Jump to topic:

Questions about evolution

medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2012 10:17:53 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
These questions are for evolutionists, those who believe that all plant and animal life descended from a common ancestor, and that God played no role in our origin.

Doesn"t the theory of evolution assume abiogenesis if all species are believed to have descended from a common ancestor??

Did abiogenesis happen in just one place, or did it happen the same way all around the world around the same time??

Wouldn"t evolution have to have produced the exact same mutations in every case, the world over, for evolution to work the way it"s claimed??

Do you know what the first common ancestor for all plant and animal life is??

Can you explain the process by which organisms evolved from asexual reproduction, to sexual reproduction??

Wouldn"t this change necessitate that both male and female be made simultaneously??

Does the geologic column exist anywhere in the world??

If it is fact, then how do you explain the existence of petrified trees running through numerous different layers??

When fossils are found, how is it determined that that animal descended from previously found animals that aren"t the same??

I"m sure there will be more but this is enough to start with.
DanielChristopherBlowes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2012 11:51:08 AM
At 10/23/2012 10:17:53 AM, medic0506 wrote:
These questions are for evolutionists, those who believe that all plant and animal life descended from a common ancestor, and that God played no role in our origin.

Doesn"t the theory of evolution assume abiogenesis if all species are believed to have descended from a common ancestor??

Did abiogenesis happen in just one place, or did it happen the same way all around the world around the same time??

Wouldn"t evolution have to have produced the exact same mutations in every case, the world over, for evolution to work the way it"s claimed??

Can you explain the process by which organisms evolved from asexual reproduction, to sexual reproduction??

Wouldn"t this change necessitate that both male and female be made simultaneously??

If it is fact, then how do you explain the existence of petrified trees running through numerous different layers??

When fossils are found, how is it determined that that animal descended from previously found animals that aren"t the same??

Down to the end of the corridor, turn left and third door on your right: Science Forum..
Everyone on the side of Truth listens to Me. (Jesus Christ)
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2012 11:56:35 AM
At 10/23/2012 11:51:08 AM, DanielChristopherBlowes wrote:

Down to the end of the corridor, turn left and third door on your right: Science Forum..

The religion forum is where we find the most intelligent and boisterous evolutionists.
DanielChristopherBlowes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2012 12:03:12 PM
At 10/23/2012 11:56:35 AM, medic0506 wrote:

The religion forum is where we find the most intelligent and boisterous evolutionists.

Please don't use 'intelligent' and 'evolutionists' in the same sentence, thank you.
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2012 12:28:07 PM
At 10/23/2012 12:03:12 PM, DanielChristopherBlowes wrote:

Please don't use 'intelligent' and 'evolutionists' in the same sentence, thank you.

lol...I wondered if you would catch my sarcasm there.
pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2012 12:28:39 PM

Why insult someones beliefs?
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2012 1:18:57 PM

I guess the vast majority of our leading scientists are nitwits.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Paradox_7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2012 1:20:31 PM
At 10/23/2012 12:28:39 PM, pozessed wrote:

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
DanielChristopherBlowes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2012 1:24:58 PM

I wasn't, I was insulting those who believe them..
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2012 1:26:24 PM

No. It doesn't care how that common ancestor came to be.

We don't know. Then again, this isn't a question about evolution.

No.

http://scienceblogs.com...

http://en.wikipedia.org...

No. "Female" and "Male" sexes pertain only to multicellular organisms. Sexual reproduction predates gender differences.

All in a single place? I don't believe so. Then again, this isn't a question about evolution.

http://www.talkorigins.org...
Again, not about evolution.

That is not a question that can be answered simply. "An Ancestor's Tale" is a very good book that goes into that subject in several points.

pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2012 1:36:24 PM
At 10/23/2012 1:24:58 PM, DanielChristopherBlowes wrote:

Very Christ like. I love that brotherly Christian promotion
pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2012 1:37:19 PM
At 10/23/2012 1:20:31 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!

You should add DCBs post to your sig, it only adds to the irony.
DanielChristopherBlowes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2012 1:40:35 PM
At 10/23/2012 1:36:24 PM, pozessed wrote:
At 10/23/2012 1:24:58 PM, DanielChristopherBlowes wrote:

Brothers have the same Father..
pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2012 2:00:44 PM
At 10/23/2012 1:40:35 PM, DanielChristopherBlowes wrote:

What are you trying to say?
DanielChristopherBlowes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2012 2:04:33 PM
At 10/23/2012 2:00:44 PM, pozessed wrote:

That only Christians are my brothers.. The people of this world's father is the devil and they want to carry out their fathers desire: to steal, kill and destroy.
pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2012 2:13:31 PM
At 10/23/2012 2:04:33 PM, DanielChristopherBlowes wrote:

That only Christians are my brothers.. The people of this world's father is the devil and they want to carry out their fathers desire: to steal, kill and destroy.

So now your God promotes genocide?
Dan4reason
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2012 2:55:09 PM

No, it only assumes a common ancestor.

Abiogenesis seems to be a rare event. How rare, we don't know. If there is one method of abiogenesis, and this involves a chemical reaction that produces only a small variety of organism types, then abiogenesis can happen all around the world in the same way.

However it did take 1 billion years for abiogenesis to happen so it seems unlikely it started happening many times when before it wasn't happening at all. However, if a change in the environment sparked abiogenesis, then abiogenesis might have happened multiple times all of a sudden.

I don't see why. Evolution works by random mutations creating new information. Natural selection selects good information so over generations, species improve. Population isolation produces speciation so species can start evolving from each other independently.

I guess I don't understand what you are asking or why it refutes evolution.

We are working on that right now. We have some good hypotheses but no strong theories.

The video above can explain it better:

In asexual reproduction, everyone in female. So for sexual reproduction to work, we just need to create males.

It exists all over the world.

This happens when volcanoes bury forests. Also this can happen in swamps that slowly bury trees in them. Also floods can do this.

We cannot tell that one species directly descended from another. We can only say that they are related by a common ancestor who didn't live that long ago. So we can only say whether two species are closely related.

We can tell this by seeing whether two species are closely related. We can say that one species is closely related to the ancestors of another if this species appears before the other and is very similar to it relative to other related species that are ancestral.
DanielChristopherBlowes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2012 3:32:16 PM
At 10/23/2012 2:13:31 PM, pozessed wrote:
At 10/23/2012 2:04:33 PM, DanielChristopherBlowes wrote:

Apropos nothing..
pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2012 4:07:22 PM
At 10/23/2012 3:32:16 PM, DanielChristopherBlowes wrote:

Apropos nothing..
What do you mean by that? I fit it in at the right time?
You said anyone who isn't a Christian is not your brother. In effect that means all non-Christians are not worthy of heaven.
Notice the subliminal blind judgment religion preaches?

Why claim Christianity and act quite hypocritically of the true meaning of all of Gods teachings?
DanielChristopherBlowes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2012 4:11:20 PM
At 10/23/2012 4:07:22 PM, pozessed wrote:

Apropos nothing..
You said anyone who isn't a Christian is not your brother. In effect that means all non-Christians are not worthy of heaven.

Why claim Christianity and act quite hypocritically of the true meaning of all of Gods teachings?

'Not my brother' does not equate with 'will never be' or 'I do not wish you to be' my brother..
pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2012 4:30:52 PM
At 10/23/2012 4:11:20 PM, DanielChristopherBlowes wrote:

Apropos nothing..

'Not my brother' does not equate with 'will never be' or 'I do not wish you to be' my brother..
Does that make it ok?
I'm just trying to find out how to be a good Christian and I decided to use you as my example of the day.
DanielChristopherBlowes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2012 4:43:34 PM
At 10/23/2012 4:30:52 PM, pozessed wrote:
At 10/23/2012 4:11:20 PM, DanielChristopherBlowes wrote:

Apropos nothing..

Does that make it ok?
I'm just trying to find out how to be a good Christian and I decided to use you as my example of the day.

Ok for who? It's how it is; how we are taught in the Bible, to not be unequally yoked, to be in the world but not of it etc..
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2012 5:33:17 PM
At 10/23/2012 1:26:24 PM, drafterman wrote:

No. It doesn't care how that common ancestor came to be.

If you deny God then you must believe that life came from non-life.

We don't know. Then again, this isn't a question about evolution.

Although the processes have different names, non-theistic evo-ists are stuck with life coming from non-life as the only possible explanation. I can't help but wonder how we can say that life evolved from a common ancestor if we don't know how life began in the first place, or what form it took.

No.

http://scienceblogs.com...

That's a "no".

That says it is explained be several competing hypotheses. IOW, they don't know, much less have the ability to prove it.

No. "Female" and "Male" sexes pertain only to multicellular organisms.

Wouldn't that first "male/female" organism have required it's opposite sex counterpart be made at the same time, for the species to multiply??

Sexual reproduction predates gender differences.

Can this be proven scientifically beyond the hypothesis stage, by something more than identifying genes thought to control meiosis??

All in a single place? I don't believe so. Then again, this isn't a question about evolution.

So this column has nothing to do with the fossil identification or the order in which organisms allegedly evolved??

Again, not about evolution.

If claims are made about fossils being found in particular layers and that is used in constructing the evolutionary theory, then it's relevant.

That is not a question that can be answered simply. "An Ancestor's Tale" is a very good book that goes into that subject in several points.

A Dawkins book is one that I won't be reading. Given that 99% of all species that ever lived are now extinct, how can it be said with any certainty that the tracing of fossils from one organism to another is accurate??

It seems to me that the procedure depends on the scientists' translation of the information, and alot of hypothesizing, rather than actual fact.

Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2012 5:42:58 PM

Nope. It assumes a common ancestor but not necessarily abiogenisis.

It could have occurred in many different places. Sea vents, primordial soup, or clay are a few examples.

No. Evolution can proceed in many different ways. A good way of imagining it is if there is a virtually infinite space filled with different mutations with the centre being the common ancestor and every creature near it with a different mutation and so forth. There are billions of ways that evolution can proceed.

I don't think so.

Correct. Dawkins explained this nicely in the "Selfish Gene" when he talked about isogametes and how evolutionary pressures will cause some of the individuals to have larger eggs and others to try and exploit these advantages by having many small gametes. Evolution takes over and you have males and females.

Because there are variations in the fossils found in each layer.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
stubs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2012 5:56:55 PM

Are you implying evolutionist are not intelligent? Surely you believe in micro evolution.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2012 6:00:33 PM
medic0506, they're actually all very good questions (even if, as drafter pointed out, they're not all about evolution). I suggest you read "The Red Queen" and excellent book on the evolution of reproduction.

Here you go: http://www.bookdepository.co.uk...

$14.81, free shipping
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2012 6:01:47 PM

So pretty much the entire biological and geological community is unintelligent? How absurd. Why to theists seem to hate science so much? Also, the term Evolutionist is meaningless. If one acknowledges the truth of the Big Bang theory, do you call them Big Bangists? If one acknowledges the truth of atoms and Atomic theory, do you call them Atomicists? If one acknowledge the truth that the Earth is round (Heliocentric Theory), do you call them Heliocentricists? If you don't use these terms with other accepted theories in the scientific community, then why call someone an Evolutionist who accepts the truth of Evolution?
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2012 6:05:18 PM
Also, just because we don't know every exact detail of something as complex as the origin and evolution of life over billions of years doesn't mean it had to be God. That's what I think you're getting at with this thread medic. You're trying to create a God of the Gaps and it's just annoying.

Muh threads
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2012 6:06:10 PM
At 10/23/2012 6:01:47 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
If one acknowledges the truth of the Big Bang theory, do you call them Big Bangists?

I'm a Big Bangist; ask my fiance. :D :D :D

Muh threads
Double_Helix46
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2012 6:14:05 PM
In effect that means all non-Christians are not worthy of heaven.:
That would be correct. Christians are not worthy. The difference is Christians have accepted Jesus Christ and repented and non-Christians haven't and therefore are not going to gain Heaven until they do.