Jump to topic:

Reckless Self Endagerment

twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2012 9:23:02 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
If heaven is sooo awesome, and religious are 100% of heaven, why don't they kill themselves to go to heaven? It is often answered that if they commit suicide, they won't go to heaven. However, the religious could just endanger themselves to increase the chances of death. They could join the army and go on "suicide missions", or become an Evel Knievel like daredevil. If the religious are 100% sure of heaven, why don't they endanger themselves to get their sooner?
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2012 9:30:13 PM
At 11/14/2012 9:23:02 PM, twocupcakes wrote:
If heaven is sooo awesome, and religious are 100% of heaven, why don't they kill themselves to go to heaven?

Because, you don't decide when where and why. The god or gods decide. Many religions do not teach there is a physical place called heaven. Eastern religions teach reincarnation.

It is often answered that if they commit suicide, they won't go to heaven.

Then there is this.

However, the religious could just endanger themselves to increase the chances of death. They could join the army and go on "suicide missions", or become an Evel Knievel like daredevil.

The true self. Understand the implications of what that means and your question is answered.

If the religious are 100% sure of heaven, why don't they endanger themselves to get their sooner?

Erm...read a little and try to understand theological concepts of different religions, then come back and try again.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2012 9:41:37 PM
They'd probably take it as a sin and why would they want to cause so much grief to those they are close to?
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2012 1:01:24 AM
Well, why didn't God just put us in heaven? Obviously, there is a purpose for being here in the first place.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2012 1:05:44 AM
The same reason they cry at funerals and bandage their cuts. They value life.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2012 1:23:04 AM
If heaven is sooo awesome, and religious are 100% of heaven, why don't they kill themselves to go to heaven? It is often answered that if they commit suicide, they won't go to heaven. However, the religious could just endanger themselves to increase the chances of death. They could join the army and go on "suicide missions", or become an Evel Knievel like daredevil. If the religious are 100% sure of heaven, why don't they endanger themselves to get their sooner?

First of all, I doubt anyone can be 100% sure of heaven.

Second of all, you act as if God would be completely fooled if someone recklessly self-endangered. Like, "Oh, well, he obviously wanted to die, but since all he did was join the army and volunteer for a suicide mission, which isn't technically suicide since someone else killed him, I guess he squeaks by on a technicality. Heaven for him!"
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2012 7:35:08 AM

Many theists claim to be 100% sure of heaven. Also, clearly, I am only talking about religions with a heaven.

Second of all, you act as if God would be completely fooled if someone recklessly self-endangered. Like, "Oh, well, he obviously wanted to die, but since all he did was join the army and volunteer for a suicide mission, which isn't technically suicide since someone else killed him, I guess he squeaks by on a technicality. Heaven for him!"

What if they risked their life in "noble" ways like becoming firefighters, policemen and soldiers. Then, they could take "noble" missions to save people with slim chance of survival. If they are 100% sure of heaven, then death would be the best thing that can happen to them.
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2012 7:37:24 AM
At 11/16/2012 7:35:08 AM, twocupcakes wrote:

Many theists claim to be 100% sure of heaven. Also, clearly, I am only talking about religions with a heaven.

Really. I'm sure not.

What if they risked their life in "noble" ways like becoming firefighters, policemen and soldiers. Then, they could take "noble" missions to save people with slim chance of survival. If they are 100% sure of heaven, then death would be the best thing that can happen to them.

That's fine, I guess, although I would hardly call that 'reckless'.
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2012 7:38:50 AM
Also, to those who believe it is tough to get in to heaven, it makes even more sense to die soon. If they die now, they will get into heaven. If they continue to live, they run the chance of doing something that makes them go to hell.
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2012 7:42:35 AM
Really. I'm sure not.

Yeah man. It is strange to think. But many people are 100% sure of heaven and their religion.

I'm talking about reckless missions. Like taking on enemies outnumbered, going on solo missions, and running into burning buildings no matter how dangerous.
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2012 9:07:39 AM
At 11/16/2012 7:42:35 AM, twocupcakes wrote:
Really. I'm sure not.

Yeah man. It is strange to think. But many people are 100% sure of heaven and their religion.

I'm probably going to hell, so yeah. I sure hope I don't die anytime soon.

I'm talking about reckless missions. Like taking on enemies outnumbered, going on solo missions, and running into burning buildings no matter how dangerous.

According to the Oxford English Dictionary, with which I have a love affair, 'reckless' means 'Heedless of or indifferent to the consequences of one's actions; lacking in prudence or caution; willing or liable to take risks; rash, foolhardy; irresponsible.'.

I think you would probably be censurable for being reckless and stupid, especially if your intent was to cause the end of your life. If you legitimately did not intend for your death, then you would probably not be condemnable.
TheAntidoter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2012 9:26:44 AM
At 11/16/2012 7:38:50 AM, twocupcakes wrote:
Also, to those who believe it is tough to get in to heaven, it makes even more sense to die soon. If they die now, they will get into heaven. If they continue to live, they run the chance of doing something that makes them go to hell.

One thing that could( could, is still up for discussion) answer this is they want more people to go to heaven. If they committed suicide then other people will go to hell.
Affinity: Fire
Class: Human
Abilities: ????

Nac.

WOAH, COLORED FONT!
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2012 5:08:11 PM

Is it possible that God could have a purpose or meaning for our life?? Maybe we each have a role to fill, a reason for being here. Whether we know it or not we all do things for God. For some of us, if nothing else we serve as bad examples. :)