Jump to topic:

A common mistake..

DanielChristopherBlowes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2012 10:13:11 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I see a common mistake here on this forum; non believers think we believe in God because we believe in the Bible, which is why they're always posting their so called contradictions..

No, we believe the Bible because we have had a revelation of God FIRST.
Everyone on the side of Truth listens to Me. (Jesus Christ)
Rusty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2012 10:36:39 AM
At 10/22/2012 10:13:11 AM, DanielChristopherBlowes wrote:
I see a common mistake here on this forum; non believers think we believe in God because we believe in the Bible, which is why they're always posting their so called contradictions..

Oh my gosh, I knew it! First it was the beard, I was thinking to myself, "Self, that reminds me a lot of that blurry bearded man that DATCMATO used to have for his profile picture." And then yesterday I noticed that you were the most recent poster in about eight of the threads. My mind is now put to rest.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2012 10:48:41 AM
At 10/22/2012 10:36:39 AM, Rusty wrote:

Oh my gosh, I knew it! First it was the beard, I was thinking to myself, "Self, that reminds me a lot of that blurry bearded man that DATCMATO used to have for his profile picture." And then yesterday I noticed that you were the most recent poster in about eight of the threads. My mind is now put to rest.

Yeah lol. I thought it seemed suspiciously similar to him when I first saw him posting before he put it in his sig.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2012 12:39:23 PM

Do you think the Christian god reveals himself to people in parts of the world that have no churches and no bibles? Waste of time really, since they wouldn't know who he was even he did reveal himself, and they couldn't do anything about it anyway. Probably just lets the savages go to hell then, I suppose.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
DanielChristopherBlowes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2012 1:28:26 PM
At 10/22/2012 10:36:39 AM, Rusty wrote:

You only had to read my sig..
DanielChristopherBlowes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2012 1:39:41 PM
At 10/22/2012 12:39:23 PM, brian_eggleston wrote:

Do you think the Christian god reveals himself to people in parts of the world that have no churches and no bibles? Waste of time really, since they wouldn't know who he was even he did reveal himself, and they couldn't do anything about it anyway. Probably just lets the savages go to hell then, I suppose.

Well, there's an answer to that too; there is a direct lineage of salvation from Jesus Christ to me and every believer..

There are nations where the King accepted the gospel or where it was not ruthlessly stamped out and so it flourished.. and there are nations where the opposite happened.

We see that, apart from the Middle East (where God's promise to Abraham regarding Ishmael is in effect) the most prosperous countries have been Protestant, then Catholic and then other faiths with outright demon worship bringing nothing but poverty and slavery.

However, God has not forgotten these countries; amazing evangelism work is being done in Africa and countries like India are now slowly escaping centuries of economic hardship.
stubs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2012 5:46:16 PM
At 10/22/2012 12:39:23 PM, brian_eggleston wrote:

Do you think the Christian god reveals himself to people in parts of the world that have no churches and no bibles?

Yes

Waste of time really, since they wouldn't know who he was even he did reveal himself, and they couldn't do anything about it anyway.

You don't think an all powerful God couldn't make himself known to someone who has never heard of him?

Probably just lets the savages go to hell then, I suppose.

That's more of a long answer and there has been lots of threads on that.
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2012 7:50:20 PM
The thing is, most people don't care if you believe in God until you start imposing biblical dogma on other people.

God isn't the problem, militant religion is.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
emospongebob527
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2012 8:09:44 PM
At 10/22/2012 7:50:20 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:
The thing is, most people don't care if you believe in God until you start imposing biblical dogma on other people.

That was very well said RyuuKyuzo.
"not to toot my own horn (it aint need no tooin if u know what im saying), but my writings on "viciousness: the one true viture (fancy spelling for virtue)" and my poem "A poem I wrote about DDO" put me in a class of my damn own. im just an UNRECONGIZED geniuse" -bananafana
emospongebob527
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2012 8:12:43 PM
God can exist without the Bible but the God argument would probably be less prevalent due to the spread of Christianity into Western Civilization.
"not to toot my own horn (it aint need no tooin if u know what im saying), but my writings on "viciousness: the one true viture (fancy spelling for virtue)" and my poem "A poem I wrote about DDO" put me in a class of my damn own. im just an UNRECONGIZED geniuse" -bananafana
Paradox_7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2012 8:30:19 PM
At 10/22/2012 7:50:20 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:

This ^

However, ones world-view dictates their position on most issues. If there is a vote on something, and their word-view is in agreement with it, they will vote in favor.

Is someone NOT supposed to vote for it, because people have different opinions? Isn't this why people vote?
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
Double_Helix46
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2012 1:21:59 AM
John 8:47
"He that is of God heareth God's words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God."

1 John 2:5
"But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him."

John 1:1
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."

You can not seperate the Word of God from God. For the Word is also of God. We given the Word because in it we find truth.
Dogknox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2012 6:46:01 PM
DanielChristopherBlowes you said..

Augustine believes the BIBLE!!
Augustine tells you DanielChristopherBlowes a non-believer... Jesus carried his own flesh in his hands at the Last Supper!
"Christ was carried in his own hands when, referring to his own body, he said, "This is my body" [Matt. 26:26]. For he carried that body in his hands" (Explanations of the Psalms 33:1:10 [A.D. 405]).

Christians believe the bible!!
Protestants do not!
"My flesh is real food my blood is real drink"!

Dogknox
DanielChristopherBlowes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2012 12:01:28 AM
At 10/23/2012 6:46:01 PM, Dogknox wrote:

Augustine tells you DanielChristopherBlowes a non-believer... Jesus carried his own flesh in his hands at the Last Supper!
"Christ was carried in his own hands when, referring to his own body, he said, "This is my body" [Matt. 26:26]. For he carried that body in his hands" (Explanations of the Psalms 33:1:10 [A.D. 405]).

Protestants do not!

Dogknox

Calling me a non believer is a trespass I forgive that He may forgive me mine.. (Many)
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2012 12:21:55 AM

Can a person believe in God, having never read the Christian bible? If so, how would he, or she, know it's the right god?
Double_Helix46
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2012 12:32:27 AM
At 10/24/2012 12:21:55 AM, s-anthony wrote:

Can a person believe in God, having never read the Christian bible? If so, how would he, or she, know it's the right god?:

There are a variety of God's to choose but only one true God and that is the Christian God. I believe there many people who have been influenced by God without ever reading or knowing about the Bible. Though the fact remains if that God is the Christian God then those things that were influenced would agree with the Bible also. God would not contradict His word regardless if the person has read it or not.
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2012 8:51:54 AM
At 10/24/2012 12:32:27 AM, Double_Helix46 wrote:
There are a variety of God's to choose but only one true God and that is the Christian God. I believe there many people who have been influenced by God without ever reading or knowing about the Bible. Though the fact remains if that God is the Christian God then those things that were influenced would agree with the Bible also. God would not contradict His word regardless if the person has read it or not.

So, it's the Christian religion that defines "God". If God cannot contradict the Christian bible, then, God is bound by the Bible. The Bible limits, by definition, who and what God is. It makes God small enough to put in a box.
DanielChristopherBlowes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2012 9:20:34 AM
At 10/24/2012 12:21:55 AM, s-anthony wrote:

Can a person believe in God, having never read the Christian bible? If so, how would he, or she, know it's the right god?

Any Revelation must agree with God's word..

It's another testimony.
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2012 9:32:59 AM
At 10/24/2012 9:20:34 AM, DanielChristopherBlowes wrote:

It's another testimony.

So, "God" is defined by the Christian bible. In other words, God is bound on all sides by the Bible.
Double_Helix46
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2012 10:00:48 AM
At 10/24/2012 9:32:59 AM, s-anthony wrote:
At 10/24/2012 9:20:34 AM, DanielChristopherBlowes wrote:

It's another testimony.

So, "God" is defined by the Christian bible. In other words, God is bound on all sides by the Bible.:

It is you who is trying to confine God. You are making ultimatums for God. God knows no bounds. God gave us His word to give us understanding of Him. God will not contradict it.
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2012 10:28:53 AM
At 10/24/2012 10:00:48 AM, Double_Helix46 wrote:
It is you who is trying to confine God. You are making ultimatums for God. God knows no bounds. God gave us His word to give us understanding of Him. God will not contradict it.

How am I trying to confine God? What are the ultimatums I'm giving God?

God knows no bounds but is bound to the Christian bible? This is a contradiction, in and of itself.
Double_Helix46
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2012 10:55:18 AM
At 10/24/2012 10:28:53 AM, s-anthony wrote:
At 10/24/2012 10:00:48 AM, Double_Helix46 wrote:

God knows no bounds but is bound to the Christian bible? This is a contradiction, in and of itself.:

There goes your ultimatum and bounding. Your the one saying God is bound by the Bible. Read up in my previous post.

"God knows no bounds. God gave us His word to give us understanding of Him. God will not contradict it."

God is not bound by the Bible. The Bible is just our best understanding of Him. The Bible is His Words to us about Him. He is not bound by it but the Bible states facts about Him. Therefore He will not go against what He has given us about Him in the Bible because it is the truth about Him. He does not change.
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2012 11:26:50 AM
At 10/24/2012 10:55:18 AM, Double_Helix46 wrote:

God knows no bounds but is bound to the Christian bible? This is a contradiction, in and of itself.:

There goes your ultimatum and bounding. Your the one saying God is bound by the Bible. Read up in my previous post.

No. I'm not the one saying God is bound to the Bible; you are. In saying God cannot contradict the Christian bible, you are in effect saying God is tied down to that which is written in the Christian canon. In other words, God is defined by your religion. To define something means to demarcate something, to set limits and boundaries as to its meaning. Your religion limits and binds your god.

"God knows no bounds. God gave us His word to give us understanding of Him. God will not contradict it."

God is not bound by the Bible. The Bible is just our best understanding of Him. The Bible is His Words to us about Him. He is not bound by it but the Bible states facts about Him. Therefore He will not go against what He has given us about Him in the Bible because it is the truth about Him. He does not change.

If God is not delimited by the Bible, then, other truths about God exist outside of the Christian canon. The Christian religion doesn't contain all there is to know about God, and God is not found only in the precepts of the Christian faith.
pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2012 11:36:20 AM
At 10/24/2012 11:26:50 AM, s-anthony wrote:
At 10/24/2012 10:55:18 AM, Double_Helix46 wrote:
In saying God cannot contradict the Christian bible, you are in effect saying God is tied down to that which is written in the Christian canon. In other words, God is defined by your religion. To define something means to demarcate something, to set limits and boundaries as to its meaning. Your religion limits and binds your god.
If God is not delimited by the Bible, then, other truths about God exist outside of the Christian canon. The Christian religion doesn't contain all there is to know about God, and God is not found only in the precepts of the Christian faith.

Combine everything like this and I agree entirely
Double_Helix46
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2012 11:38:19 AM
At 10/24/2012 11:26:50 AM, s-anthony wrote:
No. I'm not the one saying God is bound to the Bible; you are. In saying God cannot contradict the Christian bible, you are in effect saying God is tied down to that which is written in the Christian canon. In other words, God is defined by your religion. To define something means to demarcate something, to set limits and boundaries as to its meaning. Your religion limits and binds your god.:

Yes you are saying that and Christians should never claim such things.

If God is not delimited by the Bible, then, other truths about God exist outside of the Christian canon. The Christian religion doesn't contain all there is to know about God, and God is not found only in the precepts of the Christian faith.:

Other truth exist about God do exist outside the Bible indeed. Though God inspired the Bible and it is His description of himself and His purpose for us. Therefore He has not limited himself to it but have given us a limited description of Him(as limited as it is of Him). You are seeing things backwards. We can not know the characteristics of God unless He shows them to us and the Bible is that. Therefore our knowledge of God is limited to the Bible and the Holy Spirit. Though God is not bound by our knowledge of Him.
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2012 1:00:22 PM
At 10/24/2012 11:38:19 AM, Double_Helix46 wrote:
Other truth exist about God do exist outside the Bible indeed. Though God inspired the Bible and it is His description of himself and His purpose for us. Therefore He has not limited himself to it but have given us a limited description of Him(as limited as it is of Him). You are seeing things backwards. We can not know the characteristics of God unless He shows them to us and the Bible is that. Therefore our knowledge of God is limited to the Bible and the Holy Spirit. Though God is not bound by our knowledge of Him.

Other truths about God exist outside of the Bible; yet, we cannot know them, unless we find them in the Bible. What kind of double talk is this?

If our knowledge of God is limited to the Christian bible, how can we know God is not bound by our knowledge? If all you know of God is found in the Bible, then, what do you know of God that isn't? To say there is knowledge of God that you are not aware of is a contradiction in terms. You can't know that which you don't know.
Double_Helix46
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2012 2:24:08 PM
At 10/24/2012 1:00:22 PM, s-anthony wrote:
Other truths about God exist outside of the Bible; yet, we cannot know them, unless we find them in the Bible. What kind of double talk is this? :
It is not double talk, it is a inability to understand.

If our knowledge of God is limited to the Christian bible, how can we know God is not bound by our knowledge?:
The Bible says so. The Bible say's that Gis limitless and that the Bible is God's way of communicating who He is to us.
If all you know of God is found in the Bible, then, what do you know of God that isn't?:
I do not know anything of God that is not in the Bible or that His Spirit has not revealed to me. But on God in general I know what the Bible says.
To say there is knowledge of God that you are not aware of is a contradiction in terms. You can't know that which you don't know.:
Well, the Bible tells me so. Like I have said God gave us the Bible to understand Him. The Bible say's God knows no bounds(this includes the Bible). I do not know all of that because I have bounds but God let me know He has none.
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2012 2:29:45 PM

Really?

I believe in God for absolutely no good reason. I'm completely serious. I've never had any 'revelation'. I've never had any blatantly supernatural experience that would cause me to believe in God.
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
DanielChristopherBlowes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2012 4:26:49 PM
At 10/24/2012 2:29:45 PM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:

Really?

I believe in God for absolutely no good reason. I'm completely serious. I've never had any 'revelation'. I've never had any blatantly supernatural experience that would cause me to believe in God.

Because you were brought up Catholic perhaps?
Dogknox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2012 9:07:08 PM
At 10/24/2012 12:01:28 AM, DanielChristopherBlowes wrote:
At 10/23/2012 6:46:01 PM, Dogknox wrote:

Protestants do not!

Dogknox

Calling me a non believer is a trespass I forgive that He may forgive me mine.. (Many)
DanielChristopherBlowes Do you believe the bible!!??

Do you believe as Saint Augustine???
Do you believe all the words of Jesus?
Do you believe God' TEACHING!!!!?? Verse 45 to verse 59 (minus verse 52)!!!? I remind you God can't teach lies!

45 It is written in the Prophets: "They will all be taught by God." Everyone who has heard the Father and learned from him comes to me. 46 No one has seen the Father except the one who is from God; only he has seen the Father. 47 Very truly I tell you, the one who believes has eternal life. 48 I am the bread of life. 49 Your ancestors ate the manna in the wilderness, yet they died. 50 But here is the bread that comes down from heaven, which anyone may eat and not die. 51 I am the living bread that came down from heaven. Whoever eats this bread will live forever. This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world."

52 Then the Jews began to argue sharply among themselves, "How can this man give us his flesh to eat?"

53 Jesus said to them, "Very truly I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. 54 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day. 55 For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink. 56 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in them. 57 Just as the living Father sent me and I live because of the Father, so the one who feeds on me will live because of me. 58 This is the bread that came down from heaven. Your ancestors ate manna and died, but whoever feeds on this bread will live forever."
59 He said this while teaching in the synagogue in Capernaum.

DanielChristopherBlowes the Jews in verse 52 understood Jesus TEACHING well enough to say..."How can this man give us his flesh to eat?"

These Jews rejected the teaching also..
60 On hearing it, many of his disciples said, "This is a hard teaching. Who can accept it?"

Look what Jesus tells them..
63 The Spirit gives life; the flesh counts for nothing. The words I have spoken to you"they are full of the Spirit and life.

The words I have spoken PAST TENSE!!!!
The words Jesus >HAD< spoke is the TEACHING!!!!!!!!!!!!

These Jews accept the TEACHING!!!
68 Simon Peter answered him, "Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life.
69 We have come to believe and to know that you are the Holy One of God."

DanielChristopherBlowes The Apostles are Catholic's!
They are CHRISTIANS, Saint Augustine is CHRISTIAN!!!

I am CHRISTIAN!!!
You are NOT, Christians believe the words of Jesus!!!!
JEWS are NOT Christian!!
52 Then the Jews AND..DanielChristopherBlowes began to argue sharply among themselves, "How can this man give us his flesh to eat?"