Total Posts:24|Showing Posts:1-24
Jump to topic:

Language - origins?

The_thinker
Posts: 67
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2009 3:04:41 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
How did the language start, how old is it, why is there so many languages?

Why is the religion (qur'aan) sent in Arabic, the one that we must follow now (which I dont) was that language the first one? I think not.

What is the original language the bible was written in? why doesnt everybody who believes in the bible speaks in that language, Its written in English and Hebrew now.

Again, I am asking question's that some already has convincing answers, I am here to know and get informed from as many sides of the world !

From my research I found this:

According to Genesis 11, all humans spoke the same language immediately following the flood of Noah. The Babylonians began building a tower that would reach into heaven for worshiping the sun, moon, and stars. Basically they were ambitiously striving to make a name for themselves and become equal to God. This decision was both a direct refusal to obey God's command to go out and people the earth as well as a choice to worship God's creations instead of the Lord Himself.

Ok so they start to speak one language after Noahs Ark, ok what did they speak before that?

Angry at their arrogance, God decided to disrupt the work. He mixed up the languages of the workers so that they did not understand one another's speech. The foreman could not understand the workers; the architects could not understand the foreman. They could not carry on building. They packed up and went back to their houses leaving the tower unfinished.

Slowly people found others in their hometowns who spoke the same as themselves. Groups were formed. People who spoke the same language moved away together and each group moved to a different part of the earth. So God scattered the people from the place of the Tower of Babel into all lands over the face of the earth. The story explains that God intentionally scattered mankind into the multiple distinct races that exist today as punishment for their arrogance and for their foolish plan. The Tower of Babel has come to symbolize human sin, foolishness, arrogance, and lack of respect for God.

Ok I need some evidence of this is there any proof that there was a babel tower in iraq, I dont want tablets , I want to see the remains.

There is somewhat clear evidence that Humans originated in Africa (I am still not convinced) then migrated around the world, the Aboriginals of Australia have been there for 60,000 years.
There is also evidence that languages evolved through time, some languages (such as Afrikaans) are only 300 years old, how does this tower myth explain them?

Which is the first language that was used in earth, I doubt it still exists, maybe some drawing the cave men drew, hey I still dont believe that sh*t

how did god (again if he exists) talked to humans the first time they set foot in Earth (BANG THERE IT IS) WHAT WAS IT????

Cheers
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2009 3:14:45 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/3/2009 3:04:41 PM, The_thinker wrote:
How did the language start, how old is it, why is there so many languages?

Animals develop vocal chords to call on help from allies when endangered, to sexually attract a mate, to scare off an attacker for various reasons. We use ours to form a basic language.

I call an apple an apple until it's stuck into my head. Then I move on.


Why is the religion (qur'aan) sent in Arabic, the one that we must follow now (which I dont) was that language the first one? I think not.

Modernisation?


What is the original language the bible was written in? why doesnt everybody who believes in the bible speaks in that language, Its written in English and Hebrew now.

Modernisation. And the fact hat each tribe calls what they find a different word, and as these tribes expand, a general language is agreed upon with different dialects through out the expanding nation.


From my research I found this:

According to Genesis 11, all humans spoke the same language immediately following the flood of Noah. The Babylonians began building a tower that would reach into heaven for worshiping the sun, moon, and stars. Basically they were ambitiously striving to make a name for themselves and become equal to God. This decision was both a direct refusal to obey God's command to go out and people the earth as well as a choice to worship God's creations instead of the Lord Himself.

Angry at their arrogance, God decided to disrupt the work. He mixed up the languages of the workers so that they did not understand one another's speech. The foreman could not understand the workers; the architects could not understand the foreman. They could not carry on building. They packed up and went back to their houses leaving the tower unfinished.

Slowly people found others in their hometowns who spoke the same as themselves. Groups were formed. People who spoke the same language moved away together and each group moved to a different part of the earth. So God scattered the people from the place of the Tower of Babel into all lands over the face of the earth. The story explains that God intentionally scattered mankind into the multiple distinct races that exist today as punishment for their arrogance and for their foolish plan. The Tower of Babel has come to symbolize human sin, foolishness, arrogance, and lack of respect for God.

The story was based around the assumption God lived in heaven. It's not real it's a metaphor and a fledgling religions attempt to explain a big question in ancient civilisation, yadda yadda


Ok so they start to speak one language after Noahs Ark, ok what did they speak before that?

There wasn't a flood.

Ok I need some evidence of this is there any proof that there was a babel tower in iraq, I dont want tablets , I want to see the remains.

It doesn't exist


There is somewhat clear evidence that Humans originated in Africa (I am still not convinced) then migrated around the world, the Aboriginals of Australia have been there for 60,000 years.
There is also evidence that languages evolved through time, some languages (such as Afrikaans) are only 300 years old, how does this tower myth explain them?

Exactly.


Which is the first language that was used in earth, I doubt it still exists, maybe some drawing the cave men drew, hey I still dont believe that sh*t

There was probably a first language, but all language are oral before they are written.


how did god (again if he exists) talked to humans the first time they set foot in Earth (BANG THERE IT IS) WHAT WAS IT????

I'll eave this one to someone delusional.


Cheers

Back at ye *Bad cheesy finger click*
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
regebro
Posts: 1,152
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2009 1:22:50 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/3/2009 3:04:41 PM, The_thinker wrote:
How did the language start, how old is it, why is there so many languages?

Why do you think this question has ANYTHING to do with religion?

Why is the religion (qur'aan) sent in Arabic, the one that we must follow now (which I dont) was that language the first one? I think not.

Your sentences make no sense.

What is the original language the bible was written in?

Hebrew and Greek.

why doesnt everybody who believes in the bible speaks in that language, Its written in English and Hebrew now.

That's amongst the most moronic questions I've seen in my life,

From my research I found this:

According to Genesis 11

That's not research, that's storytelling. The bible is not a textbook on science.

Try again, next time with less stupid.
So prove me wrong, then.
The_thinker
Posts: 67
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2009 7:46:01 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/4/2009 1:22:50 AM, regebro wrote:
At 10/3/2009 3:04:41 PM, The_thinker wrote:
How did the language start, how old is it, why is there so many languages?

Why do you think this question has ANYTHING to do with religion?

Why is the religion (qur'aan) sent in Arabic, the one that we must follow now (which I dont) was that language the first one? I think not.

Your sentences make no sense.

What is the original language the bible was written in?

Hebrew and Greek.

why doesnt everybody who believes in the bible speaks in that language, Its written in English and Hebrew now.

That's amongst the most moronic questions I've seen in my life,

From my research I found this:

According to Genesis 11

That's not research, that's storytelling. The bible is not a textbook on science.

Try again, next time with less stupid.

it makes no sense becuase you dont understand. why bother and and post here?
for a guy in your age you sure have a close minded head.
regebro
Posts: 1,152
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2009 8:11:34 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/4/2009 7:46:01 AM, The_thinker wrote:
it makes no sense becuase you dont understand.

No. I don't understand, because it makes no sense.

why bother and and post here?

That's the first thing I asked *you*.

for a guy in your age you sure have a close minded head.

There are many things wrong with me, but having a closed mind is definitely not one of them.

Now if you want to know about languages, I suggest you post in the science forum, and leave out the biblical references. If you want to do biblical references post here, but leave out the science.

Again: The Bible is not a textbook on science. The Tower of Babel story didn't actually ever happen. Separate languages existed before Babylon was ever built, as a matter of fact. The story is a Hebrew joke. The Hebrew name of the city sounds like the Hebrew name for "confused".
So prove me wrong, then.
The_thinker
Posts: 67
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2009 1:35:44 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/4/2009 8:11:34 AM, regebro wrote:
At 10/4/2009 7:46:01 AM, The_thinker wrote:
it makes no sense becuase you dont understand.

No. I don't understand, because it makes no sense.

why bother and and post here?

That's the first thing I asked *you*.

for a guy in your age you sure have a close minded head.

There are many things wrong with me, but having a closed mind is definitely not one of them.

Now if you want to know about languages, I suggest you post in the science forum, and leave out the biblical references. If you want to do biblical references post here, but leave out the science.

Again: The Bible is not a textbook on science. The Tower of Babel story didn't actually ever happen. Separate languages existed before Babylon was ever built, as a matter of fact. The story is a Hebrew joke. The Hebrew name of the city sounds like the Hebrew name for "confused".

if its ok with you

i like to know if you follow any religion or faith.

if you read my 2 other posts you will understand why made this post.

have a nice day

i am not joking, go read them you'll instantly know what was my point here.
regebro
Posts: 1,152
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2009 2:03:45 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/4/2009 1:35:44 PM, The_thinker wrote:
if its ok with you

It's OK with me, but it's not exactly on topic. :)

i like to know if you follow any religion or faith.

No.

if you read my 2 other posts you will understand why made this post.

have a nice day

i am not joking, go read them you'll instantly know what was my point here.

OK, hang on.....

No, I don't see what your point was here.
So prove me wrong, then.
The_thinker
Posts: 67
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2009 2:36:08 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/4/2009 2:03:45 PM, regebro wrote:
At 10/4/2009 1:35:44 PM, The_thinker wrote:
if its ok with you

It's OK with me, but it's not exactly on topic. :)

i like to know if you follow any religion or faith.

No.

if you read my 2 other posts you will understand why made this post.

have a nice day

i am not joking, go read them you'll instantly know what was my point here.

OK, hang on.....


No, I don't see what your point was here.

I asked out of respect, to know what kind of moronic faith or religion you have lived under.'
Because its not polite to read my post and then write a sentence like: that’s the most moronic question I read in my life.

If you have something good to say then say it, if not, then shut up and go bother other people posts.
I am not here to amuse you or read your opinion.

With an attitude like yours I doubt that you are married.
regebro
Posts: 1,152
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2009 2:55:52 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/4/2009 2:36:08 PM, The_thinker wrote:
Because its not polite

No shite, sherlock!?! Geez, I though it was. I really though I was the pinnacle of politeness. You really gave me something to think about now.

With an attitude like yours I doubt that you are married.

That was the lamest attempt to insult I've ever seen.
So prove me wrong, then.
feverish
Posts: 2,716
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2009 3:15:42 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Hi Thinker, welcome to the site and my apologies for the insults of other users.

This is a site with a lot of well educated members and you can expect to be ridiculed if you have less than perfect spelling and/or grammar and don't present your points clearly.

You have raised some interesting, as well as some obvious questions but I must admit that I also wasn't sure what you were getting at here and had to look at your profile and see that you are agnostic before understanding that you are questioning the authority of religious texts written in ancient languages and their modern interpretations.

Regarding the Christian Bible, the Old Testament was first written in Hebrew (apart from a few sections written in Aramaic) and the New Testament was first written in a middle-eastern dialect of classical Greek.

The translations which have probably had the most historical impact are the Latin Vulgate Bible and the King James Standard English Bible. There are numerous (perhaps more reliable) translations such as the New International Version and the Good News Bible but to hope to gain any true understanding of what is being said in any specific passage you should probably compare different translations.

Etymology is a fascinating subject and as Pervrat said, English is perhaps the most mongrel language of any, presumably because of our history of wave after wave of immigrants merging into our culture (something we have in common with the younger history of our American cousins).

English is a combination of the Teutonic (German and Scandinavian) languages, Latin languages, (most notably French, after the last time we were successfully invaded in 1066) and many more influences from our history of military and cultural conquest.

Words like 'pyjamas' and 'bungalow' are derived from Urdu words for example and this thread has thrown up a great example of Hebrew influencing English, the story of the tower of Babel being the root of the English word 'babble'.
feverish
Posts: 2,716
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2009 3:24:58 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Sorry for double post.

Regarding the first spoken language,there are many theories but nobody truly knows because it is impossible to prove (like god). The first written language was almost certainly Sanskrit.
regebro
Posts: 1,152
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2009 10:50:45 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/4/2009 3:24:58 PM, feverish wrote:
Regarding the first spoken language,there are many theories but nobody truly knows because it is impossible to prove (like god). The first written language was almost certainly Sanskrit.

Sanskrit? The earliest texts Sanskrit we have is believed to be from 1500BC, but there are no originals preserved, so that's a guess. The earliest preserved Sanskrit writing is no more than 2000 years.

The first writing we know of that definitely are written language is from Mesopotamia, and is in Sumerian. They date from the late 4th millenia BC.

Wikipedia is your friend:
http://en.wikipedia.org...
So prove me wrong, then.
The_thinker
Posts: 67
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2009 11:41:14 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/4/2009 2:55:52 PM, regebro wrote:
At 10/4/2009 2:36:08 PM, The_thinker wrote:
Because its not polite

No shite, sherlock!?! Geez, I though it was. I really though I was the pinnacle of politeness. You really gave me something to think about now.

With an attitude like yours I doubt that you are married.

That was the lamest attempt to insult I've ever seen.

i could teach you manners you old fart
The_thinker
Posts: 67
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2009 11:45:40 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/4/2009 3:24:58 PM, feverish wrote:
Sorry for double post.

Regarding the first spoken language,there are many theories but nobody truly knows because it is impossible to prove (like god). The first written language was almost certainly Sanskrit.

thank you for clearing it up, i just want to read as much as i can about human origins be it the bible or anything else, i dont care about the insults, i have met some interesting people along the way and that is what really matters.

thanks again
regebro
Posts: 1,152
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2009 12:27:58 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/4/2009 11:45:40 PM, The_thinker wrote:
At 10/4/2009 3:24:58 PM, feverish wrote:
Sorry for double post.

Regarding the first spoken language,there are many theories but nobody truly knows because it is impossible to prove (like god). The first written language was almost certainly Sanskrit.

thank you for clearing it up, i just want to read as much as i can about human origins be it the bible or anything else

Again: The bible is not a text book on science. There is NOTHING on human origins in the Bible. It's a story book.

It's amazing that somebody that claims to be an agnostic have difficulties with that concept. Normally the only one talking like that are really fanatically stupid christians.
So prove me wrong, then.
regebro
Posts: 1,152
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2009 12:28:38 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/4/2009 11:41:14 PM, The_thinker wrote:
At 10/4/2009 2:55:52 PM, regebro wrote:
At 10/4/2009 2:36:08 PM, The_thinker wrote:
Because its not polite

No shite, sherlock!?! Geez, I though it was. I really though I was the pinnacle of politeness. You really gave me something to think about now.

With an attitude like yours I doubt that you are married.

That was the lamest attempt to insult I've ever seen.

i could teach you manners you old fart

Apparently not.
So prove me wrong, then.
feverish
Posts: 2,716
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2009 4:40:12 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/4/2009 10:50:45 PM, regebro wrote:
At 10/4/2009 3:24:58 PM, feverish wrote:
Regarding the first spoken language,there are many theories but nobody truly knows because it is impossible to prove (like god). The first written language was almost certainly Sanskrit.

Sanskrit? The earliest texts Sanskrit we have is believed to be from 1500BC, but there are no originals preserved, so that's a guess. The earliest preserved Sanskrit writing is no more than 2000 years.

The first writing we know of that definitely are written language is from Mesopotamia, and is in Sumerian. They date from the late 4th millenia BC.

Wikipedia is your friend:
http://en.wikipedia.org...

Thanks. My apologies then, definitely not Sanskrit.

It seems there is some debate about what actually qualifies as writing rather than pictorial symbols and the link says that if Chinese tortoise shell carvings are deemed to qualify as written language, this will pre-date the Mesopotamian scripts by thousands of years.
regebro
Posts: 1,152
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2009 6:13:18 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/5/2009 4:40:12 AM, feverish wrote:
It seems there is some debate about what actually qualifies as writing rather than pictorial symbols and the link says that if Chinese tortoise shell carvings are deemed to qualify as written language, this will pre-date the Mesopotamian scripts by thousands of years.

Yes, but likely they will have to find more of them in that case.
What is writing is of course not a clear definition. Writing evolved from drawing pictures of things into what would be recognizable writing over thousands of years. And then it took 5000 more years to evolve modern punctuation, etc. Just 500 years ago you would mostly have to read out loud to yourself, because there was no standardized spelling, so all writing was a sort of lolspeak puzzle and you had to speak the spelling out loud to guess what some of the words where. :)
So prove me wrong, then.
tkubok
Posts: 5,044
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2009 7:14:29 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/5/2009 6:13:18 AM, regebro wrote:
Yes, but likely they will have to find more of them in that case.
What is writing is of course not a clear definition. Writing evolved from drawing pictures of things into what would be recognizable writing over thousands of years. And then it took 5000 more years to evolve modern punctuation, etc. Just 500 years ago you would mostly have to read out loud to yourself, because there was no standardized spelling, so all writing was a sort of lolspeak puzzle and you had to speak the spelling out loud to guess what some of the words where. :)

Agreed. Infact, i have a trasncript from a letter from the 1600s that was written during the Gunpowder plot.

My lord out of the love i beare to some of youere frends i have a caer of youer preseruacion therfor i would advyse yowe as yowe tender youer lyf to devys some excuse to shift of youer attendance at this parleament for god and man hath concurred to punishe the wickednes of this tyme and think not slightlye of this advertisment but retyre youre self into youre contri wheare yowe may expect the event in safti for thowghe theare be no appearance of anni stir yet i saye they shall receyve a terrible blowe this parleament and yet they shall not seie who hurts them this cowncel is not to be contemned because it may do yowe good and can do yowe no harme for the dangere is passed as soon as yowe have burnt the letter and i hope god will give yowe the grace to mak good use of it to whose holy proteccion i comend yowe.

The whole thing is essentially a run-on sentence, with the person who wrote this letter spelling the same word two different ways in the same sentence. But this was how people used to write.
brian_eggleston
Posts: 3,347
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2009 7:29:12 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
The earliest language was not written and evolved with mankind in Africa. It was the "click" language, varieties of which are still spoken by some African tribes today.

http://www.independent.co.uk...
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
heart_of_the_matter
Posts: 408
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2009 11:25:48 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
Hello...you have asked many questions...I don't have the answer to all of them, but I will share with you my ideas and beliefs on the subject.

At 10/3/2009 3:04:41 PM, The_thinker wrote:
How did the language start, how old is it, why is there so many languages?
Language has been on the earth since Adam. It was given to him from God. If you will recall...it was Adam's job to name all the animals. Adam spoke a pure language which has been termed the Adamic language.
Why so many languages? --> tower of Babel (confounding of tongues)

What is the original language the bible was written in? why doesnt everybody who believes in the bible speaks in that language, Its written in English and Hebrew now.
I believe the OT was originally written in Hebrew and the NT was originally written in Greek.
-------------------------------
During the Millennium when the Lord reigns on the Earth the pure language will be restored...This I believe will be the same Adamic language as existed in the beginning.

Zephaniah 3: 9 For then will I turn to the people a pure language, that they may all call upon the name of the Lord, to serve him with one consent.

http://scriptures.lds.org...

http://eom.byu.edu...
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2009 11:47:19 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/5/2009 11:25:48 AM, heart_of_the_matter wrote:
Hello...you have asked many questions...I don't have the answer to all of them, but I will share with you my ideas and beliefs on the subject.

At 10/3/2009 3:04:41 PM, The_thinker wrote:
How did the language start, how old is it, why is there so many languages?
Language has been on the earth since Adam. It was given to him from God. If you will recall...it was Adam's job to name all the animals. Adam spoke a pure language which has been termed the Adamic language.
Why so many languages? --> tower of Babel (confounding of tongues)

Nice story:

1) Proof there was a tower being built in Babylon

2) Proof of Adam


What is the original language the bible was written in? why doesnt everybody who believes in the bible speaks in that language, Its written in English and Hebrew now.
I believe the OT was originally written in Hebrew and the NT was originally written in Greek.
-------------------------------
During the Millennium when the Lord reigns on the Earth the pure language will be restored...This I believe will be the same Adamic language as existed in the beginning.

Because these predictions have been so accurate in the past?
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
tkubok
Posts: 5,044
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2009 2:17:31 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/5/2009 11:47:19 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 10/5/2009 11:25:48 AM, heart_of_the_matter wrote:
Hello...you have asked many questions...I don't have the answer to all of them, but I will share with you my ideas and beliefs on the subject.

At 10/3/2009 3:04:41 PM, The_thinker wrote:
How did the language start, how old is it, why is there so many languages?
Language has been on the earth since Adam. It was given to him from God. If you will recall...it was Adam's job to name all the animals. Adam spoke a pure language which has been termed the Adamic language.
Why so many languages? --> tower of Babel (confounding of tongues)

Nice story:

1) Proof there was a tower being built in Babylon

2) Proof of Adam


What is the original language the bible was written in? why doesnt everybody who believes in the bible speaks in that language, Its written in English and Hebrew now.
I believe the OT was originally written in Hebrew and the NT was originally written in Greek.
-------------------------------
During the Millennium when the Lord reigns on the Earth the pure language will be restored...This I believe will be the same Adamic language as existed in the beginning.

Because these predictions have been so accurate in the past?

Clearly these predictions are spot on.

"So he carried me away in the spirit into the wilderness: and I saw a woman sit upon a scarlet coloured beast, full of names of blasphemy, having seven heads and ten horns." Revelations 17:3

I saw a picture of this once.