Jump to topic:

Am I taking Song Lyrics Too Seriously?

TheAntidoter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2012 9:44:59 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Ok, so at church tonight, we were singing a song by Chris Tomlin.

I forgot the name of the song.

Anyway, we got to this one part that said something like

"If this life I lose"

And everybody else kept singing, but I stopped.

Am I taking it too seriously, or am I right because I do not believe I am at the level where I would be killed for my religion?
Affinity: Fire
Class: Human
Abilities: ????

Nac.

WOAH, COLORED FONT!
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2012 9:53:30 AM
At 11/29/2012 9:44:59 AM, TheAntidoter wrote:
Ok, so at church tonight, we were singing a song by Chris Tomlin.

I forgot the name of the song.

Anyway, we got to this one part that said something like

"If this life I lose"

And everybody else kept singing, but I stopped.

Am I taking it too seriously, or am I right because I do not believe I am at the level where I would be killed for my religion?

Depends on the context. Everyone dies.
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
stubs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2012 10:17:41 AM
The song is called I Will Follow.

In the context of the song it seems to me that it is most likely referring to Matthew 10:39 which says, "Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it."

However, I am not Chris Tomlin so I am not sure about his intentions behind the song. I'm not saying I know that in a life or death situation I would or would not do a certain thing. I certainly hope I would be willing to lay down my life for Christ. If I would not, I think a lot of the early Christians would question whether I really am a follower of Christ or not.
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2012 11:43:25 AM
A true Christian puts their faith above their life, because its the afterlife that counts. If you damn your soul to save your life you are not a true Christian.
In fact, the reason the church deemed suicide as a form of murder, is because early Christians would try to provoke others to kill them, and if they didn't they would throw themselves off a cliff.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
wiploc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2012 11:51:16 AM
"If this life I lose"
Am I taking it too seriously,

"If this life I lose, I will follow you"? That means that when you die, then you will go to Heaven. That's all it's saying.

If it was asking you to die for your religion, then it would be more like, "If I follow you, then this life I'll lose." You see the difference?

As it is, according to the sond, you're following him anyway, and you'll continue to do so after you die. It's about happy endings, not about sacrifice.

So, no, rather than taking it too seriously, you were actually not paying attention.
TheAntidoter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2012 12:31:26 PM
At 11/29/2012 11:51:16 AM, wiploc wrote:
"If this life I lose"
Am I taking it too seriously,

"If this life I lose, I will follow you"? That means that when you die, then you will go to Heaven. That's all it's saying.

If it was asking you to die for your religion, then it would be more like, "If I follow you, then this life I'll lose." You see the difference?

As it is, according to the sond, you're following him anyway, and you'll continue to do so after you die. It's about happy endings, not about sacrifice.

So, no, rather than taking it too seriously, you were actually not paying attention.

Well, that makes a whole lot more sense.
Affinity: Fire
Class: Human
Abilities: ????

Nac.

WOAH, COLORED FONT!
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2012 6:59:29 PM
No not really in the song American Pie- Don McLean I had to pause when, "Singin' this 'll be the day that I die."
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~