zeitgeist movie think it proves the Jesus story is just a plagiarism without realizing that nothing in the Bible even states when Jesus was born.

That has nothing to do with what I said
DanielChristopherBlowes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2012 1:50:41 PM
At 10/22/2012 1:11:41 PM, DanT wrote:

Depends what you mean.. If you're talking from a Biblical stand point then, NO: all things were made through and for Christ..

If from a historical perspective then I ask when the earliest manuscripts date from?
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2012 2:03:06 PM
At 10/22/2012 6:26:12 AM, Double_Helix46 wrote:
I have reseached these things alot myself. This is the same symbol as most medical institutes today. Let's think serpent..snake..around our DNA?? Satan is the God of this earth you are right.
ha-Satan of the old testament was not a demon. He was an angel who acted as the prosecutor of man. Every time he tested man, it was with God's blessing. In the old testament, he was not the personification of evil, he was simply "the opposer" (the literal translation of ha-satan) of man.

Angels threw out of heaven are the supposed Gods of these cultures. Many Hebrews did worship these Gods.
No, they worshiped El. Take my name for example. Daniel (daniyel), means "god is my judge". It is made up of the words "dan" meaning to judge, and "el" meaning god, gods, or lord.
You have the men that worshipped God of Gods, the Hebrew God, throughout the Bible. Adam to Seth to Enoch to Noah to Abraham to Moses and so on. There were many fish God's also in that period, so it relates to Jesus none.

The fact that the Hebrew god was El, and Jesus was the son of El, means there is a relation. The Phoenicians worshiped Poseidon as a personification of El. El is a derivative of Ea which is the Babylonian word for the Assyrian god Eniki; just as Neptune is the Latin word for the Greek God Poseidon.
DanielChristopherBlowes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2012 2:06:19 PM
At 10/22/2012 2:03:06 PM, DanT wrote:
I have reseached these things alot myself. This is the same symbol as most medical institutes today. Let's think serpent..snake..around our DNA?? Satan is the God of this earth you are right.
ha-Satan of the old testament was not a demon. He was an angel who acted as the prosecutor of man. Every time he tested man, it was with God's blessing. In the old testament, he was not the personification of evil, he was simply "the opposer" (the literal translation of ha-satan) of man.

Angels threw out of heaven are the supposed Gods of these cultures. Many Hebrews did worship these Gods.
No, they worshiped El. Take my name for example. Daniel (daniyel), means "god is my judge". It is made up of the words "dan" meaning to judge, and "el" meaning god, gods, or lord.
You have the men that worshipped God of Gods, the Hebrew God, throughout the Bible. Adam to Seth to Enoch to Noah to Abraham to Moses and so on. There were many fish God's also in that period, so it relates to Jesus none.

The fact that the Hebrew god was El, and Jesus was the son of El, means there is a relation. The Phoenicians worshiped Poseidon as a personification of El. El is a derivative of Ea which is the Babylonian word for the Assyrian god Eniki; just as Neptune is the Latin word for the Greek God Poseidon.

I think Daniel means 'the judgment of God'..
joneszj
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2012 2:30:54 PM

The statue was not to honor YHWH. It was an abomination and the story is pretty clear about that.

DanT, you seem to be taking only certain ideas that fit your though. Also, the 'name' of the Hebrew God is YHWH, not El. El is the singular for Elohim but that is not 'the name' according to the Hebrews (a minor distinction I wanted to note). I believe El is more of a title/placeholder for YHWH.

Also, have you not considered the Theophanys and the Christophanys? If I could offer an 'element' that I could point to that in some manner had the most significance in Hebrew and Christian religion it would be fire / light. Consider the burning bush that was not being consumed with Moses. The chariots of fire, the 4th man in the furnace with Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego who was brighter then the sun, the Transfiguration of Christ, the light the blinded Paul on his was to persecute Christians, the Shikinah Glory of God that was smoke during the day and a blazing fire at night, Abraham's dream of a smoking fire pot and torch of fire that passed through the severed animals signifying what would happen to the one that would break the covenant, or the flaming tongues at pentacost and such. If any element could be attributed to theophanys its fire or light, not water. Sure, God split the seas and flooded the earth with water. I believe in revelations He will do it with fire next time.
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2012 2:31:31 PM
At 10/22/2012 1:50:41 PM, DanielChristopherBlowes wrote:
At 10/22/2012 1:11:41 PM, DanT wrote:

Depends what you mean.. If you're talking from a Biblical stand point then, NO: all things were made through and for Christ..

If from a historical perspective then I ask when the earliest manuscripts date from?

Christ is a title meaning the anointed one. Jesus's real name was Jeshua, or Yeshua since there is no J in the Hebrew alphabet. Yahu comes from the first part of the Tetragrammaton for the proper name of El. The Tetragrammaton is YHWH. Shua means "a cry for help", or "a saving cry". The name Yeshua of Nazareth means save "God is a saving-cry from Nazareth" or "God rescues Nazareth".
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2012 4:16:20 PM
At 10/22/2012 2:30:54 PM, joneszj wrote:

The statue was not to honor YHWH. It was an abomination and the story is pretty clear about that.
The story was clear that it was to honor YHWH, but YHWH was offended because they worshiped the idol instead of him. It's like if you saved a village, and they build a statue of you, and gave that statue gold, and you had to sit and watch as the statue got all the praise and glory.

DanT, you seem to be taking only certain ideas that fit your though. Also, the 'name' of the Hebrew God is YHWH, not El.

It is both. YHWH is El's proper name. There are many names for God in the old testament.

El is the singular for Elohim but that is not 'the name' according to the Hebrews (a minor distinction I wanted to note). I believe El is more of a title/placeholder for YHWH.

When Moses asked for God's name God gave 3 names;
1.) "Ehyeh-Asher-Ehyeh", meaning "I am who I am"
2.) YHWH, meaning "He Creates" (Y means he and HWH indicates connection with creation)
3.) Elohim meaning "the sea god" (ohim means "and the sea"

As I mentioned before, Eniki was the god of creation and god of the seas.

Also, have you not considered the Theophanys and the Christophanys? If I could offer an 'element' that I could point to that in some manner had the most significance in Hebrew and Christian religion it would be fire / light. Consider the burning bush that was not being consumed with Moses.

The burning bush was widely considered to be a dis legomenon mistranslation of mount sinai. The word for bush seneh, and Mt. Sinai was often described as being on fire.
Also although Poseidon was god of the seas, he held other powers as well. Fire in Greek mythology was the domain of the gods. Just as Zeus had the power to cause floods (there were several deluges in Greek mythology), Poseidon had power over fire.
Eniki did not cause the Sumerian deluge either, Enlil (god of storms) did, because mankind was too noisy. Eniki saved Atrahasis from the deluge by instructing him to build a boat.
Fire was seen as divine. Prometheus stole fire from the Gods and gave it to mankind. There are many myths of stealing fire from deities, as the origin of fire.

Heraclitus regarded the soul as being a mixture of fire and water. He also believed fire gave rise to the other elements. Heraclitus said that fire fist transformed the sea, and half the sea transformed into earth, and half the earth transformed into air.

The chariots of fire, the 4th man in the furnace with Shadrach, Meshach, and
Poseidon was also known for his chariot. The Romans considered Neptune god of horses because of his chariot.
Abednego who was brighter then the sun, the Transfiguration of Christ, the light the blinded Paul on his was to persecute Christians,
A.) Gods were known to radiate or glow.
B.) Jesus is the son of God (El/Ea/Eniki/Poseidon). Simply because Constantine decided to go with the theory that Jesus was both the father and the son does not mean he was right.
the Shikinah Glory of God that was smoke during the day and a blazing fire at night, Abraham's dream of a smoking fire pot and torch of fire that passed through the severed animals signifying what would happen to the one that would break the covenant, or the flaming tongues at pentacost and such.
Again fire was sacred in the ancient world, regardless of the deity in question. Further more, the chief deity has control over the lesser deities. Much like God has control over angels, and some angels has control over lesser angels.
If any element could be attributed to theophanys its fire or light, not water. Sure, God split the seas and flooded the earth with water. I believe in revelations He will do it with fire next time.

Fire was sacred regardless of who wielded it. Hephaestus aka Vulcan was considered the god of fire and volcanic eruptions in ancient Greece, but Poseidon had the power to unease cause volcanic eruptions as well. The 3 main deities in Greece was Zeus, Poseidon and Hades. Poseidon could unleash volcanoes without consulting Hephaestus, because Earth was Poseidon's domain. Poseidon was higher in the Olympian hierarchy than Hephaestus. The Minoans attributed their Volcanic eruptions to the "earth Shaker" (Poseidon).
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2012 4:21:43 PM
At 10/22/2012 2:30:54 PM, joneszj wrote:
I believe in revelations

"His head and His hair were white like white wool, [as white] as snow, and His eyes [flashed] like a flame of fire. His feet glowed like burnished (bright) bronze as it is refined in a furnace, and His voice was like the sound of many waters." ~ revelations
Archistrategos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2012 8:36:44 PM
Sumerians also keep the 7th day from work...

Look up Assur who bends the bow of light, fires an arrow of thunder and rides a winged disk of light....compare to the Rider of the White horse in Rev 6:2.

Also Genesis is almost word for Sumerian Enuma Elish. The Hebrews preserved it in near perfect oral tradition for 6000 years before writing it down 4000 years ago as the OT.

Here a tidbit that did not make the translation. "In the beginning" is actually "In a beginning"
truthseeker613
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2012 10:12:55 PM

ater came out of his side. Baptism is also an important aspect of Christiani

Can I get some sources on all this?
http://www.nydailynews.com...

royalpaladin: I'd rather support people who kill spies than a nation that organizes assassination squads (Kidon) to illegally enter into other nations and kill anybody who is not a Zionist. Who knows when they'll kill me for the crime of not supporting Israel?

Koopin: LOL! I just imagine Royal sitting in here apartment at night, when suddenly she hears a man outside speaking Hebrew as sh
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2012 10:54:49 PM

"The God of the Hebrew religion, El, bears close resemblance Poseidon" because water and fish are mentioned in the Bible?

What an incredibly weak argument.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2012 12:39:36 AM
At 10/22/2012 2:06:19 PM, DanielChristopherBlowes wrote:
At 10/22/2012 2:03:06 PM, DanT wrote:

I think Daniel means 'the judgment of God'..

This forum does not allow Hebrew characters, so it limits my ability to show you what I mean.

"Dan" means "to judge" or "to discuss".
http://debate.org...
"Yod" means "the" or "tenth". "Yod" symbolizes "the hand" and is often used to denote "possession".
"Dani" means "the Judge" or "is (my) Judge.
"El" means "God".
Daniel means "God is Judge" or "God is my Judge".
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2012 5:05:25 AM
At 10/25/2012 10:54:49 PM, Sidewalker wrote:

"The God of the Hebrew religion, El, bears close resemblance Poseidon" because water and fish are mentioned in the Bible?

The son of Poseidon walks on water; the son of El walks on water.

Poseidon dealt punishments through natural disasters (Floods, Earthquakes, Volcanic eruptions, ect.), and El dealt punishments through natural disasters.
God flooded the earth, and Poseidon flooded Athens.
God commanded the fish to swallow Jonah, and Poseidon was able to command fish. When Jonah was thrown into the sea, the sea was calmed.
God knocked down Jericho's wall with an earthquake, and Poseidon, the earth shaker, knocked down the walls of Troy prior to the Trojan war, and knocked down the walls of the Greeks during the Trojan war.
Moses was saved by being set afloat on the Nile, and the freed Hebrews were saved by a parting of the sea.
After the parting of the seas, the Hebrews worshiped a statue of a golden bull, as a representation of God. The Bull is a symbol of Poseidon
God also Sweetened the waters of Marah
God allowed Water to be drawn from a rock on several occasions.
Balaam's donkey spoke, and Horses (and therefore donkeys) are a symbol of Poseidon.
God divided the river Jordan.
God supplied Samson with water.
Elijah's prayers were answered with rain. Poseidon is also god of storms.

It's also good to note that Poseidon was worshiped in place of Apollo, prior to the adoption of Apollo. Which is why in myth Apollo and Poseidon are closely linked (such as building the walls of Troy). Before Apollo Poseidon was worshiped at Delphi, and before Apollo paeans were sung to Poseidon. The reason paeans were sung to Apollo is because he is the god of plague. Since the 3 first generation gods were Zeus, Poseidon, and Hades; any earthy plagues would be within Poseidon's domain. Hippocrates even mentioned Poseidon punishing people with epilepsy.

The first 2 of plagues on Egypt was water based;
1.) Turning Water into blood
2.) Masses of frogs came from the Nile

This symbolizes the basic nature of God's power. The plagues that follow are a mix of insects and disease. The ultimate plague is death, symbolizing God's ultimate power over human life. As the plagues get progressively worse, they get progressively harder to disprove.

The the 3 names of God given to Moses was "E'hyeh" (I am), "Y'hveh" (The name of God), and "elohim" (God's genus).
"E'hyeh" can be broken down into "E" (first) and "hayah" (Was). Thus he is the past.
"Y'hveh" can be broken down into "Y" (tenth), and "havah" (Present) Thus he is the present.
"elohim" can be broken down into "El" (God), "H" (the), and "yam" (sea). Thus he is God of the Sea.
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2012 6:22:45 AM
Quick challenge. Go to Google translate and translate "god of the sea" from English into Hebrew. Remove the spaces and what do you get?
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2012 6:44:16 AM
At 10/26/2012 5:05:25 AM, DanT wrote:

Poseidon dealt punishments through natural disasters (Floods, Earthquakes, Volcanic eruptions, ect.), and El dealt punishments through natural disasters.
God commanded the fish to swallow Jonah, and Poseidon was able to command fish. When Jonah was thrown into the sea, the sea was calmed.
God knocked down Jericho's wall with an earthquake, and Poseidon, the earth shaker, knocked down the walls of Troy prior to the Trojan war, and knocked down the walls of the Greeks during the Trojan war.
Moses was saved by being set afloat on the Nile, and the freed Hebrews were saved by a parting of the sea.
After the parting of the seas, the Hebrews worshiped a statue of a golden bull, as a representation of God. The Bull is a symbol of Poseidon
Balaam's donkey spoke, and Horses (and therefore donkeys) are a symbol of Poseidon.

It's also good to note that Poseidon was worshiped in place of Apollo, prior to the adoption of Apollo. Which is why in myth Apollo and Poseidon are closely linked (such as building the walls of Troy). Before Apollo Poseidon was worshiped at Delphi, and before Apollo paeans were sung to Poseidon. The reason paeans were sung to Apollo is because he is the god of plague. Since the 3 first generation gods were Zeus, Poseidon, and Hades; any earthy plagues would be within Poseidon's domain. Hippocrates even mentioned Poseidon punishing people with epilepsy.

This symbolizes the basic nature of God's power. The plagues that follow are a mix of insects and disease. The ultimate plague is death, symbolizing God's ultimate power over human life. As the plagues get progressively worse, they get progressively harder to disprove.

The the 3 names of God given to Moses was "E'hyeh" (I am), "Y'hveh" (The name of God), and "elohim" (God's genus).
"E'hyeh" can be broken down into "E" (first) and "hayah" (Was). Thus he is the past.
"Y'hveh" can be broken down into "Y" (tenth), and "havah" (Present) Thus he is the present.
"elohim" can be broken down into "El" (God), "H" (the), and "yam" (sea). Thus he is God of the Sea.

Don't forget rain, the Bible mentions rain too, and whoa, seasons, seasons has the word sea in it, egads, seasons and rain, and water and fish and frogs, what more proof do you need?

OMG, I just realized something, Moses rhymes with hoses, and there's the Garden of Eden and garden hoses, no way that's just a coincidence.

I just love conspiracy theory scholarship...it's just so...ummmm....scholarly.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2012 7:10:51 AM
At 10/26/2012 6:44:16 AM, Sidewalker wrote:
At 10/26/2012 5:05:25 AM, DanT wrote:

Don't forget rain, the Bible mentions rain too, and whoa, seasons, seasons has the word sea in it, egads, seasons and rain, and water and fish and frogs, what more proof do you need?

OMG, I just realized something, Moses rhymes with hoses, and there's the Garden of Eden and garden hoses, no way that's just a coincidence.

I just love conspiracy theory scholarship...it's just so...ummmm....scholarly.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist. The Etymology of the Hebrew God El, is Enki. "En" means "lord" and "Ki" means earth; hence Enki is the lord of the Earth. Enki is the creator in Sumerian mythology and is a sea god. Elohim literally means "God of the Sea". Whereas Enki's name means "Lord of the Sea", Poseidon's name means "Master of the Earth". Poseidon comes from the Linear B Po-se-da-o, which means "man/husband of the earth". Earth was Poseidon's domain. It is therefore likely that Poseidon and El have a common origin. Many of the Greek gods were inspired by the those in the mid east. Such as Apollo, which was inspired by the God Aplu. Aplu was worshiped during times of plague, much like Apollo. Aplu was also the son of Enlil, lord of storms; Apollo is the son of Zeus, lord of lighting. The Greeks assimilated the later gods of the eastern religion, such as Aplu into their own. The age of Poseidon is hard to date because he was worshiped in prehistoric Greece, but he likely came from the fertile crescent.
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2012 7:11:06 AM
At 10/26/2012 6:22:45 AM, DanT wrote:
Quick challenge. Go to Google translate and translate "god of the sea" from English into Hebrew. Remove the spaces and what do you get?

Again
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2012 2:34:40 PM
"Now the earth was unformed and void, and darkness was upon the face of the deep; and the spirit of God hovered over the face of the waters.... And God said: 'Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.' And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament; and it was so... And God said: 'Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together unto one place, and let the dry land appear.' And it was so. And God called the dry land Earth, and the gathering together of the waters called He Seas; and God saw that it was good. " ~ Genesis, and the Abzu (House of Cosmic Waters).