Jump to topic:

Lost faith....

Heineken
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2012 2:15:07 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I am interested in knowing if anyone has a testimony of losing their faith.
Faith to Agnostic or Faith to Atheist.
Vidi, vici, veni.
(I saw, I conquered, I came.)
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2012 2:50:52 PM
At 11/2/2012 2:15:07 PM, Heineken wrote:

I lost my faith in my early 20's, but eventually got it back. Here's a short version of how I lost my faith.

I grew up in the Bible Belt where being a Christian didn't mean anything. It was just another way of saying that you're a human or something like that. Everybody was a "Christian," but it didn't necessarily have anything to do with how they lived their lives.

My dad and grandmother who raised me were "Christians," but we weren't church-going people, and Christianity was just the background noise. I, however, took a deep interest in it as a teenager. I read the new testament and a large chunck of the old testament and was kind of passionate about it for a while, being the only member of my family to be that way.

I joined the navy after highschool and was exposed to a lot of people who didn't believe like I did. When I was challenged, I came to realize I had always believed in Christianity for no other reason than that I had never been given any reason to doubt it. It was just the air I breathed, the default position. At first, I decided to give Christianity the benefit of the doubt until I could learn more.

After the navy, I moved to Austin and I started referring to myself as an "agnostic Christian," because while I gave Christianity the benefit of the doubt, I didn't really know that it was true. One day, I was watching Austin Cable Access, and there were these three Christian apologists on there who kept saying throughout the show that "a creation implies a creator." I was struck by the obvious fact that they were merely assuming the universe was created rather than having always existed. (I subscribed to the oscillating universe model at the time.) That sealed the deal for me, and I was agnostic. While I had no reason to think there was not a God, I didn't think it was possible to know that there was a God.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2012 1:27:57 PM

I watched too much Richard Dawkins on YouTube.

Good news is I'm back.
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2012 2:10:16 PM
Growing up in an unquestioningly religious family, believing was my default position. My loss of faith came gradually but steadily after leaving my comfort zone as I learned more about my beliefs, the beliefs of others, and was forced to think for myself.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Nidhogg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2012 4:19:28 PM

2 years ago I was an evolutionist/atheist because I read the "50 reasons God does not exist" webpage.
Here's some of the main lines on that webpage that makes me sick every time I read them now, but I used to follow like a blind sheep:
"Yes, a world without God would be a far better, friendlier and happier place."

"Indeed, the theists don't know when to stop and go out of their way to brain wash and influence young and impressionable children with their mumbo jumbo. They do their best to fill the minds of young children with superstitious nonsense that has no rational and provable grounds. They fill the minds of impressionable children and adults with endless sadistic stuff about original sin, committing a sin every time you feel a human emotion such as anger, committing a sin for not continually getting down on your hands and knees like a dog begging for forgiveness for simply being a human being. Through the eyes of an atheist the religious world is a sick, bitter and twisted world that is full of hatred."

Then I started to look at the facts and realise a lot of militant atheists just hate certain passages of the Bible and base all their opinions on that. After a Year and a half of soul searching, I became a Christian again and lost faith in evolution.

Its funny how things work out eh?

Sources: http://www.god-does-not-exist.org...
Ridiculously Photogenic Debater

DDO's most mediocre member since at least a year ago
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2012 1:21:52 AM
At 11/3/2012 4:19:28 PM, Nidhogg wrote:
Here's some of the main lines on that webpage that makes me sick every time I read them now, but I used to follow like a blind sheep:

Me Composer the ongoing successful Cult buster: Latest Data confirms that! -

To sum up:

In general, higher rates of belief in and worship of a creator correlate with higher rates of homicide, juvenile and early adult mortality, STD infection rates, teen pregnancy, and abortion in the prosperous democracies... The United States is almost always the most dysfunctional of the developed democracies, sometimes spectacularly so, and almost always scores poorly. The view of the U.S. as a "shining city on the hill" to the rest of the world is falsified when it comes to basic measures of societal health.
["]
Although they are by no means utopias, the populations of secular democracies are clearly able to govern themselves and maintain societal cohesion. Indeed, the data examined in this study demonstrates that only the more secular, pro-evolution democracies have, for the first time in history, come closest to achieving practical "cultures of life" that feature low rates of lethal crime, juvenile-adult mortality, sex related dysfunction, and even abortion. The least theistic secular developed democracies such as Japan, France, and Scandinavia have been most successful in these regards. (Source: http://stupac2.blogspot.com.au...)

Your Literal Saviour moi!
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2012 2:33:13 AM
At 11/4/2012 1:21:52 AM, Composer wrote:

To sum up:

In general, higher rates of belief in and worship of a creator correlate with higher rates of homicide, juvenile and early adult mortality, STD infection rates, teen pregnancy, and abortion in the prosperous democracies... The United States is almost always the most dysfunctional of the developed democracies, sometimes spectacularly so, and almost always scores poorly. The view of the U.S. as a "shining city on the hill" to the rest of the world is falsified when it comes to basic measures of societal health.
["]
Although they are by no means utopias, the populations of secular democracies are clearly able to govern themselves and maintain societal cohesion. Indeed, the data examined in this study demonstrates that only the more secular, pro-evolution democracies have, for the first time in history, come closest to achieving practical "cultures of life" that feature low rates of lethal crime, juvenile-adult mortality, sex related dysfunction, and even abortion. The least theistic secular developed democracies such as Japan, France, and Scandinavia have been most successful in these regards. (Source: http://stupac2.blogspot.com.au...)

Somehow I doubt that your post has the slightest thing to do with what the originator of this thread was asking. Allow me to restate his post: "I am interested in knowing if anyone has a testimony of losing their faith. Faith to Agnostic or Faith to Atheist." It seems that all the subsequent responders, excluding you, pretty much comprehended his post. He is interested in personal testimonies of responders who can give their experiences concerning losing their religious faith. Now, if you'll examine closely, your post doesn't concern any experience you have had relating to losing any faith of any kind. It looks like a rehashed "copy and paste" that you have already posted half a dozen times.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2012 2:44:19 AM
At 11/4/2012 2:33:13 AM, annanicole wrote:

To sum up:

["]

Somehow I doubt that your post has the slightest thing to do with what the originator of this thread was asking. Allow me to restate his post: "I am interested in knowing if anyone has a testimony of losing their faith. Faith to Agnostic or Faith to Atheist." It seems that all the subsequent responders, excluding you, pretty much comprehended his post. He is interested in personal testimonies of responders who can give their experiences concerning losing their religious faith. Now, if you'll examine closely, your post doesn't concern any experience you have had relating to losing any faith of any kind. It looks like a rehashed "copy and paste" that you have already posted half a dozen times.

This ^

Composer is one of those trolls who is happy to do a hit and run even if he fails, but won't under any circumstances defend his beliefs in a debate.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
emospongebob527
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2012 3:23:12 AM
My Mother grew up as an Evangelical Christian and My Dad was raised Deist, when they got married and I was born. Growing up I never went to church but never really thought of the existence of God, never questioned or asserted it. Then after my parents divorced when I was 7, my Dad married a Catholic woman and converted from Deism to Catholicism. My Mom ended up marrying a Catholic also but never converted. Then a couple years after my parents divorced and my Mom was nearly homeless she was saved by our church and they provided for us, and from now on she has been enveloped in some "faith happy experience" where she has been deeply involved in our church and in Christianity itself, as this has gone on I have started to learn about Christianity, questioned the existence of God, did deep soul searching and praying, and nothing happened, after that I declared myself agnostic, approaching the question of God with doubt and neutrality, I came out to my Mom a couple months ago, and she shunned me, this has caused our relationship to plummet and I keep begging her to look past my beliefs and treat me the same, and for that reason, I have decided not to tell my Dad yet. As of right now, I am a strong agnostic/weak atheist.
"not to toot my own horn (it aint need no tooin if u know what im saying), but my writings on "viciousness: the one true viture (fancy spelling for virtue)" and my poem "A poem I wrote about DDO" put me in a class of my damn own. im just an UNRECONGIZED geniuse" -bananafana
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2012 3:36:32 AM
"I came out to my Mom a couple months ago, and she shunned me, this has caused our relationship to plummet and I keep begging her to look past my beliefs and treat me the same"

While I can completely understand her behavior - even sympathize with it, I sympathize with it only as a knee-jerk, initial reaction. I wonder if she realizes that continuing in the same manner for months is ... ummm ... not exactly a Biblically-supportable position?
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2012 3:50:35 AM
At 11/4/2012 2:44:19 AM, Smithereens wrote:

To sum up:

["]

This ^

Composer is one of those trolls who is happy to do a hit and run even if he fails, but won't under any circumstances defend his beliefs in a debate.

I am content knowing your various Cult ideologies are not worth squat and I busted them a long time ago and as you stated: I am metaphorically often labelled by people like you, a #: troll defined as - 1 n. (in Scandinavian folklore) fabulous being, esp. a giant . . . . (POD)

Conversely you cult busted dupes are a proven - "Troll", which is a five-letter word defined as referring to people (like you) who are asked questions by ' fabulous trolls like me ' that failed religions like yours e.g. trinitarianism, Mormon, Muslim, christian mystics, spiritualists, J.w's, etc. etc. cannot legitimately answer.

What so called xtianity teaches is easily proven absurd, illegitimate and unsustainable and plain WRONG! even in its fundamentals, according to the very Story book bible benchmark appealed to for some credibility, fails there also.

Your literal Saviour moi!
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2012 4:00:53 AM

To sum up:

["]

This ^

Haven't failed busting Cults like yours in 50 years!

I hit with the Truth yes, I hit hard with the Truth yes! but my ongoing Posts continue to successfully correct your defeated Cults ideology and I still have never run anywhere!

Muted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2012 4:17:59 AM
At 11/4/2012 4:00:53 AM, Composer wrote:

To sum up:

["]

This ^

I hit with the Truth yes, I hit hard with the Truth yes! but my ongoing Posts continue to successfully correct your defeated Cults ideology and I still have never run anywhere!

You started busting cults at 12?

WOW! You indeed show remarkable intelligence!
Exterminate!!!!!!-Dalek.

The ability to speak does not make you a competent debater.

One does not simply do the rain dance.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2012 4:32:24 AM

To sum up:

["]

This ^

You've been doing this for 50 years, and the level of intelligence conveyed by your posts is all you've got to show for it? Ummmm ... ok.

I hit with the Truth yes,

Yeah, if you can find it someplace and copy/paste it. Maybe.

I hit hard with the Truth yes!

Huh? By referring people on a religious discussion site to a foundation, the Randi Foundation, which specifically states that it doesn't deal in any religious claims? Yeah, that's a tough lick on everyone.

but my ongoing Posts continue to successfully correct your defeated Cults ideology and I still have never run anywhere!

#1 There is no reason to capitalize the "P" above. None whatsoever.
#2 The same goes for the "C"
#3 How about putting a comma after "ideology"?
#4 Consider placing an apostrophe in "Cults". It seems to be possessive.
#5 "I still have never run anywhere"?

Glad you're something other than an English teacher.
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2012 5:29:10 AM

To sum up:

["]

This ^

If thats what a troll is, then a cult is a complete absence of belief
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2012 7:41:32 AM
Was raised Conservative Christian. Came to this site and gradually gained an open and skeptical mind. Became agnostic for admittedly poor reasons. Came back as a liberal Christian after reconsidering things. Started to lose my faith again after I started getting into philosophy. Couldn't reconcile my faith with my philosophical convictions and I had a hard time justifying my belief anymore. Arguments that used to seem convincing started to look like they had some holes in them, or just lacked substance. I also found the problem of evil a really tough argument (though I don't know). Became a deist for a while but eventually didn't find any of the arguments for God very convincing and am now a reluctant atheist.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
TheAntidoter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2012 7:57:11 AM

To sum up:

According to my source
There are reasons why religion can influence coping. These are logical, rational: It provides a positive, optimistic world view; provides meaning and purpose to life; helps people to psychologically integrate negative things; gives people hope; enhances their motivation; personally empowers them and gives them a sense of control.
Better mental health in turn is related to better physical health. In the last six months, there have been major studies in JAMA, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, and the Lancet showing the connections between better mental health and better physical health--depression in particular, affecting health-related quality of life in coronary artery disease (CAD), affecting Interleukin-6 levels (an indicator of immune functioning) two to three years after the death of the patient. Depressed patients have nearly double the mortality in CAD, and there is experimental evidence that negative affect (or negative mood) influences immune function.
This gives you a sense of the research that is out there. In three of three studies you find a connection between religious involvement and immune and endocrine function; in five of seven studies, the religious experience lower mortality from cancer; in 14 of 23, they have significantly lower blood pressure; in 11 of 14, they have lower mortality; and in 12 of 13, clergy mortality is lower. In addition, numerous new studies are now in review that are currently being evaluated by journals.
Here's an example. Exercise rehab following coronary artery disease--these effects are all the results of meta-analyses. The odds ratio is 1.35, which means a 35% greater chance of being alive in coronary artery disease patients who undergo exercise rehab. This also means 3.7 people are alive per hundred as a result of that behavior when 50 percent of the mixed population has died.
["]
Source: http://www.heritage.org...
AND LET THE SOURCE WARS... BEGIN!

Affinity: Fire
Class: Human
Abilities: ????

Nac.

WOAH, COLORED FONT!
DanielChristopherBlowes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2012 8:07:01 AM
At 11/4/2012 3:23:12 AM, emospongebob527 wrote:
My Mother grew up as an Evangelical Christian and My Dad was raised Deist, when they got married and I was born. Growing up I never went to church but never really thought of the existence of God, never questioned or asserted it. Then after my parents divorced when I was 7, my Dad married a Catholic woman and converted from Deism to Catholicism. My Mom ended up marrying a Catholic also but never converted. Then a couple years after my parents divorced and my Mom was nearly homeless she was saved by our church and they provided for us, and from now on she has been enveloped in some "faith happy experience" where she has been deeply involved in our church and in Christianity itself, as this has gone on I have started to learn about Christianity, questioned the existence of God, did deep soul searching and praying, and nothing happened, after that I declared myself agnostic, approaching the question of God with doubt and neutrality, I came out to my Mom a couple months ago, and she shunned me, this has caused our relationship to plummet and I keep begging her to look past my beliefs and treat me the same, and for that reason, I have decided not to tell my Dad yet. As of right now, I am a strong agnostic/weak atheist.

Fancy a formal debate regarding your signature?
Everyone on the side of Truth listens to Me. (Jesus Christ)
TheAntidoter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2012 8:07:38 AM
At 11/4/2012 3:50:35 AM, Composer wrote:

To sum up:

["]

This ^

I am content knowing your various Cult ideologies are not worth squat
Look at my last post
and I busted them a long time ago
Then why do people still believe in them?
and as you stated: I am metaphorically often labelled by people like you, a #: troll defined as - 1 n. (in Scandinavian folklore) fabulous being, esp. a giant . . . . (POD)
According to The new oxford dictionary
Troll (Internet), an internet term for a person who, through willful action, attempts to disrupt a community or garner attention and controversy through provocative messages
That is the troll you were called.

Conversely you cult busted dupes are a proven - "Troll"
NO way of knowing what definition you speak of.
, which is a five-letter word defined as referring to people (like you) who are asked questions by ' fabulous trolls like me ' that failed religions
Despite the fact there are more of us on this site then you.
like yours e.g. trinitarianism, Mormon, Muslim, christian mystics, spiritualists, J.w's, etc. etc. cannot legitimately answer.
You would not listen anyway, as you say it has already been proven.
Becuase we CAN answer those questions.

What so called xtianity teaches is easily proven absurd
Which is obviously why you still haven't done it yet.
, illegitimate
adjective
not authorized by the law
That is the wrong word to use.
and unsustainable
Wrong word usage again.
and plain WRONG!
(Some) Of us believe that evolution is wrong, but ( at least me ) Don't need to get offensive with it.
even in its fundamentals, according to the very Story book bible benchmark appealed to for some credibility, fails there also.
And you still have not proved it.

You have now forgot vindicated and only. Seriously, do you listen to what i reply to your sig with?

Nac.

WOAH, COLORED FONT!
blameworthy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2012 8:08:28 AM
At 11/4/2012 7:57:11 AM, TheAntidoter wrote:

To sum up:

According to my source
There are reasons why religion can influence coping. These are logical, rational: It provides a positive, optimistic world view; provides meaning and purpose to life; helps people to psychologically integrate negative things; gives people hope; enhances their motivation; personally empowers them and gives them a sense of control.
Better mental health in turn is related to better physical health. In the last six months, there have been major studies in JAMA, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, and the Lancet showing the connections between better mental health and better physical health--depression in particular, affecting health-related quality of life in coronary artery disease (CAD), affecting Interleukin-6 levels (an indicator of immune functioning) two to three years after the death of the patient. Depressed patients have nearly double the mortality in CAD, and there is experimental evidence that negative affect (or negative mood) influences immune function.
This gives you a sense of the research that is out there. In three of three studies you find a connection between religious involvement and immune and endocrine function; in five of seven studies, the religious experience lower mortality from cancer; in 14 of 23, they have significantly lower blood pressure; in 11 of 14, they have lower mortality; and in 12 of 13, clergy mortality is lower. In addition, numerous new studies are now in review that are currently being evaluated by journals.
Here's an example. Exercise rehab following coronary artery disease--these effects are all the results of meta-analyses. The odds ratio is 1.35, which means a 35% greater chance of being alive in coronary artery disease patients who undergo exercise rehab. This also means 3.7 people are alive per hundred as a result of that behavior when 50 percent of the mixed population has died.
["]

This coping mechanism is exactly the flaw in religion. In breeds complacency and prevents people from challenging their oppressors.

With regards to happiness: the least religious nations are the happiest nations. People in these nations are willing to challenge authority and defend their rights as well as aid others. Welfare states are most prominent in nations in which secularism is prevalent. This seems counter intuitive because religion supposedly advocates aiding the poor, but the "religious" people in religious nations tend not to care about others.

http://www.psychologytoday.com...
blameworthy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2012 8:12:19 AM
The less religious a population, the more secure women and women's rights are.

Name one factor in which secular nations are worse than religious-leaning nations.
Heineken
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2012 8:22:08 AM
Has anyone gone from fundamentalistic, hard-core Christianity to an absolute state of disbelief?
Vidi, vici, veni.
(I saw, I conquered, I came.)
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2012 8:22:49 AM
At 11/4/2012 8:22:08 AM, Heineken wrote:
Has anyone gone from fundamentalistic, hard-core Christianity to an absolute state of disbelief?

Microsuck, I think.
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2012 8:25:54 AM
I was never religious: nobody in my family is religious; only one kid at school was religious and as an adult I only have one friend who is religious - but then I live in Britain where being religious is the exception rather than the norm.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
TheAntidoter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2012 8:36:47 AM
At 11/4/2012 8:08:28 AM, blameworthy wrote:
At 11/4/2012 7:57:11 AM, TheAntidoter wrote:

To sum up:

According to my source
["]

This coping mechanism is exactly the flaw in religion. In breeds complacency and prevents people from challenging their oppressors.
Complacency: a feeling of smug or uncritical satisfaction with oneself or one's achievements:
That is what you say it brings to people? And who are you saying the oppressor is?

With regards to happiness: the least religious nations are the happiest nations. People in these nations are willing to challenge authority and defend their rights as well as aid others. Welfare states are most prominent in nations in which secularism is prevalent.
Yes, Becuase defiance of authority is EXACTLY the environment you want to live in.
This seems counter intuitive because religion supposedly advocates aiding the poor,
Supposedly: from the 2012 new oxford dictionary:(often used to indicate that the speaker doubts the truth of the statement):
If you do, then you have nothing to go by your next point.
but the "religious" people in religious nations tend not to care about others.
No, The study shows that the most well-off nations do not want religion. This is because they see no reason to need it. It does not change the fact that they do, only reaction to it.

http://www.psychologytoday.com...

Nac.

WOAH, COLORED FONT!
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2012 9:49:09 AM

http://www.patheos.com...

This guy provides particularly detailed accounts of what he believed before his deconversion, during his deconversion, and after his deconversion. It is really interesting.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2012 1:08:30 PM
At 11/4/2012 8:22:49 AM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:

Microsuck, I think.

He strongly believes God doesn't exist. I'd be a closer example since I'm much more agnostic than him but it depends how you define fundamentalist Christian. I was definitely hard-core though.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Nidhogg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2012 2:20:04 PM

To sum up:

["]

If you want a debate, I will have it with you. This is irrelevant to the topic of the thread.
Ridiculously Photogenic Debater

DDO's most mediocre member since at least a year ago
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2012 12:12:58 AM
At 11/4/2012 8:25:54 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
I was never religious: nobody in my family is religious; only one kid at school was religious and as an adult I only have one friend who is religious - but then I live in Britain where being religious is the exception rather than the norm.

This is really different. I'm used to hearing about atheists who come from a very religious family.
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.