Total Posts:55|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Where did the term 'MY ROCK' originate from?

TheFogHorn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2012 6:31:09 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Why were rocks first seen as something to rely upon?

Psalm 28:1 Unto thee will I cry, O LORD my rock; be not silent to me: lest, if thou be silent to me, I become like them that go down into the pit.

Psalm 18:2 The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.

Deut 32:4 He is the Rock, his work is perfect: for all his ways are judgment: a God of truth and without iniquity, just and right is he.

Deut 32:15 But Jeshurun waxed fat, and kicked: thou art waxen fat, thou art grown thick, thou art covered with fatness; then he forsook God which made him, and lightly esteemed the Rock of his salvation.

Deut 32:31 For their rock is not as our Rock, even our enemies themselves being judges.

1 Samuel 2:2 There is none holy as the LORD: for there is none beside thee: neither is there any rock like our God.

2 Samuel 22:2 And he said, The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer;

2 Samuel 22:3 The God of my rock; in him will I trust: he is my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my high tower, and my refuge, my saviour; thou savest me from violence.

2 Samuel 22:32 For who is God, save the LORD? and who is a rock, save our God?

2 Samuel 22:47 The LORD liveth; and blessed be my rock; and exalted be the God of the rock of my salvation.

2 Samuel 23:3 The God of Israel said, the Rock of Israel spake to me, He that ruleth over men must be just, ruling in the fear of God.

Psalm 18:2 The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower.

VOLCANOES.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2012 7:35:02 PM
It's like a foundation.

Its from the parable of the wise man and foolish man, where the wise man builds his house house on a rock, or a strong foundation, while the foolish man builds his house on sand, or foundation.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2012 10:52:52 PM
At 11/11/2012 6:31:09 PM, TheFogHorn wrote:

Psalm 28:1 Unto thee will I cry, O LORD my rock; be not silent to me: lest, if thou be silent to me, I become like them that go down into the pit.

Psalm 18:2 The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.

Deut 32:4 He is the Rock, his work is perfect: for all his ways are judgment: a God of truth and without iniquity, just and right is he.

Deut 32:15 But Jeshurun waxed fat, and kicked: thou art waxen fat, thou art grown thick, thou art covered with fatness; then he forsook God which made him, and lightly esteemed the Rock of his salvation.

Deut 32:31 For their rock is not as our Rock, even our enemies themselves being judges.

1 Samuel 2:2 There is none holy as the LORD: for there is none beside thee: neither is there any rock like our God.

2 Samuel 22:2 And he said, The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer;

2 Samuel 22:3 The God of my rock; in him will I trust: he is my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my high tower, and my refuge, my saviour; thou savest me from violence.

2 Samuel 22:47 The LORD liveth; and blessed be my rock; and exalted be the God of the rock of my salvation.

2 Samuel 23:3 The God of Israel said, the Rock of Israel spake to me, He that ruleth over men must be just, ruling in the fear of God.

Psalm 18:2 The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower.

VOLCANOES.

You're still here? I thought you'd been driven off of the site by now.

Is it worth pointing out that pretty much every serious biblical scholar (or basically anyone who can even read the Bible in Hebrew) understands how metaphorical and obscure the passages are? All you did was take some two-thousand year old text that's been through multiple translations and find a bunch of references to things that don't add up. I mean, the text you quote even refers to God as the 'horn of salvation' and 'high tower' while you demand that every allegorical instance of "ROCK" be help up as proof of volcano worship.

The volcano theory has been long dismissed by any serious biblical scholars- and by the way, I think it's a bit hypocritical to call religious believers fanatics when you can't bring yourself to accept even another skeptical theory over your volcano idea.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2012 12:12:13 AM
Why would a rock be seen as something solid? We all know they're as flimsy as gauze.
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
DanielChristopherBlowes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2012 4:12:21 PM
At 11/11/2012 7:35:02 PM, OberHerr wrote:
It's like a foundation.

Its from the parable of the wise man and foolish man, where the wise man builds his house house on a rock, or a strong foundation, while the foolish man builds his house on sand, or foundation.

Correct, top marks.
Everyone on the side of Truth listens to Me. (Jesus Christ)
TheFogHorn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2012 6:38:00 PM
At 11/11/2012 10:52:52 PM, MouthWash wrote:

VOLCANOES.

Is it worth pointing out that pretty much every serious biblical scholar (or basically anyone who can even read the Bible in Hebrew) understands how metaphorical and obscure the passages are? All you did was take some two-thousand year old text that's been through multiple translations and find a bunch of references to things that don't add up. I mean, the text you quote even refers to God as the 'horn of salvation' and 'high tower' while you demand that every allegorical instance of "ROCK" be help up as proof of volcano worship.

The volcano theory has been long dismissed by any serious biblical scholars- and by the way, I think it's a bit hypocritical to call religious believers fanatics when you can't bring yourself to accept even another skeptical theory over your volcano idea.

'High tower' 'Most High' My Rock'

Genesis 49:24
But his bow abode in strength, and the arms of his hands were made strong by the hands of the mighty God of Jacob; (from thence is the shepherd, the stone of Israel:)

and 'stone'.
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2012 12:53:14 AM
At 11/14/2012 6:38:00 PM, TheFogHorn wrote:
At 11/11/2012 10:52:52 PM, MouthWash wrote:

VOLCANOES.

'High tower' 'Most High' My Rock'

Genesis 49:24
But his bow abode in strength, and the arms of his hands were made strong by the hands of the mighty God of Jacob; (from thence is the shepherd, the stone of Israel:)

and 'stone'.

What? I didn't realize that ancient Hebrew had separate words for "rock" and "stone." Lol. Again, English is a very unrelated language to Hebrew, but you insist on translating it the way English people do.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
TheFogHorn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2012 6:43:28 PM
At 11/15/2012 5:46:55 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
This is a very interesting idea. Do you have more evidence? I would love to see it.

Yes, lots and lots. About 150 posts on my blog....see sig below.
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2012 7:38:56 PM
At 11/15/2012 5:46:55 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
This is a very interesting idea. Do you have more evidence? I would love to see it.

Only you could possibly be that stupid, royal: [http://community.beliefnet.com...]
TheFogHorn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2012 8:13:00 PM
Mouthwash is just peeved because I put his nose out of joint in a five round debate on the subject of Yahweh being a volcano god. He only submitted one round and chose to miss the others so his abysmal effort did not appear on the debates section. What a coward? He's had it in for me ever since and my theory makes his blood curdle because it is a constant reminder of his inability to beat a woman in a debate. He has a lot of growing up to do. He is the stupid one.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2012 8:30:10 PM
At 11/15/2012 8:13:00 PM, TheFogHorn wrote:
Mouthwash is just peeved because I put his nose out of joint in a five round debate on the subject of Yahweh being a volcano god. He only submitted one round and chose to miss the others so his abysmal effort did not appear on the debates section. What a coward? He's had it in for me ever since and my theory makes his blood curdle because it is a constant reminder of his inability to beat a woman in a debate. He has a lot of growing up to do. He is the stupid one.

Yeah, MW has issues with basically every woman being more intelligent than he is. I'm going to read through your ideas.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2012 8:33:22 PM
It's like a foundation.

What? That parable is in the new testament and all these verses are Old testament.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2012 8:34:25 PM
At 11/15/2012 8:33:22 PM, phantom wrote:
It's like a foundation.

What? That parable is in the new testament and all these verses are Old testament.

This
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2012 8:35:55 PM
At 11/15/2012 8:34:25 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
It's like a foundation.

This

I hate to be like this and interrupt, but RP: check your Inbox, cuz of the glitch where it doesn't show a message.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2012 8:36:42 PM
It's like a foundation.

I stand corrected. However, the foundation part is the meaning of it.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2012 8:37:50 PM

Yeah, that's why you wouldn't accept another challenge for like three days.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2012 8:40:57 PM
At 11/15/2012 8:36:42 PM, OberHerr wrote:
It's like a foundation.

Yep. Probably.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2012 8:41:00 PM
At 11/15/2012 8:30:10 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

Yeah, MW has issues with basically every woman being more intelligent than he is. I'm going to read through your ideas.

I expect incredible immaturity from TheFogHorn (I suspect she's not even a teenager). Congratulations, royal, you're finally on her level. Debate me on this or whatever pathetic excuse/insult/argument you might have is meaningless.
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2012 8:43:15 PM
At 11/15/2012 8:40:57 PM, phantom wrote:
It's like a foundation.

Yep. Probably.

Do I need to point out how often ancient writers used parables and sayings to get the point across, and how translating it into another language completely ruins the effect and makes idiots like royal and someone who's not old enough to be on this site think they've found references to a volcano?
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2012 8:46:46 PM
At 11/15/2012 8:41:00 PM, MouthWash wrote:

I expect incredible immaturity from TheFogHorn (I suspect she's not even a teenager). Congratulations, royal, you're finally on her level. Debate me on this or whatever pathetic excuse/insult/argument you might have is meaningless.

A female already trounced you on this subject. I don't need to do any work; it's already been done.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2012 8:47:21 PM
At 11/15/2012 8:43:15 PM, MouthWash wrote:
It's like a foundation.

Yep. Probably.

Do I need to point out how often ancient writers used parables and sayings to get the point across, and how translating it into another language completely ruins the effect and makes idiots like royal and someone who's not old enough to be on this site think they've found references to a volcano?

Prove that the Jews (other than Jesus) wrote in parables.
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2012 8:50:59 PM
At 11/15/2012 8:46:46 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 11/15/2012 8:41:00 PM, MouthWash wrote:

A female already trounced you on this subject. I don't need to do any work; it's already been done.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com...
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2012 8:51:31 PM
At 11/15/2012 8:47:21 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
It's like a foundation.

Yep. Probably.

Debate me and I will. Send it right now.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2012 8:54:07 PM
At 11/15/2012 8:51:31 PM, MouthWash wrote:
It's like a foundation.

Yep. Probably.

I don't know anything about the subject, and you've already been crushed. Face it. Yaweh is a volcano god.
TheFogHorn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2012 8:54:11 PM

As suspected.

This is Arsewash's argument against my theory, as stated in his one and only posted round in our debate....

'The Judeo-Christian God is an omnipotent, formless one. [http://en.wikipedia.org......] If they worshipped Mount Sinai as a God, it would be a volcano God. The resolution is negated.'

And that was it! Nothing else! What a joke!

I'm arging that the ancient Hebrews worshipped volcanoes and he goes and talks about Christianity. Ha ha ha!

Then he makes the fatal mistake of saying....'if they worshipped Mount Sinai as a God, it would be a volcano God.'

Talk about putting your mouthwash in it! What a corker! He was meant to be con and not pro!

Of COURSE they worshipped Mount Sinai as a god.

What do these verses suggest was happening at Mount Sinai, the 'mountain of fire'?

http://ohmyvolcano.blogspot.com...

I have a lot of faith in you being able and, most importantly and rarely, WILLING to see the truth in this theory. You have already shown more maturity than that daft clot, who is in fact about a third my age. Makes him seem very very small to me saying that ;)
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2012 8:56:57 PM
You guys remind me of that one youth pastor I had at a camp who believed God was a mountain God who lived on top of mountains with his kingdom on top.
TheFogHorn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2012 8:58:41 PM
At 11/15/2012 8:56:57 PM, phantom wrote:
You guys remind me of that one youth pastor I had at a camp who believed God was a mountain God who lived on top of mountains with his kingdom on top.

Yahweh was not a mountain god but a mountain of fire god with his congregation camped around him.
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2012 8:59:11 PM
At 11/15/2012 8:54:11 PM, TheFogHorn wrote:

As suspected.

This is Arsewash's argument against my theory, as stated in his one and only posted round in our debate....

'The Judeo-Christian God is an omnipotent, formless one. [http://en.wikipedia.org......] If they worshipped Mount Sinai as a God, it would be a volcano God. The resolution is negated.'

And that was it! Nothing else! What a joke!

I'm arging that the ancient Hebrews worshipped volcanoes and he goes and talks about Christianity. Ha ha ha!

Then he makes the fatal mistake of saying....'if they worshipped Mount Sinai as a God, it would be a volcano God.'

Talk about putting your mouthwash in it! What a corker! He was meant to be con and not pro!

Of COURSE they worshipped Mount Sinai as a god.

What do these verses suggest was happening at Mount Sinai, the 'mountain of fire'?

http://ohmyvolcano.blogspot.com...

I have a lot of faith in you being able and, most importantly and rarely, WILLING to see the truth in this theory. You have already shown more maturity than that daft clot, who is in fact about a third my age. Makes him seem very very small to me saying that ;)

If I'm a third your age then I feel nothing but pity for you. I abandoned your little debate after it turns out it wasn't a noobsnipe, then I rechallenged you, but you avoided me at all costs. I've refuted you separately on the forums, so I'm not sure why you continue to bring it up. Must be female angst.
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2012 9:00:42 PM
At 11/15/2012 8:54:07 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 11/15/2012 8:51:31 PM, MouthWash wrote:
It's like a foundation.

Yep. Probably.

I don't know anything about the subject, and you've already been crushed. Face it. Yaweh is a volcano god.

Lol, you have days to do research. If you won't debate me, never speak to me about volcano Gods again. Because I'll be reminding you.