Jump to topic:

Sins of Romans 1 Party Platforms

Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2012 8:18:38 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Recently John McArther has said in a sermon he's sent out for free to lots of houses how the Democratic Party Platform this year is the list of sins from Romans 1 and how it shocked him to see one of the major historic political parties in our country blatantly say they encourage what God condemns.

This has been some source for Sunday School discussion. My dad is a conservative supporter of Mitt Romney and the republican party and brought up how the democrat platform is a list of the sins in Romans 1. One respected man there though who is sick of both parties and is supportive of Gary Johnson I think (mabye Virgle Goode, im not sure) looked up what my dad was talking about and he later came back to him and said "your right, Romans 1 starts out with sins listed in the democrat party platform, but it ends with the sins that are in the Republican Platform"

He didn't say wich ones he was talking about. obviously the ones in the democrat are the ones listed about sexual immorality and perversion. but I have looked it through and I've looked through the republican platform and I cant figure out what he is referring. can any you help me find something from here that could be perceived as related to an issue supported in the GOP platform? from the way he phrased it its bound to be after the sexual sins are spoken of.

http://www.biblegateway.com...
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
DanielChristopherBlowes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2012 7:43:15 AM
At 11/5/2012 8:18:38 PM, Marauder wrote:
Recently John McArther has said in a sermon he's sent out for free to lots of houses how the Democratic Party Platform this year is the list of sins from Romans 1 and how it shocked him to see one of the major historic political parties in our country blatantly say they encourage what God condemns.

This has been some source for Sunday School discussion. My dad is a conservative supporter of Mitt Romney and the republican party and brought up how the democrat platform is a list of the sins in Romans 1. One respected man there though who is sick of both parties and is supportive of Gary Johnson I think (mabye Virgle Goode, im not sure) looked up what my dad was talking about and he later came back to him and said "your right, Romans 1 starts out with sins listed in the democrat party platform, but it ends with the sins that are in the Republican Platform"

He didn't say wich ones he was talking about. obviously the ones in the democrat are the ones listed about sexual immorality and perversion. but I have looked it through and I've looked through the republican platform and I cant figure out what he is referring. can any you help me find something from here that could be perceived as related to an issue supported in the GOP platform? from the way he phrased it its bound to be after the sexual sins are spoken of.

If you go to the 'grace to you' website and watch Macarthur's sermon "homosexuality and morality" sermon he outlines his position clearly..
Everyone on the side of Truth listens to Me. (Jesus Christ)
blameworthy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2012 8:03:53 AM

This is not a Christian nation. Read Article 11 of the Treaty of Tripoli.

AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2012 9:07:35 AM
At 11/6/2012 8:03:53 AM, blameworthy wrote:

And may I ask just what that has to do with anything?
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
adontimasu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2012 9:21:20 AM
At 11/6/2012 9:07:35 AM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:

I assume he believes that McArther's actions are due to him believing that the United States was founded upon Christian ideals (a well-known falsehood).
blameworthy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2012 9:22:44 AM

John McArther is shocked that the party is "encouraging sins that the Bible condemns". I am explaining why he should not be shocked and why we are not obligated to follow the Bible.
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2012 9:37:51 AM
At 11/6/2012 9:22:44 AM, blameworthy wrote:

John McArther is shocked that the party is "encouraging sins that the Bible condemns". I am explaining why he should not be shocked and why we are not obligated to follow the Bible.

I myself am shocked that the party is encouraging sins that the Bible condemns.

According to Wikipedia, in 2008 76% of people identified themselves as Christian. Consider the Bible is the sacred text Christianity, I'm shocked that people seeking Democratic election would endorse ideas contrary to the Bible.
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
blameworthy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2012 9:56:18 AM
At 11/6/2012 9:37:51 AM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:

According to Wikipedia, in 2008 76% of people identified themselves as Christian. Consider the Bible is the sacred text Christianity, I'm shocked that people seeking Democratic election would endorse ideas contrary to the Bible.

Many people are only nominally Christian. Other people are Christian, but are not fascist Christians and do not impose their views on others through the force of law.
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2012 10:13:26 AM
At 11/6/2012 9:56:18 AM, blameworthy wrote:

Many people are only nominally Christian. Other people are Christian, but are not fascist Christians and do not impose their views on others through the force of law.

There's a pretty huge difference between not imposing your views on others and supporting the encouragement of things you believe to be wrong.

Of course, I suppose I'm more shocked at the nominal Christians than the Democratic Party Platform.
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2012 2:24:29 PM
At 11/6/2012 7:43:15 AM, DanielChristopherBlowes wrote:

If you go to the 'grace to you' website and watch Macarthur's sermon "homosexuality and morality" sermon he outlines his position clearly..

I wasnt confused about Mcarthers position. read my post. I know mcarthers and I agree with it. its the man I mentioned in from sunday school who is not for either party that i am confused about. he said as a counter to Mcarthers position that the republican platform includes support of some of the sins in romans 1, i wondered if anyone can help me figure out what that man from sunday school is talking about
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2012 2:30:32 PM
At 11/6/2012 9:56:18 AM, blameworthy wrote:

Its one thing to not impose your religious views that are the foundation of your take on life, God, morality, ect" Its quite another to go out of your way to support the things that are contrary to them.

A Scout is Obedient.
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2012 2:37:00 PM
Anyway, if we could just get back to topic. I didnt start this thread to argue wethor or not a party should or shouldn't endorse sins. I just wanted help identifying a perspective where its not just the democrates but the republican platform thats also guilty of supporting sins from Romans 1.

I read the platform and I read the chapter in the bible. the closest stretch of my imagination is the section of the platform about "American exceptional-ism" being related to arrogance and pride in some way. or perhaps the death penalty and the part in the chapter about murder listed as a sin. but that particular church member I do not think looks at the death penalty like that (though I know some christians do) so I dont think thats what he was referring to being in the republican platform.

please help, I respect the man from my church and would really like to figure out where he is coming from.

A Scout is Obedient.
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2012 11:14:23 AM

"And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient; being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers, backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful: Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them." - Romans Chapter I

The first rule of being a Republican legislature is "trickle down economics", the creation of an economy that favors the rich over the poor; in other words, reducing the amount of money the rich pay in taxes, while increasing the tax burden on the poor. This promotes wealth among a select few, while taking it from the majority. The sins at play here are covetousness and envy.

"Greed (Latin, avaritia), also known as avarice or covetousness, is, like lust and gluttony, a sin of excess. However, greed (as seen by the church) is applied to a very excessive or rapacious desire and pursuit of material possessions. St. Thomas Aquinas wrote that greed was 'a sin against God, just as all mortal sins.' In Dante's Purgatory, the penitents were bound and laid face down on the ground for having concentrated too much on earthly thoughts. 'Avarice' is more of a blanket term that can describe many other examples of greedy behavior. These include disloyalty, deliberate betrayal, or treason, especially for personal gain, for example through bribery . Scavenging and hoarding of materials or objects, theft and robbery, especially by means of violence, trickery, or manipulation of authority are all actions that may be inspired by greed. Such misdeeds can include simony, where one attempts to purchase or sell sacraments, including Holy Orders and, therefore, positions of authority in the Church hierarchy.

As defined outside of Christian writings, greed is an inordinate desire to acquire or possess more than one needs, especially with respect to material wealth." - Wikipedia

The Republican Party historically has been known as the party of bigotry, codifying laws with malicious intent against minorities. The Republican Party has been known to discriminate against every known group, except for rich white protestant males. From unfair pay for women to racial segregation, this is a clear display of the sin of maliciousness.

The Republican Party is known for capital punishment and war. Historically, in the Deep South, having black people executed for either petty crimes against white people or crimes they didn't commit. The Republican Party is known for declaring war on false pretenses, as asserting Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction, for the continued access of oil, as in the Gulf War and the Iraqi War, and for political reasons, as in the Vietnam War.

Debate: See Obstructionist Congress.

Mortgage-back securities and subprime lending, the primary causes of the real estate bubble which led to the recession of 2008, were facilitated by deregulatory laws sponsored and passed by a Republican legislature. This is why Wall Street and the Tea Party throw in full support behind a fiscally conservative legislature. Mortgage-back securities are so complicated not even leading professors of Ivy League colleges and universities understand or support their use. They are seen as distrustful and deceitful evil inventions.

These are only a few of the sins mentioned. For the sake of readability, I will comment on the rest of the sins in a later post.
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2012 10:31:02 AM
At 11/7/2012 11:14:23 AM, s-anthony wrote:

"And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient; being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers, backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful: Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them." - Romans Chapter I

I'm fairly certain the particular associations with the republican party you have made with some of these sins would not be made by the man at my Sunday school from his mutually anti-democrat, anti-republican perspective. I know for certain I've heard contrary views from him to your presentation of "trickle down economics" But I'd like to go ahead and debate these points with you for a while if you'd be willing.
The first rule of being a Republican legislature is "trickle down economics", the creation of an economy that favors the rich over the poor; in other words, reducing the amount of money the rich pay in taxes, while increasing the tax burden on the poor. This promotes wealth among a select few, while taking it from the majority. The sins at play here are covetousness and envy.

....long explanation of church history to show why greed is bad.....

As defined outside of Christian writings, greed is an inordinate desire to acquire or possess more than one needs, especially with respect to material wealth." - Wikipedia

"Trickle down-economics" is not the name of anything in the GOP platform but I know what your talking about so that's not really an important point for me to mention.
but the economics that republicans favor definitely favors the poor greater than they will get from democrats historic "trickle down government" economics. It has to do with a key word called 'infrastructure'. like in Sim city, you could directly raise tax's to raise revenue or you might make more by dropping them so more people move to your city that it makes up the difference.
this is we republicans look at helping the poor more effectively. Lets say your poor and I am the government. You cant afford food so I put you on food stamps. now I pay for you food. normally though its i who have to get the money from you in your tax's. but your not making enough to feed yourself so now I am the one supporting you. as a short term solution to your poverty this is okay but in the long run this isn't good infrastructure. the people are my (the governments) income source. the more I have to support those people, the less I can do it, cause I have less cash. It would help me the most if you could made enough to live the good life and I no longer need to support you like that.
to get that to happen though you need a Job. you don't have one right now and that's a big reason in why your poor. that's how that infrastructure works.
so I go to the man who owns a business. he could hire you right? but he's got to make X amount of money before he can justify adding another payroll to his expenses. So I help him out with lowering the % I tax him.

When his business does better, he can hire more people like you. and he makes more money so even with a lower taxation rate I make more money the same way a lower rate in Sim city can still give you more if you have a higher population.
I also have more money from you also because I'm not paying for food stamps on you anymore when your working. you have your own decent income and I gain from it now. So I am much more equipped to work on the deficit, aid the country, and hundreds of other things the government needs to do.

everyone wins. this cannot be labeled supporting greed just because we advocate giving you a better life than a permanent life on welfare.

The Republican Party historically has been known as the party of bigotry, codifying laws with malicious intent against minorities. The Republican Party has been known to discriminate against every known group, except for rich white protestant males. From unfair pay for women to racial segregation, this is a clear display of the sin of maliciousness.
Do you know what the first Democrat President did, went out of his way to disregard the checks and balances of the constitution to make the Indians walk the trail of tears. Do you know what the first Republican President did? He freed the slaves.
Hear are some major name civil rights and women's suffrage movement advocates from history; Susan B. Anthony, Ida Wells, Mary Terrell, all republicans. Also did you know Republican Senator Aaron Sargent wrote the women"s suffrage amendment in 1878,though it would not be passed by Congress until Republicans again won control of both houses 40 years later.

The Republican Party is known for capital punishment and war. Historically, in the Deep South, having black people executed for either petty crimes against white people or crimes they didn't commit. The Republican Party is known for declaring war on false pretenses, as asserting Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction, for the continued access of oil, as in the Gulf War and the Iraqi War, and for political reasons, as in the Vietnam War.

False pretenses is the actions of some politicians, not an endorsed tactic of the party. and I doubt even you would ignore all the 'historic' false pretenses of the democrat party. Its hardly a platform policy and its most certainly not unique to any particular political ideology.
Debate: See Obstructionist Congress.

Mortgage-back securities and subprime lending, the primary causes of the real estate bubble which led to the recession of 2008, were facilitated by deregulatory laws sponsored and passed by a Republican legislature. This is why Wall Street and the Tea Party throw in full support behind a fiscally conservative legislature. Mortgage-back securities are so complicated not even leading professors of Ivy League colleges and universities understand or support their use. They are seen as distrustful and deceitful evil inventions.

You know I wonder what the party affiliation was of the Chicago lawyer was who was there causing the seeds that would start the housing market collapse. maybe you could tell me after reading his name in this link http://news.investors.com...

These are only a few of the sins mentioned. For the sake of readability, I will comment on the rest of the sins in a later post.

I cannot wait for your chapter 2 :)

A Scout is Obedient.
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2012 11:26:50 PM
At 11/8/2012 10:31:02 AM, Marauder wrote:
"Trickle down-economics" is not the name of anything in the GOP platform but I know what your talking about so that's not really an important point for me to mention.

but the economics that republicans favor definitely favors the poor greater than they will get from democrats historic "trickle down government" economics. It has to do with a key word called 'infrastructure'. like in Sim city, you could directly raise tax's to raise revenue or you might make more by dropping them so more people move to your city that it makes up the difference.
this is we republicans look at helping the poor more effectively. Lets say your poor and I am the government. You cant afford food so I put you on food stamps. now I pay for you food. normally though its i who have to get the money from you in your tax's. but your not making enough to feed yourself so now I am the one supporting you. as a short term solution to your poverty this is okay but in the long run this isn't good infrastructure. the people are my (the governments) income source. the more I have to support those people, the less I can do it, cause I have less cash. It would help me the most if you could made enough to live the good life and I no longer need to support you like that.
to get that to happen though you need a Job. you don't have one right now and that's a big reason in why your poor. that's how that infrastructure works.
so I go to the man who owns a business. he could hire you right? but he's got to make X amount of money before he can justify adding another payroll to his expenses. So I help him out with lowering the % I tax him.

When his business does better, he can hire more people like you. and he makes more money so even with a lower taxation rate I make more money the same way a lower rate in Sim city can still give you more if you have a higher population.
I also have more money from you also because I'm not paying for food stamps on you anymore when your working. you have your own decent income and I gain from it now. So I am much more equipped to work on the deficit, aid the country, and hundreds of other things the government needs to do.

everyone wins. this cannot be labeled supporting greed just because we advocate giving you a better life than a permanent life on welfare.

This all boils down to one's views of the distribution of wealth in society. Either you increase taxes on the top 1% of wage earners and cut government subsidies to large corporations (which the Democrats favor) or you raise taxes on the bottom 99% of wage earners and cut out social welfare programs for the poor (which Republicans favor). Either way you slice it, you're lowering taxes and creating government subsidies; yet, in one scenario, you're lowering taxes and creating government subsidies for those most in need and the other you're lowering taxes and creating government subsidies for the richest top 1% of wage earners.

Of course, your argument is benign; it's only for the growth of the U.S. economy. Stimulating production is not the most efficient way of growing the economy, especially if consumer's income is either lowered through wage deduction or higher taxes. Another and more efficient way to stimulate the economy is through consumption, encouraging the flow of currency through a broad base consumption. As to where the Republican's focus is the top 1% of wage earners, the Democrat's approach is stimulating the economy through the growth of a vibrant middle class, by relieving the tax burden on the poor, the flow of currency is encouraged through consumption. In every other system from ecological conservation to biological preservation, the goal is not to continuously pour support into a strong and hearty organism but into those who are facing extinction. Why would an economical system be any different?

Do you know what the first Democrat President did, went out of his way to disregard the checks and balances of the constitution to make the Indians walk the trail of tears. Do you know what the first Republican President did? He freed the slaves.
Hear are some major name civil rights and women's suffrage movement advocates from history; Susan B. Anthony, Ida Wells, Mary Terrell, all republicans. Also did you know Republican Senator Aaron Sargent wrote the women"s suffrage amendment in 1878,though it would not be passed by Congress until Republicans again won control of both houses 40 years later.

You know as well as I do: the Republican and Democratic parties before Roosevelt were not the same parties of today. There has been a complete reversal of ideologies. It was not the Democratic party of the sixties that opposed the civil rights movement, but the Republican party. As to where the KKK was once staunchly a Democratic movement, it is, now, solely Republican.