Jump to topic:

My state gets famous

darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2012 7:39:51 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
So, I normally don't go in the religion section, but its that time of the year that my state (RI) gets famous because the governor Chafee (R) calls the tree a "holiday tree" rather then a "christmas" tree. So I don't really see what the big deal is that it has to make national news. Who cares?

And also, I get an amazing post on my facebook that almost seems like its a troll:

So Gov. Chaffee is not only the sole grinch who insists on calling the State House christmas tree a "Holiday Tree", but he calls for a 30 minute "drive-by" tree lighting ceremony, and then pouts like a little bitch on The O'Reilly Factor making me (for once) side with Bill O'Reilly- Gov. Chaffee, if you were smart, you'd realize that not every religion celebrates their winter holiday with a tree, the christmas tree should be for Christians, a menorah should be in place for people of Jewish faith, and an aluminum pole for those who celebrate Festivus, etc. Gov. Chaffee, this is yet another example of why you are a disgrace to this state, and as a human being in general, you make me physically sick to my stomach and I am ashamed to call you my Governor..

Like wtf???
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2012 7:45:23 PM
So what does he call Christmas?
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2012 9:00:47 PM
The menorah is not a tree. The Christmas tree is a modern custom, derived from prechristian customs. By the 18th century Christmas trees started to become popular. By the 19th century it began to gain popularity worldwide, while being viewed as a "German custom".
By the 20th century it had become accepted as a "Christmas costom".

The Christmas tree is not a "holiday tree", but its also not of Christian origin.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
naturebeckles
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2012 9:37:13 PM
At 11/29/2012 7:39:51 PM, darkkermit wrote:
So, I normally don't go in the religion section, but its that time of the year that my state (RI) gets famous because the governor Chafee (R) calls the tree a "holiday tree" rather then a "christmas" tree. So I don't really see what the big deal is that it has to make national news. Who cares?

And also, I get an amazing post on my facebook that almost seems like its a troll:

So Gov. Chaffee is not only the sole grinch who insists on calling the State House christmas tree a "Holiday Tree", but he calls for a 30 minute "drive-by" tree lighting ceremony, and then pouts like a little bitch on The O'Reilly Factor making me (for once) side with Bill O'Reilly- Gov. Chaffee, if you were smart, you'd realize that not every religion celebrates their winter holiday with a tree, the christmas tree should be for Christians, a menorah should be in place for people of Jewish faith, and an aluminum pole for those who celebrate Festivus, etc. Gov. Chaffee, this is yet another example of why you are a disgrace to this state, and as a human being in general, you make me physically sick to my stomach and I am ashamed to call you my Governor..

Like wtf???

Yeah! WTF!? Anyway, I love your name and the profile pic that goes with it. Rock on, dude. Rock. On.
"Adapt what is useful, reject what is useless, and add what is specifically your own." Bruce Lee
Muted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2012 10:28:01 PM
At 11/29/2012 7:45:23 PM, phantom wrote:

Holiday!

But seriously, even in this country (my country) of majority Buddhist, Christmas is still called Christmas. Diwali is called Diwali. There's nothing wrong with that, and I don't know why some people need to go out of their way to try not to "offend" another person. It's becoming ridiculous.
Exterminate!!!!!!-Dalek.

The ability to speak does not make you a competent debater.

One does not simply do the rain dance.
Muted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2012 10:28:52 PM
At 11/29/2012 9:00:47 PM, DanT wrote:
The menorah is not a tree. The Christmas tree is a modern custom, derived from prechristian customs. By the 18th century Christmas trees started to become popular. By the 19th century it began to gain popularity worldwide, while being viewed as a "German custom".
By the 20th century it had become accepted as a "Christmas costom".

The Christmas tree is not a "holiday tree", but its also not of Christian origin.

+1
Exterminate!!!!!!-Dalek.

The ability to speak does not make you a competent debater.

One does not simply do the rain dance.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2012 12:24:15 AM
another post on my facebook wall:

This is so upsetting to me. Our governor is making a mockery of our state and is upsetting so many people in the process. I could not agree more with Bill O'Reilly. It's an embarrassment.
Open borders debate:
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2012 4:00:09 PM
I think its pretty stupid to call a christmas tree a holiday tree because christmas is the only well known holiday that uses a tree as part of its celebration.... I can understand being politically correct over the holidays, but I too think that this guy messed up on this one
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2012 5:41:39 PM
At 11/29/2012 7:45:23 PM, phantom wrote:

Holiday
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2012 10:45:11 PM
I think it is kinda hypocritical how Christians get offended when people call something "holiday", yet demand that no one should be offended when something is "christmas". I don't think calling something "holiday" or "christmas" is wrong. Either way its not a big deal.