Jump to topic:

I am very... very scared!

Volkskorps
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2012 11:10:42 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Check out TheThinkingAtheist's video Burn Victims...

It shows what, apparently, non-Christians will receive. I watched it and I have to say I am quite scared. The pictures are pretty disturbing.
Microsuck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2012 11:42:28 AM
At 11/11/2012 11:10:42 AM, Volkskorps wrote:

It shows what, apparently, non-Christians will receive. I watched it and I have to say I am quite scared. The pictures are pretty disturbing.

Disgusting. It is absolutely disturbing that someone would devote their entire lives worshiping and serving that monster known as Yahweh. If that Yahweh and hell does exist, I would rather burn in hell than worship that hideous monster called "God"
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD
Newsflash: Atheists do not believe in the Devil! - Me
Newsflash: I doesnt matter if you think you do or not.....You do - SD

"you [imabench] are very naive and so i do not consider your opinions as having any merit. you must still be in highschool" - falconduler
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2012 11:45:59 AM
What do burn victims have to do with anything?

Not watching the video for fear of graphic images.
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2012 11:54:46 AM
At 11/11/2012 11:42:28 AM, Microsuck wrote:

Disgusting. It is absolutely disturbing that someone would devote their entire lives worshiping and serving that monster known as Yahweh. If that Yahweh and hell does exist, I would rather burn in hell than worship that hideous monster called "God"

This entire thread is just more food for the trolls.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2012 11:55:09 AM
At 11/11/2012 11:45:59 AM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:

It isn't that bad...
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2012 12:27:40 PM

Generally, atheists believe that the very idea of hell is so dispicable that no one deserves it. Since some christians believe that non belief is a sin worthy of this we are generally disguted by these people
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2012 12:28:47 PM
At 11/11/2012 12:27:40 PM, muzebreak wrote:

Generally, atheists believe that the very idea of hell is so dispicable that no one deserves it. Since some christians believe that non belief is a sin worthy of this we are generally disguted by these people

Thank you for spectacularly failing to answer my question.
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2012 12:31:18 PM
At 11/11/2012 12:28:47 PM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:

The most common image of hell is a pit of fire. Do you get it yet.........

Thank you for spectacularly failing to answer my question.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
Microsuck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2012 12:43:18 PM

He shows the results of different degress of burns up to fourth degree and shows the results of buring in hell.

Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD

"you [imabench] are very naive and so i do not consider your opinions as having any merit. you must still be in highschool" - falconduler
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2012 1:01:17 PM
I will defy all conventions by combining two responses into one post. Come at me.

At 11/11/2012 12:43:18 PM, Microsuck wrote:

He shows the results of different degress of burns up to fourth degree and shows the results of buring in hell.

No one burns in hell.

At 11/11/2012 12:31:18 PM, muzebreak wrote:

Image. Not reality.
Microsuck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2012 1:08:25 PM
At 11/11/2012 1:01:17 PM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:
I will defy all conventions by combining two responses into one post. Come at me.

No one burns in hell.

What is your concept of hell? A LOT of mainstream protestant fundies do believe that there is literal fire in hell and that there is burning in hell.
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD

muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2012 1:17:15 PM

No one burns in hell.

Image. Not reality.

Alright......

Im only going to tell you this once, so please try and understand it.

Your religion is divided into sects who all believe different things, not every comment about christianity is directed towards you so if it conflicts with what you believe then assume it is directed towards those who's beliefs differ from yours.

AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2012 1:34:39 PM
At 11/11/2012 1:08:25 PM, Microsuck wrote:

No one burns in hell.

What is your concept of hell? A LOT of mainstream protestant fundies do believe that there is literal fire in hell and that there is burning in hell.

Hell is eternal separation from God, which is probably worse than being burned. It's not a physical pain, however, but an intense longing.

Protestant fundies are WHACK-WHACK-Whack-whack-OOOOOOOooooooh!!!
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2012 1:35:10 PM
At 11/11/2012 1:17:15 PM, muzebreak wrote:

No one burns in hell.

Image. Not reality.

Alright......

Im only going to tell you this once, so please try and understand it.

Your religion is divided into sects who all believe different things, not every comment about christianity is directed towards you so if it conflicts with what you believe then assume it is directed towards those who's beliefs differ from yours.

Dude, you were the one dying to respond to my question without answering it.
Microsuck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2012 2:07:22 PM
At 11/11/2012 1:34:39 PM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:

No one burns in hell.

Hell is eternal separation from God, which is probably worse than being burned. It's not a physical pain, however, but an intense longing.

1) How would you reconcile that view with the verses in the Bible that do tell of an eternal flame in hell?
2) People live without God their entire lives. I lived without God since my freshmen year in high school. I don't see how that would be torture or worse than being burned.

Amen to that!
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD

Microsuck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2012 2:10:33 PM
At 11/11/2012 2:07:22 PM, Microsuck wrote:

No one burns in hell.

1) How would you reconcile that view with the verses in the Bible that do tell of an eternal flame in hell?
2) People live without God their entire lives. I lived without God since my freshmen year in high school. I don't see how that would be torture or worse than being burned.

Also "The teaching of the Church affirms the existence of hell and its eternity. Immediately after death the souls of those who die in a state of mortal sin descend into hell, where they suffer the punishments of hell, "eternal fire." The chief punishment of hell is eternal separation from God, in whom alone man can possess the life and happiness for which he was created and for which he longs" (CCC 1035).

Amen to that!
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD

AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2012 2:16:12 PM

No one burns in hell.

Figurative. Really, I find it unlikely that the best and most just punishment God could come up with would be literally burning people in literal fire. The flames were probably used to illustrate the unpleasantness.

You've also got verses like in Mark 9

'Where there worm dieth not, and the fire is not extinguished.'

But to take that to mean that there are literal worms living in hell is just bizarre.

No one on Earth is truly without God. You may think you're without Him, but He's still there.

'Hell's principal punishment consists of eternal separation from God in whom alone man can have the life and happiness for which he was created and for which he longs.' - CCC 1057

Amen to that!
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2012 2:17:06 PM
At 11/11/2012 2:10:33 PM, Microsuck wrote:

No one burns in hell.

Also "The teaching of the Church affirms the existence of hell and its eternity. Immediately after death the souls of those who die in a state of mortal sin descend into hell, where they suffer the punishments of hell, "eternal fire." The chief punishment of hell is eternal separation from God, in whom alone man can possess the life and happiness for which he was created and for which he longs" (CCC 1035).

Yeah, but there's not actually fire. That's why it's in quotation marks. Or if there is fire, the fire's not what will be hurting you.
DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2012 10:22:32 PM
There is no reason to be afraid of something that does not exist, or at least that has no supporting evidence of its existence.
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2012 10:41:28 PM

Literal interpretations of hell make me laugh.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2012 10:45:22 PM

Catholic's do not interpret every passage of the Bible literally. Fire is used as a literary device to describe the pain suffered by those that go to hell.

Well, the Catholic perspective is that you are not living without God. His Grace is still there until your final judgement, even if the relationship between the two of you has been destroyed. It is not until a person goes to hell that the grace is no longer there.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2012 10:59:50 PM

Are you really that gullible. It's atheist dogma just like political dogma. The people who made the video are more gullible than you.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2012 10:59:52 PM

No one burns in hell.

Why does it have to be eternal?
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2012 11:31:43 PM
At 11/11/2012 2:16:12 PM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:

No one burns in hell.

Figurative. Really, I find it unlikely that the best and most just punishment God could come up with would be literally burning people in literal fire. The flames were probably used to illustrate the unpleasantness.

But to take that to mean that there are literal worms living in hell is just bizarre.

No one on Earth is truly without God. You may think you're without Him, but He's still there.

'Hell's principal punishment consists of eternal separation from God in whom alone man can have the life and happiness for which he was created and for which he longs.' - CCC 1057

Impossible, God is by definition and nature has a unnecessary existence, which means presence in every possible world, and in every possible world, he has complete omnipresence. It is not possible for there to exist a place where God is not.

Amen to that!
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2012 1:03:55 AM
At 11/11/2012 11:31:43 PM, Smithereens wrote:

No one burns in hell.

Impossible, God is by definition and nature has a unnecessary existence, which means presence in every possible world, and in every possible world, he has complete omnipresence. It is not possible for there to exist a place where God is not.

Agreed, but you misunderstand eternal separation in the context of the passage. It refers to an existence where God's grace is entirely absent.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2012 2:44:50 AM
Wait wait wait... Are you saying that because separation from God is WORSE than eternal hellfire makes the point invalid????
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2012 2:48:44 AM
At 11/12/2012 2:44:50 AM, bossyburrito wrote:
Wait wait wait... Are you saying that because separation from God is WORSE than eternal hellfire makes the point invalid????

What point? Showing a bunch of burned people?

That point is invalid.
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2012 3:54:40 AM
At 11/12/2012 1:03:55 AM, johnnyboy54 wrote:

No one burns in hell.

Agreed, but you misunderstand eternal separation in the context of the passage. It refers to an existence where God's grace is entirely absent.

does God exist in hell?
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2012 4:03:56 AM
At 11/12/2012 3:54:40 AM, Smithereens wrote:
At 11/12/2012 1:03:55 AM, johnnyboy54 wrote:

No one burns in hell.

does God exist in hell?

From what I read from other theologians, I would say yes, he is present in some form in hell. I don't know how it is relevant though.