Total Posts:75|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

If evolution was proven true/false to you

phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2012 11:00:11 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Full question: If you were completely convinced against your current view of evolution, how would it change your religious and perhaps philosophical view point, and would you be glad or sad?

I was going to answer but my dog won't stfu so be right back.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
wiploc
Posts: 1,485
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2012 11:02:59 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
If we found a rabbit in the Cretaceous (or whatever), that would call evolution into question. It would not call science into question, nor would it even suggest that magic works.
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2012 11:06:32 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/22/2012 11:02:59 AM, wiploc wrote:
If we found a rabbit in the Cretaceous (or whatever), that would call evolution into question. It would not call science into question, nor would it even suggest that magic works.

I'm not sure what you're getting at.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2012 11:12:04 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
If I was completely convinced that evolution was false, I would have to drastically reconsider my worldview. It would suddenly be a lot more difficult to be an atheist. I would probably immediately become agnostic and then perhaps over time become a theist again. Evolution is the biological explanation for life that doesn't require God and I don't see any other theories that could really explain it besides intelligent design. I'd also be glad for it as I am someone who naturally wrestles a lot with the meaning of life and the thought of nothing after death. I would have more grounds for hope.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2012 11:23:29 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
It would not change me much. I believe in evolution but I don't really think the issue influences my belief in god. I actually don't understand Christian opposition to evolution.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2012 11:30:38 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
If evolution was proven false then it wouldn't change anything else.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Posts: 2,900
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2012 12:09:54 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/22/2012 11:23:29 AM, 16kadams wrote:
It would not change me much. I believe in evolution but I don't really think the issue influences my belief in god. I actually don't understand Christian opposition to evolution.
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2012 12:15:07 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I would find a way to be happy about it.

I would probably say that aliens put life on Earth and made it look like evolution happened just as a big joke. Which would give me hope for the future of space-faring species.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2012 12:28:11 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/22/2012 12:15:07 PM, FREEDO wrote:
I would find a way to be happy about it.

I would probably say that aliens put life on Earth and made it look like evolution happened just as a big joke. Which would give me hope for the future of space-faring species.

This maybe? I don't know, I'm sure a bunch of alien-type theories would be conjured up as explanation for life. I might go back to deism.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
truthseeker613
Posts: 464
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2012 2:27:57 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/22/2012 11:00:11 AM, phantom wrote:
Full question: If you were completely convinced against your current view of evolution, how would it change your religious and perhaps philosophical view point, and would you be glad or sad?

I was going to answer but my dog won't stfu so be right back.

Well I'm agnostic when it comes to evolution (& most things):

If I became completely convinced of evolution(Which is highly unlikely):
I my belief in religion would some what weaken but not significantly.
I would probably be some what "sad" but not significantly.

If I became convinced that Evolution is false:
My belief would strengthen.
Idk how I would feel. probably a bit happy.
http://www.nydailynews.com...

royalpaladin: I'd rather support people who kill spies than a nation that organizes assassination squads (Kidon) to illegally enter into other nations and kill anybody who is not a Zionist. Who knows when they'll kill me for the crime of not supporting Israel?

Koopin: LOL! I just imagine Royal sitting in here apartment at night, when suddenly she hears a man outside speaking Hebrew as sh
Rational_Thinker9119
Posts: 9,054
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2012 3:03:03 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/22/2012 11:12:04 AM, phantom wrote:
If I was completely convinced that evolution was false, I would have to drastically reconsider my worldview. It would suddenly be a lot more difficult to be an atheist. I would probably immediately become agnostic and then perhaps over time become a theist again. Evolution is the biological explanation for life that doesn't require God and I don't see any other theories that could really explain it besides intelligent design. I'd also be glad for it as I am someone who naturally wrestles a lot with the meaning of life and the thought of nothing after death. I would have more grounds for hope.

"Evolution is the biological explanation for life that doesn't require God"

Evolution isn't an explanation for life, it's only an explanation with regards to how life evolves.
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2012 3:09:12 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/22/2012 11:00:11 AM, phantom wrote:
Full question: If you were completely convinced against your current view of evolution, how would it change your religious and perhaps philosophical view point, and would you be glad or sad?

I was going to answer but my dog won't stfu so be right back.

Nothing would change to be honest. Only thing I believe that depends on evolution is my belief against Adam and Eve....and if evolution were false, there'd have to be a new way to account for all of that evidence, and whatever that is would probably just preclude Christianity and provide a new science.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Kinesis
Posts: 3,667
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2012 3:21:24 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
It wouldn't change much. I have no idea if gods exists, and I would have no idea if gods exists if evolution were false. It would marginally increase the probability of theism by eliminating one competing explanation for biodiversity, but there are an infinite variety of other competing design explanations, and the possibility of an explanation that nobody has thought of yet. It wouldn't even be enough to convert me to deism.
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2012 3:23:43 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
the evolutionist would be like, yeah, this is all still random... just way more so to a degree that was we have absolutely no fvcking clue whatsoever what is going on. and i'd still be like... ammm, what in the name of fvck is going on here?!?!
signature
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2012 3:27:51 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/22/2012 3:23:43 PM, badger wrote:
the evolutionist would be like, yeah, this is all still random... just way more so to a degree that was we have absolutely no fvcking clue whatsoever what is going on. and i'd still be like... ammm, what in the name of fvck is going on here?!?!

not to say i don't believe evolution to be the case, just to say - well, where does it really get us as regards ultimate knowledge anyway? it's not to explain away the worth of consciousness to me, even if to paint it in somewhat of a negative light.
signature
Cometflash
Posts: 126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2012 3:35:43 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/22/2012 11:12:04 AM, phantom wrote:
If I was completely convinced that evolution was false, I would have to drastically reconsider my worldview. It would suddenly be a lot more difficult to be an atheist. I would probably immediately become agnostic and then perhaps over time become a theist again. Evolution is the biological explanation for life that doesn't require God and I don't see any other theories that could really explain it besides intelligent design. I'd also be glad for it as I am someone who naturally wrestles a lot with the meaning of life and the thought of nothing after death. I would have more grounds for hope.

Certainty does not qualify something to be true.
Example, someone talk to me via writing, and they said their birthday was the 31 of July(it happen this year). It was only like a month or so before the person's birthday, so I wanted to remember and say happy birthday when time came.
When time approached, I kept awaiting to July 30th to arrive, so I could say happy birthday. On July 30th, I did so, but I did as soon as it was pass 12 at my time zone, but the birthday person time zone was 3 hours behind, so I acknowledge the early wishes.
At the 31st, I notice that was when the person said to be having the birthday, but I remember with certainty that the person said 30th, the person did acknowledge that maybe by a mistake, it was given a wrong day, but the true was the birthday was today (31th).
I then remember that I had noted somewhere the birthday date. And that to my surprise I had written 31th of July. So now I was certain, that my certainty was incorrect.

So now I have a new certainty, and it looks correct, doesn't it?

But consider this, what if I read 30th, which was what really was written by mistake, and I noted down 31th? Is very unlikely that this happen, but still does not deny the possibility.

So can my certainty ever be certain about this?
DanielChristopherBlowes
Posts: 1,066
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2012 4:18:54 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/22/2012 11:00:11 AM, phantom wrote:
Full question: If you were completely convinced against your current view of evolution, how would it change your religious and perhaps philosophical view point, and would you be glad or sad?

I was going to answer but my dog won't stfu so be right back.

If there was a SHRED of evidence for evolution my faith in Jesus Christ would be utterly destroyed..

Good thing there isn't!
Everyone on the side of Truth listens to Me. (Jesus Christ)
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2012 4:30:19 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/22/2012 4:18:54 PM, DanielChristopherBlowes wrote:
At 11/22/2012 11:00:11 AM, phantom wrote:
Full question: If you were completely convinced against your current view of evolution, how would it change your religious and perhaps philosophical view point, and would you be glad or sad?

I was going to answer but my dog won't stfu so be right back.

If there was a SHRED of evidence for evolution my faith in Jesus Christ would be utterly destroyed..

Good thing there isn't!

have you considered everything wnope's been saying? could you explain to me what the twin nested hierwotsit is?
signature
DanielChristopherBlowes
Posts: 1,066
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2012 4:31:29 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/22/2012 4:30:19 PM, badger wrote:
At 11/22/2012 4:18:54 PM, DanielChristopherBlowes wrote:
At 11/22/2012 11:00:11 AM, phantom wrote:
Full question: If you were completely convinced against your current view of evolution, how would it change your religious and perhaps philosophical view point, and would you be glad or sad?

I was going to answer but my dog won't stfu so be right back.

If there was a SHRED of evidence for evolution my faith in Jesus Christ would be utterly destroyed..

Good thing there isn't!

have you considered everything wnope's been saying? could you explain to me what the twin nested hierwotsit is?

It's a THEORY..
Everyone on the side of Truth listens to Me. (Jesus Christ)
DanielChristopherBlowes
Posts: 1,066
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2012 4:33:12 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/22/2012 4:32:26 PM, badger wrote:
the adam and eve scene of the bible is awesome.

This why you have no standing on DDO..
Everyone on the side of Truth listens to Me. (Jesus Christ)
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2012 4:34:02 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/22/2012 4:31:29 PM, DanielChristopherBlowes wrote:
At 11/22/2012 4:30:19 PM, badger wrote:
At 11/22/2012 4:18:54 PM, DanielChristopherBlowes wrote:
At 11/22/2012 11:00:11 AM, phantom wrote:
Full question: If you were completely convinced against your current view of evolution, how would it change your religious and perhaps philosophical view point, and would you be glad or sad?

I was going to answer but my dog won't stfu so be right back.

If there was a SHRED of evidence for evolution my faith in Jesus Christ would be utterly destroyed..

Good thing there isn't!

have you considered everything wnope's been saying? could you explain to me what the twin nested hierwotsit is?

It's a THEORY..

so is your personal god...
signature
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2012 4:35:08 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/22/2012 4:33:12 PM, DanielChristopherBlowes wrote:
At 11/22/2012 4:32:26 PM, badger wrote:
the adam and eve scene of the bible is awesome.

This why you have no standing on DDO..

because i express myself? also, no standing?
signature
DanielChristopherBlowes
Posts: 1,066
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2012 4:36:01 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/22/2012 4:34:02 PM, badger wrote:
At 11/22/2012 4:31:29 PM, DanielChristopherBlowes wrote:
At 11/22/2012 4:30:19 PM, badger wrote:
At 11/22/2012 4:18:54 PM, DanielChristopherBlowes wrote:
At 11/22/2012 11:00:11 AM, phantom wrote:
Full question: If you were completely convinced against your current view of evolution, how would it change your religious and perhaps philosophical view point, and would you be glad or sad?

I was going to answer but my dog won't stfu so be right back.

If there was a SHRED of evidence for evolution my faith in Jesus Christ would be utterly destroyed..

Good thing there isn't!

have you considered everything wnope's been saying? could you explain to me what the twin nested hierwotsit is?

It's a THEORY..

so is your personal god...

Right, but I'm not teaching it to children as fact, funded by taxes..
Everyone on the side of Truth listens to Me. (Jesus Christ)
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2012 4:40:11 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/22/2012 4:36:01 PM, DanielChristopherBlowes wrote:
At 11/22/2012 4:34:02 PM, badger wrote:
At 11/22/2012 4:31:29 PM, DanielChristopherBlowes wrote:
At 11/22/2012 4:30:19 PM, badger wrote:
At 11/22/2012 4:18:54 PM, DanielChristopherBlowes wrote:
At 11/22/2012 11:00:11 AM, phantom wrote:
Full question: If you were completely convinced against your current view of evolution, how would it change your religious and perhaps philosophical view point, and would you be glad or sad?

I was going to answer but my dog won't stfu so be right back.

If there was a SHRED of evidence for evolution my faith in Jesus Christ would be utterly destroyed..

Good thing there isn't!

have you considered everything wnope's been saying? could you explain to me what the twin nested hierwotsit is?

It's a THEORY..

so is your personal god...

Right, but I'm not teaching it to children as fact, funded by taxes..

fair enough, lol. i'm not qualified to be having this discussion with you. i just came into this asking have you given evolution honest consideration.
signature
DanielChristopherBlowes
Posts: 1,066
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2012 4:41:35 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/22/2012 4:40:11 PM, badger wrote:
At 11/22/2012 4:36:01 PM, DanielChristopherBlowes wrote:
At 11/22/2012 4:34:02 PM, badger wrote:
At 11/22/2012 4:31:29 PM, DanielChristopherBlowes wrote:
At 11/22/2012 4:30:19 PM, badger wrote:
At 11/22/2012 4:18:54 PM, DanielChristopherBlowes wrote:
At 11/22/2012 11:00:11 AM, phantom wrote:
Full question: If you were completely convinced against your current view of evolution, how would it change your religious and perhaps philosophical view point, and would you be glad or sad?

I was going to answer but my dog won't stfu so be right back.

If there was a SHRED of evidence for evolution my faith in Jesus Christ would be utterly destroyed..

Good thing there isn't!

have you considered everything wnope's been saying? could you explain to me what the twin nested hierwotsit is?

It's a THEORY..

so is your personal god...

Right, but I'm not teaching it to children as fact, funded by taxes..

fair enough, lol. i'm not qualified to be having this discussion with you. i just came into this asking have you given evolution honest consideration.

You don't give counterfeit money consideration when you have the real thing..
Everyone on the side of Truth listens to Me. (Jesus Christ)
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2012 4:42:54 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/22/2012 4:41:35 PM, DanielChristopherBlowes wrote:
At 11/22/2012 4:40:11 PM, badger wrote:
At 11/22/2012 4:36:01 PM, DanielChristopherBlowes wrote:
At 11/22/2012 4:34:02 PM, badger wrote:
At 11/22/2012 4:31:29 PM, DanielChristopherBlowes wrote:
At 11/22/2012 4:30:19 PM, badger wrote:
At 11/22/2012 4:18:54 PM, DanielChristopherBlowes wrote:
At 11/22/2012 11:00:11 AM, phantom wrote:
Full question: If you were completely convinced against your current view of evolution, how would it change your religious and perhaps philosophical view point, and would you be glad or sad?

I was going to answer but my dog won't stfu so be right back.

If there was a SHRED of evidence for evolution my faith in Jesus Christ would be utterly destroyed..

Good thing there isn't!

have you considered everything wnope's been saying? could you explain to me what the twin nested hierwotsit is?

It's a THEORY..

so is your personal god...

Right, but I'm not teaching it to children as fact, funded by taxes..

fair enough, lol. i'm not qualified to be having this discussion with you. i just came into this asking have you given evolution honest consideration.

You don't give counterfeit money consideration when you have the real thing..

so that's a no.
signature
DanielChristopherBlowes
Posts: 1,066
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2012 4:46:33 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/22/2012 4:42:54 PM, badger wrote:
At 11/22/2012 4:41:35 PM, DanielChristopherBlowes wrote:
At 11/22/2012 4:40:11 PM, badger wrote:
At 11/22/2012 4:36:01 PM, DanielChristopherBlowes wrote:
At 11/22/2012 4:34:02 PM, badger wrote:
At 11/22/2012 4:31:29 PM, DanielChristopherBlowes wrote:
At 11/22/2012 4:30:19 PM, badger wrote:
At 11/22/2012 4:18:54 PM, DanielChristopherBlowes wrote:
At 11/22/2012 11:00:11 AM, phantom wrote:
Full question: If you were completely convinced against your current view of evolution, how would it change your religious and perhaps philosophical view point, and would you be glad or sad?

I was going to answer but my dog won't stfu so be right back.

If there was a SHRED of evidence for evolution my faith in Jesus Christ would be utterly destroyed..

Good thing there isn't!

have you considered everything wnope's been saying? could you explain to me what the twin nested hierwotsit is?

It's a THEORY..

so is your personal god...

Right, but I'm not teaching it to children as fact, funded by taxes..

fair enough, lol. i'm not qualified to be having this discussion with you. i just came into this asking have you given evolution honest consideration.

You don't give counterfeit money consideration when you have the real thing..

so that's a no.

Only if you know it's counterfeit, by possessing the real thing..
Everyone on the side of Truth listens to Me. (Jesus Christ)
DanielChristopherBlowes
Posts: 1,066
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2012 4:52:20 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/22/2012 4:48:20 PM, badger wrote:
you realise spamming "GOD" is by no means convincing, right? :P

But more convincing than a teenage troll..
Everyone on the side of Truth listens to Me. (Jesus Christ)