Jump to topic:

What is God?

MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2012 3:29:00 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
How can a mind be formless? Aren't things like emotions and thoughts a product of connections in a brain? I've never heard God specifically defined before.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2012 3:37:47 PM
i do believe things like emotions and thoughts were originally attributed to a soul and thus godliness. determinism kinda throws a spanner in the works...
signature
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2012 3:44:57 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org...

^that dude. i guess i'm making leaps in assuming we have no idea how it sees... scientists can probably point to some area or something at least.. that glowy stuff looks like brains...

maybe we still have souls and they still do something or something? i dunno, i'ma leave this thread now...
signature
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2012 3:45:27 PM
At 11/21/2012 3:41:25 PM, badger wrote:
there's a certain type of jelly fish that can see and we have no idea how... he's just jelly with eyes...

Therefore, magic.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2012 3:45:43 PM
At 11/21/2012 3:39:31 PM, badger wrote:
though i take it this is just argument against god rather than honest inquiry...

Why? I'm a theist.
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2012 4:04:43 PM
eh, i guess it's still consciousness born of matter... i dunno, determinism kinda ruined god for me anyway. well, as regards giving a fvck anyway. it's not to declare consciousness exclusively of it, though.
signature
truthseeker613
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2012 6:11:53 PM
At 11/21/2012 3:29:00 PM, MouthWash wrote:
How can a mind be formless? Aren't things like emotions and thoughts a product of connections in a brain?

Out line of lecture by Prof. Gottlieb on "EVIDENCE FOR THE SOUL":

1.Kripke, Nagel, Chalmers: inconceivability of the reduction of consciousness to the brain.

Standard reductions start with a concept that is defined solely in functional terms, and then a physical mechanism is discovered that performs the function. Consciousness has a function plus a positive character, and we have no concept of how that positive character could be reduced to the brain [or anything physical].

The positive character includes felt experience and the first-person point of view ["how it is for the subject"] the possibility of a zombie refutes the reducibility of the felt experience; the public character of physical facts refutes the reducibility of the first person character of experience.

2. Quantum Mechanics: the double slit experiment " when not observed there is a wave-like pattern of [square root of] probability. When observed there is a particle. [So it behave like a particle and a wave under the identical conditions.] The state of each thing that interacts with the probability splits up into probabilities also. Measurement "collapses the probabilities" and recovers the particle. The problem: The measurement apparatus " machine or human/machine " is also just more particles which ought to split up! How does measurement collapse the split? John Wheeler, David Mermin, David Albert: consciousness of the effect cuases the collapse " and that consciousness must not be physical! [Other "solutions": heat, gravity, many worlds".]

3. Philosophy of mathematics: knowledge and reference seem to require interaction with the object of knowledge. Mathematical objects are abstract " non-physical. How can there be interaction with them? Godel: we "perceive" mathematical objects in a non-physical way. [Math not a generalization from experience, not "true by definition". Wigner: the unreasonable applicability of mathematics.]

4. John Searle, Rationality in Action: The reasons for a decision are experienced as not a sufficient cause for the decision. We act on the reasons, we carry them out in action. [We do not just wait to see what happens.] There is a gap in the causation between the reasons and the action. The responsibility for the action is due to a continuing conscious self that makes the choice and experiences the results. If the underlying neuro-physiology is deterministic, then the experience of the gap is an illusion, then the conscious response to the gap has no real effect on the action " it is a systematic property of the brain as a whole that is an "epiphenomenon". Evolution would not have produced that. So the underlying neuro-physiology must be indeterministic. [So far Searle.] But given #2, since this self must be conscious, it cannot be reduced to the brain".

http://www.dovidgottlieb.com...

http://blog.dovidgottlieb.com...

I've never heard God specifically defined before.

Top lecture "Speaking About G-d", by Prof. Gottlieb :
http://www.dovidgottlieb.com...

http://www.amazon.com...

http://www.skepticalchristian.com...

http://lmgtfy.com...
http://www.nydailynews.com...

royalpaladin: I'd rather support people who kill spies than a nation that organizes assassination squads (Kidon) to illegally enter into other nations and kill anybody who is not a Zionist. Who knows when they'll kill me for the crime of not supporting Israel?

Koopin: LOL! I just imagine Royal sitting in here apartment at night, when suddenly she hears a man outside speaking Hebrew as sh
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2012 6:46:20 PM
How can a mind be formless? Aren't things like emotions and thoughts a product of connections in a brain? I've never heard God specifically defined before.

For me, God is what is.
Dogknox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2012 7:31:41 PM
1 John 4:8
Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.

1 John 4:16
And so we know and rely on the love God has for us. God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in them.

MouthWash Animals have brains but they cannot LOVE! Only man is made in the image of God.. Thus only Man can LOVE, only man can HATE!!

Dogknox
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2012 7:41:26 PM
At 11/21/2012 7:31:41 PM, Dogknox wrote:
MouthWash Animals have brains but they cannot LOVE! Only man is made in the image of God.. Thus only Man can LOVE, only man can HATE!!

Dogknox

So, your evidence for this is what?
Dogknox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2012 9:05:55 PM
At 11/21/2012 7:41:26 PM, s-anthony wrote:

Dogknox

s-anthony Hello I hope all is well..
I reply with scriptures..as always.

s-anthony DO YOU SEE IT?? God is love.

And so we know and rely on the love God has for us. God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in them.

s-anthony Love is GIVING of yourself from the heart.. Only man can make a conscience decision to LOVE, or Hate!

Animals.. Pigs, cows, dogs, cats, snails, frogs etc... can't love!

Man is made in the image of God.. God IS love!
1 Corinthians 11:7
A man ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God; but woman is the glory of man.

Colossians 3:10
and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge in the image of its Creator.

God is LOVE, man is made in the image of LOVE!

Dogknox
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2012 9:46:13 PM
At 11/21/2012 9:05:55 PM, Dogknox wrote:

Dogknox

s-anthony Love is GIVING of yourself from the heart.. Only man can make a conscience decision to LOVE, or Hate!

A man ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God; but woman is the glory of man.

and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge in the image of its Creator.

Dogknox

Which verse quoted says animals cannot love?

Also, since "woman is the glory of man," not God, does that mean she's not capable of love, either?
Cometflash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2012 9:48:51 PM
At 11/21/2012 9:05:55 PM, Dogknox wrote:

Dogknox

Dogknox
So when you love someone, you are seeing God? (That would make sense, God is in all of us, right?)
When you do something for love, you do it for God?

I guess people should stop using the term "making love"...

You know what, that could make an interesting story.

Story begins...
God is love.

Is know that every time a human falls in love with one another, a God may be created into the heavens. Is a rare occasion, the love must be true and pure, and the act of making love consume both, and from the essence of both loving mortals, a God is created into the heavens.
DanielChristopherBlowes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2012 3:35:44 AM

He is a consuming fire!
Everyone on the side of Truth listens to Me. (Jesus Christ)
Konjim
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2012 5:57:01 AM

we can not defined god i am also agree with mouthwash . God is super natural power and we just follow his rule and pray for us because it is our believe that god our lord and we are only follower .
http://www.krishna333.com...
paintings of Krishna
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2012 10:45:12 AM
What is god?
Baby don't smite me
Baby don't smite me
No more
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2012 4:57:13 PM
At 11/23/2012 10:45:12 AM, bossyburrito wrote:
What is god?
Baby don't smite me
Baby don't smite me
No more

Win.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
DanielChristopherBlowes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2012 6:29:04 AM
At 11/23/2012 10:45:12 AM, bossyburrito wrote:
What is god?
Baby don't smite me
Baby don't smite me
No more

For a DDO gold star, who sang; 'God is a concept, by which we measure our pain..'?
Everyone on the side of Truth listens to Me. (Jesus Christ)
Dogknox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2012 3:23:14 PM
Cometflash You said..
So when you love someone, you are seeing God? (That would make sense, God is in all of us, right?)
When you do something for love, you do it for God?

I guess people should stop using the term "making love"...

You know what, that could make an interesting story.

Story begins...
God is love.

Is know that every time a human falls in love with one another, a God may be created into the heavens. Is a rare occasion, the love must be true and pure, and the act of making love consume both, and from the essence of both loving mortals, a God is created into the heavens.

I reply: You are close... When two people give themselves "IN LOVE" Life is created!!

"God is LOVE" he is creator... When a husband and wife "Make Love" they are "Acting as God" they are as close to god, as never before!
Love creates.. Satan has perverted the "Loving Act" into something dirty! Something for self pleasure, not loving!

Dogknox
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2012 9:18:58 PM
At 11/24/2012 3:23:14 PM, Dogknox wrote:
"God is LOVE" he is creator... When a husband and wife "Make Love" they are "Acting as God" they are as close to god, as never before!
Love creates.. Satan has perverted the "Loving Act" into something dirty! Something for self pleasure, not loving!

Dogknox

Who determines when it's a loving act or something dirty?
Deathbeforedishonour
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2012 9:37:03 PM
Do you really think such a tiny brain can comprehend something as big as God? Stop trying to. The Bible describes Him as a he, and give his attributes. But you will never be able to comprehend Him fully.
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." ~ John 1:1

Matthew 10:22- "And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved."
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2012 3:45:31 PM
http://rogerthatovary.blogspot.com...
I swear I thought of it before him. I SWEAR!!!
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Dogknox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2012 3:59:04 PM
s-anthony
You asked.. Which verse quoted says animals cannot love?

Also, since "woman is the glory of man," not God, does that mean she's not capable of love, either?

I reply: The verse says.. "Man is made in the image of God!" It does not say.. "Man and Animals are made in the image of God"!

By the word "man" it means all peoples.. "Men and women!"
26 Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals, and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

27 So God created mankind in his own image,
in the image of God he created them;
male and female he created them.

Woman can love, they came from Man.. Eve was formed from Adam! Animals did not come from man!
Animals are not formed in God' image as Adam was!
All peoples born are born Adam' children.. all have roots back to Adam!
Adam was formed in the image of God!
Eve came from Adam..Thus she is in the image of God also!
All people have roots back to Adam.. Thus all peoples are formed in God' image!!

No Animals have roots to Adam, no animals have roots to Adam, none are formed in God' image none can love!

Dogknox
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2012 5:06:31 PM
At 11/25/2012 3:59:04 PM, Dogknox wrote:
I reply: The verse says.. "Man is made in the image of God!" It does not say.. "Man and Animals are made in the image of God"!

In whose image are animals made? Are they good or evil? If good, then, it would go to reason, they were created in the image of God; for, God is good. If evil, why did such a good god create such evil things?

By the word "man" it means all peoples.. "Men and women!"
26 Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals, and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

27 So God created mankind in his own image,
in the image of God he created them;
male and female he created them.

Woman can love, they came from Man.. Eve was formed from Adam! Animals did not come from man!
Animals are not formed in God' image as Adam was!
All peoples born are born Adam' children.. all have roots back to Adam!
Adam was formed in the image of God!
Eve came from Adam..Thus she is in the image of God also!
All people have roots back to Adam.. Thus all peoples are formed in God' image!!

No Animals have roots to Adam, no animals have roots to Adam, none are formed in God' image none can love!

Dogknox

Why would animals need to have descended from Adam, when they've descended from God, directly? Did not God parent them? Did not God give them life? Wasn't it God that had given them birth? If not, then, who? Were they the offspring of Hell? Did the Devil give birth to their creation?