Jump to topic:

The Jesus Myth

Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2012 9:53:52 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I find it quite interesting that it is only thanks to a quirk of history that we are not here today arguing for or against Mithraism instead of Christianity. If the Roman Empire held on to any one of several of its official non-Christian religions, the religious landscape today would be far different. The speaker in this video is not a dogmatic type, but more of an objective analyst of history, specifically the religious aspects of ancient culture. Agree or disagree with his claims, he is very convincing, well-read, and informative.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2012 10:13:08 PM
Lol. I hope you realize that Jesus mythicism (in particular Freke's position) is about as credible as young earth creationism.

In any case Bart Ehrman destroys Freke.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
naturebeckles
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2012 10:17:10 PM
At 11/27/2012 9:53:52 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

: I find it quite interesting that it is only thanks to a quirk of history that we are not here today arguing for or against Mithraism instead of Christianity. If the Roman Empire held on to any one of several of its official non-Christian religions, the religious landscape today would be far different. The speaker in this video is not a dogmatic type, but more of an objective analyst of history, specifically the religious aspects of ancient culture. Agree or disagree with his claims, he is very convincing, well-read, and informative.

I'm in a place where I still think Jesus existed, but not as the man/god that he's been exalted to. See, I don't think the Gnostics, Arianists, and other Christianity forms existed for no reason. I don't think they all, along with the Roman Empire created Catholicism came from purely myth. From some sound websites I've read recently, a school of thought is, there was Jesus & the 12 "apostles" as it were, and then when they died, all these people sort of went their own way with their own ideas of what Christianity should be. Then the Catholics were like MY WAY OR ITS DEATH!

Bruce Lee's following was very much the same way. Even the two people he personally allowed to teach Jeet Kune Do have two different philosophies on how to teach Jeet Kune Do and what it means. Basically, they added their own interpretation to his material.

So, it's quite possible that Jesus really did exist, that his followers added their own meaning/interpretations to the message he tried to convey, and then one branch getting foothold into the government of the day and started the obsessive control power hungry behavior that threw us into the Dark Ages. They took a harmless edifying philosophy and turned into the first seriously dangerous religion the world has come to know. I have a hard time believing all that was born out of a simple myth.
"Adapt what is useful, reject what is useless, and add what is specifically your own." Bruce Lee
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2012 10:22:19 PM
At 11/27/2012 10:13:08 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
Lol. I hope you realize that Jesus mythicism (in particular Freke's position) is about as credible as young earth creationism.

In any case Bart Ehrman destroys Freke.

Maybe you could post some of your rebuttals to the video here so that debate and dialectics occurs.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.