Jump to topic:

..........Prayer..........

Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2012 8:31:18 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Have there been studies that show that prayer has any positive effect on desired outcomes (even through a placebo effect)?
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
emospongebob527
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2012 8:40:59 PM
At 11/1/2012 8:31:18 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Have there been studies that show that prayer has any positive effect on desired outcomes (even through a placebo effect)?

No, prayer is extremely false and inconclusive.

Praise Richard Dawkins.
"not to toot my own horn (it aint need no tooin if u know what im saying), but my writings on "viciousness: the one true viture (fancy spelling for virtue)" and my poem "A poem I wrote about DDO" put me in a class of my damn own. im just an UNRECONGIZED geniuse" -bananafana
Paradox_7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2012 8:48:12 PM
At 11/1/2012 8:40:59 PM, emospongebob527 wrote:

Praise Richard Dawkins.

Extremely false? is there a degree past false that makes it more false? lol

How can anyone conduct a serious experiement on if prayer works??
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2012 8:50:27 PM

Can you demonstrate that?

Praise Richard Dawkins.

Why should I praise him for anything? Do you mean commend him for his work on evolution? Sure, it's pretty good stuff. As far as atheism, philosophy, and argumentation go, he's pretty weak and vitriolic. There are probably fifty better debaters on atheism and philosophical naturalism than him.
emospongebob527
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2012 9:29:26 PM
At 11/1/2012 8:50:27 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

Can you demonstrate that?

Praise Richard Dawkins.

Why should I praise him for anything? Do you mean commend him for his work on evolution? Sure, it's pretty good stuff. As far as atheism, philosophy, and argumentation go, he's pretty weak and vitriolic. There are probably fifty better debaters on atheism and philosophical naturalism than him.

Dude, I'm kidding.
"not to toot my own horn (it aint need no tooin if u know what im saying), but my writings on "viciousness: the one true viture (fancy spelling for virtue)" and my poem "A poem I wrote about DDO" put me in a class of my damn own. im just an UNRECONGIZED geniuse" -bananafana
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2012 10:30:48 PM
At 11/1/2012 9:29:26 PM, emospongebob527 wrote:
Dude, I'm kidding.

Are you threatening me? Flagged.
emospongebob527
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2012 10:35:31 PM
At 11/1/2012 10:30:48 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
At 11/1/2012 9:29:26 PM, emospongebob527 wrote:
Dude, I'm kidding.

Are you threatening me? Flagged.

No lol
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2012 10:47:37 PM
It certainly helped us find the perfect doctor for my sister.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2012 10:48:06 PM
Yep. Psychologically.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2012 11:04:23 PM
At 11/1/2012 10:48:06 PM, phantom wrote:
Yep. Psychologically.

A study of 1,802 patients disproved that. http://www.nytimes.com...
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2012 11:04:46 PM
At 11/1/2012 10:47:37 PM, OberHerr wrote:

How so?
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2012 11:10:46 PM
At 11/1/2012 11:04:23 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Yep. Psychologically.

If you think something that you're doing is going to work, it's more likely to work. If you think prayer works then you're more likely to think that what you're doing is going to work, and subsequently will be more likely to work. Sports for example.

It's hard to refute that.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2012 11:14:46 PM
At 11/1/2012 11:04:46 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

How so?

Well, we kept on going through doctors, and all of them said the same thing, or similar things, that only worsened here condition.

So, we prayed about it, and a lady at our church recommended her doctor. We went to him, and he knew exactly what she had. Long story short, shes fine now, and doesn't have to live the rest of her life with something equivalent to a weaker version of shingles(I think thts what its called).

phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2012 11:29:15 PM
At 11/1/2012 11:14:46 PM, OberHerr wrote:

How so?

Well, we kept on going through doctors, and all of them said the same thing, or similar things, that only worsened here condition.

So, we prayed about it, and a lady at our church recommended her doctor. We went to him, and he knew exactly what she had. Long story short, shes fine now, and doesn't have to live the rest of her life with something equivalent to a weaker version of shingles(I think thts what its called).

So you kept trying and eventually found a good doctor. That's just so obviously probabilistic.
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2012 11:53:35 PM
At 11/1/2012 11:29:15 PM, phantom wrote:

How so?

So you kept trying and eventually found a good doctor. That's just so obviously probabilistic.

Me Composer the ongoing successful Cult buster: Those claiming to be xtians always find Human intervention (Doctors) the best method for healing as their appeals to jebus are consistently a total failure!

Your literal Saviour moi!
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2012 12:09:40 AM
At 11/1/2012 11:10:46 PM, phantom wrote:
At 11/1/2012 11:04:23 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Yep. Psychologically.

If you think something that you're doing is going to work, it's more likely to work. If you think prayer works then you're more likely to think that what you're doing is going to work, and subsequently will be more likely to work. Sports for example.

It's hard to refute that.

That's what was so bizarre about the study. You would at least expect a pretty decent placebo effect, yet no positive effect was observed in the study. Religious faith should have the most strong placebo effect for some of these people, but it was not demonstrated. The study was even partially funded by a spiritual group, so it's not like they had a stake in demonstrating that intercessory prayer was inefficacious.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2012 12:14:04 AM
At 11/1/2012 11:29:15 PM, phantom wrote:

How so?

Rather convenient right after we started praying for it, it happened, amiright?

Literally, the next day.

Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2012 12:16:26 AM

Not to trivialize your sister's health, but as Phantom pointed out, that's well within the realm of probability. You could have prayed to a milk jug and achieved similar results. It would have been more miraculous or more of an observable success of prayer if you prayed for healing for your sister without using someone in the medical field, and your sister's condition instantly vanished. I'd like to have 1,000,000 Christians simultaneously pray for an amputee to grow his limb back instantly, and see if that would work. Losing a leg is not nearly as bad as getting pancreatic cancer, which has a survival rate of 4-20%.
stubs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2012 12:25:30 AM
At 11/2/2012 12:16:26 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

Not to trivialize your sister's health, but as Phantom pointed out, that's well within the realm of probability. You could have prayed to a milk jug and achieved similar results. It would have been more miraculous or more of an observable success of prayer if you prayed for healing for your sister without using someone in the medical field, and your sister's condition instantly vanished. I'd like to have 1,000,000 Christians simultaneously pray for an amputee to grow his limb back instantly, and see if that would work. Losing a leg is not nearly as bad as getting pancreatic cancer, which has a survival rate of 4-20%.

Has it crossed your mind that the purpose of prayer may not be healing/miracles?
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2012 12:39:03 AM

Praise Richard Dawkins.

sources? are you being serious?
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2012 12:42:23 AM

prayer doesn't work like that. People do not ask for anything impossible, they just usually ask for mercy. Justice is the allowance of events to unfold how they deserve it, mercy is the lax of it.
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2012 12:51:46 AM
At 11/2/2012 12:25:30 AM, stubs wrote:

Has it crossed your mind that the purpose of prayer may not be healing/miracles?

good point
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2012 1:01:06 AM
At 11/2/2012 12:25:30 AM, stubs wrote:

*I* think the genuine purpose of prayer is similar to meditation and deep thinking. I started this discussion pretty open ended, so you could post a study demonstrating the the placebo effect of prayer, the therapeutic benefits, the sort-of effect the movie The Secret describes, etc.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2012 1:07:03 AM
At 11/2/2012 12:42:23 AM, Smithereens wrote:
prayer doesn't work like that.

Says who? Just you? Can you back up that statement biblically?

People do not ask for anything impossible, they just usually ask for mercy.

Says who? Just you? Can you substantiate that statement biblically, historically, contemporarily? I thought Philippians 4:13 was pretty clear.

Justice is the allowance of events to unfold how they deserve it, mercy is the lax of it.

Says who? Just you? Can you back up that statement biblically? Did you skip all of these verses while reading the Bible?

Matthew 7:7 Ask, and it will be given to you seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.
Matthew 21:22 And whatever you ask in prayer, you will receive, if you have faith.
Mark 11:24 Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.
John 14:13-14 Whatever you ask in my name, this I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask me anything in my name, I will do it
addictedtolife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2012 2:47:10 AM
Let us think of this in terms that can relate to everyone.
Does talking to a person one on one help?
Do people pay just to have someone to talk to?
Do people write in a journal so they can unload their feelings?
I am sure all the answers are yes, now why would anyone practice this if it did not have some kind of positive effect.
I know the first two question involve human contact, but in the mind of those who are praying they are having contact with a higher power so therefor it will help.
I have seen it all around as well as experienced it myself.
DanielChristopherBlowes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2012 5:06:55 AM

I see answers to my prayers all the time..
Everyone on the side of Truth listens to Me. (Jesus Christ)
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2012 6:13:43 AM
At 11/2/2012 5:06:55 AM, DanielChristopherBlowes wrote:

I see answers to my prayers all the time..

Cool. Could you answer the question above, please. Also, do you doubt that Allah answers the prayers of Muslims who make the exact same claim that you are making now? Do you doubt the same occurrence in every religion that uses prayer, including non-Abrahamic religions? http://en.wikipedia.org...
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2012 6:21:12 AM
At 11/2/2012 2:47:10 AM, addictedtolife wrote:
Why would anyone practice this if it did not have some kind of positive effect.

Why did Mayans rip the hearts out of conquered tribes to make the sun rise the next day if it did not have some kind of positive effect? Superstitions are practiced because people can be superstitious. I cited a study in which 1,802 medical patients prayed and were prayed for, yet there was not even an observable placebo effect. Do you have any direct evidence as to what the OP asks for?

I know the first two question involve human contact, but in the mind of those who are praying they are having contact with a higher power so therefor it will help.

They may think they are having contact with a supernatural being, that does not mean they are. Some people take DMT (a powerful psychedelic drug), and they see light beings that guide them around. Does this mean the light beings are existent and supernatural? No, it means someone's mind perceived that light beings were guiding him. Perception and reality don't always synchronize, especially at the fringes of knowledge.

I have seen it all around as well as experienced it myself.

Do you know what anecdotal evidence is? Do you know what weight anecdotal evidence carries? Then why did you use it? Please address the OP when you get a chance.
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2012 6:55:09 AM

There have been quite a few studies that demonstrate the positive first person health effects of prayer, which is to say that the studies have demonstrated that prayer has positive health effects on the person who prays. Studies have shown that prayer can reduce blood pressure and heart rate in cardiovascular patients, and many studies have shown the practice reduces stress and anxiety, which has very strong positive correlations with both physical and mental health. Many studies have shown a strong correlations between first person prayer and mental health, overall physical health and vitality, positive outlook on life, ability to cope with traumatic events and disaster, and life expectancy.

Studies of first and second person prayer show strong psychological and physical results related to recovery from illness and general well being, which is to say that knowing that there are people who care and pray for you is uplifting, increases morale, strengthens the will to live, and correlates strongly with all of the first person benefits.

Most people who do not pray think the practice is all about intercessory prayer, which would be praying for divine intervention to get some reward. Studies of intercessory prayer have been very limited, typically biased, and inconclusive at best. I do in fact have first hand experience in this particular area of study, and can report that my own ongoing first person study of intercessory prayer indicates that, so far at least, it just doesn't work for winning the lottery.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2012 6:57:55 AM
At 11/2/2012 6:55:09 AM, Sidewalker wrote:

There have been quite a few studies that demonstrate the positive first person health effects of prayer, which is to say that the studies have demonstrated that prayer has positive health effects on the person who prays. Studies have shown that prayer can reduce blood pressure and heart rate in cardiovascular patients, and many studies have shown the practice reduces stress and anxiety, which has very strong positive correlations with both physical and mental health. Many studies have shown a strong correlations between first person prayer and mental health, overall physical health and vitality, positive outlook on life, ability to cope with traumatic events and disaster, and life expectancy.

Could you post these studies or news stories on the studies, please?

Studies of first and second person prayer show strong psychological and physical results related to recovery from illness and general well being, which is to say that knowing that there are people who care and pray for you is uplifting, increases morale, strengthens the will to live, and correlates strongly with all of the first person benefits.

Most people who do not pray think the practice is all about intercessory prayer, which would be praying for divine intervention to get some reward. Studies of intercessory prayer have been very limited, typically biased, and inconclusive at best. I do in fact have first hand experience in this particular area of study, and can report that my own ongoing first person study of intercessory prayer indicates that, so far at least, it just doesn't work for winning the lottery.