Jump to topic:

A question for Catholics

Nidhogg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2012 2:30:44 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
What differs Catholicism from other branches of Christianity? And why is the Pope so central to the Catholic community?

I'm just asking because it seems that Catholicism is very different from Methodist Christianity, and I want to know why that is. (Plus we need a lot more neutral forum posts in the Religion Forum)

Oh, and no pedophile jokes please.
Ridiculously Photogenic Debater

DDO's most mediocre member since at least a year ago
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2012 2:36:13 PM
This is probably going to spark the Great War.

At 11/28/2012 2:30:44 PM, Nidhogg wrote:
What differs Catholicism from other branches of Christianity? And why is the Pope so central to the Catholic community?

Catholicism has been around forever, and that's why it's awesome. We accept the authority of the Holy Church, and of the Bishops in communion with Rome. We believe in the infallibility of the Church.

We accept the sacred tradition handed on by the Apostles outside of the Bible, which makes us pretty much unique with the exception of the Orthodox Catholics.

The Pope is special because he's the successor of St. Peter.

I'm just asking because it seems that Catholicism is very different from Methodist Christianity, and I want to know why that is. (Plus we need a lot more neutral forum posts in the Religion Forum)

Catholicism is unique. The only ones who can even approach us are the Orthodox, but in a sense they're Catholic as well.
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2012 2:39:20 PM
At 11/28/2012 2:38:06 PM, drafterman wrote:
Funny hats.

http://www.novinite.com...
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
Nidhogg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2012 2:41:51 PM
At 11/28/2012 2:36:13 PM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:

Catholicism has been around forever, and that's why it's awesome. We accept the authority of the Holy Church, and of the Bishops in communion with Rome. We believe in the infallibility of the Church.

We accept the sacred tradition handed on by the Apostles outside of the Bible, which makes us pretty much unique with the exception of the Orthodox Catholics.

Catholicism is unique. The only ones who can even approach us are the Orthodox, but in a sense they're Catholic as well.

I see...
But doesn't this mean that Catholicism is to other Christianity in the same way as Christianity is to Judaism?

AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2012 2:43:46 PM
At 11/28/2012 2:41:51 PM, Nidhogg wrote:

I see...
But doesn't this mean that Catholicism is to other Christianity in the same way as Christianity is to Judaism?

I think a better analogy would be other Christianity is to Catholicism the way Christianity is to Judaism.

People tend to forget that there are more Catholics than every other denomination of Christianity combined, plus the Orthodox Catholics, who make up roughly a third of the non-Catholic Christians, have very very similar beliefs.
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2012 2:48:23 PM
At 11/28/2012 2:43:46 PM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:

I see...

I think a better analogy would be other Christianity is to Catholicism the way Christianity is to Judaism.

People tend to forget that there are more Catholics than every other denomination of Christianity combined, plus the Orthodox Catholics, who make up roughly a third of the non-Catholic Christians, have very very similar beliefs.

Also, we predate everyone except the Orthodox, and we kind of predate them too, although that's open for debate.
Nidhogg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2012 2:48:53 PM

I see...

My Grandfather was a priest, and I live next to a Catholic school and church. I'll research this more and see if I should switch churches.

One more thing, according to Catholic beliefs, can non-Catholics be just as close to God as a Catholic?

AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2012 2:50:22 PM
At 11/28/2012 2:48:53 PM, Nidhogg wrote:

I see...

My Grandfather was a priest, and I live next to a Catholic school and church. I'll research this more and see if I should switch churches.

One more thing, according to Catholic beliefs, can non-Catholics be just as close to God as a Catholic?

Probably. Inclusivism and all that jazz.

Plus, there are some pretty horrid Catholics these days.
Paradox_7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2012 2:50:35 PM

So, in other words, you worship your church. In your description, you mention the Chruch, it's history, its infallibility, and its authority; but not Christ.. interesting.

A revealing answer for the person proposing the question.
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2012 2:54:35 PM
At 11/28/2012 2:50:35 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:

So, in other words, you worship your church. In your description, you mention the Chruch, it's history, its infallibility, and its authority; but not Christ.. interesting.

The question was 'What differs Catholicism from other branches of Christianity?'

Christ is common to all branches of Christianity.
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2012 3:16:31 PM

Oh, and no pedophile jokes please.

I'm sure AMTY gave a better response than me... but, the Pope is central to Catholicism because a core Catholic belief is Magisterium, the ability/authority of the Church to interpret Scripture and teach it to Catholics. Thus, in order to assure the "universality" of interpretation (Catholic = "Universal") there has to be a "chain of command," which at the top is the Pope... the successor of St. Peter.

Passages like Ephesians 5:23-24 (Jesus is "married" to the Church) and 1 Timothy 3:15 (the Church is the "pillar and foundation of truth") support the authority of the Church in matters of Christian doctrine.
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
Paradox_7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2012 4:16:30 PM
At 11/28/2012 2:54:35 PM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:

The question was 'What differs Catholicism from other branches of Christianity?'

No, Christ should be common to all branches, but as you've just displayed, clearly is not; this is the glaring difference between my 'branch' and yours.

While I'm not very familiar with methodist theology, I'm sure they differ from you in the same way as I do in regards to your consideration for the church; it's seems to be at the center of your entire belief system.
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2012 4:23:23 PM
Funny hats.

I'm a protestant, and I wear a funny hat, too.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2012 4:28:10 PM
At 11/28/2012 4:16:30 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:

No, Christ should be common to all branches, but as you've just displayed, clearly is not; this is the glaring difference between my 'branch' and yours.

While I'm not very familiar with methodist theology, I'm sure they differ from you in the same way as I do in regards to your consideration for the church; it's seems to be at the center of your entire belief system.

Actually, no. Christ is at the center of the Catholic Church.

The Church is an integral part of our belief system in that we hold to Magisterium and the Sacred Tradition in complement to Scripture, but that's not to say we have any less respect for Scripture than Protestantism.

We have just as much respect for Jesus and his teachings as any other Protestant Church.
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
Paradox_7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2012 4:43:45 PM
At 11/28/2012 4:28:10 PM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:

How is Christ at the center of a belief that advocates synergism? This requires that God and Man are given equal shares of significance. "God show's you the door, but you have to open it", right?

The Church is an integral part of our belief system in that we hold to Magisterium and the Sacred Tradition in complement to Scripture, but that's not to say we have any less respect for Scripture than Protestantism.

The Chruch is integral in all denominations, this is the place where believers congregate. This isn't the 'church centered' doctrine I'm referring to though.

Maybe you will be the firs R.Catholic to clarify your position with scripture, but the very suggestion that a sinful man, is even remotely Christ like, let a lone the vicar of him, is irreconcilable with the word of God from what I know.

The are many doctrine that the R.Catholic chruch hold to, and maybe a handful have scriptural or significant purpose.

We have just as much respect for Jesus and his teachings as any other Protestant Church.

Respect for Jesus? I don't simply respect Christ, my friend, I am his slave.. I belong to him. I need him more then anything in this life, or the next. He is the word of God.

The bible, is HIS story.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2012 4:49:01 PM
Can't we all just agreed we're all Christians, and leave it at that?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2012 4:55:03 PM
At 11/28/2012 4:49:01 PM, OberHerr wrote:

Christianity is a lot like Marxism in this regard.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2012 4:56:48 PM
At 11/28/2012 4:55:03 PM, socialpinko wrote:

Christianity is a lot like Marxism in this regard.

Cause, I totally know what that means.....
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Paradox_7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2012 4:56:57 PM

Unforunately not, but i do wish it was that way..

If you hear a person teaching another person false information, and you know the truth, you're obligated to make sure it's set straight; especially in a social environment like DDO.

So you try to tackle the big issues head on, and see whos interpretation makes the most sense; whether its appealing or not. It's usually easier to discuss religion with religious people, even if you disagree.
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2012 5:13:07 PM
I agree with Paradox. Theology matters because it affects how you worship. Whether you're a synergist or a monergist is going to affect the glory you attribute to God in worship. Whether you subscribe to transubstantiation or the mass will also affect how you worship. These are not unimportant topics.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2012 5:21:31 PM
At 11/28/2012 4:43:45 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:
At 11/28/2012 4:28:10 PM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:

How is Christ at the center of a belief that advocates synergism? This requires that God and Man are given equal shares of significance. "God show's you the door, but you have to open it", right?

I can't just make you believe that Catholics worship Jesus to the same or greater magnitude than Protestants, so I'll leave it at that.

The Chruch is integral in all denominations, this is the place where believers congregate. This isn't the 'church centered' doctrine I'm referring to though.

Then you missed what I meant when I said "the Church." I'm referring to the Church as more than a simple congregation of believers. I'm referring to the Church as how it's described in the Bible -- the "pillar and foundation of truth," etc. Clearly, without commitment to the Church's authority, Christianity is split into thousands of denominations, each claiming to have the one truth based on their own interpretation.

Maybe you will be the firs R.Catholic to clarify your position with scripture, but the very suggestion that a sinful man, is even remotely Christ like, let a lone the vicar of him, is irreconcilable with the word of God from what I know.

The are many doctrine that the R.Catholic chruch hold to, and maybe a handful have scriptural or significant purpose.

You're presupposing Sola Scriptura without justifying it.

Moreover, if I could show that through the Scripture, the Church is more than simply a congregation of followers, and was given authority by Christ, then there'd be no need to justify every bit of the Sacred Tradition on Scripture, because the Sacred Tradition is an extension of the Church's authority, which is found in Scripture.

That's not to say the Sacred Tradition has no correlation with Scripture whatsoever.

Respect for Jesus? I don't simply respect Christ, my friend, I am his slave.. I belong to him. I need him more then anything in this life, or the next. He is the word of God.

The bible, is HIS story.

Alright, cool. Not sure how this rebuts my point about Catholic's worship of Jesus to the same magnitude as Protestantism.
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2012 5:25:35 PM
I haven't seen any Catholic vs. Protestant debates in a while. Maybe one of you should initiate one. I have thought about initiating a debate on transubstantiation.

Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2012 5:33:11 PM
At 11/28/2012 5:25:35 PM, philochristos wrote:
I haven't seen any Catholic vs. Protestant debates in a while. Maybe one of you should initiate one. I have thought about initiating a debate on transubstantiation.

I'm really not familiar enough with Catholic apologetics to defend Catholicism... but I have a few books that I'm going to read.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2012 5:41:39 PM
At 11/28/2012 4:23:23 PM, philochristos wrote:
Funny hats.

No you don't.
Paradox_7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2012 5:53:01 PM
At 11/28/2012 5:21:31 PM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:

I can't just make you believe that Catholics worship Jesus to the same or greater magnitude than Protestants, so I'll leave it at that.

This isn't a competition, I'm not trying to say the Protestants are more Christian than you; this couldn't be further from the truth. As a mongerist, even among protestant circles, I'm usually the black sheep..

If you are familiar with the synergist v. monergist debate, you'd know that synergism promotes a form of self-reliance. This is not placing Christ at the center.

Then you missed what I meant when I said "the Church." I'm referring to the Church as more than a simple congregation of believers. I'm referring to the Church as how it's described in the Bible -- the "pillar and foundation of truth," etc. Clearly, without commitment to the Church's authority, Christianity is split into thousands of denominations, each claiming to have the one truth based on their own interpretation.

There is nothing simlpe about the congregation of believers. What you misunderstand in regards to these passages, is that it's not referring to a elect group of privilaged Christians who instruct the rest. The 'pillar and foundation of truth' is Christ. The church is a congregation of those who share in Christs righteousness, and worship him with the faith God distributed to them all.

Each chruch has authority over it members. The R. Catholic church is just another denomination in the thousands. The way the R.Catholics kept people from spliting into thousands of denominations was primarily by killing them.

What needs to be justified about sola scriptura? If you do not hold to this, then where does your churches self-proclaimed 'authority' come from?

Moreover, if I could show that through the Scripture, the Church is more than simply a congregation of followers, and was given authority by Christ, then there'd be no need to justify every bit of the Sacred Tradition on Scripture, because the Sacred Tradition is an extension of the Church's authority, which is found in Scripture.

That's not to say the Sacred Tradition has no correlation with Scripture whatsoever.

This is where we will start then.

Why do you confess your sins to a priest?
Why do you have 'God' parents?
Why do you have idols of the apolstles, angels, mary, and jesus in your churches?
Why don't you believe that Christs sacrifice is enough to save sinners a lone?
And, why don't you believe that God brings his children to him, without a choice of their own?

Scriptures, please.

The bible, is HIS story.

Alright, cool. Not sure how this rebuts my point about Catholic's worship of Jesus to the same magnitude as Protestantism.

It was just a rant.. lol
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2012 6:06:48 PM
At 11/28/2012 5:53:01 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:
At 11/28/2012 5:21:31 PM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:

This isn't a competition, I'm not trying to say the Protestants are more Christian than you; this couldn't be further from the truth. As a mongerist, even among protestant circles, I'm usually the black sheep..

If you are familiar with the synergist v. monergist debate, you'd know that synergism promotes a form of self-reliance. This is not placing Christ at the center.

K.

There is nothing simlpe about the congregation of believers. What you misunderstand in regards to these passages, is that it's not referring to a elect group of privilaged Christians who instruct the rest. The 'pillar and foundation of truth' is Christ. The church is a congregation of those who share in Christs righteousness, and worship him with the faith God distributed to them all.

Each chruch has authority over it members. The R. Catholic church is just another denomination in the thousands. The way the R.Catholics kept people from spliting into thousands of denominations was primarily by killing them.

1 Timothy 3:15 clearly states that the Church is the pillar and foundation of truth. That's not to say Christ isn't the Truth, either, or whatever happy phrase you want to attach to him. It's a passage that clearly puts more value onto the Church's teaching than individual interpretation. As one can see, individual interpretation leads to, basically, scriptural anarchy where everyone finds something different from the Bible.

The Catholic Church is not just any other denomination. First of all, it's been around the longest, and was present before the Reformation. As AMTY has said before, the Orthodox Church is the only competitor here. Catholics are still a far greater majority than any other denomination. Remember, Catholics are not Protestants... they split from the already-present Church. We hold to far more beliefs, such as Magisterium and Sacred Tradition, than do Protestants. Making the Catholic Church out to be on the same level as North Anchorage Truth & Light Ministries is simply dishonest.

What needs to be justified about sola scriptura? If you do not hold to this, then where does your churches self-proclaimed 'authority' come from?

This is where we will start then.

Why do you confess your sins to a priest?
Why do you have 'God' parents?
Why do you have idols of the apolstles, angels, mary, and jesus in your churches?
Why don't you believe that Christs sacrifice is enough to save sinners a lone?
And, why don't you believe that God brings his children to him, without a choice of their own?

Scriptures, please.

You pretty much just ignored what I said about the Sacred Tradition as an extension of the Church's authority, which is found in Scripture.

The bible, is HIS story.

It was just a rant.. lol
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2012 6:09:12 PM
At 11/28/2012 5:33:11 PM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:

I'm really not familiar enough with Catholic apologetics to defend Catholicism... but I have a few books that I'm going to read.

You should read a good book on how protestants respond to Catholic apologetics, too, so you'll be prepared. I haven't read that many, but one of the better ones in my opinion is Evangelical Answers by Eric Svendsen. You can get a used copy on Amazon for $2.32.

http://www.amazon.com...

Another one I suspect is good, though I haven't read it, is The Roman Catholic Controversy by James White. You can get a used copy on Amazon for 66 cents.

Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2012 6:11:34 PM
At 11/28/2012 6:09:12 PM, philochristos wrote:
At 11/28/2012 5:33:11 PM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:

You should read a good book on how protestants respond to Catholic apologetics, too, so you'll be prepared. I haven't read that many, but one of the better ones in my opinion is Evangelical Answers by Eric Svendsen. You can get a used copy on Amazon for $2.32.

Another one I suspect is good, though I haven't read it, is The Roman Catholic Controversy by James White. You can get a used copy on Amazon for 66 cents.

I've bookmarked both. So far, Not By Scripture Alone, the book I'm reading currently, is fantastic. Not finished with it yet, though.
Nidhogg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2012 6:20:54 PM
At 11/28/2012 5:41:39 PM, drafterman wrote:
At 11/28/2012 4:23:23 PM, philochristos wrote:
Funny hats.

No you don't.

Have you seen his profile pic?