I'd like to introduce myself...

naturebeckles
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2012 8:37:12 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Hello. I'm Naturebeckles.

I'm new to THIS forum, but have been off and on religious forums since the late 90's. In internet terms... that's a long time.

I went from recovering from an extreme conservative religious cult church, to evangelical, to eventually Deism today. Who knows where I'll end up next.

One thing I've noticed right off the bat that made me giggle is the fact that Christians on here try to make their arguments sound logically and/or scientifically sound enough to be acceptable, but then denounce logic and science like they're both foolish and equal belief systems to religion. Science isn't a belief system. Logic isn't foolish.

I might debate with some of you if I think you'll actually use logic and reason or at least be open to logic and reason to weigh educated opinions. Otherwise, if you're the type who thinks - as medic so fondly put it - Bill O'Reilly has more common sense than 10 logic professors, then I'll likely stoop to the level of smart a$$ remarks. There's no use in trying to use logic and reasoning on somebody who sees no reason to use it themselves.

My understanding on evolution is really at high school level at best. I don't know much at all about details of any of it and I'll never claim too. I do, however, understand what a scientific theory is and how science generally works in discovery, using evidence, evolving hypotheses into theories, and etc. So, if I see your "religious" argument attempt at being "scientific" by straw manning science, I'm just going to laugh in your face. Go google straw man if you must. Those of us who actually use our brains to learn instead of using our brains to gather twisted "evidence" to back up religious opinion, already know you lost before we start typing.

Oh, and medic? I typed this entire post with my middle fingers.

Have a good day, all. And I hope I can at least generate some laughs on here.

Cheers!
"Adapt what is useful, reject what is useless, and add what is specifically your own." Bruce Lee
Paradox_7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2012 8:53:11 PM
Welcome!

see "Can a Homosexual Make it to Heaven? (Part 1)", I responded to your post. =)
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
TheAntidoter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2012 8:53:20 PM
At 11/27/2012 8:37:12 PM, naturebeckles wrote:

I'm new to THIS forum, but have been off and on religious forums since the late 90's. In internet terms... that's a long time.

I went from recovering from an extreme conservative religious cult church, to evangelical, to eventually Deism today. Who knows where I'll end up next.
Probably Anarchism. The dark side beckons.

One thing I've noticed right off the bat that made me giggle
Laughing, making smart @$$ remarks, and giggling a 3 different things. I conclude that this statement was a lie.
is the fact that Christians on here try to make their arguments sound logically and/or scientifically sound enough to be acceptable
Maybe because we think they are.
, but then denounce logic and science
YAWN.
like they're both foolish and equal belief systems to religion.
MAybe because religion according to the 2012 New Oxford Dictionary is:
" a particular system of faith and worship:
So yes, it fits that description.
Science isn't a belief system. Logic isn't foolish.
If you have a contrary definition or reject my source, say it.

I might debate with some of you if I think you'll actually use logic and reason
You are assuming that we have not.
or at least be open to logic and reason to weigh educated opinions.
Educated at high school level, that is.
Otherwise, if you're the type who thinks - as medic so fondly put it - Bill O'Reilly has more common sense than 10 logic professors, then I'll likely stoop to the level of smart a$$ remarks. There's no use in trying to use logic and reasoning on somebody who sees no reason to use it themselves.
Don't worry, we can make smarter @$$ comments then you.
BTW, if you don't, we will call you out.

My understanding on evolution is really at high school level at best. I don't know much at all about details of any of it and I'll never claim too. I do, however, understand what a scientific theory is and how science generally works in discovery, using evidence, evolving hypotheses into theories, and etc. So, if I see your "religious" argument attempt at being "scientific" by straw manning science, I'm just going to laugh in your face.
No, you are going to make smart-@$$ comments. Don't change your story.
Go google straw man if you must. Those of us who actually use our brains to learn instead of using our brains to gather twisted "evidence" to back up religious opinion, already know you lost before we start typing.
Says the person who doesn't bother the material beyond the high school level.

I just heard the sound of one hand clapping.

Good luck with posting this in the religious forum: Go to the funny forum if you want laughs.

Cheers!
Affinity: Fire
Class: Human
Abilities: ????

Nac.

WOAH, COLORED FONT!
naturebeckles
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2012 9:27:31 PM
LOL

No, I like getting my laughs here.

It doesn't take faith and worship to believe in Science. I say hello and the baseless assertions don't even escape my post! HA!
"Adapt what is useful, reject what is useless, and add what is specifically your own." Bruce Lee
naturebeckles
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2012 9:29:16 PM
Oh and just because I don't know about evolution beyond high school level doesn't mean that applies to ALL my knowledge. Nice try.
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2012 9:42:12 PM
So, if I see your "religious" argument attempt at being "scientific" by straw manning science, I'm just going to laugh in your face.

Hopefully you won't do that in formal debates, though. If you want to win a formal debate, you have to do better than laughing at your opponent. You have to make arguments. You could lose conduct points if you laugh at your opponent in the middle of debate. Of course it's perfectly acceptable here on the boards, though, since there's no winning or losing.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
naturebeckles
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2012 9:53:16 PM
At 11/27/2012 9:42:12 PM, philochristos wrote:
So, if I see your "religious" argument attempt at being "scientific" by straw manning science, I'm just going to laugh in your face.

Hopefully you won't do that in formal debates, though. If you want to win a formal debate, you have to do better than laughing at your opponent. You have to make arguments. You could lose conduct points if you laugh at your opponent in the middle of debate. Of course it's perfectly acceptable here on the boards, though, since there's no winning or losing.

Not sure if I want to get into formal debates or not. But we'll see.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2012 10:08:00 PM
Try not to come off as an arrogant smart@$$, and youll probably fit in well.

Just keep in mind we have a lot of.....quite fail Christian debators here. We have a lot of really good ones aswell.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2012 10:08:07 PM
At 11/27/2012 8:53:20 PM, TheAntidoter wrote:
is the fact that Christians on here try to make their arguments sound logically and/or scientifically sound enough to be acceptable
YAWN.

You've broken up her post to make it almost meaningless. How are logic and science "a particular system of faith"?

or at least be open to logic and reason to weigh educated opinions.
Educated at high school level, that is.

Knowing evolution at the high school level =/= she only has a high school education.
yang.
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2012 10:09:53 PM
At 11/27/2012 10:08:07 PM, tulle wrote:
At 11/27/2012 8:53:20 PM, TheAntidoter wrote:
YAWN.

You've broken up her post to make it almost meaningless. How are logic and science "a particular system of faith"?

LOL I just realized it also said "and worship" but you left that out. "Faith and worship" is your own description of religion. How are logic and science, by definition "faith and worship"?
yang.
naturebeckles
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2012 10:21:05 PM
: Knowing evolution at the high school level =/= she only has a high school education.

I have higher than a high school education. But not all college programs require studying science... and I didn't. >.>
naturebeckles
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2012 10:21:31 PM
: At 11/27/2012 10:03:48 PM, tulle wrote:
Haha I like you already. Welcome to DDO.

bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2012 10:28:19 PM
At 11/27/2012 10:03:48 PM, tulle wrote:
Haha I like you already. Welcome to DDO.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2012 10:32:38 PM
At 11/27/2012 10:21:05 PM, naturebeckles wrote:
: Knowing evolution at the high school level =/= she only has a high school education.

I have higher than a high school education. But not all college programs require studying science... and I didn't. >.>

That was the "not equal" sign. I was saying to him that knowing evolution at the high school level does not mean you only have a high school education, since that was what he was implying with his comment.
yang.
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2012 10:37:16 PM
One thing I've noticed right off the bat that made me giggle is the fact that Christians on here try to make their arguments sound logically and/or scientifically sound enough to be acceptable, but then denounce logic and science like they're both foolish and equal belief systems to religion. Science isn't a belief system. Logic isn't foolish.

Yup, only Christians on here. There were no Christian philosophers or apologists before the advent of the great debate.org.
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
naturebeckles
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2012 10:38:45 PM
: At 11/27/2012 10:32:38 PM, tulle wrote:
At 11/27/2012 10:21:05 PM, naturebeckles wrote:

That was the "not equal" sign. I was saying to him that knowing evolution at the high school level does not mean you only have a high school education, since that was what he was implying with his comment.

Well yeah, but I thought I'd add the clarification anyway. I didn't know a science degree in evolutionary studies was a requirement for discussing the subject on a RELIGION forum. :D
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2012 10:39:33 PM
At 11/27/2012 10:37:16 PM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:

Yup, only Christians on here. There were no Christian philosophers or apologists before the advent of the great debate.org.

Why does everyone keep ignoring the second part of that sentence? :/ And nowhere did she say "only".
yang.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2012 10:42:24 PM
At 11/27/2012 10:39:33 PM, tulle wrote:

Why does everyone keep ignoring the second part of that sentence? :/ And nowhere did she say "only".

She implies that with the blanket statement "Christians on here". And the second part implies the same.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2012 10:42:56 PM

Because there'd be no need to "giggle" it were commonplace in theistic literature.
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2012 10:53:14 PM
At 11/27/2012 10:42:24 PM, OberHerr wrote:

She implies that with the blanket statement "Christians on here". And the second part implies the same.

"Christians on here" doesn't imply that no Christians elsewhere do it. If I said "men on debate.org are misogynist" that in no way implies "only" men on debate.org are misogynist. If anything, it implies "all men on debate.org are misogynist".

Additionally, their qualm is with the first part of the sentence but it is taken out of context if you ignore the second part. The point she is making is it's amusing to use logic and science to support your belief, while denouncing science and logic, which I think has truth value. She specifically points out someone like medic, who, ironically, claims to be a paramedic in real life and therefore uses science to operate in his real life, while simultaneously denying science (evolution). At what point is the threshold to accept something as scientifically valid? Does he set the bar as high in other aspects of his life? Probably not.

While she points out medic and makes the blanket statement of "Christians on here", I think so far the response this statement has been incorrect.

Antidoter's response takes the quote completely out of context by separating the first part from the second. Whether you think your argument is scientifically or logically sound is irrelevant. The point she is making is you can't do that while ignoring science or logic (whether you're Christian or not).
yang.
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2012 5:33:26 AM
Welcome.

I would advise that you not bold things so aggressively. Are you related to Dogknox?
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2012 5:52:06 AM
At 11/28/2012 5:33:26 AM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:
Welcome.

I would advise that you not bold things so aggressively. Are you related to Dogknox?

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2012 6:25:54 AM

Well, considering a fair percentage of the members of this forum were born in the late 1990s -yeah.

Interesting.

The belief that faith is rational is something that I have always been amused by, but even more amusing is the intersection that some perpetuate between science and religion. These are things I find entertaining, also.

I might debate with some of you if I think you'll actually use logic and reason or at least be open to logic and reason to weigh educated opinions. Otherwise, if you're the type who thinks - as medic so fondly put it - Bill O'Reilly has more common sense than 10 logic professors, then I'll likely stoop to the level of smart a$$ remarks. There's no use in trying to use logic and reasoning on somebody who sees no reason to use it themselves.

I am not worthy. I hate all things that involve rational cognitive processes. The application of logic to life is entirely too rational for me, therefore I hate it and avoid at all costs the use of it. I much prefer to bang my head against a pine tree and hope that a coconut falls.

My understanding on evolution is really at high school level at best. I don't know much at all about details of any of it and I'll never claim too. I do, however, understand what a scientific theory is and how science generally works in discovery, using evidence, evolving hypotheses into theories, and etc. So, if I see your "religious" argument attempt at being "scientific" by straw manning science, I'm just going to laugh in your face. Go google straw man if you must. Those of us who actually use our brains to learn instead of using our brains to gather twisted "evidence" to back up religious opinion, already know you lost before we start typing.

Cool.

Impressive.

Think of someone banging their head against a pine tree in the hopes that a coconut will fall. That should be sufficient to elicit at least a smile.

Cheers!

Yup.
naturebeckles
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2012 6:27:45 AM
: At 11/28/2012 5:33:26 AM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:
Welcome.

I'm sorry. I didn't know this room was full of passive mennonites...
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2012 6:28:46 AM
At 11/28/2012 6:27:45 AM, naturebeckles wrote:
Welcome.

Neither did I.
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
naturebeckles
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2012 6:29:31 AM
Well, Tulle gets it.

I guess that's more than I can say for some of you. *proceeds to giggle*
naturebeckles
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2012 6:56:04 AM
: At 11/28/2012 6:28:46 AM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:
At 11/28/2012 6:27:45 AM, naturebeckles wrote:
Welcome.

Neither did I.

Well if putting text in bold is the same as shouting, maybe I'll do a lot of it then. lol