Jump to topic:

"Feeling" God

SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2012 4:21:35 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I've heard many people on here say they feel the presence of Holy Spirit. i've been wondering, if you could describe the feeling, how would you do it? Is it just euphoric or something else? During the time I was a theist, I believe at one point I felt something like this. I was just a little kid, but the feeling was overwhelming and euphoric. I started praying that night for a long long time, and cried (out of happiness). I started doing chores I hadn't done before. It was a profound experience to me as a small boy, who really knew nothing about his religion. Sadly, it only lasted for one night...

So, how do you "feel" God? Also, do any Muslims on here feel God the way Christians do? I haven't been around many of them, and the one I asked this question, answered with "I feel Allah through all he's created." which is well, not the same thing mist Christians talk about.

Please discuss.
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
Paradox_7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2012 5:39:05 PM
I really dislike experience and feeling based confirmation.

There is too much about me, as a man, that is unreliable to depend or hold on to feelings and experiences.

Like you put it, muslims experience stuff, atheists experience stuff, sh*t.. everyone experiences stuff.

I've had plenty of experiences; I try to forget them, and consider them of little value.
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
DavidJames1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2012 5:39:50 PM
At 11/12/2012 4:21:35 PM, SarcasticIndeed wrote:
I've heard many people on here say they feel the presence of Holy Spirit. i've been wondering, if you could describe the feeling, how would you do it? Is it just euphoric or something else? During the time I was a theist, I believe at one point I felt something like this. I was just a little kid, but the feeling was overwhelming and euphoric. I started praying that night for a long long time, and cried (out of happiness). I started doing chores I hadn't done before. It was a profound experience to me as a small boy, who really knew nothing about his religion. Sadly, it only lasted for one night...

So, how do you "feel" God? Also, do any Muslims on here feel God the way Christians do? I haven't been around many of them, and the one I asked this question, answered with "I feel Allah through all he's created." which is well, not the same thing mist Christians talk about.

Please discuss.

The scripture at Galatians 5:22, 23 show the fruitage of having God's holy spirit influence your life. If one demonstrates all these qualities in their life in a Godly way and in accordance with scripture, they must have God's spirit active upon them. This spirit doesn't give one any special powers though. This was done away with in the 1st century AD.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2012 8:53:29 PM
Happy, excited, strange but in a good way.

Keep in mind I'm no longer a theist and I never ever felt strong in my spiritual connection even though I was certain God existed.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2012 12:04:13 AM
I usually feel it during Adoration (I'm a Catholic) and I can't explain it that well. It's sort of a presence. It's very persuasive.
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2014 11:22:42 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/12/2012 4:21:35 PM, SarcasticIndeed wrote:

Please discuss.

It's not necessarily a feeling, it's a state of being. Like others pointed out, it's by the power of the Spirit working in your life that gives evidence God dwells in you. I guess i have "felt" it before (cant' really explain it), but it brings me constant peace, joy, love, gentleness, meekness, patience, long-suffering, etc. it makes me immune to things around me like insults and bad things happening and it controls my anger, fear, and all bad emotions. You know God is there even if you don't feel.
ChosenWolff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2014 11:30:48 AM
It almost feels like you have some weird instinct. Not that you're being talked to, like many Christians claim, but almost like you're being prompted. I have experienced something like this dozens of times over my life.
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2014 12:12:49 PM
At 7/25/2014 11:30:48 AM, ChosenWolff wrote:
It almost feels like you have some weird instinct. Not that you're being talked to, like many Christians claim, but almost like you're being prompted. I have experienced something like this dozens of times over my life.

Nur-Ab-Sal: "I usually feel it"
TruthSeeker: "It's not necessarily a feeling"
ChosenWolf: "It almost feels like"

That's just the old "better-felt-than-explained" aspect of religion that was practically laughed out of existence (supposedly) about 150 yrs ago. Certain sectarians (Baptists, Pentecostals, some Methodists) still cling to it. What no one can figure out is: the Jehovah's Witnesses "feel" it ... the dead-faith Baptists "feel" it ... the Adventists "feel it" .... the Holy Rollers "feel" it. And what's worse, many of the non-Christian cults "feel" it ... some Muslims "feel" it. Is the Holy Spirit that mixed up?

Not only that, in a Baptist revival, the Spirit "prompts" or "influences" certain folks out in the audience, yet they stay seated and behave. However, the same Holy Spirit does the same thing at a Holy Roller meeting, and the recipients jump, dance, gyrate, and roll around in the sawdust. It sure seems like the effects of Spirit influence always seem to mimic the beliefs/behavior of the operators, doesn't it?

The folks listed above do not trust the Holy Scriptures 100%. They want the Scriptures, plus. There IS no special "feeling" that cannot be reproduced in other aspects of life.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."