Jump to topic:

The REAL purpose of LIFE

maj
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2012 5:47:16 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Have you ever asked yourself these questions?
"What is the purpose of L I F E?"
"My life?"
"Your Life?"

Could the acquisition of wealth guarantee happiness?
When we hear of millionaires or members of their families committing suicide, how could we consider the purpose of life would be to gain great wealth?
A child of 5 years would obviously prefer a new toy to a deposit slip for a million dollars.
A teenager does not consider millions of dollars in the bank a substitute for movies, videos, pizza and hanging out with his friends.
A person in their 80s or 90s would never consider holding on to their wealth in place of spending it to hold on to or regain their health.
This proves that money is not the main purpose at all the stages of one's life.

Wealth and its accumulation as a purpose would be doomed to a temporary success at best and in the end it would only spell out self destruction.
So what's the REAL purpose of life? can some answer clearly?
REGARDS
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2012 5:52:02 AM
If I did find some grand purpose, more likely than not, I would just defy it in existential spite anyway.

Hail Eris.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2012 6:20:39 AM
Money CAN bring happiness and satisfaction into your life. The problem is, many people don't use it effectively. Here's an academic psychology paper explaining how to avoid the pitfalls people fall into when using their money to achieve happiness: http://www.wjh.harvard.edu...(2011).pdf

The points summarised are:

- buy experiences rather than things
- help other people with your money
- buy lots of small pleasures rather than big ones
- don't overbuy insurance (we adapt to most losses fairly quickly)
- delay consumption of good
- consider the details of purchases instead of oversimplified idealistic images
- prioritise the intrinsic qualities of goods instead of comparing them to other goods
- other people's preferences are a good guide to what will make you happy as well. Follow the herd.

So, I suppose I agree with op. The acquisition of wealth is much less important that the effective use of wealth - although, you obviously have to accumulate a reasonable amount of wealth to use it effectively, and also to avoid worrying about basic lacks - paying energy bills, nutritious food etc.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2012 6:23:50 AM
Oh, and the purpose of life? Never even understood what that means. There's no teleological purpose to life. There's a plethora of subjective purposes one could choose for oneself, some wiser than others.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2012 6:48:55 AM
Wellll, when it comes to money, people exaggerate its meaning. Money is what we use for trade. The only thing you can get with money is the product of what someone else -- or, a collection of people, really -- did. So, when one boils down money to what it really is -- an incentive to get people to produce whatever and give it to you -- it makes the money question as it pertains to life a lot clearer. You need to find happiness in yourself, through satisfaction with the way you live your life. Could money help you do this? Sure; it's literally manufactured incentive. But, if one's entire life revolves around incentivizing the actions of others, my opinion is that he or she lives a rather narrow existence.
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2012 11:03:04 AM
At 11/26/2012 5:47:16 AM, maj wrote:
"My life?"
"Your Life?

The purpose of life is to leave our mark on this world. Everyone regardless of their advantages or handicaps has a place in society.
To further society, through our deeds and through the acquisition of knowledge. The bigger our impact on society the more immortal we become.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2012 11:16:51 AM
At 11/26/2012 5:47:16 AM, maj wrote:
"My life?"
"Your Life?"

Could the acquisition of wealth guarantee happiness?
When we hear of millionaires or members of their families committing suicide, how could we consider the purpose of life would be to gain great wealth?
A child of 5 years would obviously prefer a new toy to a deposit slip for a million dollars.
A teenager does not consider millions of dollars in the bank a substitute for movies, videos, pizza and hanging out with his friends.
A person in their 80s or 90s would never consider holding on to their wealth in place of spending it to hold on to or regain their health.
This proves that money is not the main purpose at all the stages of one's life.

Wealth and its accumulation as a purpose would be doomed to a temporary success at best and in the end it would only spell out self destruction.
So what's the REAL purpose of life? can some answer clearly?
REGARDS

What does this have to do with religion?