Jump to topic:

Just for Christians

yoda878
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2012 1:12:06 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Sorry to be selective here but I want to have a serous examination with something that drives me crazy when I hear some say this.

If a person commit suicide they go to hell.

gay people go to hell

and so on.....

Ok the first one I get why they say this to keep people from doing this, but lets get real here.

There is no way you could possibly know this to be true. No where in the Bible does it say these things are unforgivable. The only thing in the bible that is unforgivable is blasphemy of the holy spirit.

Jesus said of the men that hung him on the cross, "forgive them for they know not what they do"
If he can forgive these men he can forgive many things.

Now I am not saying that none will go to hell but by no means are all of them. So I do wish that people will stop saying these things.
Me
Paradox_7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2012 1:25:59 PM
At 11/2/2012 1:12:06 PM, yoda878 wrote:
Sorry to be selective here but I want to have a serous examination with something that drives me crazy when I hear some say this.

gay people go to hell

and so on.....

Ok the first one I get why they say this to keep people from doing this, but lets get real here.

There is no way you could possibly know this to be true. No where in the Bible does it say these things are unforgivable. The only thing in the bible that is unforgivable is blasphemy of the holy spirit.

You're right, suicide and homosexuality are absolutely forgiveable, and many have been forgiven for them. We really have no idea who is and isn't, so there is no sense in acting like we do.

Jesus said of the men that hung him on the cross, "forgive them for they know not what they do"

Actually he was speaking about his children, not the men hanging him on the cross. Unless some of them were among his children.

Now I am not saying that none will go to hell but by no means are all of them. So I do wish that people will stop saying these things.

Word.
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2012 1:33:36 PM

Certainly depends upon the rest of the lives they've led, plus who knows if the person was mentally competent in God's eyes at the time.

gay people go to hell

Again, depends upon the rest of their lives, mental status, etc.

and so on.....

No, they say it because they believe it, I'd imagine.

There is no way you could possibly know this to be true.

Nope, especially with the suicide.

No where in the Bible does it say these things are unforgivable. The only thing in the bible that is unforgivable is blasphemy of the holy spirit.

Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
yoda878
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2012 1:40:07 PM
At 11/2/2012 1:33:36 PM, annanicole wrote:

Certainly depends upon the rest of the lives they've led, plus who knows if the person was mentally competent in God's eyes at the time.

gay people go to hell

Again, depends upon the rest of their lives, mental status, etc.

and so on.....

No, they say it because they believe it, I'd imagine.

I think its a little of both. The ones that believe it to be true have been thought that.

There is no way you could possibly know this to be true.

Nope, especially with the suicide.

No where in the Bible does it say these things are unforgivable. The only thing in the bible that is unforgivable is blasphemy of the holy spirit.

Me
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2012 1:50:13 PM
At 11/2/2012 1:45:25 PM, FREEDO wrote:
If I were Christian, my interpretation would be Universalism.

Hey, me too! (^_^)v
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2012 1:54:59 PM

gay people go to hell

and so on.....

I do agree with you here. I defend God and the Bible passionately, but you will never see me tell someone that they are going to hell. I do defend what the Bible says is right and wrong, but I never tell an individual or group that they are going to hell, those are two different things. I can tell someone what the Bible says about their behavior, but I cannot be the ultimate judge of their eternity. That is God's job.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2012 2:15:46 PM

gay people go to hell

and so on.....

I can not say if a single person is going to Hell. I'm not worthy to judge their souls.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2012 2:41:36 PM
Any sin can send you to hell, so suicide or homosexuality can send you to hell. But you're right that there's only one unforgivable sin, and it's not suicide or homosexuality, so being gay or committing suicide wont necessarily send anybody to hell. Those people can still be saved.

Here's the deal. If you sin, then you stand condemned. You will be punished for your sins. If you place your faith in Jesus, that he died for sins and rose from the dead, then you will be pardoned for your sins, and you will not be punished for them.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2012 3:43:21 PM
At 11/2/2012 2:41:36 PM, philochristos wrote:
Any sin can send you to hell, so suicide or homosexuality can send you to hell. But you're right that there's only one unforgivable sin, and it's not suicide or homosexuality, so being gay or committing suicide wont necessarily send anybody to hell. Those people can still be saved.

Here's the deal. If you sin, then you stand condemned. You will be punished for your sins. If you place your faith in Jesus, that he died for sins and rose from the dead, then you will be pardoned for your sins, and you will not be punished for them.

So rape, murder, and torure could possibly be forgiven, but you have to believe your religion is true, or perish for sure? Lmao. This clearly sounds like something humans invented to scare others into conversion. I'm worried about the mental states of people who actually believe this nonsense. No loving or omnipotent God, with all his intelligence could possibly care that much about whether or not people believe he exists on bad evidence or not. If I give money to children in another country for charity for example, and the children didn't care, worry about, or even acknowledge my existence, I would just be happy they got what I gave them and they got to live a slightly better life because of me. Only a child would have an "oh, don't worship me or believe I exist? You perish sucker!". The christian God is intellectually more petty than your common purse snatcher.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2012 3:53:41 PM
At 11/2/2012 3:43:21 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:

So rape, murder, and torure could possibly be forgiven, but you have to believe your religion is true, or perish for sure? Lmao.

That would be correct. The concept is not that difficult: "I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins." (Jn 8: 24).

This clearly sounds like something humans invented to scare others into conversion.

No, it is 'clearly' taught in the NT in multiple passages. I cited one (above).

I'm worried about the mental states of people who actually believe this nonsense.

"The fool has said in his heart, There is no God." (Ps 14: 1)

No loving or omnipotent God, with all his intelligence could possibly care that much about whether or not people believe he exists on bad evidence or not.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

If I give money to children in another country for charity for example, and the children didn't care, worry about, or even acknowledge my existence, I would just be happy they got what I gave them and they got to live a slightly better life because of me.

I would be the same way.

Only a child would have an "oh, don't worship me or believe I exist? You perish sucker!". The christian God is intellectually more petty than your common purse snatcher.

LOL. The denial of even the existence of God is, to you, a minor and petty thing? Well, ok.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
yoda878
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2012 4:03:36 PM

So rape, murder, and torure could possibly be forgiven, but you have to believe your religion is true, or perish for sure? Lmao. This clearly sounds like something humans invented to scare others into conversion. I'm worried about the mental states of people who actually believe this nonsense. No loving or omnipotent God, with all his intelligence could possibly care that much about whether or not people believe he exists on bad evidence or not.
Not completely like that, you could not stand before god and deny him to be true. That is just silly there is more to it then that. You even after death can be forgiven.
If I give money to children in another country for charity for example, and the children didn't care, worry about, or even acknowledge my existence, I would just be happy they got what I gave them and they got to live a slightly better life because of me. Only a child would have an "oh, don't worship me or believe I exist? You perish sucker!". The christian God is intellectually more petty than your common purse snatcher.

You are trying to hijack my post so this is it for me and you. This post is for ones with the same belief to debate what is and isn't true. Not whether the religion is true... We already know you are an atheist ;)
Me
Paradox_7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2012 4:12:54 PM

So rape, murder, and torure could possibly be forgiven, but you have to believe your religion is true, or perish for sure? Lmao. This clearly sounds like something humans invented to scare others into conversion.

How is that even remotely sound? We've seen man made religions and there nothing like Christianity. There all self-help, self-improve, inward relfecting, and visual good. The funny part, is that you use those 'evil' being forgiven as if you actually believe they're evil in the first place.

I'm worried about the mental states of people who actually believe this nonsense. No loving or omnipotent God, with all his intelligence could possibly care that much about whether or not people believe he exists on bad evidence or not.

How the f*ck could you possibly know what a perfect, righteous, Just, and loving God would or would care about?

If I give money to children in another country for charity for example, and the children didn't care, worry about, or even acknowledge my existence, I would just be happy they got what I gave them and they got to live a slightly better life because of me. Only a child would have an "oh, don't worship me or believe I exist? You perish sucker!". The christian God is intellectually more petty than your common purse snatcher.

This is a prime example of why 'faith alone' is the requirement. Because sinful man is just to f*ckin proud to admit he doesn't know sh*t, and that God is control of everything.

It's the hardest thing to do, as you've clearly displayed; it goes against all our intuitive and rational faculties.

You are less then the bacteria on a piece of dog sh*t, get over it. God doesn't need you, me, or anyone else. This is his show, not ours.
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
yoda878
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2012 4:21:18 PM
At 11/2/2012 4:12:54 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:

So rape, murder, and torure could possibly be forgiven, but you have to believe your religion is true, or perish for sure? Lmao. This clearly sounds like something humans invented to scare others into conversion.

How is that even remotely sound? We've seen man made religions and there nothing like Christianity. There all self-help, self-improve, inward relfecting, and visual good. The funny part, is that you use those 'evil' being forgiven as if you actually believe they're evil in the first place.

I'm worried about the mental states of people who actually believe this nonsense. No loving or omnipotent God, with all his intelligence could possibly care that much about whether or not people believe he exists on bad evidence or not.

How the f*ck could you possibly know what a perfect, righteous, Just, and loving God would or would care about?

This is a prime example of why 'faith alone' is the requirement. Because sinful man is just to f*ckin proud to admit he doesn't know sh*t, and that God is control of everything.

Don't let yourself get so mad, God gave people free will and he is free to say what he wants. God will never take that away from anyone.

It's the hardest thing to do, as you've clearly displayed; it goes against all our intuitive and rational faculties.

You are less then the bacteria on a piece of dog sh*t, get over it. God doesn't need you, me, or anyone else. This is his show, not ours.

Your right we are nothing compaired to God, but we are everything to God. Even thought God does not need Rational_Thinker9119. It really doesn't matter because he love him the same as you and me. :)
Me
blameworthy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2012 4:24:15 PM

Oh, but God does need you according to the Bible. He needs worshipers. He craves worshiper. He created a master race just to get worshipers, and when they abandoned him, he tried another tactic.

I say you stop worshiping and demand goods in exchange for worship. He obviously needs it for something.
DanielChristopherBlowes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2012 4:27:20 PM

gay people go to hell

and so on.....

You're describing sins, which emanate from our fallen nature: Sin.

Sin is being our own God and deciding for ourselves what is good or evil.

The elect, or called, make God their God and so no longer wish to commit sins.

We are called to forgive the sins of others who are not yet in a relationship with God.
Everyone on the side of Truth listens to Me. (Jesus Christ)
DanielChristopherBlowes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2012 4:30:40 PM

Then you wouldn't be a Christian; the book of Revelations clearly describes the eternal torment of sinners in hell.

It's a spiritual paradox: those who claim they have no sin are sinners, those who know they are, are no longer..
yoda878
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2012 4:30:43 PM
At 11/2/2012 4:27:20 PM, DanielChristopherBlowes wrote:

gay people go to hell

and so on.....

We are called to forgive the sins of others who are not yet in a relationship with God.

I love what you say at the end, but I don't believe anyone before death is ever sin free.
Me
yoda878
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2012 4:33:00 PM
At 11/2/2012 4:30:40 PM, DanielChristopherBlowes wrote:

Then you wouldn't be a Christian; the book of Revelations clearly describes the eternal torment of sinners in hell.

It's a spiritual paradox: those who claim they have no sin are sinners, those who know they are, are no longer..

every one is still sinning on earth, because no one has mastered being like Jesus, but will always try and look to that example.
Me
Paradox_7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2012 4:34:20 PM
At 11/2/2012 4:24:15 PM, blameworthy wrote:
Oh, but God does need you according to the Bible. He needs worshipers. He craves worshiper. He created a master race just to get worshipers, and when they abandoned him, he tried another tactic.

I say you stop worshiping and demand goods in exchange for worship. He obviously needs it for something.

LMAO..

Please show me where in the bible it says (or even implies) God 'needs' anything.
DanielChristopherBlowes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2012 4:35:30 PM
At 11/2/2012 4:30:43 PM, yoda878 wrote:

gay people go to hell

and so on.....

I love what you say at the end, but I don't believe anyone before death is ever sin free.

That's why I said 'no longer wish to sin' the sins we commit despite our best efforts we confess and repent of and the Holy Spirit cleanses us and we grow..

This is represented by Christ washing His disciples feet.
yoda878
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2012 4:37:58 PM
At 11/2/2012 4:35:30 PM, DanielChristopherBlowes wrote:
At 11/2/2012 4:30:43 PM, yoda878 wrote:

gay people go to hell

and so on.....

That's why I said 'no longer wish to sin' the sins we commit despite our best efforts we confess and repent of and the Holy Spirit cleanses us and we grow..

This is represented by Christ washing His disciples feet.

Ok I misunderstood you.
Me
Paradox_7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2012 4:38:35 PM
At 11/2/2012 4:21:18 PM, yoda878 wrote:
Don't let yourself get so mad, God gave people free will and he is free to say what he wants. God will never take that away from anyone.

I try, but my weakness is that of a bad temper. BUUUT, I do not believe in free-will; especially regarding a decision to choose God.

Your right we are nothing compaired to God, but we are everything to God. Even thought God does not need Rational_Thinker9119. It really doesn't matter because he love him the same as you and me. :)

That's all I meant, was in comparison to God.

But, we have another disagreement.. God doesn't love everyone, only his Children.

Which RT might turn out to be one day.. who knows.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2012 4:38:41 PM

"The book of revelation clearly teaches eternal torment." You'd be pro, i'd be con. You down?

BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2012 4:40:32 PM

How is that even remotely sound? We've seen man made religions and there nothing like Christianity.

Christianity is just the most popular one. That's it.

There all self-help, self-improve, inward relfecting, and visual good. The funny part, is that you use those 'evil' being forgiven as if you actually believe they're evil in the first place.

Evil is just a word. These people just have different brain chemistry than most 'normal' people. This generally leads to destructive behavior in many cases.

Well I can use common sense to determine what he would not care about. That's the point lol You cannot have a perfect God who is also petty minded like a spoiled child.

If I thought the Christian God was even remotely plausible, I would be a Christian in a heart beat. Why risk my eternal soul over it? The problem is, I think it's a laughable belief, personally. Why admit to something, which I think is most likely not true?

If there was a good reason to believe he was actually there, it would be very easy.

You are less then the bacteria on a piece of dog sh*t, get over it.

No need to get upset and emotional.

*Emperor Palpatine voice*

"I can feel the anger flowing through you!"

God doesn't need you, me, or anyone else. This is his show, not ours.

Awww how cute, your imaginary friend doesn't need me :)
DanielChristopherBlowes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2012 4:43:46 PM
At 11/2/2012 4:38:41 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

"The book of revelation clearly teaches eternal torment." You'd be pro, i'd be con. You down?

I'm down brother, sure you don't want to just read REV 14:10-11 and REV 20:10 first?
yoda878
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2012 4:47:09 PM
At 11/2/2012 4:40:32 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:

How is that even remotely sound? We've seen man made religions and there nothing like Christianity.

Christianity is just the most popular one. That's it.

There all self-help, self-improve, inward relfecting, and visual good. The funny part, is that you use those 'evil' being forgiven as if you actually believe they're evil in the first place.

Evil is just a word. These people just have different brain chemistry than most 'normal' people. This generally leads to destructive behavior in many cases.

Well I can use common sense to determine what he would not care about. That's the point lol You cannot have a perfect God who is also petty minded like a spoiled child.

If I thought the Christian God was even remotely plausible, I would be a Christian in a heart beat. Why risk my eternal soul over it? The problem is, I think it's a laughable belief, personally. Why admit to something, which I think is most likely not true?

If there was a good reason to believe he was actually there, it would be very easy.

You are less then the bacteria on a piece of dog sh*t, get over it.

No need to get upset and emotional.

*Emperor Palpatine voice*

"I can feel the anger flowing through you!"

God doesn't need you, me, or anyone else. This is his show, not ours.

Awww how cute, your imaginary friend doesn't need me :)

Pleas make a new post to debate the existence of god this post is for those that know of his existence and want to debate the literature meanings in the bible.
Me
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2012 4:47:55 PM
At 11/2/2012 4:43:46 PM, DanielChristopherBlowes wrote:

I'm down brother, sure you don't want to just read REV 14:10-11 and REV 20:10 first?

I'm absolutely positive. Sure you don't wanna look up the greek in those verses and read the entire book in context first? :)

I'll send you a challenge tonight.
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Paradox_7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2012 4:48:49 PM
Sorry for encouraging him Yoda..
Paradox_7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2012 4:50:53 PM
At 11/2/2012 4:47:55 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 11/2/2012 4:43:46 PM, DanielChristopherBlowes wrote:

I'm absolutely positive. Sure you don't wanna look up the greek in those verses and read the entire book in context first? :)

I'll send you a challenge tonight.

omg.. not another annihilationist.

This doctrine pops up every once in a while, gets squashed, then resurfaces years later.