Christianity is not a Religion.

Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2012 10:09:55 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
"Christianity is not a religion. It is a philosophy." -Bill O'Reilly

Just when you think popular conceptions of Christianity could not become any more diluted, O'Reilly gives it a right cross. lol, I wonder if when he was devising this horribly unclever sophists trick, he was thinking to himself, "YEAH! I know exactly what will stop that atheist scum right in his tracks! That way the government could prefer Christmas without preferring a religion, because Christianity isn't a religion, it's just a philosophy! I am brilliant!" I'd like to picture it that way :)

The religion section of The Encyclopedia of Philosophy mentions nine qualifications for religions. The more qualifications out of the nine, the more "religious-like" the belief system is.

1. Belief in supernatural beings (gods).
2. A distinction between sacred and profane objects.
3. Ritual acts focused on sacred objects.
4. A moral code believed to be sanctioned by the gods.
5. Characteristically religious feelings (awe, sense of mystery, sense of guilt, adoration).
6. Prayer and other forms of communication with gods.
7. A world view, or a general picture of the world as a whole and the place of the individual therein. Contains meaning and purpose.
8. A more or less total organization of one's life based on the world view.
9. A social group bound together by the above.

Do you think Christianity fits the definition of religion? Why or why not?
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2012 10:13:39 PM
He's right in the sense that religion contains philosophy, but it is not only philosophy. In the same way that a pizza isn't classified as being "cheese," (as in the only characteristic of the pizza) a religion isn't classified as being only a "philosophy."
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2012 10:15:07 PM
At 11/28/2012 10:09:55 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

"Christianity is not a religion. It is a philosophy." -Bill O'Reilly

Just when you think popular conceptions of Christianity could not become any more diluted, O'Reilly gives it a right cross. lol, I wonder if when he was devising this horribly unclever sophists trick, he was thinking to himself, "YEAH! I know exactly what will stop that atheist scum right in his tracks! That way the government could prefer Christmas without preferring a religion, because Christianity isn't a religion, it's just a philosophy! I am brilliant!" I'd like to picture it that way :)

The religion section of The Encyclopedia of Philosophy mentions nine qualifications for religions. The more qualifications out of the nine, the more "religious-like" the belief system is.

1. Belief in supernatural beings (gods).

Yes. Obvious reason.

2. A distinction between sacred and profane objects.

Yes. The sacred objects depend on the sect, but all hold the bible to be divinely inspired.

3. Ritual acts focused on sacred objects.

Yes. Religious services are part of almost every sect of christianity.

4. A moral code believed to be sanctioned by the gods.

Yes. Do I really have to explain this?

5. Characteristically religious feelings (awe, sense of mystery, sense of guilt, adoration).

This is subjective. What one feels, another may not.

6. Prayer and other forms of communication with gods.

Yes. Once again, do I have to explain?

7. A world view, or a general picture of the world as a whole and the place of the individual therein. Contains meaning and purpose.

Yes. Christianity has a worldview.

8. A more or less total organization of one's life based on the world view.

Yes. But, depends on the person.

9. A social group bound together by the above.

and yes...do I have to explain this? It seems fairly obvious what that social group would be.

Do you think Christianity fits the definition of religion? Why or why not?

It does.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2012 10:18:16 PM
At 11/28/2012 10:13:39 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
He's right in the sense that religion contains philosophy, but it is not only philosophy. In the same way that a pizza isn't classified as being "cheese," (as in the only characteristic of the pizza) a religion isn't classified as being only a "philosophy."

Indeed.
Tsar of DDO
Dogknox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2012 10:18:32 PM
Christianity is a Belief.

The Catholic Church is a Religion! Catholic' have a set of beliefs! We have a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons!

Hindu Religion!
Protestant Religion!
Muslim Religion!
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2012 10:24:26 PM
At 11/28/2012 10:18:32 PM, Dogknox wrote:

Why don't you go ahead and read that first sentence for me: http://en.wikipedia.org...
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2012 10:27:01 PM
At 11/28/2012 10:24:26 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

Why don't you go ahead and read that first sentence for me: http://en.wikipedia.org...

Well to be fair, religions are systems of beliefs also. Among some other things of course.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2012 10:28:27 PM

Pretty much that.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2012 10:29:47 PM
This doesn't happen often but I gotta say I disagree with O'Reilly here. Christianity is a belief system that by all definitions would qualify as a religion. I'd be interested to hear from him about the reasoning for his argument.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2012 10:35:42 PM
At 11/28/2012 10:27:01 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
At 11/28/2012 10:24:26 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

Well to be fair, religions are systems of beliefs also. Among some other things of course.

Dogknox was trying to contort language in the same way that O'Reilly did by calling Christianity a "Belief" but calling the branches of Christianity "Religions." In reality, Christianity is a religion and Catholic, Orthodox, and Protestant are the three branches of that religion.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2012 10:41:33 PM
Christianity can be applied as a non-religious philosophy but it's stupid to say it is itself a philosophy.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Dogknox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2012 10:47:52 PM
Belief is not proven!
Philosophy is an analysis of fundamental assumptions or beliefs.
Christians are Christians because they follow Jesus, in BELIEF!!
Christianity is a, Belief in Christ!

The Religion of the Catholic Church.. Is a set of BELIEFS and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons!
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2012 12:37:13 AM
At 11/28/2012 10:47:52 PM, Dogknox wrote:
Belief is not proven!

The Religion of the Catholic Church.. Is a set of BELIEFS

As you said yourself - " Belief is not proven! ".

Hence your catholic Cult is by your own admission also, an Unproven institution founded upon nothing more than the concept of a few humans!

and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons!

The catholic Cult contains the paedophile practices of some of their priests, whilst also containing the Nun Raping practices of other catholic Priests and finally ALL catholics are self confessed practicers of Sin from the popey to the rank & file that require constant and repeated ' confession ' for their ungodly practices, proving they are in fact Story book jebus' rejects & agents of their devil! -

No one who abides in him sins; * no one who sins has either seen him or known him. . . . . He who commits sin is of the devil; for the devil has sinned from the beginning. (1 John 3:6, 8) RSV catholic Story book 1966 edition

ANY genuine Story book jebus believer, DOES NO SIN!

You SINFUL Mary WORSHIPPER YOU!

Your mentor & literal Saviour moi!

Me Composer the ongoing successful Cult buster!
SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2012 9:01:41 AM

The Catholic Church is a Religion! Catholic' have a set of beliefs! We have a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons!

Hindu Religion!
Protestant Religion!
Muslim Religion!

Have I gone crazy or did Dogknox write a post that isn't bolded?
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
Dogknox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2012 2:09:25 PM
At 11/29/2012 9:01:41 AM, SarcasticIndeed wrote:

Hindu Religion!
Protestant Religion!
Muslim Religion!

SarcasticIndeed You trying to be "Sarcastic?"

Christians believe the scriptures!
Christians believe; The scriptures are God' words!
Christians believe; God cannot lie!
Christians are Christians because they follow the teaching of "Christ!"

SarcasticIndeed I am Christian!

Christ said.. "Make DISCIPLES of all nations; Baptizing"!
The Holy Catholic Church has been Baptizing all nations for the past Two Thousand years! She has been Making DISCIPLES by BAPTIZING people, for two thousand years!

SarcasticIndeed She ADDED 3000 people to Jesus' holy Catholic Body the first day of Pentecost, by BAPTIZING!
Acts 2:40
With many other words he warned them; and he pleaded with them, "Save yourselves from this corrupt generation."
41 Those who accepted his message were baptized, and about three thousand were added to their number that day.

Catholic's believe the scriptures, we do NOT reject the words of Jesus!
Jesus said..
Matthew 28:20
Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world.

SarcasticIndeed Jesus is ALWAYS WITH his holy Catholic Church.. So he is NOT with your church! You PROTEST against Jesus and his holy bride!

I am NOT sarcastic.. I tell it like it is.. I point you to the truth! You are forced to reject the truth to remain OUTSIDE of Jesus' Holy Catholic Body!

God bless...
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2012 3:11:36 PM

Hindu Religion!
Protestant Religion!
Muslim Religion!

It is a miracle! Let us rejoice and be glad!
SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2012 3:11:47 PM
At 11/29/2012 2:09:25 PM, Dogknox wrote:

Hindu Religion!
Protestant Religion!
Muslim Religion!

SarcasticIndeed You trying to be "Sarcastic?"

Christians believe the scriptures!
Christians believe; The scriptures are God' words!
Christians believe; God cannot lie!
Christians are Christians because they follow the teaching of "Christ!"

SarcasticIndeed I am Christian!

Christ said.. "Make DISCIPLES of all nations; Baptizing"!
The Holy Catholic Church has been Baptizing all nations for the past Two Thousand years! She has been Making DISCIPLES by BAPTIZING people, for two thousand years!

SarcasticIndeed She ADDED 3000 people to Jesus' holy Catholic Body the first day of Pentecost, by BAPTIZING!
Acts 2:40
With many other words he warned them; and he pleaded with them, "Save yourselves from this corrupt generation."
41 Those who accepted his message were baptized, and about three thousand were added to their number that day.

Catholic's believe the scriptures, we do NOT reject the words of Jesus!
Jesus said..
Matthew 28:20
Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world.

SarcasticIndeed Jesus is ALWAYS WITH his holy Catholic Church.. So he is NOT with your church! You PROTEST against Jesus and his holy bride!

I am NOT sarcastic.. I tell it like it is.. I point you to the truth! You are forced to reject the truth to remain OUTSIDE of Jesus' Holy Catholic Body!

God bless...

Yeah, I thought it was too early to start celebrating.
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2012 8:51:59 PM
At 11/29/2012 7:42:54 AM, drafterman wrote:
The most appropriate response to the claim that Christianity is not a religion is my avatar.

I'd say it's even more apropos than http://tinyurl.com...
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2012 2:15:55 AM
Bill O'Reilly is an idiot sometimes. But I still like him.
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2012 3:24:14 AM
If he would have said "MY VERSION of Christianity is a philosophy," that'd be ok.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2012 3:53:18 AM
Why are we hung up on him saying Christianity is a philosophy? Yes, that's right. The main part is him saying Christianity is not a religion. If I said "Steve Jobs made the mac popular, because he's a reptile from the Jenga dimension" on a national TV show, we wouldn't say it's OK because I got the first part right. What O'Reilly said was something categorically stupid, and moving it to the fact that he said Christianity is a philosophy is a red herring with the aim to bail out this idiot again. He's a too big republican to be accepted to fail so effectively, but why? Because we're idiotically propping up stupidity. (Rant over. O'Reilly is a nutcase).
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2012 8:18:08 AM

100% correct
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2012 8:21:47 AM
It is a "belief" that a secular govt is a better way to govern, but I see no "proof" that it is.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2012 8:29:57 AM
At 12/2/2012 2:15:55 AM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:

So when you say this, are you asserting you are not and have never been and don't do or say idiotic things? All that you say are just merely differences of opinion and not idiotic? While at the same time what other people say that you would disagree with, with regard to political and social issues, would be considered idiotic?

Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2012 11:42:41 AM
At 12/2/2012 8:29:57 AM, sadolite wrote:
At 12/2/2012 2:15:55 AM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:

So when you say this, are you asserting you are not and have never been and don't do or say idiotic things? All that you say are just merely differences of opinion and not idiotic? While at the same time what other people say that you would disagree with, with regard to political and social issues, would be considered idiotic?

LOL. I never asserted or implied anything about myself.
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2012 1:01:21 PM
At 12/2/2012 3:24:14 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
If he would have said "MY VERSION of Christianity is a philosophy," that'd be ok.

Yeah, this. I heard Josh McDowell speak once. That's basically what he said.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2012 1:13:39 PM

+10,000 points to you
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
TheAntidoter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2012 4:55:56 PM
At 11/29/2012 12:37:13 AM, Composer wrote:
Belief is not proven!

The Religion of the Catholic Church.. Is a set of BELIEFS

As you said yourself - " Belief is not proven! ".
Belief is not proven, because it does not need to be.
You don't need to prove I believe that balloons exist if they exist.

Hence your catholic Cult is by your own admission also,
And you take it out of context to try and make a point.
an Unproven institution founded upon nothing more than the concept of a few humans!

and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons!

Before this begins, I am going to count the number of erogatory terms in the following paragraph.
The catholic
Cult
contains the paedophile
2 so far.
practices of some of their priests, whilst also containing the Nun
Raping
practices of other catholic Priests and finally ALL catholics are self confessed
Notice, you sin too. Everyone has sinned except Jesus.
practicers of Sin
from the popey
It's Popey. At least act like it is a proper noun.
to the rank & file that require constant and repeated ' confession '
Why the quote marks?
for their ungodly practices
That everyone, including me and you take part in.
, proving they are in fact Story book jebus' rejects & agents of their devil! -
So if you say the devil exists, then god and Jesus exist.
Or does he not exist?

No one who abides in him sins; * no one who sins has either seen him or known him. . . . . He who commits sin is of the devil; for the devil has sinned from the beginning. (1 John 3:6, 8) RSV catholic Story book 1966 edition
To quote from the same area of the Bible.

"6 We are from God, and whoever knows God listens to us; but whoever is not from God does not listen to us. This is how we recognize the Spirit[a] of truth and the spirit of falsehood."
You are what we would call "A spirit of falsehood."

ANY genuine Story book jebus believer, DOES NO SIN!
And once again, you failed.

You SINFUL Mary WORSHIPPER YOU!

Your mentor & literal Saviour moi!

Me Composer the ongoing successful Cult buster!

Congratulations: You were in the double digits in derogatory terms. Try again.
Affinity: Fire
Class: Human
Abilities: ????

Nac.

WOAH, COLORED FONT!